The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Poll

What scene on BBM did you like best (other than the tent scenes)

Jack naked in the river washing clothes
16 (2.4%)
Ennis naked by the tent washing himself
39 (5.8%)
Ennis alone in the field on their last day on BBM
88 (13.2%)
Water-walking Jesus scene
44 (6.6%)
Jack smiles when Ennis talks so much and then dances around
210 (31.4%)
Jack tries to wash the blood off Ennis' face
116 (17.3%)
Ennis looks up from washing dishes and sees Jack far above
86 (12.9%)
Untangling the sheep and then Ennis telling Jack he might run them off again
41 (6.1%)
Other--post below to tell us
29 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 389

Author Topic: Scenes on Brokeback Mountain  (Read 541962 times)

Offline justmeincal

• Feet Wet
Re: Scene: Scenes on Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2006, 01:56:27 PM »
Thanks.........Well, I saw those, but unless I'm crazy, isn't there one where the two of them are smiling broadly like they don't have a care in the world?  I swear I had it at one time.   Maybe it's my way of trying to find the only one of them together looking like they have a chance to be happy.  God, no wonder I'm in therapy.  Geez.  :(

Hi! New here. First post.
I think I know what picture you're talking about. Night time, sat by the fire, drinking, and, in the picture, smiling at each other. Gorgeous!

I saved it when I saw it cos I couldn't believe Ennis ever looked that happy and relaxed in the film so it must have been taken between shots! lol!  ;D
I haven't been able to see the film yet here in England, so I could be wrong!

Anyway, it's on this page. Click on it and it enlarges.

www.calendarlive.com/movies/turan/cl-et-brokeback9dec09,0,186375.story

Hope it works.  :)

Dudnkink,
If you go to the official BMM website, you can download the screensaver.  It contains the a high quality version of the picture above.
Steve

Offline ellye

• Obsessed
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2006, 02:04:49 PM »
Thanks.........Well, I saw those, but unless I'm crazy, isn't there one where the two of them are smiling broadly like they don't have a care in the world?  I swear I had it at one time.   Maybe it's my way of trying to find the only one of them together looking like they have a chance to be happy.  God, no wonder I'm in therapy.  Geez.  :(

Hi! New here. First post.
I think I know what picture you're talking about. Night time, sat by the fire, drinking, and, in the picture, smiling at each other. Gorgeous!

I saved it when I saw it cos I couldn't believe Ennis ever looked that happy and relaxed in the film so it must have been taken between shots! lol!  ;D
I haven't been able to see the film yet here in England, so I could be wrong!

Anyway, it's on this page. Click on it and it enlarges.

www.calendarlive.com/movies/turan/cl-et-brokeback9dec09,0,186375.story

Hope it works.  :)

Dudnkink,
If you go to the official BMM website, you can download the screensaver.  It contains the a high quality version of the picture above.
Steve

Where exactly is it on the page? I can't find it.

Offline justmeincal

• Feet Wet
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2006, 02:33:53 PM »
You wrote: Where exactly is it on the page? I can't find it.

I wrote:  Click on 'Enter the Site'
 Then click on 'Downloads'
 Then click on 'Screensaver' and choose the version based upon your computer type.
 Hope this helps!
Steve

Offline justmeincal

• Feet Wet
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2006, 02:36:41 PM »
You wrote: Where exactly is it on the page? I can't find it.

I wrote:  Click on 'Enter the Site'
 Then click on 'Downloads'
 Then click on 'Screensaver' and choose the version based upon your computer type.
 Hope this helps!
Steve

Hi again.  I forgot to mention, you have to place your cursor over the picture of Jack and Ennis to select your computer platform.
Steve

Offline Alex

• Expert
  • Love is a force of nature.
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2006, 02:42:18 PM »
This might also help.

Use the HTML version and not the splash version.

http://www.brokebackmountain.com/home.html
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Offline ellye

• Obsessed
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2006, 02:58:08 PM »
Thanks! I finally found it!

