The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Poll

What scene on BBM did you like best (other than the tent scenes)

Jack naked in the river washing clothes
16 (2.4%)
Ennis naked by the tent washing himself
38 (5.8%)
Ennis alone in the field on their last day on BBM
86 (13%)
Water-walking Jesus scene
44 (6.7%)
Jack smiles when Ennis talks so much and then dances around
205 (31.1%)
Jack tries to wash the blood off Ennis' face
115 (17.4%)
Ennis looks up from washing dishes and sees Jack far above
86 (13%)
Untangling the sheep and then Ennis telling Jack he might run them off again
41 (6.2%)
Other--post below to tell us
29 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 383

Author Topic: Scenes on Brokeback Mountain  (Read 336770 times)

Offline HunterPDX

• Feet Wet
Re: Scene: Scenes on Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2006, 04:14:48 PM »
909dot: I love that line by the fire. I thought about it today. "I'm just sending up a prayer of thanks."

I also love the scene with Ennis sitting by himself and then Jack lassos him. The imagery and symbolism there are great. I touched on before how we see the two of them relate to one another as they would their horses (or language that suggests such characteristics). This is just another example of Jack being gentle with his horse with a low startle point (and still startling him a bit anyway--watch out jack because that particular horse is about to throw you).

Yeah I love the roping scene too.  When Ennis slugs Jack I think it's his own internalized homophobia lashing out--Jack's crossing the "open tenderness" line and it's too much for Ennis to tolerate.  Well, that and Jack just elbowed him and he's kind of ornery about that.   8)

Offline tarheel_david

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2006, 02:14:35 PM »
I really love the "Pentecost" scene where Jack explains that, on the day of reckoning, "sinners" like he and Ennis will be marched off to hell. After Ennis counters that he hasn't yet had the opportunity to become a sinner, Jack's immediate response is to pass him the whiskey bottle. I laugh every time because Jack is obviously thinking, "Well, let's see what we can do about that!"

Jack F*ckin' Twist, you rock!

THDavid
"How can you just leave me standing, alone in a world that's so cold? Maybe I'm just too demanding. Maybe I'm just like my father, too bold. Maybe you're just like my mother. She's never satisfied. Why do we scream at each other? This is what it sounds like when doves cry."

Offline Alex

• Expert
  • Love is a force of nature.
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2006, 04:52:19 PM »
Here is a clip of the scene when Jack and Ennis had to leave Brokeback Mountain prematurely. 

http://www.youtube.com/w/Brokeback-Mountain---Leaving-Early?v=oHrbZGVN4JQ&search=Brokeback%20Mountain
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Offline chaya

• Experienced
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2006, 05:05:37 PM »
There were a number of scenes that bowled me over while watching the film.  Of course the shirt scene hit me the hardest.

However, as time passes, I can't get the scene of Ennis sitting on the hill alone after Jack tells him they are leaving the mountain out of my thoughts.

I think Ennis is crushed.  He had found happiness for the first time in his life and felt it was being torn away from him.  He probably had no idea at the time that he would ever see Jack again after that day.  He was a seriously scarred young man who felt the one good thing he had found in his life was being ripped from him.

Just my take, of course.
Steve

I love that scene, too! Ennis is sitting way out on the hill, like a little kid who's been having the time of his life and has just been told it's time to go home. And the way Jack looks at him, goes to his horse to get his lariat (spelling?), walks over to Ennis and says "Come on cowboy, we gotta go" is just so sweet. Jack knows exactly what Ennis is thinking, even if Ennis himself may not understand his own feelings. As always, Jack is drawing Ennis out, prodding him along, always being open and giving... *sigh*
"Three puppies belonging to one of the blue heelers went in a pack basket, the runt inside Jack's coat, for he loved a little dog." Annie Proulx, BBM

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline savadi

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2006, 06:05:04 PM »
Hi, I've been trying to find anyone who taped the Logo Brokeback documentary. I downloaded it from Malcontent but can't seem to view it on my computer, the image is postage stamp sized in Windows Media Player. Anyone?

Offline Alex

• Expert
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2006, 06:12:00 PM »
Hi, I've been trying to find anyone who taped the Logo Brokeback documentary. I downloaded it from Malcontent but can't seem to view it on my computer, the image is postage stamp sized in Windows Media Player. Anyone?

