The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet Sept 18 to Sept 24, 2006  (Read 15403 times)

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
The Daily Sheet Sept 18 to Sept 24, 2006
« on: September 18, 2006, 06:41:09 AM »
The Daily Sheet
September 18, 2006

Annie Proulx Talks About Brokeback Mountain and Her New Work

Last week Annie Proulx spoke at Davidson College in North Carolina.  Forum members shakestheground and adrian.delmar (owner of the carved horse and knife) were present.  shakestheground took these photos:

Annie Proulx admires the carved horse from the film.

A gracious Ms. Proulx signing her book for a fan.

Here are some excerpts from an interesting article written by Jeri Krentz for the Charlotte Observer:

“Annie Proulx's story about two cowboys who discover their love for each other was the hardest of her stories to write, the author told a gathering at Davidson College on Thursday night.
It was harder than her novels; harder than all of her other short stories put together, she said.
‘To move from an elderly female into this mind-set was not easy,’ she said. ‘For six months, I worked on it solidly.’
How did you get into the mind of a 19-year-old gay cowboy, one person asked.
‘We have some secrets,’ Proulx answered. ‘If you're going to write fiction, you have to learn how to do that.’”

Follow this link to read more of Annie’s quotes, thoughts about the BBM film, and about her new work.

Post of the Day:  An Unusual Love Story

Appropos to our thoughts of the origin of BBM, Nikki posted in the Annie Proulx thread:

“In an interview in the Bookslutin 2005, Annie had this to say about BBM: ‘Actually that story was to be one of three or four stories about offbeat and difficult love situations, but I never wrote any of the others.  I just wrote that one....I had to get away from it.  It just got too intense and too much on my mind...And also because I conceived of that particular story as one  of a set of stories.  As it is right now, it stands out rather like a sore thumb in comparison to the rest of the work, so I think I have to do those other stories.’

How great will that be if Annie does do those other stories? And what kind of "offbeat and difficult love situations" does she have in mind I wonder?

Join the discussion here.

New York Get-Together

by Cellar Dweller

I just got back from the NYC Meeting.  We met at one of the fountains in Central Park, and then went out for dinner, and then to a bar for drinks. 

It was a great night!  Meeting in the park was actually very funny.  The group started out small, but as new people approached, you could see them looking at us, and as they realized we were actually the "Brokeback" people smiles would just burst out.  Conversations started very quickly, and everyone was very busy getting to know each other.

I found myself observing at different times, watching how everyone related to each other.  It was very interesting.

I was glad to get the opportunity to touch base with members I had met previously (Seeker, Desperadum, Carissa, TwistedBoy, Brokeback_1, Wayman Wong) and to meet the other members (RodneyFL, jeff hanna. Bobbie, Stilllearning, Teresa, DaveinPhilly, babysany, bklynj, Katrina, danac, DKG, doggedstrength, TwistandShout, Zadoc, Jenny, Dal, Ottoblom) for the first time.

Every gathering I've been to, whether small (some of the NYC viewings), medium (tonight's meeting), or large (Texas BBQ), everyone has been fantastic to meet.  Smiles and pleasant attitudes, and a willingness to get to connect to new people.

Looking forward to many more get togethers in the future!

Back Row:  Jeff Hanna, Desperadum, CellarDweller115, Carissa, Seeker

Front Row:  RodneyFL, OttoBlom, Zadoc, TwistedBoy, DaveInPhilly, Bobbie, Jenny, TwistAndShout, DanaC, Dal, Bklyn, Still Learning

CellarDweller115, Seeker, Desperadum, and TwistedBoy

Jenny, Katrina, Brokeback_1, Desperadum 

Click here to see more NY pics: The Forum Meetings/Reunion Pics Thread.

Rants and Rantidotes

gnash responded to the last rant about too many discount cards with a possible rantidote:  "...carrying those cards is a hassle and I tend to use my tel. number instead.  But--

One rant I have and -- i don't think there's a rantidote for it -- is this:

You call 411 for telephone information and they give you the wrong number. Or they cut you off before you tell them that you want the number for a store on a particular street. Or they just don't hear you at all and you get a number for Joe's Laundry instead of Mary's Pet Store. all this for a per-call fee!

...and the service at 1-800-FREE-411 is frustrating (but at least it's free) as well!

It's a computer with voice recognition, and while it seems pretty accurate, at times it's horribly incompetent.. yes, incompetent computers. I asked for "taco king" today and it said in that cheerful computer voice, "okay, that's: kokorako -- here's your number."

And if the computer can't understand what you're saying, you get a real live grumpy operator, and you're back to square one with joe's laundry all over again...

Like i said, i don't think there's a cure or rantidote for this, except to stock up on telephone books for every area of my huge metropolitan city. I don't have phone books for Orange Country, Pasadena, Riverside, the valleys, and other places I frequent... and how do you get those telephone books? The only ones they provide are the ones that supply numbers for my local area. I imagine I'd have to pay for any telephone books outside my local area, and pay for shipping as well.

I don't know what my point it.. but thank you, I feel better already."

Anybody out there have a rantidote for gnash?

Send your rantidotes (or your RANT) to ellen@davecullen.com

Lifestyles in the Forum: French Children Don’t Get Nut Allergies

chapeaugris, who lives in France, asked this question in WDJ Checking In:  “Do middle aged American men eat peanut butter?... would a 56 yr old man make himself a peanut butter sandwich for lunch?”

A number of Americans were quick to provide testimonials.  It appears peanut butter is the breakfast of moderators (or lunch or dinner or snack):

Melisande:  …middle-aged American women eat peanut butter. I have peanut butter toast for breakfast almost every day.

michaelflanagansf:  I love peanut butter.  Guys like Jack and Ennis, particularly if they were living together, would almost certainly have some around and eat it often.  I go through periods where I eat it 2 - 3 times a week…Good on pancakes too.

CellarDweller115 - …I don't put it on pancakes, but I do put it on waffles.  It's great, because the little "holes" catch the melted peanut butter.  Yummy

Lance:  Graham cracker, layer of peanut butter, layer of banana slices, another Graham cracker. Yummmmmmmmmmm

And this health-conscious comment from Jack:

Jack:  63, still eat peanut butter, especially after I went on a low carb eating plan. (Editor’s note – no bread or pancakes or graham crackers on the low carb plan)

chapeaugris:  …You can buy PB in France, but only in the exotic food shelves of big supermarkets or in health food stores. When my kids were younger I bought some and they liked it on bread. But when I suggested they try combining it with jam and make a sandwich of it, they looked at me like I was crazy and said that sounded disgusting!

I said peanut butter is found in the exotic food section of supermarkets in France and that is because it's used in some African dishes. It comes in a can, and here is what it looks like :

chapeaugris:  You never hear any talk of nut allergies here...

Light Bulb Funny

gnash posted in Bring Your Humor Here:

Q:  How many sheepherders does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A:  Two. One to hold the bulb, another to give it a TWIST.

