The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Character Analysis of Ennis Del Mar  (Read 485624 times)

Offline CANSTANDIT

• Obsessed
  • Special Brokeback Victims Unit
Re: Character Analysis of Ennis Del Mar
« Reply #4020 on: September 12, 2015, 11:12:38 PM »
Another thought about this....from many months ago!....is he may have tried to treat her like Alma, if you catch my drift. She may not have been so easily....flipped.

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #4021 on: September 13, 2015, 02:52:52 AM »
I have often wondered if 'story' Cassie even exists.  She is included in the conversation that is immediately followed up with the notice that "the sparks went up (with) (like) their truths and lies...," leaving me to wonder if Ennis's vague comments had any roots in reality: he was very liable to say anything to prevent exposing his nature from everyone, including himself, or so it seems sometimes. FWIW

Surely, this has to be a serious consideration? I love that after all these years, I can read stuff on the Forum that makes me rethink so much. I guess I never really put enough thought into it in the first place.
the shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

Offline Desecra

• Obsessed
« Reply #4022 on: September 13, 2015, 07:07:41 AM »
When I first read the story, I assumed the affair with the waitress was more or less made up.   I was sruprised to see her actually cast in the film. 
Unless, I say otherwise, I'm probably talking about the short story, not the movie. :)

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #4023 on: September 13, 2015, 09:01:31 AM »
"the sparks went up (with) (like) their truths and lies...,"

On seeing the movie, I rather thought this was referring to Jack's 'ranch neigbour's wife' instead of husband.

Offline Desecra

• Obsessed
« Reply #4024 on: September 13, 2015, 01:08:09 PM »
"Their" truths and lies suggests there were truths and lies on both their parts, perhaps?    More than one lie, anyway.    Although doesn't mean the waitress doesn't exist, just that Ennis is lying about some aspect of the relationship.  
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:07:58 AM by Desecra »
Unless, I say otherwise, I'm probably talking about the short story, not the movie. :)

Offline CANSTANDIT

• Obsessed
« Reply #4025 on: September 13, 2015, 09:53:08 PM »
I think what's most important about the waitress is we see her in no other context, but as conversation with Jack. It does add credence to the 'lies' aspect.

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
« Reply #4026 on: September 14, 2015, 02:52:15 AM »
I'm inclined to think that even if there was a waitress she'd be someone that Ennis might make the effort to briefly flirt with over the bar, just to prove to himself and others that he's not no queer.

Offline royandronnie

• Regards from my bit of the Mountain
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • They existed in our hearts, and always will.
« Reply #4027 on: September 16, 2015, 08:32:08 PM »
I'm inclined to think that even if there was a waitress she'd be someone that Ennis might make the effort to briefly flirt with over the bar, just to prove to himself and others that he's not no queer.

You know, I've always just assumed she didn't exist. But you know what? If she doesn't, then Ennis doesn't have much cover with himself: why does he feel the need to make up a relationship? Of course, it is in response to Jack and the "ranch neighbor's wife," so he feels threatened, but even so, then he has to think "why DON'T I actually have a girlfriend?" Or, at least, "why did I lie about it? I'm straight--what do I need to invent someone for?" It stirs up the mud if she's not real, is what I'm saying.

So I'm swinging back to the idea that she is real, but far from serious. I don't think he'd just flirt--I think he needs the actual act to prove it to himself. Which is what he most needs to do. I think he screws her once a week on Friday night or something and calls that a relationship. Or, maybe, he did for a while and stopped seeing her--but it couldn't have been ended long, or the cover isn't real enough to keep his fears quiet.
"…in the family homestead of his dead lover, the shirts they wore while cowboying together long before: shabby denim and weary cotton, wrapped in each other's arms." Like this. Always.

He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #4028 on: September 17, 2015, 01:51:27 AM »
Makes sense for someone such as Ennis to not make it a flight of fancy but rather, something more tangible, more real.

Offline CANSTANDIT

• Obsessed
« Reply #4029 on: September 18, 2015, 10:16:20 PM »
Good point, R and R and Andy's follow- up. He'd take action, more so than just BS around about it.

But keeping the following in mind: He also found a way to confront what he was doing with Jack and call it something else. So he already has an awareness that this 'thing' between them can make him suspect ('I mean, I know I aint-?). He's always been worried about that. If he senses Jack is getting impatient more recently and wants to push things again, he may feel an almost desperate need to come up with a beard.

But I do believe it's probably somewhere in the middle-he knows a waitress and soon as she wanted to get closer to him, he begged off and has told himself it's her fault. That would make sense if he can't bring himself to sleep with anyone other than Jack anymore, and that may be the case.

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
« Reply #4030 on: November 07, 2015, 12:53:06 AM »
~snip~

So I'm swinging back to the idea that she is real, but far from serious. I don't think he'd just flirt--I think he needs the actual act to prove it to himself. Which is what he most needs to do. I think he screws her once a week on Friday night or something and calls that a relationship. Or, maybe, he did for a while and stopped seeing her--but it couldn't have been ended long, or the cover isn't real enough to keep his fears quiet.
Ah yes, the actual act. After what is presumably a few years (going by the age of Francine) of non-productive sex, Ennis suddenly gets the urge to get back to vaginal sex with Alma. Maybe he was after another kid (that wanted boy) or maybe he simply needed to do the actual act to prove something to himself. I suspect this change of direction was caused by some outside event (and I put my money on Don Wroe's cabin but....) which caused him to have a few doubts about himself, doubts which needed to be quickly quashed.