It's the picture on the 'film clips' page as well, which is even better cos it's easier to see it then!  :)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 03:01:13 PM by ellye »

dudnkink

« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2006, 08:20:07 PM »

Offline Alex

• Expert
  • Love is a force of nature.
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2006, 11:30:49 AM »
Hi, I've been trying to find anyone who taped the Logo Brokeback documentary. I downloaded it from Malcontent but can't seem to view it on my computer, the image is postage stamp sized in Windows Media Player. Anyone?

http://rapidshare.de/files/11369901/LOGOBrokebackMountainMovieSpecial.wmv.html

If you're having problems with the http://iheartjake.com/media.htm zipped file, you can try downloading from rapidshare.  I uploaded my copy.  Follow the instructions on how to download for free.  Since they want you to view the ads, it would have a "countdown" before it allows you to download.  But, it should work.

Or, OSCDN.

http://oscdn.com/files/267344/LOGOBrokebackMountainMovieSpecial.wmv.htm

« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 04:21:01 PM by Alex »
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2006, 09:19:44 PM »
I just listened to a great interview with Annie, and she said that she wanted BBM to be a "wormhole" (like one finds in Science Fiction) where the characters go into it one way and come out of it different and changed. I think this really defines the BBM scenes. We see Jack and Ennis in this process of change. It is interesting to see the two boys who go up BBM versus the two men who come down (and the process in between). 

Offline chaya

• Experienced
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2006, 09:29:21 PM »
Here is a clip of the scene when Jack and Ennis had to leave Brokeback Mountain prematurely. 

http://www.youtube.com/w/Brokeback-Mountain---Leaving-Early?v=oHrbZGVN4JQ&search=Brokeback%20Mountain

Wow, thanks for posting this site, and for your wonderful photo collage! There's also a cool Italian trailer on the site that shows the kiss on the landing  :-*
"Three puppies belonging to one of the blue heelers went in a pack basket, the runt inside Jack's coat, for he loved a little dog." Annie Proulx, BBM

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline crcj

• Experienced
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2006, 10:28:10 PM »
Hello everyone.  I have to say that I love this site.  Someone pointed me to it a few days ago, and it is amazing.  I have needed additional outlets to deal with my reaction to the movie, and this is perfect.  (If only it had been around when I first read the short story!)

I love so many scenes.  The BBM scenes are actually so beautiful because of the blooming love and the scenery and all.  I do love the lasso scene, because Ennis is clearly heartbroken.  He knows that he will return to the life he had when he went up the mountain, but that was before the new possibilities were apparent.  There is such a natural interplay between them -- Jack trying to make it more comfortable, Ennis wanting to hold him but hitting him out of frustration, etc.

The scene mentioned after their reunion where Jack talks about how "things could be like this always" is not in my top 3 overall.  But there are two things I LOVE about the scene.  One is Jack's whole approach to bringing up the subject of being together more permanently.  It just is so valid how the scene is played.  The sort of subtle approach to it -- nothing too heavy for Ennis.  The other thing I absolutely love is that as Ennis is telling Jack "now I told you it ain't gonna be like that", he actually sits up and moves closer to Jack.  That is so touching for me because he knows he may be disappointing Jack, but he wants him to know it does not diminish his desire to still be close to Jack.  He wants to improve the connection while potentially jeopardizing it.  Not sure how to explain it better.

My top 3 scenes at this point are:
1) The last time they are together and have the big fight.  Ennis drives away and Jack has a flashback to their days on the mountain and Ennis holding him from behind.  The look on both faces is so peaceful and content, and Jack looks so happy to have Ennis holding him and I believe Ennis is singing to him.  One of (if not the) most intimate moments in the whole movie.

2) The kitchen scene between Ennis and Jack's parents.  The interplay between Ennis and Jack's mother had me crying when I ready the original story.  In the movie, it was so beautiful.  The subtle acknowledgement of understanding between the two, and the mother's desire to share her love and grief with someone who understands.  How can you not get misty?