Q:  What do you call a sheep with no legs?

A:  A Cloud.

Depends On Your Point of View

by Lyle (Mooska)

"I can see clearly now, the rain is gone...
...I can see all obstacles in my way..."

"Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind...
...it's gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day"

Calendar

Forum Events

29 Sep - 1 Oct - Chicago - Midwest Slash Bash
30 Sep - London - Forum Get Together for all Europeans

Other Events

5-8 Oct - Las Vegas, NV - Big Horn Rodeo
19-21 Oct - Casper, WY - Equality State Book Festival
7 Nov - Pinecreek, WY - Toast to Jack and Ennis

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum

Editors:  Ellen (tellyouwhat) and Jan (CactusGal)

Columnists:  PeteinPortland, , cynical21, Jim Bond, michaelflanagansf

Proofreader/Researcher:  Gonzo (twistedboy),  gnash,  Sparky

Today’s edition produced by EllenRaff (tellyouwhat) ellen@davecullen.com

Contributors:  Mary, shakestheground, CellarDweller115, Nikki, chapeaugris, Melisande, Jack, michaelflanagansf, Lance, gnash, Lyle

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, press the "Notify" button at the top of the page.
When a new TDS is posted, it will be forwarded to your email address.

Previous issues of The Daily Sheet here.

Response thread for The Daily Sheet here.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 01:20:15 AM by BrokenOkie »
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
Re: The Daily Sheet Sept 18 to Sept 24
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 07:21:43 AM »
The Daily Sheet
Sept 19, 2006

Today's edition produced by CactusGal

Dave Cullen on TV (Update below)

Tonight, Dave Cullen is scheduled to be on the CBC nightly Evening News. He was invited to appear to discuss the Montreal College shooting and "specifically how the press tends to lunge too quickly to answers on these things and how the press got it all wrong on Columbine."

Update from Dave: It looks like they have cancelled. They were supposed to send a cameraman out this morning, but never called back. TV tends to be like that: they overbook and change on short notice as breaking news happens. Generally, I hold back announcing these things until they're pretty firm, for that very reason, but this one looked pretty solid. Sorry about that. (Odd that they didn't call back, too, especially for a Canadian--you guys are normally so well mannered. hehehe. I'll let you know if they reschedule.)

For background on this shooting, go to The Montreal Shooting in the Calgary News

Gustavo Santaolalla Speaks

At least one of our Forum members, Wiley, is going to attend an event on October 7th which features Gustavo Santaolalla talking with Jon Lee Anderson, staff writer for The New Yorker. It is being billed as a Conversation With Music.

For more information on this, please go to the NewYorker http://festival.newyorker.com/schedule_1007_night.cfm

FanFiction Review

By Cynical21

This week we return to the genre of the alternative universe in our featured fic. Forum member testadura, in her story, 48 Days, has opened the plot of her story in the aftermath of the famous "I wish I knew how to quit you" scene, diverting from that point into a new time line, by exploring a crisis involving Jack's son, Bobby. While in Lightning Flat, still devastated by his final confrontation with Ennis, Jack learns that Bobby has run away from home, taking with him a stash of bourbon and a gun. This precipitates a series of events that will transform the lives of all of the members of the Twist family, and Ennis Del Mar as well.

The author delves into the issue of Jack's low self-esteem, triggered early in life by his father's abuse, and relates it to his relationship with his own son, in order to explore how his love and dedication to his child might serve to heal his own wounds and allow him to overcome his doubts about himself. The story follows the two of them as they attempt to find answers to resolve Bobby's problems, and, in the process, get to know each other. At the same time, changes in Jack's domestic situation result in changes in his life with Ennis, demanding a re-evaluation by both of them of where they're going and what they want in life. Thus far, Jack - with great difficulty - has revealed his homosexuality to his son, and the two of them are working through their difficulties. The author hints that more disclosures are forthcoming, leaving the reader to wonder just what the reaction of one Ennis Del Mar will be when confronted by a knowledgeable Bobby Twist.

Testadura is an experienced writer, having honed her skills through contributing to school newspapers and on through college. By profession, she is a molecular biologist, and her scientific training has helped her develop a meticulous attention to detail, which is very obvious in her writing. She also confesses that her user name is the Italian term for a hard head - which she deems appropriate - but acknowledges that it is balanced by a soft heart.

In a short period of time, this imaginative and gripping story has become enormously popular, generating intense interest among Brokeback devotees. To access it, go here :

Forum Author Index

Tedtadura's Live Journal

Newly Found Photo of Ennis

Recently, RodneyFL acquired the above publicity photo of Ennis at the cemetery gate. This is a different angle than the well-known photo of Ennis at the cemetery which was deleted from the film - shown below. Thanks, RodneyFL for sharing this rare find with us!

PhotoCaps of the Day

#1 by Jannis

It's nobody's swishness but ours

#2 by gnash

gnash created this in Photoshop. Folks, look real close.

Calendar

Forum Events

16 Sep - New York City - Forum Get Together

Other Events

8-10 Sep - Washington, DC - Atlantic Stampede Rodeo
14-17 Sep - San Francisco, CA - 15th Annual Gay Rodeo

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum

Editors: Ellen (tellyouwhat) and Jan (CactusGal)

Columnists: PeteinPortland, , cynical21, Jim Bond, michaelflanagansf

Proofreader/Researcher: Gonzo (twistedboy), gnash, Sparky

Today's edition produced by Jan Geyer (CactusGal) jan@davecullen.com

Contributors: RodneyFL, Dave Cullen, PeteinPortland, Wiley, Kirb, gnash,

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, press the "Notify" button at the top of the page.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 02:00:57 AM by BrokenOkie »
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 06:30:12 AM »
The Daily Sheet
September 20, 2006

Welcome to New Staff at the Daily Sheet

by Peteinportland

I am pleased to announce that today's edition of The Daily Sheet was produced by our new Assistant Editor, elle_ann Elle has been a valuable volunteer for our forum, and has already put in many dedicated hours on the book project.  She is creative and energetic, and we look forward to working with her on future Wednesday editions, (and more whenever she is ready.)

We also are happy to announce that Kmich will also be joining The Daily Sheet as an Assistant Editor. Kathy has served as the Editorial Advisor on the book project, and she has proved indispensable to book's leadership team with her years of publishing and editing experience. TDS team is excited she has agreed to put her expereince to use in helping to produce TDS.

We also want to welcome our two new proofreaders and formatters, gnash and Sparky.  Many of you already know Gnash for his amazing graphics, poems, fanart and photo manipulation.  He is also famous for his recipes, some of which he prepared at Auntie's BBQ.  His piece de resistance (to date) was the production of the cans of Bettermost Beans he fashioned for us as party favors at the BBQ. 

