209 (43.8%)
The Book
45 (9.4%)
Equal
198 (41.5%)
Haven't seen/read both yet
25 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 437

Author Topic: Film vs. Book -- Which was better?  (Read 292611 times)

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
Re: Film vs. Book -- Which was better?
« Reply #630 on: February 26, 2008, 11:22:01 AM »
Romeo, I agree, both were exceptional pieces of work. Each in their own way caused the audiences to react, and every reading or viewing seems to elict new thoughts and reactions..........at least for me.............

Offline BookJunkie

• Feet Wet
« Reply #631 on: March 05, 2008, 12:22:51 AM »
Difficult one - I think they were both wonderful, but I think I would have to go for the film, which I have watched many many times.  The book I have read about three times.  I think if someone said that I could only ever read the book or watch the movie in the future, I would have to choose the movie.  Heath and Jake looked nothing like the way I had imagined Ennis and Jack when reading the story, but my goodness, they certainly made those parts their own.  Heath is Ennis and Jake is Jack.

Offline Marz

• heaths little angel
  • Obsessed
« Reply #632 on: March 05, 2008, 06:44:16 AM »
i love both but if i had to choose i would choose the film because i think heath and jake got there characters spot on and they literally bring the story to life and i really couldn't see anyone else in either of the roles
John 'Marz' Wayne

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #633 on: March 07, 2008, 02:43:25 PM »
Hi Marz, for me it was the Book............the film performances and chemistry between the actors was unmatched for this material and screenplay, hats off to all the actors and crew.The written word always affects me much more than a performance, film or stage. Annie was able to convey sooo much with so few words, amazing writing..........I expected to be gut-punched, and just a wreck upon the first viewing of the film, but no, so I went back 2 more times, nothing. Yet I can pick up the Book, and it moves me every time; I always find some new nuance or phrase I missed before..........Jonn

Desecra

« Reply #634 on: March 08, 2008, 12:25:17 AM »
It's still the book which is staying with me too.

Offline Oregondoggie

• Expert
« Reply #635 on: March 08, 2008, 12:53:13 AM »
This mountain that is the book looms larger and larger the further time passes.  New film versions with different nuances will come along down the years.  Perhaps a stage play as has happened in The Netherlands.  Like a great concerto, Brokeback Mountain will find new conductors and different orchestras.  The score is there... waiting. 

Offline Marz

• heaths little angel
  • Obsessed
« Reply #636 on: March 09, 2008, 09:15:36 AM »
Hi Marz, for me it was the Book............the film performances and chemistry between the actors was unmatched for this material and screenplay, hats off to all the actors and crew.The written word always affects me much more than a performance, film or stage. Annie was able to convey sooo much with so few words, amazing writing..........I expected to be gut-punched, and just a wreck upon the first viewing of the film, but no, so I went back 2 more times, nothing. Yet I can pick up the Book, and it moves me every time; I always find some new nuance or phrase I missed before..........Jonn

Im not really a very good reader so its easier for me to watch the film and also i love seeing the chemistry between heath and jake which obviously you don't get in the book
John 'Marz' Wayne

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #637 on: March 09, 2008, 09:26:34 AM »
Actually, Marz, the characters of Ennis and Jack seem VERY real in the book.  No they don't look like Heath and Jake but it doesn't seem to matter, because we inhabit their inner thoughts and passions.

That doesn't mean you have to suddenly become a reader of difficult stuff -- many people find the prose of BBM very sparse and even unsatisfying.

NOT me.  Like others, I am finding even now that when I re-visit that powerful language of Annie Proulx, the power of the story rushes over me again.  Her words will endure
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
« Reply #638 on: March 09, 2008, 11:08:53 PM »
This mountain that is the book looms larger and larger the further time passes.  New film versions with different nuances will come along down the years.  Perhaps a stage play as has happened in The Netherlands.  Like a great concerto, Brokeback Mountain will find new conductors and different orchestras.  The score is there... waiting. 

Much as I love the book, I'm inclined to think the film will influence any future incarnations of the story, simply because it was more easily accessible emotionally than the SS.

Offline Oregondoggie

• Expert
« Reply #639 on: March 09, 2008, 11:53:17 PM »
Certainly agree that the film will influence future incarnations of the story.  As to which was more "easily accessible emotionally"... I would say that is a subjective opinion lying in the heart of each individual. 

Asking which was better is like asking whether the land is better than the ocean.

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
« Reply #640 on: March 10, 2008, 04:02:36 AM »
Far enough. I was just making wild assumptions about movie audiences as opposed to book readers. However, it's probably not coincidental that sites like this one sprang up after the film rather than after the story.

BTW I love the SS as much as the film, and find its emotional impact equally overwhelming, but you have to work more when reading the story whereas the film just lays it all out for you, at least initially. Then the lifetime of analysis begins  :)

Offline Dal

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
  • Skim milk masquerades as cream
« Reply #641 on: March 10, 2008, 12:57:22 PM »
~you have to work more when reading the story whereas the film just lays it all out for you, at least initially. Then the lifetime of analysis begins  :)
i know it has that effect on some people!!

Mommy, can I be on the kill list when I gwow up?
Of course honey, any American can -- thanks to President Obama!!

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #642 on: March 10, 2008, 02:47:34 PM »
DAL!!! hahaha..... ;D ;D.......thanks for the laugh... :)!

Offline kula

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #643 on: March 27, 2008, 11:34:06 AM »
Apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum.  But this deal won't last long.

BbM Story to Screenplay Book for $0.01 at Bestbuy.com!!!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7761219&productCategoryId=cat02049&type=product&id=1532479

That is all.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #644 on: March 27, 2008, 01:45:56 PM »
Kula, haha........thanks for that post. can it be real?