The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: At Jack's Parents  (Read 374830 times)

Offline HunterPDX

• Feet Wet
Re: Scene: At Jack's Parents
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2006, 04:20:36 PM »
And you know he will never go back...he couldn't... there is no comfort in that house for Ennis. He has taken the only thing that is Jack to him..."He pressed his face into the fabric and breathed in slowly through his mouth and nose, hoping for the faintest smoke and mountain sage and salty sweet stink of Jack but there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain of which nothing was left but what he held in his hands.." they couldn't have filmed that better....

Todd

Though I could conceivably see him returning if Jack's mom were ever widowed. 

I had a funny little *wish*, too...when she gives Jack the paper bag, it sure looks to me like there is already something in it.  Would be nice to think she slipped Ennis a small jar with some of Jack's ashes.  I doubt it--and it's certainly not keeping with Annie's story--but imagination is allowed some license, right?

Offline DaveL

• Obsessed
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2006, 04:44:05 PM »
WJP58: 

Woolies are sheep.  From this remark I infer dad did this when J must have been very very young, to start to teach him to ride.  Then, as dad became aware of his son's orientation, he never took it any further, never showed him any of his craft as a rider, because he rejected what he sensed in his son.

Both protagonists are high school dropouts.  I infer J must have hung around a horsefarm or so and been self-taught to a large extent as a rodeo rider (the way my brother was in the 50's).
"Ennis del Mar wakes before five....The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft..It could be bad on the highway with the horsetrailer.He has to be packed and away from the place that morning...The wind strikes the trailer like a load of dirt coming off a dump truck, eases, dies...."

Offline phlmale

• Experienced
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2006, 04:56:25 PM »
And you know he will never go back...he couldn't... there is no comfort in that house for Ennis. He has taken the only thing that is Jack to him..."He pressed his face into the fabric and breathed in slowly through his mouth and nose, hoping for the faintest smoke and mountain sage and salty sweet stink of Jack but there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain of which nothing was left but what he held in his hands.." they couldn't have filmed that better....

Todd

Though I could conceivably see him returning if Jack's mom were ever widowed. 

I had a funny little *wish*, too...when she gives Jack the paper bag, it sure looks to me like there is already something in it.  Would be nice to think she slipped Ennis a small jar with some of Jack's ashes.  I doubt it--and it's certainly not keeping with Annie's story--but imagination is allowed some license, right?

I really try hard not to give in to any softening of the tragic end to this story...but I tell ya, during my last (3rd) viewing of the movie, eyes wet, I was imagining the exact same thing...would Ennis be back to Lightning Flats after Jack's father died, arrange with Jack's mother to dig up the ashes, and go up to Brokeback as Jack requested...

Offline shonuff07

• Experienced
  • " Do I look like I can afford a roping horse ? "
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2006, 05:01:24 PM »

Now that, would have been cool....of course this would have given we the audience too much closure ;) So, no go.
But I can totally see the mother doing just that HunterPDX.....I like it.
" Do I look like I can afford a roping horse ? "

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2006, 05:11:32 PM »
I really try hard not to give in to any softening of the tragic end to this story...but I tell ya, during my last (3rd) viewing of the movie, eyes wet, I was imagining the exact same thing...would Ennis be back to Lightning Flats after Jack's father died, arrange with Jack's mother to dig up the ashes, and go up to Brokeback as Jack requested...

Thats so sweet...one can only hope... but Annie knew what she was doing with the end..."he didn't want to know Jack was going in there, to be buried on the grieving plain..." if you cant fix it, you gotta stand it
"maybe you should get outa there...move someplace different...maybe Texas."

Offline shonuff07

• Experienced
  • " Do I look like I can afford a roping horse ? "
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2006, 05:30:08 PM »

Thats so sweet...one can only hope... but Annie knew what she was doing with the end..."he didn't want to know Jack was going in there, to be buried on the grieving plain..." if you cant fix it, you gotta stand it

Well, I saw it again last night too......He knew what his buddy's dying wish was............and Ennis is starting to make some baby steps in responding to the needs of the ones you love ( i.e...his daughters wedding instead of his job )...........maybe he would have returned to feel the potential widow out concerning Jack's ashes...who was all but to inviting..." you come back again   "..............( eyes wet ) It certainly is a pleasant possibility.
            And let's remember " If you can't fix it...you gotta stand it..."           well, he just might be able to fix this one....