Besides helping with the proofreading and editing, Sparky will also be writing a new column for TDS entitled "The Misadventures of Sparky." Sparky has been a member of the forum since the inception, and we are sure that TDS readers will love the humor and fun that are part of his writing.

Gnash and Sparky joined our staff just in time to give twistedboy a much needed break.  Gonzo (twistedboy) has been formatting TDS for nearly two months, seven days a week, and he has been doing a stellar job. 

Also, have no fear as Ellen and Jan will continue in their roles as Editors and will be responsible for overseeing all editions of The Daily Sheet. The addition of new volunteer staff will help them create the best and most informative daily read for our forum members. Producing TDS is a huge task each day, and Jan and Ellen have been exceptionally dedicated in the months that TDS has been a feature on our forum. We are all lucky to have them.

Watch for more exciting announcements of staff additions at TDS.  We are pleased to have such talented staff joining us to produce The Daily Sheet, and we will always strive to provide the most interesting, enlightening and entertaining news available about our forum community and the continuing saga of Brokeback Mountain.

Watch for Another Profile in our Meet the Creators Series

On Friday this week we are pleased to bring you the profile of Academy Award winner (Best Screenplay) Diana Ossana, who partnered with Larry McMurtry to adapt Annie Proulx story into the movie we love today.  Keep an eye on the Daily Sheet, and don't miss our special edition Friday.

New Larry McMurtry Thread

We have a new thread in our Books section for discussing the work of Larry McMurtry.  Moderator michaelflanagansf noticed a healthy interest in discussing McMurtry's works (besides The Last Picture Show, which the book club is currently finishing up).  Click here to join the discussion about Larry McMurtry.

Post of the Day

Yesterday, Sept 19th, was International Talk Like A Pirate Day and once again, the Slash thread were inspired to reach new heights!

Cynical21: Avast there, me hearties (Betcha didn't know it was "Talk like a Pirate Day" didja?)
lizardog:  Arrrh, avast, me proud beauty, a mate sent me the link to the website last night.  Keelhaul me for a Jonah if it didn't tickle me weasely black guts.  Did you know: mateloge:  the practice of two men marrying aboard ship for the duration of a cruise, or for life, in some cases ...

For more information go to Talk Like a Pirate.

Brokeback Mountain Triggers War at Prestigious Private School in Austin, Texas

Excerpts from an article written by Barbara Minze for Mexia Daily News

“In 1999, an new English teacher joins the staff on the campus of this expensive private school. As she moves up to senior instruction in the next couple of years, she approaches her superiors with the recommendation of a new book. She wants to add Brokeback Mountain to the reading assignment for seniors, and explains that it will be taught during the third trimester, as the students are then doing college work and preparing for the outside world - for college life in most cases.

Within the next couple of years, adding this one book to the curriculum would cost the school a few million dollars in pledges from conservative parents, who were very critical about the addition of the book to the reading assignment for their seniors.”

The author of the article explains how the principal handled the anger and threats made by many of the parents.
To read the entire article, go here.

If you are a subscriber of Texas Monthly, you can read John Spong’s very good related article ‘The Good Book and the Bad Book’ online here.

If you aren’t a subscriber to Texas Monthly, you can find a partial synopsis (with commentary) of the Spong article at this blog.

Sister Anne?

Anne Hathaway dreamed of becoming a Catholic nun when she was a child, but says now that she couldn't devote her life to a religion that doesn't permit homosexual acts. Although she had her heart set on joining a convent until age 15, when she discovered her brother was gay, Hathaway decided to give up on her dream.

The 23-year-old says, "I felt like I got a calling from God.  "But when I realised my older brother was gay, I couldn't support a religion that didn't support my brother."

Despite shunning religion, kind-hearted Hathaway helps her philanthropist boyfriend Raffaello Follieri in Cambodian health centres. She adds, "I'm in love with the founder (of the Follieri Foundation), so I'd be going anyway."

Source:  http://www.contactmusic.com

"The Joker" hates Comic Book Movies

Heath Ledger in Candy

In an exclusive interview with Dark Horizons, Heath Ledger talks about his roles in Candy and the next Batman film.  He acknowledges that his decision to play The Joker in the The Dark Knight has caused much interest in the industry. He says that ordinarily doing something like that would not be of interest to him. "I actually hate comic book movies, like fucking hate them, they just bore me shitless and they're just dumb. But I thought what Chris Nolan did with Batman was actually really good, really well directed, and Christian Bale was really great in it."

Ledger says he's looking forward to playing a truly evil character. "He's going to be really sinister and it's going to be less about his laugh and his pranks and more about just him being a just a sinister guy." Asked if he decides to do a big movie like this, because of agent pressure, Ledger pauses then laughs. "I'm sure they're super happy that I'm doing this, because this is the first time I've really kind of taken something like that, so they're over the moon. But I think it's just going to be a really fun experience, and I love to dress up and wear a mask." No costumes have been designed, but the actor says that "I've seen a few interesting designs on the look and I think that it's going to look pretty cool."

The article was written by Paul Fisher and posted to Dark Horizons on Sept 11 2006: to read it in full, go here:

New Jake Poll

Wanna play matchmaker? Hop on over to Jake’s Eyelashes! Say the moderators: “There has always been speculation about who Gylly has been with and who he hasn't.  If you had the choice to choose his perfect partner, who would it be?”  There’s an interesting variety of people to choose from!

Forum Tutorial: How to Quote like an Expert and Not like a Beginner!

by LoveEmBoys

Quick Question:  How many times have you seen a post that looks like this??

Quoting another post inside one of your own can be a powerful mechanism to keep a conversation alive amidst other conversations on the forum.  Quoting is easy!  But it can be confusing if you aren’t familiar with the codes necessary to make it work to your best advantage .

Quoting starts with finding the post that you’d like to quote, and clicking the “Quote” button in the top right of that entry.  Doing so opens the Post Reply window, and copies in the text of the message you requested to quote.

The critical elements, here, are the commands that look like [quote…]  and [/quote ]. Similar to HTML tags, these commands all have a begin command ([quote... ]) and an end command that starts with a forward slash ([/quote ]).  These commands MUST occur in pairs, or the system will not know how to interpret them.

In the case of the quote commands, the begin and end commands must surround all of the text that you want to be quoted -- that which you want to appear in the yellow box.

If you change something in the begin command, or delete it altogether, the system likely will recognzise the end quote that is missing a begin quote -- so it very helpfully inserts a new begining quote command directly preceeding the end command ([quote ][/quote ])   

In this case I edited the begin command and changed the "author" tag to "auor".  Because the system no longer recognized that as a begin quote command -- it just ignores it. 

Notice, by the way, that text of the incomplete begin quote command now displays in the posted message.  That is a dead give away that there is something wrong in the begin command and the computer can't interpret it.

If you find yourself in this situation, you need to restore the original begin quote command and delete the one that was inserted by the system.  If you no longer have the original begin quote command, that includes the users name, and message id and timestamp of their post -- your best bet may be to copy any text you have added to the message, quit out of that message and start again with a new quote.

