The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Larry McMurtry  (Read 54051 times)

Offline BrokenOkie

• Former Mod
  • Obsessed
    • The Dave Cullen Forum Band
Re: Larry McMurtry
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2007, 07:58:28 PM »
You're very welcome, Michael.  If anyone has photo requests of Archer City or the general area, I'm over there frequently.  Perhaps one day I'll actually stop and shop.  :D

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2007, 08:54:23 PM »

Thanks Glenn. After being in the book club discussion about "Last Pic..." and reading the book, it was really interesting to see your photos. The theater really captured the theme of the story. Has it been preserved because of McM, or is it just there? Do you leave in the area?

Thanks.

Nikki
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!

Offline BrokenOkie

• Former Mod
  • Obsessed
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2007, 09:06:26 PM »
Hi Nikki -

I'm not sure, but believe what's left of the building is being maintained as a matter of civic pride.  There has been a lot of restoration done around the town square in recent years, including a renovation/update to the county courthouse (will try to remember to get a shot of it next time).

The theater is located at the NE corner of the square.

I live about 1.75 hours from Archer City, but have been commuting to Wichita Falls for a lot of years, usually at least twice a week, so it's like my 2nd 'stomping ground'.  Texasville was also shot, at least partly, on location in and around Archer City and WF.

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2007, 09:25:10 PM »

Glenn, that's so interesting. I remember the town from the movie -- still looks the same? Have you ever met McM? Since reading Proulx and McM, I have gotten a yen to see the panhandle -- don't know why.  I have cousins in Houston and I've been to Galveston, but don't know anything about Texas, although I am from Louisiana - New Orleans - and we were right "next door" so to speak!

Thanks again for your pics.

N

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Online dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2007, 12:06:08 PM »
Glenn,

My brother looked at the pictures of Archer City you posted on this thread. 

He added, "What, no pic of the Dairy Queen?" and mentioned that that's where our dad met McMurtry, and got his autograph years ago.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline BrokenOkie

• Former Mod
  • Obsessed
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2007, 01:17:11 PM »
Ya know, I thought about the Dairy Queen as we passed it (it's on the south side of town) and then it became one of my many lost thoughts.  :D 

<makes sticky note to take DQ pic next time!>

I'll also get shots of the book store(s).  Who knows, maybe I can luck out and meet Mr. McMurtry one of these days.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 05:44:44 PM by BrokenOkie »

Offline WhenPigsFly

• Expert
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2007, 04:27:33 PM »
http://www.statesman.com/life/content/life/stories/books/01/28/28jeffcol.html

All my friends are going to be authors
Austin American Statesman
Sunday, January 28, 2007

Larry McMurtry wasn't sure it was a great idea for anyone to write about his part-time job. For years, the author of "Lonesome Dove" and "The Last Picture Show" has written his own books in the morning and then sold other people's books in the afternoon. For decades, he owned and operated a store called Booked Up in Washington, D.C., and has run an establishment of the same name since the '90s in his North Texas hometown of Archer City, where four large buildings hold more than 200,000 volumes.

But when Stayton Bonner sat down with him to talk about his moonlighting, McMurtry was skeptical that the discussion would go anywhere. 

"It was kind of daunting," says Bonner, an Austin journalist and songwriter who gigs semi-regularly at Flipnotics and the Hole in the Wall. "He said, 'I don't really have high hopes for this; journalists have never really gotten it right.' That was kind of hard for me; I was already intimidated about interviewing him because I grew up reading him. So I tried to learn as much about the book world as I could."

Apparently, the woodshedding paid off; not only has Bonner published a small, lovely book about McMurtry's sidelight, he got the great man himself to write the introduction to "The Bookman: A Story About Larry McMurtry's Other Day Job" (Three Dog Press).

It's not tough to figure out what drew Bonner to McMurtry; both men grew up as voracious readers in small-town Texas — in Bonner's case, in Henderson, near the Louisiana border. "Where I grew up there wasn't much to do," Bonner says, sitting in a comfy chair in one of his favorite hangouts, the North Lamar Boulevard Half Price Books. (Unbeknownst to either of us until we sat down, an endcap display of McMurtry books is standing just off to our left.) "There wasn't a whole lot going on to distract you, so my brothers and I would read 'Robin Hood' or whatever and then go out and play that. The fact that I could pick up a book and be transported anywhere just blew my mind as a young kid. That gave me a real love for reading — I'm always reading, always need to be reading. It's like an addiction."

