The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Poll

What scene on BBM did you like best (other than the tent scenes)

Jack naked in the river washing clothes
16 (2.4%)
Ennis naked by the tent washing himself
38 (5.7%)
Ennis alone in the field on their last day on BBM
86 (13%)
Water-walking Jesus scene
44 (6.7%)
Jack smiles when Ennis talks so much and then dances around
206 (31.2%)
Jack tries to wash the blood off Ennis' face
115 (17.4%)
Ennis looks up from washing dishes and sees Jack far above
86 (13%)
Untangling the sheep and then Ennis telling Jack he might run them off again
41 (6.2%)
Other--post below to tell us
29 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 384

Author Topic: Scenes on Brokeback Mountain  (Read 342025 times)

Offline Melisande

• Chief Moderator
  • Obsessed
    • LiveJournal
Scenes on Brokeback Mountain
« on: January 08, 2006, 09:44:14 AM »
Discuss the scenes on Brokeback, except the first and second nights in the tent, which have their own threads.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 06:31:49 AM by peteinportland »
let be, let be

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
Re: Scene: Scenes on Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 09:56:11 PM »
You know, I am surprised that no one has posted anything about the BBM scenes since they take up the first 1/3 of the movie. I think this portion of the movie is the part many people have the hardest time with. It is slow moving, and for many, not much seems to happen. For the casual, first time viewer, it is hard to really catch on to the "mating dance" between Jack and Ennis or understand how this time in Eden affects the rest of their lives. Lee shoots these scenes SOOO understated that sometimes I wish he showed a bit more of them falling in love (both before and after the tent scenes).

For me, the more times I see this movie, the more I really appreciate the small nuances of these scenes and what Lee does show the mating dance and the very small ways we see the two of them in love. With movies that are love stories, we often get hit over the head with the big scenes and big moments. However, in real life, love is really about the small moments, the things that are barely discernable to those on the outside looking in. Hmmm. I guess Lee knew what he was doing after all. It is not his fault that in our society we want love on screen to happen on a grand scale.

Offline Caroline

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 10:51:56 PM »
Pete,

I think we have become innured to "love on screen in a grand scale" what Ang and Heath and Jake show us is so real.... it is the small things that we see in the mountain scenes that upon further viewing shows how they find out that they can trust each other,, neither of them shirked their responsibilities of those thousand sheep, making camp, cooking meals,,, companionship and a touching of souls that leads up to their moment of epiphany... the first time in the tent, and then the next day.... very well done..
How strong a person is can be measured by what it takes to discourage them.... church sign, Trafalgar Rd, Georgetown, Ont Canada.. 01/30/2006

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 10:56:15 PM »
OK Pete, here goes.
 There a multiple scenes during this time that show us the growing friendship and affection and gradually love between these two.  The one in the film that is my favorite is when Ennis tells Jack is story about growing up and being raised by his older siblings
Jack gives Ennis that funny look and Ennis give him a quizzical 'whut?'
'Friend that's more words than you spoke in two weeks'
Sweet smile from Ennis and 'That's more words than I spoke in a year'

more or less give me the feel for what Annie described in the book;
...tossing sticks on the fire to keep the talk going, talking horses and rodeo, roughstock ...They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected. Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline Jack Nasty

• Obsessed
  • aka: Tim
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 10:32:50 AM »
As reported here:

Here's the French site that includes a clip of the reunion scene...

http://www.pathedistribution.com/accueil/videos.php?start=0&IDFilm=610

There are some clips  in French or with subtitles (first one dubbed the second one with subtitles). In the trailer there are some flashes that are unfamiliar to me. An embrace in the tent (Ennis putting his arm around Jack), one of 'em on a bridge (Jack?), Ennis and Jack in a truck (Jack driving). Anyone else? Maybe I need to go see it again ASAP. Can't imagine I've missed these scenes. Would Europe get a different cut?

I hope deleted scened make it on the DVD!
FUR IS DEAD! for more inFURmation: http://www.infurmation.com/

Offline justmeincal

• Feet Wet
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 01:48:28 PM »
There were a number of scenes that bowled me over while watching the film.  Of course the shirt scene hit me the hardest.

However, as time passes, I can't get the scene of Ennis sitting on the hill alone after Jack tells him they are leaving the mountain out of my thoughts.

I think Ennis is crushed.  He had found happiness for the first time in his life and felt it was being torn away from him.  He probably had no idea at the time that he would ever see Jack again after that day.  He was a seriously scarred young man who felt the one good thing he had found in his life was being ripped from him.

Just my take, of course.
Steve

Offline MellorSJ

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 03:33:44 PM »
There were a number of scenes that bowled me over while watching the film.  Of course the shirt scene hit me the hardest.

However, as time passes, I can't get the scene of Ennis sitting on the hill alone after Jack tells him they are leaving the mountain out of my thoughts.
This scene is on the French site, so I *have* seen it (!)  What absolutely rocks me is the back and forth of emotion from Ennis.  First his anger at Aguirre, then taking it out on Jack when he offers him money, then sitting alone, then being amused by the lasso, then the wrestling foreplay, then punching Jack out.  All in what?  10 seconds? 

And there are people who say this movie is slow????  Reminds me of Linda Hunt as Billy Kwan says in what used to be my favorite movie, "You just have to listen more carefully."