Regardless, you can usually find these quote errors very simply by just Previewing your post before posting it.  Preview is your friend --- for oh so many reasons.    ;)

To read further on this and several other common quoting frustrations, check out the FAQ Thread  and / or this document: Quoting_Examples.pdf

** Many thanks to Sheera and Bigheart who agreed to let me use their posts as examples for this topic

Possible Get-together in Arizona

Arizona folk, say hello! If you live in Arizona and are interested in a get-together this coming Saturday 23rd September, go to this thread and let them know that you'll be there!

Photo Caption of the Day

Posted by Jannis

Alien 1: "This is a one shot thing we got goin on here."
Alien 2: "It's nobody's business but ours."
Alien 1: "You know I ain't no humanphile."
Alien 2: "Me neither."
Both to Ennis: "It's alright, it's alright..."

Calendar

Forum Events

Other Events

Assistant editors:  elle_ann and kmich

Reporter in the Field:  Karind1

Proofreader/Researcher:  Gonzo (twistedboy), gnash, Sparky

Today’s edition produced by elle_ann and tellyouwhat  ellen@davecullen.com

Contributors:  michaelflanagansf, LoveEmBoys, Bobby19in1963, karind1, TwistandShout, cynical21, lizardog

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 02:03:33 AM by BrokenOkie »

Offline CactusGal

• Resigned.
  • Expert
  • Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 06:06:57 AM »
The Daily Sheet
Sept 21, 2006

Live Chat Today with Slash Author, Kumari

Our own popular slash author, Kumari (also known as Debutante9) has agreed to chat "live" with us for two hours this AM:  Just go to
Live Chat with Kumari and you'll be able to ask (via PM) all those questions about her fics: The Bellwether and The Wolf and the Thunderbird.  Because The Wolf and The Thunderbird is not yet finished, there are some questions she’ll have to decline to answer.   

New BBM Calendar Now Available

The new Brokeback Mountain Calendar for 2007 is now available at Our Site Store. The calendar is 12" x 12" and is only $12.99.  As always, by ordering this way, the Forum receives a 7% commission on every purchase made via Amazon.

An Interview with Darryl Solly – Part II

by Jim Bond

“Just what is this movie about?” people would ask the producers of Brokeback Mountain as they filmed during in the summer of 2004.  In Part II of www.FindingBrokeback.com's interview with Location Manager Darryl Solly he tells us how, as the filming progressed, the filmmakers themselves grew in their ability to deal openly with its subject matter, despite some unwelcoming reactions they encountered.  Read also about their “Oscar heartbreak,” as well as plans for a director’s cut of the film. 

And yes, Solly has plenty of great stories to share about the Riverton Post Office, the Laundry Apartment, and the “It’s gonna snow tonight for sure” Lake.  Among many memorable items is the story of the missing phone booth.  Can you imagine Brokeback without the phone booth?  It almost didn't happen! 

You'll find Part II at Darryl Solly Interview.

There‘s always a wealth of other Brokeback location and travel-related information at www.FindingBrokeback.com and new items are being added all the time.

It's Back – Fall TV

It's that time of year again when old favorites start appearing on your TV set and all the new shows are hyped big-time. We have a variety of TV discussion threads in our TV & Music Topic where you can discuss the new front-runners or just join the gab-fest on new TV season. 

New Fall TV Season – New shows that don't suck?

Reality TV, 2006 Season: Survivor, Apprentice, Top Model, etc.

Survivor Cook Islands

Amazing Race Fall 2006

Kirb's Name In Lights

Our Forum member, Kirb, has been cast in a community theatre production of The Glass Menagerie in Gainesville, Florida.  This is Mark's return to the stage after a three-year absence.  His last role was Boolie in Driving Miss Daisy at the Gainesville Community Playhouse.  For his performance Mark won that theater's Golden Apple Award as Best Supporting Actor for the 2003-04 season.

Mark has been appearing in plays at HSCT since 1997, when he made his stage debut as the jury foreman in Twelve Angry Men.  Some of his other roles here have been Ali Hakim in Oklahoma!, Barry Draper in The Murder Room, a barfly in Calamity Jane, and Ken in Rumors.

Lifelong Lake City resident Mark also appears in plays at his church (First Presbyterian), most recently as Judas Iscariot in the Easter drama Eyes of Faith.  He made his film debut in the PBS-TV playlet Second Chance (2005).  Mark played a flower delivery man and had four lines, "Three more than my all-time favorite, Lucille Ball, had in her  first film, and look what a career she ended up having!  So here's hoping..."

"I am honored and awed to be in this classic play and hope I do it justice.  I dedicate it to four actors whose performances have moved me more than I can say:  Eileen Heckart, Jake Gyllenhaal, Heath Ledger, and Shirley Booth.  If I can affect someone even half as much I will be very happy."

The play opens on Friday, September 29 and runs through Sunday, October 22 (four weekends).  Friday and Saturday nights at 8:00 p.m. and Sunday matinees at 2:00 p.m.  If anyone is interested, Kirb says to PM him and he'll get ticket information to you!

PhotoCap of the Day

by magicmountain

Lureen: What are ya waitin’ for cowboy – a matin’ call?

Jack: No maam. The ringing of a cash register.

Calendar

Forum Events

16 Sep - New York City - Forum Get Together

Other Events

8-10 Sep - Washington, DC - Atlantic Stampede Rodeo
14-17 Sep - San Francisco, CA - 15th Annual Gay Rodeo

Assistant Editors:  KMich and Elle_ann
Columnists: PeteinPortland,  cynical21, Jim Bond, michaelflanagansf, Sparky

Contributors: Melsande, Dave Cullen, Kirb, magicmountain

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 02:05:49 AM by BrokenOkie »

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 06:28:59 AM »
The Daily Sheet
Special Edition
September 22, 2006

BROKEBACK PROFILES -- MEET THE CREATORS

Diana Ossana at the Golden Globe Awards

Today we are honored to feature Academy Award-winning screenwriter Diana Ossana, who co-wrote and co-produced Brokeback.  Since our first contact with her in August, Ms. Ossana has expressed her support of our forum's continued determination to promote the excellence of Brokeback Mountain.

Diana Ossana has collaborated on writing screenplays, teleplays, and novels with Pulitzer Prize-winning author Larry McMurtry since they first worked together in 1992, on the screenplay and historical novel Pretty Boy Floyd.  Her fateful encounter with Annie Proulx’ masterpiece Brokeback Mountain one sleepless night in 1997 is well-known to most of us.  We are forever grateful for her determination convincing Larry McMurtry to read the story-- despite his skepticism of short fiction.