Bonner came to Austin in 1998 to attend the University of Texas, wrote about music for The Daily Texan (he tells a funny story about how he landed the gig, but I'll let him save it for one of his shows, where the between-song patter is known to dominate the singing) and graduated with an English degree in 2002. There was a year traveling through the UK, a few months spent as an intern at Texas Monthly, and then the blurry, ever-promising present, in which Bonner works on his music (his third CD is due later this year), writes journalism and the occasional piece of ad copy and wrestles with his first novel, which is about a down-and-out musician living in a trailer in West Texas.

Somewhere in there, his friends Judy and Cody Ressell suggested he write an article about McMurtry's life as a bookseller. The Ressells, who live in Archer City, have grown close to McMurtry in recent years; they operate a store, Three Dog Books, next to his Booked Up compound. When McMurtry announced plans to close Booked Up in 2005, they thought a retrospective look at his bookselling career would make for a good newspaper or magazine article.

Bonner interviewed McMurtry at some length and wrote a 5,000-word story that he tried, without success, to sell to various periodicals. (I admit that I was one of the editors who expressed reservations about the length of the piece.) After McMurtry, who had decided not to close Booked Up after all, won an Academy Award for the "Brokeback Mountain" screenplay, the Ressells asked Bonner to update and trim his piece and let them publish it as a chapbook. (That's a pamphlet-sized book, usually put out by a small press.) "The Bookman" comes in two formats: the $20 trade version, which is available at BookPeople and threedogpress.com and the 200-copy limited edition, a $150 deluxe boxed set, which is signed by Bonner and the man he invariably calls "Mr. McMurtry." Available on the Web site, it includes a passel of McMurtry ephemera, including his "want list" of rare books.

It's a list that Bonner says he himself can't make that much use of. "It's hard to be a collector when you don't have a lot of money," he admits.
...somehow, as a coat hanger is straightened to open a locked car and then bent again to its original shape, they torqued things almost to where they had been, for what they'd said was no news.  Nothing ended, nothing begun, nothing resolved...

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2007, 08:57:18 PM »
Has anyone here seen the documentary 'Picture This: The times of Peter Bogdanovich in Archer City, Texas'?  Sounds very interesting:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102664/
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2007, 01:33:15 PM »
McMurtry fans, please go vote in the latest book poll here:

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=8585.0

Thanks!

Michael
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2007, 03:57:39 PM »
Hi all --

there is a new McMurtry novel out, another book about Sonny's friend Duane (The Last Picture Show, Duane's Depressed).  The title is When the Light Goes.  So everyone following the story of Duane gets a new episode in his life.  In this book he is haunted by the memory of his wife Karla (so says Amazon) but-- now he is single again.
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2007, 04:11:35 PM »
Hi all --

there is a new McMurtry novel out, another book about Sonny's friend Duane (The Last Picture Show, Duane's Depressed).  The title is When the Light Goes.  So everyone following the story of Duane gets a new episode in his life.  In this book he is haunted by the memory of his wife Karla (so says Amazon) but-- now he is single again.

hmmmm...it got a bad review from the San Antonio paper:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/stories/MYSA030407.9P.book.mcmurtry.1c90637.html

This independent bookseller seems to like it somewhat more, however:

http://warwicks.booksense.com/NASApp/store/Product;jsessionid=bacoyaQSWmayG7Ahcpvdr?s=showproduct&isbn=9781416534266

And here's another review:

http://roundheadedboy.blogspot.com/2007/02/back-to-mcmurtryville-when-light-goes.html

And a short one from 'Texas Monthly':

http://www.texasmonthly.com/mag/issues/2007-03-01/bookreviews.php

Online dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2007, 04:46:25 PM »
Thanks for those reviews and the info.

