The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Overlooked Films--Great films (most of) the world missed  (Read 95823 times)

Offline Passion

• Cant have enough
  • Obsessed
Re: Overlooked Films--Great films (most of) the world missed
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2006, 09:08:30 PM »
How about Crush no not the movie about the young psycho girl or the one about the surfing girl and I did not put a U instead of an A! This is a movie with Andie McDowell.  See the review at Amazon -- it is about friendship and love and how it can all go terribly wrong!  I really liked it and wished more people could have seen it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006ADD0/qid=1143432144/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-4680955-3558253?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130
Plot Synopsis: Three 40-something women in a small English town meet weekly for a ritual of gin, cigarettes, and sweets -- and swapped stories arguing which of them has the most pathetic love life. Kate (MacDowell) is headmistress at the local school; her best friends are the town's police chief (Staunton) and a cynical, thrice-divorced doctor (Chancellor). When Kate begins a fling with a handsome younger man (Doughty), less worldly than her friends but passionate and sincere, the other women can't simply be happy for the couple's unusual new romance. In jealousy they promptly take it upon themselves to break up the pair, taking drastic measures which result in unintended outcomes, some happy and some tragic.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Offline dback

• Obsessed
Re: DC's Overlooked Film Festival
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 01:49:22 PM »
I will start things off with one I think a lot of people here will like, but not so many will have heard of:

Apartment Zero, 1989.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/apartment_zero/

RT rating 88% (but only 8 reviews).

A weird and deliciously creepy suspense film with extremely strong gay undertones. Overtones?

Starring Hart Bochner (at his hottest), Colin Firth, Liz Smith.

Directed by Martin Donovan

Winner Best Picture and Best Director at the Seattle International Film Festival, 1989.

The not-entirely-clear synopsis from RT (I think the inability to synopsize this very unusual film was a big part of its problem getting the love):

The proprietor of a Buenos Aires revival-house cinema meets an American "free spirit;" and before long, he has agreed to let the stranger board in his flat, which is decorated with pictures of movie stars.

Although the theater owner obsequiously vies for the American's affections, he becomes aware that unexplained murders have been taking place in the city, and that his lodger may not be exactly what he seems.

As their relationship develops, both men attempt to discover who the other one is, and what he is striving to attain.

I LOVE this movie--and I've never seen a film in a theater where my shirt became soaked with perspiration due to sheer, nerve-wracking suspense.
"No reins on this one."

Casper

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 06:13:57 AM »
sinne, I just have to tell you that I read in Daily Variety a rave review of the stage show, "Hedwig and the Angry Inch," currently at the Roxy Theater in Los Angeles.  Donovan Leitch is praised for his performance as Hedwig. 

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006, 11:16:06 AM »
I really liked LANTANA, not sure how many people saw it.  An Australian friend actually told me about it (at the time I had never heard of it) so I rented it, actually ended up buying a copy, I really liked it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0259393/

FUNGURL

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
Re: DC's Overlooked Film Festival
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2006, 01:22:32 PM »
I LOVE this movie--and I've never seen a film in a theater where my shirt became soaked with perspiration due to sheer, nerve-wracking suspense.

I'm so glad someone here has seen Apartment Zero. And was just as unnerved by it. It is one intense film. But it's the undertones that really got me.

Very creepy. But in a good way. And creepy mixed with a hottie is always good. Especially when you start wondering who's creeping whom . . .

I'll say no more. Go see it.

---

Which brings up the question:

I have missed a few posts, but has anyone rented any of the recommended films yet? I'd love to start hearing back from people who tried out one of the suggestions and loved or hated it.

I plan to add a few to my netflix queue, but i'm in the middle of about 20 discs in the Six Feet Under series. I was too poor for HBO until recently, so I only saw the final season. Starting over from the beginning. And I liked it at the end, but it was WAY better in the beginning.

Offline dback

• Obsessed
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2006, 01:36:02 PM »
I've been meaning to post some films here for awhile now (was too busy playing in the Queer Cinema thread).  Here are some--completely as they randomly come to mind--that I've never been able to shake.  I'll try to avoid listing movies from the Queer Cinema thread as dupes (though "Mysterious Skin" is way up on the list).