With McMurtry, she co-wrote the screenplay for Brokeback Mountain, for which they won the Academy Award for Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay) as well as the Golden Globe Award for Best Screenplay and Writers Guild of America Award. Brokeback received widespread critical acclaim and it won the Golden Lion (Best Film) award at the Venice Film Festival and the Golden Globe Award for Best Picture - Drama. Ossana and McMurtry also won the Golden Globe Award for Best Screenplay for Brokeback Mountain. Additionally, Diana was a producer for the film.

Diana has lived in Arizona , Texas and South Dakota  since 1977.  She is currently involved in the production of the 2006 TV mini-series Comanche Moon, and the upcoming Pretty Boy Floyd (2007).  She and McMurtry have adapted his novel Boone's Lick into a screenplay for Playtone/Universal.  Tom Hanks will star and Barry Levinson will direct in 2007.

Profile Q and A:

1. Currently listening to?    James McMurtry's new CD, "Childish Things" 

2.  Currently reading?     Nonfiction:  "The Looming Tower" by Lawrence Wright; "Flags of our Fathers" by James Bradley; "Animals in Translation" by Temple Grandin; "Comrade Rockstar: Life and Mystery of Dean Reed" by Reggie Nadelson.  Fiction:  "When The Light Goes," the manuscript of Larry McMurtry's most recent novel.   I'm a compulsive reader.

3.  Biggest challenge?    Sleeping.  I've been cursed with insomnia since I was a child.   

4.  Your perfect day?     Big sky, endless horizon, lots of sunlight...and a pile of books to read.   

5.  What’s your indulgence?    My dogs.

6.  What’s you inspiration?     Sara, my luminous daughter.

7.  Last major Purchase?    A new Toyota FJ Cruiser.

8.  First job?   In high school, I was an usherette at the Fox Theatre on Grand Avenue in St. Louis, Missouri.

9.  What do you know for sure?  I know for sure that that Brokeback Mountain will continue to make its way. 

10.  Favorite Movie (besides Brokeback Mountain?)   It varies day to day, but here are a few constant favorites:  La Strada; The Bicycle Thief; They Drive By Night; Bringing Up Baby; North By Northwest: Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind.

11.  If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?    "Donnie (my son) and Craigie (my nephew) have been waiting for you."

12.  Favorite Brokeback Mountain Scene?   Watching Ennis stagger into that gangway, overcome by emotion after he and Jack have parted after their first summer together.

13.  Any final words for our Ultimate Brokeback Forum members?   First:  as long as you know who you are inside and remain sure and confident in that knowledge--no matter what the rest of the world thinks--you can get through anything.  Second:  Thanks so very much for your unwavering support and devotion to all things Brokeback.

Diana Ossana with Larry McMurtry at
the Brokeback Mountain Premiere

Links to Articles and Interviews

Excerpt from Afterelton interview with Ossana and McMurtry, by Joey Guerra:

Diana Ossana: When I first read (Brokeback Mountain) back in '97, it was instantaneous, pretty much, my sense of how powerful it was, that this is a great story that should be out in the world in a major, major way. It had the power to touch many people.You know how when you read a great piece of literature or see a film that really moves you? You want to tell people about it. You want them to see and feel the same things you felt.

Follow this link to read the entire interview.

Excerpt from The Advocate,  My Time on Brokeback Mountain

Diana Ossana: It is our strong belief that the actors who read our screenplay and ultimately did not take the parts were dissuaded by their various representatives, in the mistaken belief that it would be "career suicide" to take on the roles. As we’ve said before, Heath Ledger actively pursued his role. Even after Heath and Jake committed to their roles, rumors floated around Hollywood, triggered by noncreative types, that they were committing "career suicide," which is eye-rolling ridiculous.

Follow this link to read the article.

Previously in
"MEET THE CREATORS":

Annie Proulx, author of Brokeback Mountain (from Close Range:  Wyoming Stories), The Shipping News and much more.

James Schamus, Brokeback producer and President of Focus Features

Other Notable Profiles:

Dave Cullen, author and founder of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum.

PeteinPortland, Director of Projects, The Ultimate Brokeback Forum.

Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay

This book is indispensable for anyone who wants to understand the
origin of the story Brokeback Mountain, and its path from printed
page to big screen. The book features essays by Annie Proulx and
Larry McMurtry, and Diana Ossana's “Climbing Brokeback Mountain.”

It is available in our Ultimate Brokeback Store.

Close Range Discussion

What do these words and phrases have in common?

Coffeepot; The Box Hammerhandle; The Spur-maker; No Surprise; The Wolf; Texas Boys; There’s Still Whiskey.

It’s hard to know how these dots connect, but if you read “Pair a Spurs” in Close Range you will begin to understand.  “Begin” is the operative word.  To truly understand, you may have to join in the discussion, set to begin Monday, in the Close Range Thread.

The hottest book out now, discussed on our forum -- Frank Rich's:

The Greatest Story Ever Sold:
The Decline and Fall of Truth from 9/11 to Katrina

This new book by New York Times columnist Frank Rich is (at this writing) the number one seller on Amazon.  From Publisher’s Weekly:  “This blistering j'accuse has vitriol to spare for George Bush—calling him a "spoiled brat" and "blowhard"—and his policies, but its main target is the PR machinery that promoted those policies to the American people."

See what Dave Cullen and other forum members are saying in the discussion thread: Frank Rich’s New Book.

And Dave will have a personal message about it in the next entry.

If you want to purchase the book on Amazon, here is the link for 7% credit to our Forum.

Also of interest:  Back in December 2005 Frank Rich wrote an article titled “Two Gay Cowboys Hit a Home Run.”

Book Club Voting Closes TODAY Sept 22

This is one time when your vote can truly make a difference.  We have three front runners nose and nose (and nose) coming into the home stretch. Please take a moment to vote for your choice.  Reminder—discussion for this book will be in November, after we finish The Front Runner by Patricia Nell Warren. 

Anime and Manga

Planetgal471 started a thread where members can discuss Japanese Anime and Manga.  If you are new to this genre, here is her first recommendation:

Gravi is probably a great anime or manga starting place for a BBM fanGravi started as a comic book, was first made into an OVA (a straight-to-DVD movie), and is now also a TV series with a one-season run… The main characters are Shuichi Shindo-- an aspiring rock star, and Eri Yuki-- a famous romance author…In a lot of ways Yuki and Shuichi are not unlike over-the-top charactatures of Jack and Ennis. Yuki is quiet, introspective, non-social. Shuichi is loud, fun, social, and subject to mood swings of violent proportions."

Member's Photo Album

RodneyFL shares this romantic photo of Heath Ledger.

RodneyFL:  In late August I acquired from an eBay dealer what was listed as an 8 x 10 autographed photo of Heath Ledger in a "hot, sexy new pose."  The autograph was obtained at the Independent Spirit Awards, held March 4, 2006, where Brokeback Mountain was nominated for 4 awards and won 2 (Best Director and Best Feature).  I don't believe this photo had been circulated anywhere until it was offered up on eBay.  The source of this photo is not known, but I would like to think it pictures our Heath as the character for whom he was named, Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights.  IMHO the original B & W film from 1939 has been remade far too many times and none of the remakes has ever achieved the greatness of the original.  One can always imagine our Heath in that incredibly complex role, but in the meantime, this photo speaks volumes.

