The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: BBM Fanart  (Read 193406 times)

mobody

Re: BBM Fanart
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 09:49:06 PM »
In Bailey's "Home Truths"  Randall gives Ennis an ultimatum

Please do not repost without permission

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 11:53:00 PM by mobody »

Offline PatSinnott

• Obsessed
  • You 'n Alma... That's a life...?
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 11:01:13 PM »

...pulling his guts out hand over hand a yard at a time.
"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country"- Edward Bernays, 1928

Offline Nax

• The Captain Underpants Enigma
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
  • A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
    • naxfun.com
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 03:48:06 AM »
OK I'm into this

Offline planetgal471

• Mistress of Metaphor
  • Obsessed
  • Race the Burning Sun
    • The Sacred Realm
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 10:36:21 AM »
Just thought I should post up some of my bigger stuff, too.

Jack, Ennis, and Sheep, being somber and mountainous.
"Speak what you think today in words as hard as cannonballs and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance

Offline planetgal471

• Mistress of Metaphor
  • Obsessed
  • Race the Burning Sun
    • The Sacred Realm
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 10:39:42 AM »

One Headlight, a tribute specifically to the last verse of the song by The Wallflowers:
Well this place is old
It feels just like a beat up truck
I turn the engine, but the engine doesn't turn
Well it smells of cheap wine & cigarettes
This place is always such a mess
Sometimes I think I'd like to watch it burn
I'm so alone, and I feel just like somebody else
Man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same
But somewhere here in between the city walls of dyin' dreams
I think her his death it must be killin' me
...We can drive it home
With one headlight
"Speak what you think today in words as hard as cannonballs and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance

Offline Cameron816

• Experienced
  • I 'as probably no fun anyways, was I?"
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 10:57:40 AM »
Has anyone come across any artist renditions of Jack and Ennis, based on the physical descriptions in the BBM short story by Annie Proulx?

My small personal tribute to BBM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GeGd29rJoY

Offline PatSinnott

• Obsessed
  • You 'n Alma... That's a life...?
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 11:21:58 AM »
Only in my imagination.  Heath and Jake are not what I pictured while reading the story.  Jack is kind of squatty, with slightly bucked teeth, large hips and haunches, Ennis lean, borderline bean pole.  At least in my mind from Annie's description. 
I must admit I like the images of Jake and Heath better, but the story makes it clear they were plain looking, rugged, almost homely.  A far cry from the movie!!

"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country"- Edward Bernays, 1928

Offline Cameron816

• Experienced
  • I 'as probably no fun anyways, was I?"
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2006, 11:47:00 AM »
Only in my imagination. Heath and Jake are not what I pictured while reading the story. Jack is kind of squatty, with slightly bucked teeth, large hips and haunches, Ennis lean, borderline bean pole. At least in my mind from Annie's description.
I must admit I like the images of Jake and Heath better, but the story makes it clear they were plain looking, rugged, almost homely. A far cry from the movie!!
Yeah, I'm sure.  But somehow I have a longing for 'truth', which is so much apart of this story.  For me, what the story does for me more so than the movie is the fact these were everyday men who worked a hard life and continued to love each other as their bodies wore down.  I just would love to see them with Annie's eyes as well.

My small personal tribute to BBM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GeGd29rJoY

Offline ChrisFewa

• Expert
  • take a step back
    • My heart mind and soul
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2006, 10:55:38 PM »
Without wax,

Chris

Offline Boris

• The Iceman melteth
  • Obsessed
  • I was just thinkin' out loud.
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2006, 03:54:16 AM »
Only in my imagination.  Heath and Jake are not what I pictured while reading the story.  Jack is kind of squatty, with slightly bucked teeth, large hips and haunches, Ennis lean, borderline bean pole.  At least in my mind from Annie's description. 
I must admit I like the images of Jake and Heath better, but the story makes it clear they were plain looking, rugged, almost homely.  A far cry from the movie!!

That reminds me of an old movie called Enchanted Cottage, starring Dororthy McGuire and Robert Young. It is a story about a homely spinster and a GI, deformed by war accident finding love and by the power of the enchanted cottage becoming beautiful only to each other and to nobody else.

In the beginning I thought that Ledger and Gyllenhaal were too stunningly beautiful for their roles but in a way I have found myself thinking that the Jack and Ennis in the novel saw each other as beautiful. And that the looks of Heath and Jake can be seen as reflection of beauty created by love and seen through lover's eyes.
"A theater is the most important sort of house in the world, because that's where people are shown what they could be if they wanted, and what they'd liked to be if they dared, and what they really are." -Tove Jansson-

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2006, 06:15:29 AM »
Has anyone come across any artist renditions of Jack and Ennis, based on the physical descriptions in the BBM short story by Annie Proulx?

tfmisc has posted some watercolors that were in the book wyoming stories (i think) over in the caption thread... you can find them by checking his latest posts, perhaps. they are very interesting! there's one of jack leaning against the front of his truck with a rifle jutting from his crotch. he is not the jack we know from the movie, that's for sure! there's another one of ennis fishing too.

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  Ang Lee

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2006, 06:20:29 AM »

if you cross your eyes, the type should float out in front.

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2006, 06:25:28 AM »

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2006, 06:29:21 AM »