The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: At Jack's Parents  (Read 372891 times)

Offline David

• Experienced
Re: Scene: At Jack's Parents
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 02:39:13 PM »
I have been thinking lately about the fact that those shirts were hanging in that closet for 20 years.

He pressed his face into the fabric and breathed in slowly through his mouth and nose, hoping for the faintest smoke and mountain sage and salty sweet stink of Jack but there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain of which nothing was left but what he held in his hands.
The huge sadness of the Northern plains rolled down on him.

Offline PetterG

• Obsessed
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 02:56:21 PM »
the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain
what power is Anne P talking about here?
if you cannot fix it - you've gotta stand it
if you cannot stand it - you gotta fix it

Offline MellorSJ

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 03:22:04 PM »
There's a rather moving review over on Yahoo (among all the trash) that is especially in love with this scene:

http://movies.yahoo.com/mvc/dfrv?mid=1808403312&s=rc_d&rvid=255-628017&i=1&spl=1&ys=YRVWHtUTldPEcu5q0YqHOg--

Offline sapstar

• Feet Wet
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2006, 05:58:22 PM »
There's a rather moving review over on Yahoo (among all the trash) that is especially in love with this scene:

http://movies.yahoo.com/mvc/dfrv?mid=1808403312&s=rc_d&rvid=255-628017&i=1&spl=1&ys=YRVWHtUTldPEcu5q0YqHOg--

Wow...  that IS a great review.   A refreshing one.

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2006, 06:45:46 PM »

That is a beautifully written review.  (and I'm not biased.  ;) )  He does capture the essence of Jack's mother.
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline Sam in Chicago

• Feet Wet
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 09:37:32 PM »
Gee, that's such a touching and heartfelt review, I wish I could tell him "Thank you!".
It's because of you, Jack, I'm like this...nothing...nowhere....

Offline DaveL

• Obsessed
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2006, 09:55:09 PM »
PetterG, Reply 17,  This may be an aside to the audience, like some of the remarks Hamlet makes in asides (including his very first line in the play).

Remember the author at the beginning refers to the protagonists being "brought together on paper" by Farm and Ranch Employment?  They were really brought together on paper by the author.

So, as the book draws to its tragic close (prefigured in the two italicized paragraphs omitted from the first publication in NYer), the reference to the "imagined power of Brokeback Mountain" is, at least in part, a reference, or appeal,  to the reader's imagination.

"De te fabula narratur."
"Ennis del Mar wakes before five....The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft..It could be bad on the highway with the horsetrailer.He has to be packed and away from the place that morning...The wind strikes the trailer like a load of dirt coming off a dump truck, eases, dies...."

Offline Caroline

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2006, 10:19:42 PM »
Gee, that's such a touching and heartfelt review, I wish I could tell him "Thank you!".

HMG, I just read it too, is there any way to write to this reviewer,.,,, It brought tears to my eyes as I remember the scenes with Roberta..wow was that well written. I would love to ask him to review other scenes just to get his reaction... this is one review that should be sent to someone like Gene Shallit,, A**hole that he is...   
How strong a person is can be measured by what it takes to discourage them.... church sign, Trafalgar Rd, Georgetown, Ont Canada.. 01/30/2006

Offline scot5636

• Experienced
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 10:33:34 AM »

HMG, I just read it too, is there any way to write to this reviewer,.,,, It brought tears to my eyes as I remember the scenes with Roberta..wow was that well written. I would love to ask him to review other scenes just to get his reaction... this is one review that should be sent to someone like Gene Shallit,, A**hole that he is...   

Because it's a Yahoo review, I think if you can reach him at txgrandpa65@yahoo.com.

Offline justmeincal

• Feet Wet
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2006, 04:20:46 PM »
Caroline,
There is a yahoo profile listed for txgrandpa65.  Perhaps you should write him and let him know how much you (we) enjoyed his review.  I would be honored to meet such a kind, observant fellow.
Maybe even invite him to join our discussions here!
Steve

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2006, 05:39:16 AM »
the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain
what power is Anne P talking about here?