Assistant Editors:  elle_ann and kmich

Today’s edition produced by Ellen Raff (tellyouwhat) ellen@davecullen.com

Contributors:  Diana Ossana, Dave Cullen, Planetgal471, Sid401k, RodneyFL

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 07:46:58 PM by BrokenOkie »

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 11:33:27 AM »
Some personal thank you's from me: to Diana, Annie P, James S, Frank Rich, and our staff.

I don't normally do this. I've only appeared here personally in The Daily Sheet once or twice to address everyone directly, but this one is important. I want to take this moment to thank several people, who I feel a really personal gratitude for, and to make a personal request.

I am so grateful to Diana Ossana, the person of the hour/day/month, for the support and inspiration she has offered to our staff for some time now, and for participating in our "Meet The Creators" series. With all the inquiried and requests she gets, it was touching to see her agree to spend the time doing this for us. I for one, feel really proud that someone so vital to the creation of this great film care enough about what we're doing to come here and share that with us. Thanks, Diana.

I also want to thank our previous contributors, Annie Proulx and James Schamus. And I want to thank jam52 for first approaching Diana, and Tellyouwhat for lots and lots of time corresponding with Diana and working out all the details, and Pete for overseeing all these projects, and the 50+ volunteers now on our staff who keep making all of this happen.

---

Now it's odd that it should come on the same day, but I've been planning for weeks to address you all directly here with thanks and a special request about another person.

Aside from being the best columnist for the New York Times (imo), Frank Rich is also an incredibly nice person, and has helped me immeasurably with my career. I don't know him well--which is sort of the point. I know him mostly from calls and emails, but he has offered advice and encouragement through much of my career, and I owe him an amazing debt that I can never repay to him, but hopefully can pass on to other struggling writers later.

In 1999, he plucked me out of obscurity (even more obscure than now--hehehe), and featured one of my Salon stories in his Times column. Perhaps equally important he began a long correspondence that was instrumental in building my confidence in my work. If you've ever tried to get anything published, you know what a soul-crushing profession this can be to try to break into. I could paper every apartment I've ever lived in with all the rejection letters I've received. I had to go to my parents for a loan at the age of 40 to pay my rent, and my mom gave it to me, but only after a 30-minute plea to give up the writing and go back to a real job.

That's just a taste. I can't tell you how discouraging it is. I'm not here to complain--any writer will tell you the same sob story. I'm just trying to explain how much it matters; how incredibly powerful it is when someone like Frank Rich personally encourages you along the way. When he told me I was good enough to make it, and don't listen to my mom or my friends or anyone else, and do whatever it takes . . . There's a special place in heaven for people like that. Or at least in my heart.

So now he has a book out, and it's already #1 on Amazon, so it's not like he really needs my help, but I made a promise to myself long ago that I would personally appeal to everyone I know to check it out when it came out--which includes all your guys. I'm not asking you to buy it, especially if it's not your cup of tea. I'm asking you to check it out. Maybe you'll love the idea of it and grab a copy, maybe you won't. But it would mean a lot to me if you gave it a look.

Luckily, this is a very easy sell. He happens to have written an amazing book. (I have not finished it, but read a big enough chunk to say that with confidence.) And I really think he put his finger on the pulse of something crucial. Here's the review I posted on Amazon, to give you a sense:

The big-picture version of Colbert & The Daily Show

Frank Rich states in the opening that this is not meant as a harangue of George Bush or the war, but "a critical retracing of the sophisticated steps by which some clever people in the White House, handed an opportunity and a mandate by the shocking events of 9/11, unfurled a brilliantly produced scenario . . ."

Thank you. As much as Bush irks me, I don't need to spend time on a detailed analysis of how or why. He will come and go, but his team's methods of deception will live on, and grow stronger, by presidents of both parties, if we don't get a handle on them.

The policies have been beaten to death, but the methods of the artifice, that's interesting.

That's what The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are ultimately all about, and that's why they are insanely popular, and brilliant at the same time. (And most of the press still doesn't quite get them--or chuckles along with them, but doesn't get that they are the butt of the joke more than the politicians. Either they don't get it or can't figure out how to change.)

Those shows do it on a daily basis, bit by bit, incrementally. But we were still waiting for the more spacious and reflective format of a book to yank the curtain back all at once and put the whole story together for us in one place.

That's priceless. This was the book we were waiting for.

---

And what a gutsy move by his publisher to devote 100 pages to a timeline, showing side-by-side what the white house was saying internally, and the alternate reality they were pitching to us. That's worth the price of the book all by itself. (The book says the timeline will be updated continually at his website.)

{end of my review}

We've got a thread going to discuss the book here:
http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=12952.msg479401#msg479401

I imagine it will take awhile for people to read the book and really get discussing there, but we're already under way with several people posting.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 11:43:46 AM by Dave Cullen »

Offline CactusGal

• Resigned.
  • Expert
  • Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 06:10:09 AM »
The Daily Sheet
Sept 23, 2006

Member Profile: Maturben

Bob was such a joy to meet at the BBQ; I am sure you'll enjoy his story: 

"Bob, aka maturben, was a high school English/ drama teacher and stage director of four musicals. He also worked with a small theatre group for a number of years in Rochester, New York. Upon leaving teaching, Bob explored many other areas of gainful employment. These included, but were not limited to, reference work in the public library, acting as a business manager for an interior design firm and co-owning an antique shop. He also was a bartender, bread baker and prep cook both in the US and on the Island of Saba in the Netherlands Antilles.

Now unemployed, Bob spends as much time as possible in his gardens and has been catching up on his traveling and spending time with friends, old and new. For a number of years and for various reasons, Bob went to ground and has recently burst out of his self-imposed insularity. Bob shares a home with a former lover. Over the years they have created a Felix/Oscar lifestyle. Bob has collected Japanese art (and lots of other stuff) for years, despite his housemate's worries that the house will become a "damned museum". Bob prefers to think of the house as a three story "cabinet of curiosities".

