The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?  (Read 503867 times)

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?
« Reply #7470 on: March 05, 2018, 07:42:58 AM »
Yes, and yes!  I am so over Hollywood, but AJ is really good.   I, Tonya is about the only movie out of that list that I want to see.
“I answer the heroic question 'Death, where is thy sting? ' with ' it is here in my heart and mind and memories.'”  Maya Angelou

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #7471 on: March 05, 2018, 07:53:59 AM »
I saw God's Own Country last night, I liked it a lot.  I'll probably go back for seconds, to get any nuances I might have missed.  Love the country, the cinematography...and Gheorghe  ;)
“I answer the heroic question 'Death, where is thy sting? ' with ' it is here in my heart and mind and memories.'”  Maya Angelou

Online Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #7472 on: March 05, 2018, 08:42:28 AM »
Gheorghe is heaven!
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7473 on: March 05, 2018, 10:10:05 AM »
Yeah,  that's it! I didn't even know the name! Does she survive?

Eventually, affirmative.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7474 on: March 05, 2018, 10:32:02 AM »
I think Room with a View would be my favourite of the films of his I’ve seen.

I love A Room with a View, but I'd have to go with Maurice made in 1987. A lot of gay films
didn't start to be made until the 1990's when the "Queer Cinema" term arose and Maurice
just floored me with it's romanticism, optimism and a satisfying ending. It still does. It even
managed an Oscar nomination for the costume design.

Another gay themed film that came out in 1987, and was also stellar, is Parting Glances. A film
that featured a relatively unknown Steve Buscemi and Kathy Kinney among the cast. Anyone
see that one?

Both A Room with a View and Howard's End were screened at the Academy when they were having
their Great to Be Nominated Series a decade ago. I hadn't seen A Room with a View in a long time and
I was a bit afraid to go see it again, because I had liked it so much and on occasion you revisit a movie
and it doesn't live up to your memory of it. I was happy to find that I was as overjoyed with it again
as I was originally. It's a delightful confection.

When Howard's End was screened, James Ivory was a guest and did an interview and a little Q&A afterwards.
That's where I learned he wasn't British. For some reason most people think he is. Even my British friend,
a BAFTA member, was surprised! James Ivory was born in 1928 in Berkeley, California, of all places! I wish
he'd write a memoir or autobiography of his life experiences.

I hope James Ivory had a delightful evening last night.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7475 on: March 05, 2018, 10:38:16 AM »
Yes, and yes!  I am so over Hollywood, but AJ is really good.   I, Tonya is about the only movie out of that list that I want to see.

A couple (male & female) came to the Oscar party I attended last night as Jeff Gillooly and Tonya Harding--in figure skating
outfit complete with ice skates. Another person delayed coming to the party until making sure Allison Janney had won, arrived
dressed exactly like Allison Janney as Tonya's mother, complete with bird on shoulder, breathing apparatus etc., with an Oscar-like
statue, made an entrance and marched over to "Tonya", threw the Oscar in her lap and said, "Don't say I never gave you anything."

LOL!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7476 on: March 05, 2018, 10:50:02 AM »
I saw something on the white shirt as he gave an awesome acceptance speech. I did not get a good look at it until your posting.  WOW!  The shirt is quite unique, bold and it is awesome that he chose to wear it.  His Oscar is long overdue and in a way, by wearing that shirt, he's sharing the stage with Chalamet whom he probably knew would not win.  Not because Chalamet's  performance was not stella and bindking, but because Oldman's Oscar was also long overdue.

A nice sentiment, I hope that's why he wore it!  When James Ivory also won the BAFTA award for screenplay, Timothee got up from his seat and helped
James Ivory up to the stage when he made his way down the aisle. I liked seeing that.

His speech was concise and from his heart. How do your thank everyone dear to your life and career in seconds?  Quite well done.

He should've won the jet-ski!  :D

Wanna bet the artist has more requests [for that shirt] now?

