The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: DVD extras; cuts. What do you want? What would you pay for?  (Read 66985 times)

hifrommike65

Re: DVD extras; cuts. What do you want? What would you pay for?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 11:52:47 PM »
It's not unusual for films to be edited to a shorter length right up to the point of release.  Occasionally, a film will be edited even after its initial screenings.  In BBM's case, it was shown several times at festivals & it's likely some of those showings had a slightly different edit.  Whether some of the scenes that are most spoken of as being left out--like Schamus's brainstorm about the two guys helping hippies rescue their car from a river--ever even made a rough cut, is anyone's guess.  If it didn't, then it wouldn't have been scored or color-corrected, so it wouldn't be possible to rescue as footage for a "variorum" edition.  Some outside the USA have said they saw scenes, or parts of scenes, that weren't in the American release.  I doubt they made it to the DVD release in those countries, though.  (Just a guess.) 

Offline TomS

• Experienced
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 10:19:46 AM »
I've enjoyed the extras currently on the DVD.  In fact, I have made a pact with myself not to watch the movie unless I have time to see it all from beginning to end.  So when I need a quick fix, the LOGO special or the screenplay feature helps me through the night  :).

The LOGO special was a blessing when I shared the movie with my parents.  We watched it first, and was a terrific introduction to the movie for them, and I think paved the way for a deeper appreciation.

I would like to see the theatrical and TV trailers on the special DVD.
I would also like some extras featuring Gustavo Santaoalla and the music, and Rodrigo Prieto and the photography. 
Another feature that would be fun would be interviews with the actors who played Randall, LaShawn, and Jack's parents.
Commentaries by Ang, Diana and Larry would be great.
Finally, a featured interview with Annie Proulx would be welcome and appropriate.

hifrommike65

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 10:52:24 AM »
Hear hear to all of the above mentioned bonus features.  Needless to say, we need several different commentaries that help reveal different aspects of the film from a producer/director's, then actor's, then artistic professional's (musician, cinematographer, etc.) viewpoint.  Finally, how about one of those DVDs you can insert in your computer & link up to further online content?  A lot of it! 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 12:50:52 PM by hifrommike65 »

Offline Marge_Innavera

• Obsessed
  • I'M WITH HER
    • Gift of Exile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 07:13:09 AM »
Two words: deleted scenes.

They can be in a separate section, but I'd pay to see them.
" 'Red' states are the meth labs of democracy."

Offline stan

• Feet Wet
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 11:55:48 AM »
All the filmed deleted scenes (Jack & Randall at gas-station, hippie scene, all 13 FNIT takes!, etc)  ;D

It would be nice if they had tv spots from as many award shows as possible.

A 'fans' featurette (including something about our ad, etc).

A bonus disc with the complete score.

Price always depends on what's in it.

I want them to restore the FNIT scene to its original brightness, as we saw in the movie trailer. And I want it in high-definition resolution.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2006, 11:14:21 PM »
Great thread--what do we want on a special edition dvd?
Here's our chance to ask!

COMMENTARY
I would like separate commentary tracks with
Ang Lee, the cast, and the writers--including Annie Proulx.
Throw in James Schamus as well, with the writers or Ang Lee.

EXTRA FOOTAGE
I would like extra footage, whether it be deleted scenes or behind the scenes footage.
(For those wanting to see all the takes of any particular scene, like FNIT or something--IMO
you should forget about that right now.  First, most films never include an alternate take on the dvd's.  There's logic to that, in that a director, for example, wouldn't want to be second guessed on what take they used.  Also, many times they may DO several takes of a film,  but then the director will only PRINT a couple of them.

TRAILERS
Amazingly enough, I go to films on a regular basis (in L.A.) and I somehow NEVER saw the trailers for Brokeback Mountain in a theatre!  Really!  I have been told there are at least two different ones--one that is direct with the subject matter of the film, and another that hints at it.  Not only would it be interesting to see them. but commentary about those approaches might be instructive as well.

MUSIC VIDEO
I believe there's a music video of THE MAKER MAKES.  That would be a nice addition.

A SOUVENIR
When you love a film, it seems we want a piece of it in some way.
For a special edition of Brokeback Mountain, why not include reproductions of the postcards that Jack and Ennis sent back and forth to each other?  I think that would be simple enough to do, and it wouldn't take up any space.  Any other suggestions?

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2006, 12:36:07 PM »
Mooska, I love the souvenir post card repros idea.
May the bridges I burn light the way forward.

Offline rodsmith

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2006, 04:13:59 PM »
If you do a google search for "brokeback mountain fans", on the second page is a website for malcontent.  There you will find the Maker Makes video, videos of the Leno and Oprah interviews, as well as others.

I would like to see added dvd content to include deleted scenes, blooper scenes (if they exist, because the cast and crew usually wind up hamming it up at different times for all movie productions) as well as any other scenes that were printed but not included in the original release.

Offline djbdc9

• Obsessed
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2006, 05:11:31 PM »
Mooska, I love the souvenir post card repros idea.

Repros of the post cards is a very good idea!
I just got out the special edition of West Side Story, and there is a book containing the screenplay and photos in addition to the 2 discs.
I understand that at Virgin Megastore in Hollywood a 78 page picture book from Focus Features was given away with each DVD purchased during the first days of its release.  That book could be reduced in size and added, along with the post cards, to a two disc special edition of BBM.