01. Currently listening to?  Arvel Bird's "Animal Totems" disc

02  Currently reading?  "Night of the Jaguar" by Michael Gruber

03. Biggest challenge?  Overcoming feelings of negativity/self-doubt

04.  Your Perfect day?   Working in my garden, enjoying a good meal and laughs with
friends, reading before bed time

05.  What's your indulgence? Favorite indulgence: chocolate

06.  What's your inspiration? nature

07.  Last major purchase? plane ticket to San Antonio

08.  First job? morning paper boy

09.  What do you know for sure? There is so much to learn, see, enjoy and marvel over

10.  Favorite movie Besides BBM? "The Pillowbook"

11.  If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear god say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?  God say: you did no harm

12.  What brought you to the forum? Good fortune

13.  Your favorite threads? Whooo, boy----changes the more I explore

14.  How many times have you watched BBM? Only 7

15.  Your favorite BBM scene? Ennis finding the shirts

Brokeback – A One Shot Thing?
by Kmich

One might expect that the success of Brokeback Mountain would spur publishers to look for the next break-out gay-themed story. But, according to the trade publication Publishers Weekly, that doesn’t seem to be the case. Major mainstream publishers do not view the crossover success of Brokeback Mountain as the next trend in publishing. In fact, they seem to view its success as more of a “one-shot thing.” According to article author Robert Rorke,

“That mainstream publishers have fallen off the saddle post-Brokeback defies logic. Not only did the film achieve both critical (it captured three Oscars) and commercial success ($174 million gross worldwide), it did so without controversy. Even conservative religious groups could not help admiring director Ang Lee's sensitive handling of what could have been, for American audiences, a divisive and incendiary tale (only one theater—in Utah—refused to show the film). Yet the industry professionals from mainstream houses and agencies interviewed for this article believe Brokeback's success has not much to do with its ‘gayness.’ They see the story and the movie as ‘art’ and, as such, don't expect its success to rub off on any prospective gay novelists or short story writers.”

Smaller presses, however, take a different view. Says Rorke,

“If the effect of Brokeback Mountain has not made so much as a ripple at the major publishing houses, the movie has given a boost to academic publishers and smaller, independent publishers of gay fiction. The Ohio University Press saw an uptick in sales for a memoir of a gay man's experiences growing up in the mountains of West Virginia. Numbers on Loving Mountains, Loving Men by Jeff Mann doubled in January 2006, the month Brokeback Mountain won the Golden Globe award for Best Picture.”

For the complete article, go to Publishers Weekly.

Meet the Slash!Gang

It's just a few days to that Slash Bash!  Do you know our Forum slashers?  Why not check out our thread, Meet the Slash!Gang and see what a nice looking (and talented) group they are!

Poem of the Day
Confessions of a Dream

by Sheera

“All that I lov’d
I lov’d alone.”

I couldn’t see them,
who said they loved you.
Wife, kid, mama–
They must a, though.
Who wouldn’t?

But did they kiss you like I did
cold rain beatin’ down on us?
Wet all over us,
soaked to our bones

but happy.

Because misery with you
always was better’n
happiness with anyone else.

When I’m dreamin’ I see
you sayin’ my name
over and over again.

Sometimes like the last time.
that last time you spoke afore
you were gone.

Like it better, though, when it’s
like those other times.
Soft, quiet, prayer-like,
didn’t even sound like a word.

Ennis.

You always seemed to be thinkin’
If’n you said it enough when you thought I was asleep
that it’d save you.

Jack.

Sometimes I think lovin’ you
Was the only kind a savin’ I
knew how to do.  And maybe
I’m the only one who really knew how.
Don’t think no one else
Loved you like me.

Such a goddamned shame that
I never
said it to you,
other’n in my dreams.

If’n you can hear me, Jack–
I ain’t afraid a savin’ no more.
I’ll keep on doin’ it so long
As you see fit to keep comin’.

Love you, friend. Love
you to the bitter fuckin’ end.

PhotoCap of the Day

#1  A BBM Good News Moment:

Did Jack ever mention he had a twin brother, del Mar?  (by magicmountain)

#2 A BBM Bad News Moment:

I got a photo of them right here. . .what? I never said nothin'  'bout them being identical twins!      (by Desecra)

Calendar

Forum Events

Other Events

Assistant Editors:  KMich and Elle_ann
Columnists: PeteinPortland,  cynical21, Jim Bond, michaelflanagansf, Sparky

Contributors: Maturben, Sheera, magicmountain, Desecra

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 02:10:57 AM by BrokenOkie »

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 06:28:32 AM »
The Daily Sheet
September 24, 2006

Member Profile:  City Girl

Today, City Girl takes a break from the Slash threads to give us her point of view.  That would be the way things look from the beautiful city of San Francisco, where she lives and works and reads J & E fanfics.  Given all the time she spends sitting in front of a computer she might as well live in the Arctic Circle, as long as it has a wireless connection.  She has participated in forum get-togethers in her home town, hosted dinner parties for Slash members, and in August she and four other crazed slash addicts drove the 20 odd hours from Southern California to Texas for the BBQ.  She is going to the upcoming Midwest Slash Bash and is currently pondering the advisability of mailing (rather than checking in) such dangerous weapons like contact lens solution and lipstick to the hotel where she will be staying in the Official Jake Gyllenhaal Suite.

When City Girl is not reading slash (which--let's face it-- is almost never), she does on occasion deem it necessary to work.  She wastes valuable slash reading and thread chatting time flittering her time away in the financial services industry.  Your 401K or pension plan tanked?  Too bad, slash will always take priority in her book.  When she simply cannot help it and is torn away from her beloved slash thread she wastes even more time wine tasting in Sonoma, trying new restaurants in San Francisco, and spending time in art museums, the Asian, the Modern, the Legion of Honor, and now the newly opened and stunning de Young. 

She once had what one might consider hobbies and interests but that was before slash.  They included photography, quilting, traveling (to non-slash events), and reading things printed on paper.  She also has a long-suffering cat, Chloe, who is rather put out at the lack of proper attention.  Said cat has taken to attempting to hit the off button on City Girl's laptop.  Said cat also ponders the relative lack of cats in fics given the number of times Jack is given a dog, or Jack is reincarnated as a dog, or Jack has a dog die on him. 

(The above bio was edited and enhanced with adjectives and cat stories by City Girl).

City Girl at Auntie’s BBM Backyard BBQ

Profile Questions:

01. Currently listening to?  Andrea Bocelli - Amore

02.  Currently reading?  Urrr, slash.  But I can proudly say I actually bought a book recently with real pages and everything.  Pasa Doble.  It is by Connie Bailey, one of the premier slash writers we have.  (It still counts as a book you know.) 

03.  Biggest challenge?  Finding time for everything I want to do.  (Slash reading)

04.  Your perfect day?   Waking up from dreams of Jake, Heath, Jack and Ennis in some sort of slashy situation.  A freshly brewed cup of Ennispresso with Jackfoam, checking in on the slash threads saying hi to everyone and seeing what the folks in Europe and the rest of the US have been up to while I was dreaming about the boys.  A day of reading slash with short bathroom breaks, perhaps a walk, and having other slashers coming into the city for dinner, drinks and face time.  Then back on the thread to see what I missed.

05.  What’s your indulgence?  Urrr, I think we covered that.

06.  What’s you inspiration?  Talent where you least expect it.

07.  Last major Purchase?  A laptop (the better to read slash.  I might actually leave my cave and read my slash in public.