Lawn Dogs
Twin Falls, Idaho
One Hour Photo
Dominick and Eugene
Gas, Food & Lodging
Bagdad Cafe
The Deep End
Shooting Fish
Choose Me
Wilbur Wants To Kill Himself
The Others
Nicholas Nickleby
The Safety Of Objects
Widow's Peak
Raising Victor Vargas
Urbania
The Long Day Closes
World And Time Enough
Intermission
Heaven (documentary)

"No reins on this one."

Offline Carissa

• Obsessed
  • Too young. too soon. too loved to be gone.
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2006, 03:05:49 PM »
The Deep End
Wilbur Wants To Kill Himself
Nicholas Nickleby
The Safety Of Objects
Raising Victor Vargas
I've seen these on your list.  I thought Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself was a gem of a movie. :)

Another quirky yet charming movie is The Price of Milk
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 03:08:13 PM by Carissa »
Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
- Romeo and Juliet (Juliet at III, ii)

Offline dback

• Obsessed
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 12:38:47 PM »
I was really amazed by "Wilbur"--told lots of friends about it, but they thought it looked and sounded "too depressing."  I tried pitching it as a modern "Harold and Maude," but with only qualified success.  I also love the idea of a movie character named Harbor--what a lovely name, meaning safety and sanctuary.

On my list, I also left off "Impromptu"--how COULD I!?!  I love that movie passionately.  Talk about your odd couple romances!  (And based on fact, which makes it even more of a pip.)
"No reins on this one."

Offline BrokebackBerlin

• Feet Wet
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 03:11:14 PM »
The film I would like to recommend here is "Good Bye Lenin!". It hasn't been overlooked at all in Europe, and was quite a success all over the world, but I think in the U.S. it is quite unknown.

http://www.sonyclassics.com/goodbye/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0301357/

Or just read the reviews at amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000274THQ/.

It is also a film about love, but about a son's love for his mother (non-sexual, of course, it's not French ;)). It's a comedy and a melancholic love-story about this son's love for his mother at the same time. It is very entertaining and doesn't bother you with a cheesy happy-ending (who wants happy-endings anymore after BBM?). But it's an uplifter nevertheless, and has one to-be-seen, outstanding cinematic moment toward the end. IMHO it's one of the few movies you can bear watching and enjoy, even if you are still suffering from a post-BBM-depression.

Jan
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 03:23:43 PM by BrokebackBerlin »

Casper

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2006, 12:03:42 PM »
"LITTLE FUGITIVE"
(1953)

Directed by:  Ray Ashley and Morris Engel

I love this film!  It brings out the "little kid" in me all the time.  It's a black & white movie with a simple harmonica score running throughout.  Joey (Richie Andrusco) runs aways for a day (and night) to Coney Island.  You see this fabulous amusement park through the eyes of this little lad.  The famous Parachute Jump can be seen in all its glory. 

jayiijay

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2006, 10:44:37 PM »
Make Way for Tomorrow - 1937 - d. Leo McCarey.  When Leo won the director Oscar that year for classic The Awful Truth, he is purported to have said, "Thanks, but you gave it to me for the wrong movie".  Without giving anything away, it's about an aged couple (Beaulah Bondhi & Victor Moore) who lose their money and struggle to stay together in their waning years.  Make Way made me cry harder than anything I have ever seen, including Brokeback.  Thomas Mitchell of Stagecoatch & Gone With the Wind plays one of their children. 

Ballad of a Soldier - 1960 - Russia - go to imdb.com for details, I can't spell the names, LOL.  Short and beautiful love story of a soldier who meets a girl, and what ensues.  Another tearjerker.

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek - 1944 - d. Preston Sturges.  Considered a classic in many quarters but forgotten in most, I think this is the funniest movie I have ever seen, with Sturges' usual roster of crazies led by Eddie Bracken, Betty Hutton, Diana Lynn, and best of all, William Demarest (pre-My 3 Sons).  The movie was banned by censors during the war.