3) I don't think it is the first reunion, but perhaps the next they show.  Ennis brings the horses for the first time.  The Brokeback interlude music is playing and they are riding the horses together and just finding peace in each other's company.  There is no place they would rather be than sharing that experience with each other.

I do think the early scenes are more outstanding from an overall movie sense.  And the subtle build-up of romantic interest is not lost on you if you pay attention.  That also has a very real feel about it.  I just think that the scenes that are easier emotional connections come later in the film when we get to the roller-coaster ride of the relationship.

Offline ellye

• Obsessed
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2006, 08:51:49 AM »
Here is a clip of the scene when Jack and Ennis had to leave Brokeback Mountain prematurely. 

http://www.youtube.com/w/Brokeback-Mountain---Leaving-Early?v=oHrbZGVN4JQ&search=Brokeback%20Mountain

Wow, thanks for posting this site, and for your wonderful photo collage! There's also a cool Italian trailer on the site that shows the kiss on the landing  :-*

Can anyone please help me to download one of these trailers? Is it possible to do it?  I want 'My Humps - Brokeback Mountain Style' which I thought had disappeared when I just went on the site. Panic!  I had to search for it! I don't know how to download it and Rapidshare doesn't work for me. If anyone can help I'd be very grateful, I don't want to lose this song video - even though I never listen to the song, it's the video part I like!
Sorry for asking on here, I didn't know where to put it!

Offline cms

• Expert
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2006, 09:15:18 AM »

The scene mentioned after their reunion where Jack talks about how "things could be like this always" is not in my top 3 overall. 

When I saw the movie again, and that line started, it took a lot of control to not start sobbing (because I know the ending).  And I NEVER sob in movies or even get anywhere close to it, not even the first viewing of this movie.  The first time the movie just washed over me and left me with a certain feeling, but couldn't put my finger on it.  I'm surprised how much detail I missed the first time.

But that line by Jack "could be like this, just like this, always..." and the absolutely perfect way Jake delivered it, just kills me...
Heath was phenomenal, but the second viewing convinced me Jake was equally sublime...

OT:  I heard Annie Proulx's interview where she talks about Big Love and how it happens to these unlikely characters.  It's funny, I never bought into the Big Love thing in movies, always too glammed up/phony (and I'm practical, that stuff really doesn't exist...) - enjoyed movies like Titanic or The English Patient, but never felt it (in fact, laughed at some scenes in TEP). 

Isn't it funny, then, as a straight female, the movie that does touch me is about 2 gay men...

Offline bookgirl

• Feet Wet
    • My Live Journal
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2006, 03:17:14 PM »

Isn't it funny, then, as a straight female, the movie that does touch me is about 2 gay men...

Speaking as another straight female who has been deeply changed by this movie as well, IMO we (the movie goer) are getting to see a glimpse of love that is so pure and real that it's impossible to watch and not be moved.  These men lay themselves open for each other (and us) and I don't think I've ever seen that shown in any other movie, especially in a traditional man/woman relationship.  For me, part of that is because it's too easy to "project" myself in a man/woman scene since I am a female.  However, when I watch this movie, I have no frame of reference other than the desire to know what it would feel like to love and be loved this strongly and completely (although I could do without all of the other heartache that follows !!!).  This allowed me to spend my time in the theater really seeing, hearing and feeling what was happening on the screen. 

Of course, the usual disclaimer about the whole "Jake and Heath are so incredibly hot" does apply ;)

helen_uk

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2006, 03:30:15 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it doesn't seem to 'fit' anywhere else.  Apologies if it's totally way out of place.

In the scenes with Aguirre, both when he comes up to the mountain to tell Jack his uncle's ill and when Jack and Ennis come back down, he doesn't seem too fussed about what he has witnessed between Jack and Ennis.  Even when Jack goes to see the year after all he says is that he doesn't pay them to shag each other all summer.  He doesn't go into a rage or anything, he doesn't say anything whilst he's up there.  He just doesn't seem to care particularly, only in the context of them supposed to be looking after the sheep.

Has anyone else felt this?

:)