" Jack...I swear "
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 05:42:51 PM by shonuff07 »
" Do I look like I can afford a roping horse ? "

Offline phlmale

• Experienced
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2006, 05:55:04 PM »
well said shonuff07..true or not it's a nice thought

Offline raku

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2006, 07:43:33 PM »
I'm interested to know what people make of the shirts being at Lightning Flat instead of in Childress. I would have thought Jack would keep the shirts with him.  I know they're with Jack's parents in the short story, and I don't think Ang Lee changes much from the novella so much as omits events in the novella, but I had some trouble reconciling the clear importance of the shirts to Jack, with their location where he don't hardly never see them.  Seemed a bit odd.

Offline Scott88

• Experienced
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2006, 08:18:44 PM »
Raku, I believe Jack kept the shirts at his parent's place because it had always been his wish to bring Ennis up to his parent's ranch under the pretense of "whipping it into shape" (per his father's words). 

That is where he harbored the hope that he and Ennis could live a life together.  So it's fitting he kept the shirts there.

Offline David

• Experienced
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2006, 08:30:49 PM »
Raku, I believe Jack kept the shirts at his parent's place because it had always been his wish to bring Ennis up to his parent's ranch under the pretense of "whipping it into shape" (per his father's words). 

That is where he harbored the hope that he and Ennis could live a life together.  So it's fitting he kept the shirts there.

Also, in Wyoming the shirts would be away from Lureen. She might try to wash them, ask, "Why is their blood on them?", or wonder why two shirts are together.
The huge sadness of the Northern plains rolled down on him.

Offline phlmale

• Experienced
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2006, 08:31:55 PM »
I agree..the shirts were safely hidden from Lureen up there.  in addition, he often went up to see his folks at the end of a visit with Ennis...the shirts at his parent's place allowed him to be with Ennis a little longer, in a sense..allowed him to try and experience that Brokeback Mtn moment again before returning to his miserable life in Texas.

odd any mother would let bloody shirts just sit there..that always struck me as odd..i'm certain she knew they were there
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 08:35:51 PM by phlmale »

Offline cricket99999

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2006, 08:32:52 PM »
I'm interested to know what people make of the shirts being at Lightning Flat instead of in Childress. I would have thought Jack would keep the shirts with him.  I know they're with Jack's parents in the short story, and I don't think Ang Lee changes much from the novella so much as omits events in the novella, but I had some trouble reconciling the clear importance of the shirts to Jack, with their location where he don't hardly never see them.  Seemed a bit odd.

Hi Raku,

I think Jack thought of the shirts as safest there.  He appreciated that his mother never changed things around in his boyhood bedroom.  Contrast that with Jack asking Lureen where his parka went; he coulda swore it was in that room, and we see him look in that closet and it's her office supplies...

Of course the real reason Annie Proulx had the shirts in Wyoming is that Ennis never would have found them if Jack kept them in Texas.

Offline David

• Experienced
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2006, 08:37:13 PM »
odd any mother would let bloody shirts just sit there..that always struck me as odd..i'm certain she knew they were there

When asked about them, Jack undoubtedly told his mother to "leave them be" and "don't wash them."
The huge sadness of the Northern plains rolled down on him.

Offline phlmale

• Experienced
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2006, 08:39:14 PM »

Of course the real reason Annie Proulx had the shirts in Wyoming is that Ennis never would have found them if Jack kept them in Texas.

LOL--like the Las Vegas slogan..what happens in Wyoming stays in Wyoming!

Offline phlmale

• Experienced
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2006, 08:40:45 PM »

When asked about them, Jack undoubtedly told his mother to "leave them be" and "don't wash them."

you must be right...but did that ever work with your mother?  Never did with mine... ;)