Here you go.  You can download the full LOGO documentary and other Jake Gyllenhaal clips.  Enjoy!

http://iheartjake.com/media.htm

There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

kumari

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2006, 08:09:00 PM »

Here you go.  You can download the full LOGO documentary and other Jake Gyllenhaal clips.  Enjoy!

Alex, you are the supreme patron saint of delivering Jake to all who need him.
*Sigh*...my hero!

Offline muse

• Feet Wet
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2006, 08:27:47 PM »

you are my hero.
"...in a slow-motion, but headlong, irreversible fall."

dudnkink

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2006, 10:26:23 PM »
HELP :o  I am really wanting to find a particular picture.  I saw it once, and now can't find it at all.  A young Jack and Ennis sitting on BBM at the campfire, and both smiling/laughing.  It may or may not be a scene/still from the movie......  If you know where this is, please let me know.  Also, my therapist this evening has strongly advised me NOT to see this movie again; at least until I am no longer so emotional.  I am also not to open/view/hang up/stare at/ all the things being delivered, BBM movie poster, Soundtrack CD, and screenplay.  She also included this message board.  OMG- I'm outta here!

Offline Alex

• Expert
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2006, 11:51:37 PM »
HELP :o  I am really wanting to find a particular picture.  I saw it once, and now can't find it at all.  A young Jack and Ennis sitting on BBM at the campfire, and both smiling/laughing.  It may or may not be a scene/still from the movie......  If you know where this is, please let me know.  Also, my therapist this evening has strongly advised me NOT to see this movie again; at least until I am no longer so emotional.  I am also not to open/view/hang up/stare at/ all the things being delivered, BBM movie poster, Soundtrack CD, and screenplay.  She also included this message board.  OMG- I'm outta here!

http://outnow.ch/Media/Img/2005/BrokebackMountain/

This site has most of the movie stills. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 12:22:26 AM by Alex »

Offline kappadappa

• Obsessed
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2006, 12:14:11 AM »
My favorite moments change with each viewing.  Most recently, on my fourth viewing, I loved when Jack said "unless you want to stand around tying knots all day."  Ennis looks at him with such a perfect mixture of irony and respect, the first sparks flickering in his eyes.  I just loved it.

And the mixed up sheep dialogue.  First Jack is the positive voice, then Ennis.  Ying and Yang.
gay:  a guy primarily attracted to men, sexually (i.e., much more toward men than women) [Dave Cullen]

dudnkink

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2006, 12:15:12 AM »
Thanks.........Well, I saw those, but unless I'm crazy, isn't there one where the two of them are smiling broadly like they don't have a care in the world?  I swear I had it at one time.   Maybe it's my way of trying to find the only one of them together looking like they have a chance to be happy.  God, no wonder I'm in therapy.  Geez.  :(

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2006, 02:11:57 AM »
Thanks.........Well, I saw those, but unless I'm crazy, isn't there one where the two of them are smiling broadly like they don't have a care in the world?  I swear I had it at one time.   Maybe it's my way of trying to find the only one of them together looking like they have a chance to be happy.  God, no wonder I'm in therapy.  Geez.  :(

There is one on the inside of the CD case for the sound track  - under the CD. 
Unfortunately my favorite site for BBM images is temporarily down for maintenance: http://www.heathbaby.com/main.php

I'm pretty sure they had that picture there though
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline aceygirl

• Expert
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2006, 09:26:37 AM »
In general, I love the tableaus of the pair riding side by side through the mountains. They are so in harmony and look like the perfect couple. In particular there's that one scene after their sheep got mixed up with the Chilean sheep, and Jack plays the harmonica and Ennis says, "You'll drive them sheep off again," then cracks a big grin. Moments like those highlight their relationship.

Offline ellye

• Obsessed
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2006, 11:24:45 AM »

Hi! New here. First post.
I think I know what picture you're talking about. Night time, sat by the fire, drinking, and, in the picture, smiling at each other. Gorgeous!

I saved it when I saw it cos I couldn't believe Ennis ever looked that happy and relaxed in the film so it must have been taken between shots! lol!  ;D
I haven't been able to see the film yet here in England, so I could be wrong!

Anyway, it's on this page. Click on it and it enlarges.

www.calendarlive.com/movies/turan/cl-et-brokeback9dec09,0,186375.story

Hope it works.  :)