The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Questions or Comments About the Rules  (Read 26160 times)

Offline Melisande

• Obsessed
    • LiveJournal
Questions or Comments About the Rules
« on: January 01, 2006, 11:43:23 PM »
Questions or comments?
let be, let be

Offline adamblast

• Obsessed
  • that's where our hearts both belong
Re: Questions or Comments About the Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 11:55:28 PM »
Should such action be needed, I'd suggest that week-long suspensions might be a middle alternative to warnings and outright bannings, if the forum software allows for such things...  It's also a way to strongly reprimand people who have made great contributions in the past but take disagreements too personally...

Offline Diego

• Feet Wet
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 01:17:06 AM »
From what i've seen, everyone here seems mature enough to understand that these are basic rules of conduct. I assume there will be an alotted number of warnings, and the banning will be a result of the severeness of the "crime" if you will.

I doubt anyone who comes willingly to talk about the film will have a problem witht he rules. I think these rules [mostly] apply to the people who come to cause trouble.

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 02:10:01 AM »
i'm blown away by the lack of flaming and trolls on this forum, i swear, there's more hatred on hamster message boards! it boggles the mind -- maybe there is some magic going on -- unless the mods are just super efficient. i've been on a while this weekend and haven't seen a single malicious posting aside from a "jake is a slut" comment ;D :D :o (i tend to agree,,, not necessarily a bad thing, lol)

happy rose bowl parade day, hahaha. we're getting rain here, so it might rain on the parade. interesting to note that the pride parade in LA has never been rained out... more of that ol' gay magic, i suppose. or maybe it's just cuz it's in the summertime.

oh, sorry, way off topic.. anyway,, thanks for your good work on the forum!   

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline PetterG

• Obsessed
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 02:32:10 AM »
regarding the lack of hatred here: I think it is 'thanks to' that this site isn't so very well know, it is only the most totally BBM-ized persons who will find it.
if you cannot fix it - you've gotta stand it
if you cannot stand it - you gotta fix it

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 04:48:21 AM »
petter...

i agree that our relative anonymity is in part responsible for the lack of flaming and trolls, but i also know, from behind the scenes experience, that it is the firm yet gentle hands of our volunteer moderating crew and dave himself that have been "shepherding", if you will, this diverse flock.

if we as a community remember our party manners, those of the heckling type, trolls, as i have learned to call them, will stand out like a sore thumb, and they will either leave, because they get no in kind response, which is boring, or they will be quietly removed.

remember folks, DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Jack   
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline ozwitch

• Experienced
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 10:39:56 PM »
I have a posting question:

Double posting

Do you prefer that we not post twice in a row? I know some fora are very strict on this. I always try to edit the last post instead of posting again if something else occurs to me, but sometimes that comment gets lost and not replied to if it's in the one post.

Offline Melisande

• Obsessed
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 10:43:48 PM »
That kind of double posting is fine. The way the board goes sometimes, an edit might well be overlooked.
let be, let be

Offline zachUK

• Experienced
  • Born & Raised in Kamloops, ranching country!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 04:30:46 PM »
The problem with highly moderated environments such as this site is that they end up being sanitized to such a degree that any passion people have about a subject easily becomes self-censored (or, in my case, censored by the moderator).  The organizers of this site have chosen this approach, which is of course their right ... just seems a shame to me.  I expect I am in the slim minority in this view ... ah well.

Offline Melisande

• Obsessed
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 11:43:38 PM »
zachUK's post was left intact except for one sentence. Passionate debate is encouraged. Telling another poster to "f* off" is not. This forum is open to all viewpoints and all arguments about those viewpoints. Personal attacks are not acceptable. 
let be, let be

Offline zachUK

• Experienced
  • Born & Raised in Kamloops, ranching country!
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 01:52:34 AM »
zachUK's post was left intact except for one sentence. Passionate debate is encouraged. Telling another poster to "f* off" is not. This forum is open to all viewpoints and all arguments about those viewpoints. Personal attacks are not acceptable. 

I disagree with your definition of a personal attack.  If I had called someone names, slandered them or impuned their character, that would be a personal attack.  Telling someone to f-off is a passionate and colourful way of indicating that the persons comments are so offensive that one is no longer interested in continuing any form of dialog with them. 

Offline janni

• Virgin
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 02:03:59 PM »
Any time a message board has more than 3 members it's a good idea to have posting rules in place. You just never know how people will act up when given a chance and I've seen message boards go down in flames over posting wars. It's not pretty.

Case in point, a poster from this board, came to the official site for Jake Gyllenhaal to promote this board. Nothing wrong with that, people do it all the time. However we have rules about fan sites and how they are to be posted. You post the link in the links section and then make a post telling everyone you have done so. This way if people can't find it, you don't have to go through hundreds of posts looking for it, you can just tell them to check the links section.

Sounds reasonable right? I sent the poster an email informing them that fan site links were to be posted in the links section.You would not believe the hissy fit, that the poster from this board threw! They got very insulting towards the posters of Jake's board and just downright nasty. I mean, they didn't even ask for an explanation they just went ballistic.

Luckily, Jake's message board is moderated because of some problems we had a few years ago and they weren't able to start an all out flame war. If their post had gone through as written, it would have been a disaster!

So, yeah, moderation is a necessary evil.

Anyway, they never did post the link to this board, so I did it myself and I'll make a post saying so. You may be getting a few new posters. Please treat them gently. I like them all very much. ;)

Offline Marge_Innavera

• Obsessed
  • I'M WITH HER
    • Gift of Exile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 09:27:43 AM »
I have a question about a specific newspaper article, and how to address it on this forum.

A religion columnist at the Kansas City Star wrote a remarkable piece titled "Same-Sex Story Has Its Sacred Role To Play."  It ran on December 28th (a few weeks before the film opened in the KC area), and can obtained via the Star's website, but the site only displays articles from the last two weeks or so - anything earlier, they charge for reprints ($2.95).  Of course, I can post a link if people really want to pay the fee, but I'd be willing to scan the column and email it to people who are interested.

Anyone have suggestions for what the best approach would be?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 09:29:14 AM by Marge_Innavera »
" 'Red' states are the meth labs of democracy."

Offline Melisande

• Obsessed
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 11:26:17 PM »
The best approach would be to post the link and a small excerpt from the article. People who are interested will then be able to find it.

Thanks for finding that!
let be, let be

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
  • Darkness belongs to night skies & nothing else
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 02:47:49 PM »
Just wanted to publicly thank the modertors for helping with a potentially sticky situation in a fast efficient and fair way...

So thank you (You know who you are...)
The Greatest thing is to love and be loved in return...

Or

To breakfast at PRADA