Garry_LH

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2006, 09:31:33 PM »
I like all of the ideas I've read so far. Bloopers for such a painfull film are almost a must in helping any of us ever heal from this journey. A fantasy on my part would be a series of DVD's with all of the takes. Ang Lee could literally create a class on the choices made in creating BBM. It would have a wider market than just the college crowd, in that a few folks I can think of would shell out the big bucks to engage in this study for themselves.

As far as Jake and Heath doing a commentary, I wonder if either of them yet have the emotional distance to see this brilliant film, and the genius they themselves brought to it, in the way that we fanatics approach it? My guess is their commentary might come as a shock to a few of us.  Then, Jake and Heath cracking up as they remember antidotes during certain scenes, counter posed with the emotional places they went in other scenes, would be way appreciated by me. I wonder, are we really ready to know the down and dirty details of where and what the actors went to in creating their roles? What they used to bring forth their performances might very well not be what we the audience perceived from Ang Lee's edit.

An Annie Proulx commentary? Oh dear, I'm afraid half of it would be about how could anyone not think this was in every way the best picture of this decade, all colored with some most interesting language this side of the Mississippi. Hmmm.. but Ms. Proulx doing an intro to the film would be a major hoot.

What ever they do, I hope they have enough material to fill a second DVD. If they start adding postcards, maybe a teeshirt, I would guess somewhere between forty to fifty bucks. That classroom fantasy version of mine could easily run several hundred. Even at that, it would be a blessing if a few other directors decided to seriously study such a master as Ang Lee. Perhaps, we would get more films that did not start out assuming their audiences were lucky to know how to walk, let alone they might know how to think for themselves.

Offline obiphil

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2006, 09:22:04 AM »
There is this one cut scene I am truly truly yearningx10000 to see in full. I got it from the movie trailer. From what I can gather, it's Jack and Ennis in the truck hding towards the mountains in the morning after their motel reunion. Jack is driving and Ennis next to him. The camera catches Ennis' closing his eyes in a pained way for a brief moment. Oh good heaven, that's so angtsy and heartwrending. Not in a million yrs will I understand why Ang cut it out. It's the only scene that shows how much Ennis is warring with himself as he heads up into the mountains with Jack for the first time. In the edited movie version, we only see an Ennis who simply can't wait to head for the mountains with Jack. He brushes everything and everyone aside like he has no remorse or anything except may be a tiny show of guilt when goodbying Alma. But pained eye closing scene, it tells a very different story. I hope to heaven someday there'll be an unedited version of the movie where the scene is put bk in. BTW, I'd say 20% of the scenes in the trailer are cut scenes. Just make my mouth water so badly. Hope we get to see them all someday.

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2006, 11:14:16 AM »
I'm wondering if that scene of the truck with Ennis looking pained isn't coming back dOwn the mountain rather than going up. That would certainly make sense of the look on his face. [btw, to me it looks like Jack is in the middle and a third person is driving.] but I'm headed offtopic here, this should really be discussed in the Scene by Scene thread. Probably already has been. :D
May the bridges I burn light the way forward.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2006, 02:06:00 PM »
[btw, to me it looks like Jack is in the middle and a third person is driving.]
...but I'm headed offtopic here

I'll get back "on topic" in a second, but if there is indeed a third person driving, it may be a scene
where they're headed up to Brokeback for the first time, as Aguirre says "Tomorrow morning we'll truck you up to the jump-off."

On topic:
The "What would you pay for?" part of this thread might be
unnecessary here as most of us on this forum would pay for anything!

A SOUVENIR--Another Suggestion, or two...
A couple special edition box sets that I've gotten have had some 8x10's in them from the films, some were photos from the film and one a specially made photo for the set.  (At an even higher price, you could buy the set with autographed photos!)  Although computers enable many people to now download and print photos, I still enjoyed these items in the sets I've gotten.  Maybe for Brokeback Mountain a series of "snapshots from our fishing trips" would be interesting.  Especially if they were from outtakes or deleted scenes.

I'm just brainstorming here--that's what this thread is for!

How about a MAP of Wyoming/Texas with appropriately marked places.
And/or Alberta if the filming locations were included.

A calendar.

A small Wyoming license plate.

The set could come packaged in a replica of Ennis's mailbox.
...or a saddlebag...or a shirt...

A friend of mine thinks Annie Proulx's story should be included, but I'm of the mind that most all of us already have this.  Am I correct?  (We have the music as well I would expect.)

...for what it's worth.

Garry_LH

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2006, 03:18:59 PM »
Ok, I just watched the DVD for the first time in a month. Did real good, till Willie Nelson started singing...
Maybe it's just me living out here in the rural midwest, but I would like that cowboy boot camp sequence extended right out to the first time Jake got on a horse. I'm just a bit amazed at the young man from Martha's Vineyard bringing Jack Twist to life, and never having been on a horse before this. (yup, just adding this bit too all the other stuff I want.) I like that saddle bag idea, and the post cards. But to do it right, we're starting to look in the hundreds of bucks. No plastic look alike saddle bags!!!!! Leather replicas! By the time we reach this point, I want the DVD case to be a hand carved wood version of the movie poster.  Ah heck, how many diffrent sizes of shirts could there be to match the ones Jake and Heath wore that last day on the mountian?  ;D

Offline David G

• Obsessed
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2006, 07:12:39 PM »
Ok, I just watched the DVD for the first time in a month. Did real good, till Willie Nelson started singing...

I hear you man. I can't listen to that song. It's too sad and brings up too many painful reminders of the story.

I never heard that song before and it sounded so fitting to the film, I thought it was written for the movie. Sung perfectly too.