I just got an email notification from Amazon saying that since I'd ordered one of McMurtry's books, I might be interested in this one.  Now after reading the reviews, I'm not sure.  Three picks and a pan, or something like that?  But an awfully big pan. 

But I did read all of the previous Duane books and did like that kind of writing more than his true Western writing (I still haven't made it through more than a few pages of Lonesome Dove either!).  So it might be fun to see how this one turns out.  (When it goes to those cheapo book bins, as predicted.)
Jack's from Texas.

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2007, 08:58:45 AM »

As much of a McMurtry devotee as I am, there are a few of his books that just don't  do it for me. I just finished 'The Loop Group' about a strange group of people who work looping film in LA. The two protagonists are women who have various problems with family, lovers, money, etc.. it's set in modern LA. I only finished it because McM writes so well with such humor. I also read 'Boone's Lick' much better set in post-civil war west. As usual, McM's writing about women is supurb and his description of the west are excellent. Something about this book either being made into TV special or something regarding Tom Hanks-- don't know details.

I couldn't bring myself to continue the 'Last Picture Show' saga -- sometimes when an author drags on sequel after sequel, it seems to lose something -- becomes 'diluted' and washed out like he doesn't know what to do with the characters. Trouble is, McM is such a darn good writer that I will stick with something I don't like. In this case, I don't even want to continue with Duane and his crowd.

DJ, drop the rest and read 'Lonesome Dove' -- McM's masterpiece, especially if you like the west. It's long, but it has everything, and you'll love the two protags.  BTW, watch the movie, it's stunning and Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones ARE the protags -- the rest of the cast is excellent as well.

Oh yeah, one more McM book I just read --'Desert Rose' -- he says in the foreward that he wrote this while working on 'Lonesome Dove.' It's about a showgirl in modern Vegas. Interesting and offbeat. Again he seems to get into a woman's head when he writes. It's short and easy. It too has a sequel, but haven't decided whether to pursue it.

BTW Proulx said, regarding the screenplay for BBM, she trusted Ossana and  ...especially Larry McMurtry whose ear and eye for western America is equaled by none. And I think it was Ossana who praised McM for his narratives of women which are better than hers. (paraphrased that comment).  McM seems to have a sensitive approach to women coupled with an understanding of their problems.

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2007, 09:26:48 AM »

Oh yeah, one more McM book I just read --'Desert Rose' -- he says in the foreward that he wrote this while working on 'Lonesome Dove.' It's about a showgirl in modern Vegas. Interesting and offbeat. Again he seems to get into a woman's head when he writes. It's short and easy. It too has a sequel, but haven't decided whether to pursue it.

BTW Proulx said, regarding the screenplay for BBM, she trusted Ossana and  ...especially Larry McMurtry whose ear and eye for western America is equaled by none. And I think it was Ossana who praised McM for his narratives of women which are better than hers. (paraphrased that comment).  McM seems to have a sensitive approach to women coupled with an understanding of their problems.

Interesting about Desert Rose -- I have not read either, but since Lonesome Dove is regarded as a work of art, my guess is that he was letting off steam writing the other one! :D

As for Duane's saga -- I never realized until I tried it (a book) that when you live with these characters in your head for a while, they don't stop living just because the book ends.  The romance that ends happily -- or not -- those people keep bouncing around in one's head and sometimes they seem to demand some extra scenes be written, whether or not the author cares to put them into a book.  In Larry McMurtry's case, he is at the status where he can get everything he writes published.  But I think I understand why he keeps writing about Duane.
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Online dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2007, 09:50:24 AM »
Nikki and Ellen,

I was just in Sam's Club the other day and saw one of McMurtry's books in those cheapo bins the reviewer talks about.  It may have been "The Loop Group" -- I think it probably was.  $4.98.  But since I hadn't heard of it at that time, I passed on it.  I have such a stack of his books here. 

BTW, I did enjoy all the other Duane books, but thought the last one was the least interesting, so I wouldn't be surprised if Duane was running out of steam in the new one.  And BTW also, what business does his lesbian psychiatrist have in trying to teach him some new sexual tricks?  She had a partner, and that's really crossing the line for a psychiatrist treating a patient.
Jack's from Texas.