The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Caring for others with chronic illnesses  (Read 237865 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: Caring for others with chronic illnesses
« Reply #1035 on: August 12, 2012, 09:15:51 PM »
My mom shaved her head on Monday. We went shopping for a hat, found one too. She started her walking again. She is doing 1/2 a mile a day. Her goal is by next week 1 mile a day. She uses a walker with wheels for support. The only problem is that she is loosing weight and muscle mass. I told her to buy some 5lbs wights to exercise with.

later, Tom

Thanks for keeping us posted. Tom. I saw your lovely picture of your family on FB.
My prayers continue to be with your Mom, you and your family.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #1036 on: August 13, 2012, 01:53:18 AM »
Your mother is showing such strength and courage, Tom. Thoughts with you all.

Offline MaineGirl

• Lighthouse Lady
  • Obsessed
  • Be gentle with yourself...
« Reply #1037 on: August 16, 2012, 05:04:41 PM »
(((((Kathryn)))))
"It is no accident that we all lie nestled together in the curves of the universe.  We are tugged by the forces of the celestial tides.  Time folds in on itself and outward again in gladness as we spin around, each of us an utter miracle in a sea of tiny white stars."  Jamien E. Morehouse

Offline MaineGirl

• Lighthouse Lady
  • Obsessed
  • Be gentle with yourself...
« Reply #1038 on: August 16, 2012, 05:05:02 PM »
(((((Tom)))))
"It is no accident that we all lie nestled together in the curves of the universe.  We are tugged by the forces of the celestial tides.  Time folds in on itself and outward again in gladness as we spin around, each of us an utter miracle in a sea of tiny white stars."  Jamien E. Morehouse

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #1039 on: August 16, 2012, 07:35:26 PM »
My younger brother is getting married on Friday Sept. 14th. One of my mother's last wishes. I might be starting a new job that week too. Working as a temp at Wells Fargo. Its not what I want, but it's something. Talk to my mother about this, she is very happy. She also thinks, shel'll make it  for the wedding. However, she indicated that she is going faster than she thought. Boy that was hard to deal with. I'm confused on what to do. Do I go or tell them I'll start after the wedding? I'm at the point of nervous breakdown.

Offline Tony_

• Obsessed
« Reply #1040 on: August 16, 2012, 09:06:27 PM »
  Tom, my heart goes out to you.  I've been in the same place, too, as have others here, as well.  Try not to stress out, and, yes, I know that's not easy.  As for what to do, you are the only one who can make the choice, but am hoping you have more options (about the job, and income), and that you check with the prospective employer (carefully), and factor in just what you can handle and what you can't.
 We are always going to be here for you, and please be sure, it's not wrong to let us go along with you, week by week, or even day by day. I feel very strongly, myself, in wishing for the least possible hurt for you, and your loved ones.  Get as much rest as you can, when you can !

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #1041 on: August 17, 2012, 09:39:23 AM »
Tom :-*
Brokeback short stories at storybyjanjo.livejournal.com

"Are birds free from the chains of the skyway?"
Ballad in plain D: Bob Dylan

Offline Sason

• The Proverbial Swenglish Axegirl
  • Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #1042 on: August 17, 2012, 11:42:13 AM »
Hang in there (((Tom)))

There is only so much you can do, try not to strain yourself.

Easily said, I know. But you need to save some strength for yourself too.   :-*

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #1043 on: September 25, 2012, 02:58:34 PM »
About my mom. I knew she would go down hill after my brother's wedding 2 weeks ago. Words are in my step-father's voice.

There has been a big change here with Dee. This morning she is in a lot of pain so now I suppose we are going to have to go on some strong pain killers and see if that helps. It is so hard to see this wonderful woman go down like this. I just hope and pray the Lord takes her fast so she don't have to put up with this, and also myself. It is going to be hard after she passes I know that but she will not be in any pain and if that book (Heaven is for Real) is right she will be in a lot better place. We both believe in Heaven and have very big faith in God so that dose help a lot. Dee is ready to go at any minute and if she could have her way she would go this morning. Please pray she goes soon and fast. Going to get hold of Hospice and see what they are going to do.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #1044 on: September 25, 2012, 03:10:55 PM »
((((Tom)))

I'm so sorry. :-* :-* :-*

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1045 on: September 25, 2012, 03:33:31 PM »
Dearest (((((Tom)))))

I am thinking so much of you and your Mom and family. Know that I am sending prayers for a peaceful final path for your Mom. I sent you an e-mail.

Much love to you, Tom and know that you have so many people here who love you.

:-*
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1046 on: September 25, 2012, 05:17:17 PM »
Prayers for you and your family, Tom.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1047 on: September 25, 2012, 07:26:31 PM »
Prayers and thoughts for you and your family, Tom. Hospice care is wonderful, my mother is experiencing the home equivalent now. They don't prolong suffering but make the time that remains as comfortable as possible.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Trigger Hippie

• nnln nlnn
  • Obsessed
  • Rob - você é minha vida
« Reply #1048 on: September 26, 2012, 07:44:51 AM »
Tom, I spent 7 years caring for my mother who had a continuously degenerating disease, while holding down a full-time job. There is nothing easy about it, particularly towards the end, but you know this. It is a very long grieving period.

There comes a time when they need to go, when they have had enough. It is not what those that remain behind want. Finding acceptance in that, doesn't make the loss any easier, however it does allow you to start thinking about yourself again.

It will be hard, all of it, but you must only do what you are able to do, try not to try for more than you can do. Remember yourself.

Your mother would want you to find a way forward, that is what you should do.

It does get better!

N.

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #1049 on: September 28, 2012, 02:10:44 AM »
what nick said...
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."