Offline justmeincal

• Feet Wet
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 04:06:24 PM »
MellorSJ,
Yes, it is a great scene.  Ennis is so child-like in it.  I just wanted to walk into the screen, hug him and tell him 'it will be okay little darlin'.
Steve

Offline MellorSJ

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 04:23:46 PM »
MellorSJ,
Yes, it is a great scene.  Ennis is so child-like in it.  I just wanted to walk into the screen, hug him and tell him 'it will be okay little darlin'.
Steve

I agree with you completely, but we might get punched! 

I have a question for the ladies who have men.  Seems to me Ennis is how he is partly (we know the other reasons) just because he's a man.  Assuming that Ennis wouldn't punch you, what you do under these circumstances?  He's hurting; you want to help; he's hurting so bad he can't talk.  You do what? 

-- another Steve (that's what the S is for)

lynn

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 04:50:59 PM »
He's hurting; you want to help; he's hurting so bad he can't talk.  You do what? 

Oh boy, there's a live wire of a question. Probably very dependent on the specific man, but in my case, if he wants to sulk, I back off. He knows I'm there if he needs me. Or use a little gentle humor, if possible, as Jack did with the lasso. If I push it, I'm "mothering" him, which is apparently a terrible thing to do, even though I think one reason men value their wives is for our nurturing abilities. (And many of my friends would give exactly the same answer)

While Ennis has many issues, I think you are spot on with this one. He rejects tenderness from Jack on many occasions -- after the bloody nose, after the bear attack, even during the final breakdown scene, at least momentarily. He learned early on to take care of himself and not show weakness or vulnerability. If he accepts nurturing, he is really admitting that at that moment, he needs help.

Thank god he accepted it in tent scene 2 or we'd have much less to talk about!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 04:55:06 PM by lynn »

Offline MellorSJ

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 05:23:20 PM »
He's hurting; you want to help; he's hurting so bad he can't talk.  You do what? 
If I push it, I'm "mothering" him, which is apparently a terrible thing to do,

I read this, up to the comma, and had a visceral "Get away from me!" reaction.  Then I read the rest and shock set in.

My first thought was "Lynn!  Of course it's a terrible thing to do!"  But I'm damned if I can articulate why. 

Best guess: It threatens masculinity.  Nurturing is all very well, but the man has to be in control of it.  Maybe?

(Oh, and yes.  I do love my mother :) )

Offline lena

• Experienced
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 07:29:33 PM »
I'm glad this thread was added - I really liked the scene where the sheep became all mixed up, and Jack was pissed over and overwhelmed with the task at hand.  Ennis responds with a "We need to stick this out, Jack". I love the way they balance and complement each other here.  It's also interesting in how it's opposite of what Ennis really does in life.   

Offline bookgirl

• Feet Wet
    • My Live Journal
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 01:24:36 PM »
One of the scenes that I was really moved by was when Ennis, while washing dishes in the stream, looks up and sees Jack moving among the sheep (I didn't get this until my second viewing) and at night, Jack looks down at the fire where he knows Ennis is sleeping.  They're searching for each other, making a connection, but from a safe distance where they can't be noticed or rejected by the other. 

How many of us have done the same thing?  Driven out of our way, lingered a little longer than usual, whatever it took to just get a glimpse of the person that means something to us, even if we don't yet know what that meaning is.

Offline Jack Nasty

• Obsessed
  • aka: Tim
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 02:43:18 PM »
As reported here:

Here's the French site that includes a clip of the reunion scene...

http://www.pathedistribution.com/accueil/videos.php?start=0&IDFilm=610

There are some clips  in French or with subtitles (first one dubbed the second one with subtitles). In the trailer there are some flashes that are unfamiliar to me. An embrace in the tent (Ennis putting his arm around Jack), one of 'em on a bridge (Jack?), Ennis and Jack in a truck (Jack driving). Anyone else? Maybe I need to go see it again ASAP. Can't imagine I've missed these scenes. Would Europe get a different cut?

I hope deleted scened make it on the DVD!

Not to be a pest but anyone else see these out of place scenes in the French trailer? (clip one or two on the link above). Tell me I'm crazy or that I'm right. Pleeeeease! Was this brought up before somewhere? If so, please point me there.
FUR IS DEAD! for more inFURmation: http://www.infurmation.com/

Offline bookgirl

• Feet Wet
    • My Live Journal
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2006, 02:48:30 PM »

I have a question for the ladies who have men.  Seems to me Ennis is how he is partly (we know the other reasons) just because he's a man.  Assuming that Ennis wouldn't punch you, what you do under these circumstances?  He's hurting; you want to help; he's hurting so bad he can't talk.  You do what? 

-- another Steve (that's what the S is for)

I agree with what lynn has stated (para-phrasing since I don't know how to quote two separate posts):  be available, humor him if that's what works and be ready to listen but not "mother".   It's solely dependant on the person(s) and the situation(s).

Part of what makes any relationship successful is learning the dance of "give and take", whether it be something as easy as where to eat dinner of as difficult as sharing intimacy (emotionally, physically) with another person.   It takes time, hard work and an open mind to develop that level of trust where you can just let go of your fears enough to ask for help.  Sadly, there are some people who will never be able to get there, no matter how hard you/they try.  When that happens, as with Ennis, I think a decision has to be made.  Do you spend your life trying to reach them, often at the expense of your own happiness ( as with Jack), or do you let them go knowing that they're hurting but it is beyond you to make it better?