Maybe the same power that has brought all of us here, Petter. 

"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline outrageous4u

• Virgin
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2006, 10:35:36 AM »
when Jacks dad tells Ennis about the other man Jack talked about and how they were going to help out at the farm, was this true or just something made up to hurt Ennis...and is it is true who is the other man...the guy at the dance whose wife talked a lot....i am surprised Jack would be involved with another guy...i thought Ennis was the only one, relationship-wise..anyone?

Offline Jack Nasty

• Obsessed
  • aka: Tim
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2006, 10:55:40 AM »
when Jacks dad tells Ennis about the other man Jack talked about and how they were going to help out at the farm, was this true or just something made up to hurt Ennis...and is it is true who is the other man...the guy at the dance whose wife talked a lot....i am surprised Jack would be involved with another guy...i thought Ennis was the only one, relationship-wise..anyone?

I think it is Randall (from the dance). I think Jack may have given up on Ennis after the last meeting. I am not sure if I feel comfortable with my interpretation but I am wondering if Jack's flashback to Brokeback was him cementing that perfect memory of Ennis in his mind to replace the tortured, tormented soul he (Ennis) has become. Perhaps he moved on to Randal (who might be happy to get rid of Lashawn) to try and eek out something close to real happiness.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 11:18:04 AM by Jack Nasty »
FUR IS DEAD! for more inFURmation: http://www.infurmation.com/

Offline scot5636

• Experienced
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2006, 11:04:20 AM »

I think most of us assume this refers to Randall, the ranch foreman Jack met at that Dancehall/Country Club in Texas.  Outside, while their wives powder their noses, Randall suggests that he and Jack get away to a fishing cabin.  The tension in that scene certainly implies that there's more than fishing on Randall's mind.  And, of course, fishing has always been the ruse that Jack and Ennis have used as the smokescreen for their get-aways, so it's pretty clear that "fishing" is the "wink, wink, nod, nod" term for sex.  It has also been posited that, in their last time together, when Jack claims that he is having an affair with the ranch foreman's wife, he's actually referring to the affair he's having with Randall.  That admission (even though it was a lie) is followed by Jack's more telling admission "Truth is . . . sometimes I miss you so bad, I just can't stand it."  Ennis is the love of his life, but Ennis has never been willing to give Jack what Jack desperately needs.  He's not like Ennis -- he can't just "stand it" and do without the physical relationship.  So he seeks it out other places.

Hope that's helpful.

Offline lauren

• Obsessed
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2006, 11:16:31 AM »

I think most of us assume this refers to Randall, the ranch foreman Jack met at that Dancehall/Country Club in Texas.  Outside, while their wives powder their noses, Randall suggests that he and Jack get away to a fishing cabin.  The tension in that scene certainly implies that there's more than fishing on Randall's mind.  And, of course, fishing has always been the ruse that Jack and Ennis have used as the smokescreen for their get-aways, so it's pretty clear that "fishing" is the "wink, wink, nod, nod" term for sex.  It has also been posited that, in their last time together, when Jack claims that he is having an affair with the ranch foreman's wife, he's actually referring to the affair he's having with Randall.  That admission (even though it was a lie) is followed by Jack's more telling admission "Truth is . . . sometimes I miss you so bad, I just can't stand it."  Ennis is the love of his life, but Ennis has never been willing to give Jack what Jack desperately needs.  He's not like Ennis -- he can't just "stand it" and do without the physical relationship.  So he seeks it out other places.

Hope that's helpful.

Scott, that's my take on that scene on the bench as well. Randall is just a tempting physical outlet, a poor replacement for Ennis. That look on Jack's face in that scene when Randall mentions the fishing...he knows what's going on, and he looks so tortured. During the silence before the women come out, his eyes are downcast, sad. He's thinking about Ennis. He only wants to be with Ennis. You really feel the agony Jack is going through.