08.  First job?  A grocery bagger at the Naval Commissary at the Naval Station in Guam.

09.  What do you know for sure?  That is okay to want love and passion and success and good things to happen to you.  That you might not get them but if you don’t even want them then you have even less of a chance.

10.  Favorite Movie (Besides BBM)?  Not a movie.  A Miniseries.  The A&E version of Pride and Prejudice.

11.  If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?  Your dad is waiting you over there.

12.  What brought you to the Forum?  Desperation?  I had read every comment on the Yahoo movie review.  I tried to talk to anyone who would listen to me about this movie and wasn’t finding much success.  I didn’t even know things like Forums existed so I stumbled in one day in March.  Late.  Missed the whole Oscar thing completely.  What I needed desperately was a way to talk and talk and talk and talk about this story, about Ennis and Jack, about the heartbreak, to hear other people’s opinions, but mostly I needed to find if I was insane that I wasn’t alone in my insanity, and I needed someone who wouldn’t tell me that it was time to let go of this story.  The talking and listening was a heck of a lot better than the bent over at the waist, hanging on to door jams crying I had been doing.

13.  Your favorite threads?  LOL.  Ummm why don’t you take a wild guess.

14.  How many times have you watched BBM?  Pretty much lost count. 

15.  Your favorite BBM scene?  The reunion.

16.  Is there any question I didn't ask that you want to answer anyway? 

Not a question but I did want to say, all kidding aside, this little story about a couple of cowboys named Jack and Ennis has moved me and changed me in ways I could not have begun to have foreseen.  Walking into that movie theater I was going to see an “art” film that had been recommended on NPR and nothing else.  I had not seen the trailers in theaters.  Funny thing is I never did see the trailer other than on yahoo movies but that was much later.  I wish I had.  I think seeing the trailer coming at you out of nowhere would have been its own profound “moment”.  I came out of that theater shell-shocked and pretty much speechless.  I went home and curled up into a little ball to cry my eyes out.  I couldn’t begin to even process it all.  I think I may spend the rest of my life processing it all-- the themes of love, loss, regret, of how lives are ruined due to intolerance both external and internal kinds, and of destruction of the soul that comes with self loathing.  For me, Brokeback Mountain is the cautionary tale of what you stand to lose when you stay numb or are too scared to embrace and fight for love. 

I can’t begin to thank the forum for giving me a place to grieve.  Through this forum I have found some of the loveliest people I have ever encountered in my life, thoughtful, profound, loving, and hilarious.  I have laughed and cried with so many here and I can’t begin to thank them for their kindness and for indulging me my soapbox rants and general garden variety snarkness.   I truly don’t know what I would have done without this place.

Reunion Kiss Anniversary

Lyle (Mooska) wrote:  “Sunday, Sept. 24th, is the date of Jack & Ennis's reunion and kiss.  A mention of that on TDS would bring a warm glow to my heart.  Anyone remember what they were doing that day in 1967?  … I don't know for sure, but I probably watched Disney's Wonderful World of Color on TV that evening...wonder what it was?” ***

September 24, 1967

In the BBM short story, Annie P. wrote that because Ennis didn’t know what time Jack was coming, he took the day off work.  I asked Lyle if he thought Ang Lee meant for the Reunion to occur on a Sunday in the film. 

Lyle:  “Well, since it's specific on the postcard it is (Sunday) in my mind!  It's not in the screenplay as such, but it sure seems like a lazy Sunday afternoon to me in the film…As for Ennis’ ranch work--my father worked on a farm most of his life and he had to go to work EVERY day of the week.  All he got off was Sunday afternoons and every other Sunday evening!  Those animals needed tendin--they didn't get the day off--they still wanted to eat! 

***(Editior's note-- On this day in 1967, Lyle was also eating birthday cake.  Check out the b-day thread and see who is his b-day twin.)

Long Distance Romance in the Forum

ImJackShesEnnis, no stranger to the long distance relationship, wrote:  “Nick flew from the UK to Seattle, with his key, let himself into Rob's apartment approximately an hour after Rob left for work, and waited for Rob to get home to surprise him.  Rob had NO IDEA that Nick was planning this.  Kind of funny and romantic and warm and mushy feelings......”

CellarDweller wrote this caption for the photo Nick_F took of RobinPuyallup:

Airline ticket to US:  $500.00

New clothes for trip:  $500.00

Cab fare from airport:  $75.00...

...the look on your boyfriend's face when
he sees you standing there.....PRICELESS.

Sig Lines in the Forum

ImJackShesEnnis finds inspiration in this line from Bruce Springsteen:

"The trick in adulthood is maintaining your idealism after losing your innocence."

She wrote:  "I found the quote in a music magazine while sitting in a doctor's office waiting room.  Goodness knows how old the magazine was!!  Anyway, there are always all these little quips and quotes in the margins and at the bottom of the page.  It caught my eye - as I turn 40 this year - with its message of trying to stay unjaded and hopeful for the future even as we age.  We still have to find the good in people even after we realize that people are bad,  still have to find a reason to vote, even when we know the candidates are or will be corrupted by the power we bestow on them, etc...  anyway, it also intrigued me that it came from Bruce Springsteen.  I personally have never given much thought to him having that level of insight or intelligence (Don't tell chuck, but it's the New Jersey thing!!) and I realized that i had truly misjudged him.  I had become jaded in my views.  I had to recapture some of my idealism.  His words worked on me that day."

Nutshell Reviews of Brokeback Mountain

From the Photo Captioning Fun! thread, by gnash

a cinematic masterpiece, with beautiful shots of the american west.
in fact, i could stare at this damn painting all day long.

like my friend says, it's all right, it's all right!

a devastating portrait of the tragedy of internalized homophobia...

...with some damn sexy scenes to boot!

fabulous! a virtual dictionary of fashion disasters!

WTF! dammit, i told you to quit buggin me! ya already
know my momma won't even let me see the f$*#in' thing!

i aint seen it either... now get the hell outta my trailer.

outstanding! but not enough scenes with zee chileans and zee basques!
them damn sheep, they got more screen time than we did!
and zee soup boxes, FYI, are EASY to pack. ang just made me say that!

señor? you forget to mention that it did not fully explore the complexities of the hustler!

would you two shut up?? i'm just glad they cut the pissin' scene. :::spits:::

and i'm ticked because no one even touched my cherry cake!

ennis: well i don't know about you, rodeo, but i sure loved that FNIT scene.

jack: i know you did, cowboy, but gimme a big SNIT any ol' day.

ennis: hmmmmm! well ok, how about right now?

jack: ribbit.

Calendar

Forum Events

Other Events

Today’s edition produced by Ellen Raff (tellyouwhat): ellen@davecullen.com

Contributors:  City Girl, Lyle (Mooska), ImJackShesEnnis, CellarDweller, Nick_F, Rob in puyallup, royandronnie, gnash

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 02:16:49 AM by BrokenOkie »