The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: BBM Fanart  (Read 189720 times)

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
Re: BBM Fanart
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2006, 07:13:16 AM »
Only in my imagination.  Heath and Jake are not what I pictured while reading the story.  Jack is kind of squatty, with slightly bucked teeth, large hips and haunches, Ennis lean, borderline bean pole.  At least in my mind from Annie's description. 
I must admit I like the images of Jake and Heath better, but the story makes it clear they were plain looking, rugged, almost homely.  A far cry from the movie!!

That reminds me of an old movie called Enchanted Cottage, starring Dororthy McGuire and Robert Young. It is a story about a homely spinster and a GI, deformed by war accident finding love and by the power of the enchanted cottage becoming beautiful only to each other and to nobody else.

In the beginning I thought that Ledger and Gyllenhaal were too stunningly beautiful for their roles but in a way I have found myself thinking that the Jack and Ennis in the novel saw each other as beautiful. And that the looks of Heath and Jake can be seen as reflection of beauty created by love and seen through lover's eyes.

Boris, you have expressed in words my exact thoughts about this.  In fact, even before I saw the movie, I thought of them that way -- AP's descriptions don't conjure up two good looking men, but two realistic, rough-edged western types -- who saw the world in each other.  So I have always accepted Jake and Heath for that reason -- plus the fact that they both acted the parts extremely well.  If either of them had not been up to it, none of it would have worked.  But happily for us, they both did a great job, and IMO were true to the characters' spirits.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 12:39:39 PM by tellyouwhat »
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

mobody

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2006, 04:17:26 PM »
In Rabenkoenigen's Unexpected Visitor, Ennis comes to a crossroad of choosing a lifetime alone, or a life with Jack.

Screencaps are from Screencaphaven, Striped wall, Secret Obsession and other sources.
Do not repost on any other site without permission.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 01:52:38 AM by mobody »

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2006, 02:29:37 AM »

chris, i love the lyrical quality of the flames and the embers, like fireflies.

it sorta reminds me of this photo of my friend on the beach:

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline PatSinnott

• Obsessed
  • You 'n Alma... That's a life...?
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2006, 08:01:47 AM »

Jack's Dream Shattered
[/b]
"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country"- Edward Bernays, 1928

Offline Vic

• Obsessed
    • TalkAboutSexxx! Fun and serious talk about all things sex.
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2006, 08:05:19 AM »

I did some Photoshopping with our boys. Mostly by tweaking a combination of effects,
trying to capture the mood of the moment. Still working on them.

Vic

TalkAboutSexxx.com. It's all about sex appeal - Sex and the media.
Sex is funny - Sexy  humor.

mobody

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2006, 10:26:46 AM »

I did some Photoshopping with our boys. Mostly by tweaking a combination of effects,
trying to capture the mood of the moment. Still working on them.

What techniques did you use to get the cartoon effect?

Offline Vic

• Obsessed
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2006, 10:57:29 AM »
What techniques did you use to get the cartoon effect?

I wouldn't call clicking a few buttons and sliding a few sliders "techniques" but thanks. :)
Just playing around with Photoshop.

<checking> Filter effect is "Poster edges" which is what I started off with. Not sure about the rest anymore!

Vic

Offline amdaz

• Jackoholicus Maximus
  • Obsessed
  • Forever Blue
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2006, 12:21:01 PM »
I wouldn't call clicking a few buttons and sliding a few sliders "techniques" but thanks. :)
Just playing around with Photoshop.

<checking> Filter effect is "Poster edges" which is what I started off with. Not sure about the rest anymore!

Vic

I play around with effects when I am working on pictures too.  I really like the way that one turned out.   Most of the stuff I do is illustrations of scenes in fanfictions, so I have to do a lot of stuff to make the scene look like the passage in the story, but I would love to do a "comic strip" set and that would be a neat way to illustrate it.

Offline Vic

• Obsessed
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2006, 12:43:35 PM »
I love comics too, always have, and this posterized effect is usually one I try first when playing around with images.
It doesn't suit all though, like the sample below, which just makes it look like the boys have zits ! 
And we can't have that, can we.
 ;)

Vic

mobody

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2006, 01:18:26 PM »
I love comics too, always have, and this posterized effect is usually one I try first when playing around with images.
It doesn't suit all though, like the sample below, which just makes it look like the boys have zits ! 
And we can't have that, can we.

So it really just depends on the cap you choose.  That makes sense

Offline Vic

• Obsessed
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2006, 01:26:52 PM »
I think the picture or cap you start out with has a lot to do with which effect or combination of effects works best, yes.
Indoors, outdoors, the mood of the whole scene, etc.

Of course you can always get right down to it and start erasing pixels and use smoothing and blurring and all that, but call me lazy. I've capped thousands in my quest for the right images for the PhotoCaps thread and probably, until I've got this film broken down into all of its separate frames I won't be satisfied. I know, I'm obsessed... LOL

But now I do have an awful lot of images to play with!

;D
Vic

mobody

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2006, 01:34:55 PM »
I think the picture or cap you start out with has a lot to do with which effect or combination of effects works best, yes.
Indoors, outdoors, the mood of the whole scene, etc.

Of course you can always get right down to it and start erasing pixels and use smoothing and blurring and all that, but call me lazy. I've capped thousands in my quest for the right images for the PhotoCaps thread and probably, until I've got this film broken down into all of its separate frames I won't be satisfied. I know, I'm obsessed... LOL

But now I do have an awful lot of images to play with!

I havent done my own screencaps but I have sources from 8 different sites that have capped bbm.  every once in a while you get something that is just slightly different from what everyone else gets.  I have over 15,000 images saved, but I always seem to find more.

Offline Vic

• Obsessed
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2006, 01:46:59 PM »
15,000? OMG !

I thought I was bad, but you are BAAAAAD.
;D

But yeah, it's never perfect, is it? What you see in your mind and what you have to choose from always differ somewhere.

mobody

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2006, 02:20:29 PM »
15,000? OMG !

I thought I was bad, but you are BAAAAAD.
;D

But yeah, it's never perfect, is it? What you see in your mind and what you have to choose from always differ somewhere.

Helps to have a 400 gig harddrive.
That is so true about finding the perfect shot, but I have been pretty lucky to find stuff that will work.  What program do you use to do your capping?    I think you would have have one with a frame by frame advance to get just the right expression.  Seems like it is hit and miss from the caps I see posted.

Offline Vic

• Obsessed
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2006, 02:30:51 PM »
What program do you use to do your capping?    I think you would have have one with a frame by frame advance to get just the right expression.  Seems like it is hit and miss from the caps I see posted.

I use BS-Player Pro, which allows a 2x slowdown and is VERY easy to make caps with (just hit the P during playback). Not perfect but quite good. It also has other options which are quite helpful. The DVDrip I made of BBM won't be read in by Premiere, which does have a frame by frame function, so yes, it is hit and miss, which is why I just keep at it. But it's part of the fun. :)

Quick calc: 2 hr film = 120 minutes = 216000 frames (at 30 fps). You're still missing 200,000...  ;)

Vic