A whole lot of press was talking about Ivory's shirt, wondering all sorts of things and eventually
finding out who the artist was and saying "where do we get one?" They found out and reported:
"Ivory’s shirt was painted by an artist named Andrew Mania, whose made others like it. Good news:
they’re for sale. Bad news: the chances of you getting one now are slim."

INDEED!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7477 on: March 05, 2018, 10:50:26 AM »

Here's the artist wearing a similar one.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7478 on: March 05, 2018, 01:17:21 PM »

Frances McDormand's Oscar Stolen at Governors Ball in Hollywood
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/frances-mcdormand-oscar-thief-video-facebook-live-1202718197/

After getting her Oscar engraved at the Governor's Ball, somehow a man walked away with it
and pretended it was his. I guess someone there found out and called him out on it and it
got returned to Frances, who told authorities to let him go, but apparently he has been
arrested:

"Los Angeles Police have confirmed Terry Bryant was arrested for grand theft, after the statuette
went missing from the Governor's Ball. The 47-year old was booked and has had bail set at $20,000.
He will attend court at a future date. LAPD said Bryant was a ticket holder for the Governor's Ball, which
is the official formal dinner after the ceremony. Bryant posted video of himself with the statuette on
Facebook."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7479 on: March 05, 2018, 01:53:28 PM »

I loved this article:

My Unpopular Opinion: The Oscars Should Always Be Long
by Kyle Buchanan

Yes, the Oscars are long. You know what else is long? The Super Bowl, but you don’t have Justin Timberlake zipping through the National Anthem and begging the teams to use fewer time-outs. Every year, people levy this tired, “too long” complaint against the Oscars as though it’s a horrible imposition to watch Jordan Peele make history and see Armie Hammer wield a hot-dog cannon on a free television station. Let’s give the Oscars the space to actually be the Oscars, instead of groaning about time constraints in an era where people will happily watch a 13-episode Netflix season all in one sitting. If you don’t enjoy a long Oscarcast, then you’re simply not watching it with the right people, and if you can’t find the fun in a few hours per year where we get to revel in actresses and artists and Rita Moreno reaction shots and Sufjan Stevens in that jacket, then we don’t want you anyway!

More here:
http://www.vulture.com/2018/03/my-unpopular-opinion-the-oscars-should-always-be-long.html

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #7480 on: March 05, 2018, 03:57:03 PM »
I saw God's Own Country last night, I liked it a lot.  I'll probably go back for seconds, to get any nuances I might have missed.  Love the country, the cinematography...and Gheorghe  ;)

Yes, loved it too.  It is much easier to view with subtitles due to the accents.. so I've seen it 2x now and could do another viewing to capture it all.  As for Gheorghe, ditto  :o   V.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7481 on: March 06, 2018, 07:33:21 AM »
Saturday evening neither TCM nor my local PBS station showed anything I was interested in watching, so I pulled my DVD of Gigi off the shelf and watched it.

It's one of my go-to movies for when I'm feeling particularly cheerful and want to stay feeling particularly cheerful.

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #7482 on: March 06, 2018, 04:54:45 PM »
[...]

Another gay themed film that came out in 1987, and was also stellar, is Parting Glances. A film
that featured a relatively unknown Steve Buscemi and Kathy Kinney among the cast. Anyone
see that one?

[...]

I saw it when it came out and man was I excited! I just loved it! A gay classic for sure.
"Florence, this is a tough hurricane. One of the wettest we've ever seen from the standpoint of water." - Trump

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #7483 on: March 06, 2018, 05:27:44 PM »
I saw it when it came out and man was I excited! I just loved it! A gay classic for sure.
"Parting Glances" is well done! V

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #7484 on: March 06, 2018, 06:53:20 PM »
Well it took us 8 years to fill another 500 pages on this thread, and so the time has come to open a new thread. The link for it is here:

http://ultimatebrokebackforum.com/index.php?topic=49329.msg2708655#msg2708655

I am going to lock this thread later tonight, so if you have anything to post, please post it on the new thread. After the previous thread is locked, and you want to quote anything, just copy what you want to quote and paste it in the new thread.

Thanks.
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name