Dressed to Kill - 1980 - d. Brian de Palma.  Saw this in an almost abandoned Times Square theater in 1980.  So terrified we both agreed to leave the movie and snuck next door to Lady and the Tramp.  Still scares me even in hyper-edited form when shown on tv.  Filmed as an homage to Psycho, it lives up to expectations, capturing how vulnerable we are to crime in urban settings.  Was too realistic for comfort.

Two Ralph Fiennes movies - Sunshine (2000, d. Istvan Szabo, who did Mephisto) and Spider (2003), d. David Cronenberg.    The former is an epic, spanning 20th century European history from by tracing a family called Sunshine.  Critics were mixed, though the Golden Globes nominated it for Best Picture (no Oscar noms - see the pattern??).  Starts a bit slow but stick with it, I thought it was monumental.  As for Spider, I don't want to give anything away, it is unique, with Fiennes and Miranda Richardson incredible in creepy, mesmerizing performances.  Again, imdb.com for details.

Russian Ark - 2002.  For a compelling tour of the Hermitage museum of St. Petersburg and its history, this is a remarkable film.

Odd Man Out - 1947, d. Carol Reed.  The first film of a trilogy, overshadowed by the third, masterpiece The Third Man, Odd Man Out tells the story of a rebel who is shot, then wanders the night seeking a friend as he is dying, like in a nightmare.  Amazing film, unfairly overlooked in the all-time great polls.

The Search - 1948, d. Fred Zinnemann.  A huge hit in 1948 with major Oscar nominations (though not Picture), seemingly forgotten today, tells the story of a young soldier, Montgomery Clift (I think in his first film role, nominated) who befriends a lost young boy, as they search for his mother.  Simple, very moving.

Kind Hearts and Coronets - 1950, d. Robert Hamer.  Perhaps this is more famous than I give it credit for, but just in case, it's one of the best comedies ever made, with Alec Guinness in 8 roles, all victims, as Dennis Price seeks the family fortune.

The Others - Again, I don't know if this qualifies for this thread, but I thought Nicole Kidman should have gotten her 2001 nomination for this even more than Moulin Rouge.  Fionnula Flanagan wasn't even nominated, should have won.  Haunting, surprising, fun.

Offline Forever_Failure

• Experienced
  • Year of Summer
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2006, 12:42:23 AM »
"The Others" is such an amazing film, I don't watch horror films too much, most of them fail to scare me, they all look the same, especially after "Scream" and "The Ring". However, The Others is not more of a psychollogical horror film, in the path of "The Sixth Sense". And the best part, is that it was directed by the CHILEAN Alejandro Amenábar! (I know he's Spanish, his parents are Chilean and he was born in this country but left when he was a baby. The funny part is that the press here always praise him as "The Chilean" Alejandro Amenábar, meh..)

I suggest to try Amenábar's other movies "Tesis" and "Abre los Ojos" (not the crappy remake Vanilla Sky). Very scary too.

I disagree with Memento. Not because it's a bad film, but because it's not overlooked at all. It's all over the place.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 12:50:33 AM by Forever_Failure »

Offline GoBrokeback

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2006, 09:54:49 AM »
North Country!  It was excellent!
Whatever is was nominated for in the Oscars it was robbed!!!

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2006, 08:40:39 PM »
The film I would like to recommend here is "Good Bye Lenin!". It hasn't been overlooked at all in Europe, and was quite a success all over the world, but I think in the U.S. it is quite unknown.

that pic reminded me suddenly of "Europa, Europa," which i liked, but don't remember loving, though the title always tugs at me.

but it bounced me straight to "Searching for Bobbie Fisher" (is that the title?), which i liked a great deal.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2006, 08:47:08 PM »
i still love "hope and glory." treasure it, actually.

you could argue that it wasn't overlooked, because it got like five surprise oscar noms, including best pic, but last i checked on b.o. mojo, i think it made about $10 million, if that. died immediately after the oscars. don't think many people saw it.

it's life in london during WW II, during the bombing. except it's from the point of view of a young boy (boorman's wistful memories of his own childhood), so it's not bleak, these boys are in heaven. most repeated line of dio: "Want some shrapnel?"

touching but not treakely, closely-observed, moving . . . a joy. just the idea of it sustains me.