The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Overlooked Films--Great films (most of) the world missed  (Read 158483 times)

BRAD1963

Re: Overlooked Films--Great films (most of) the world missed
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2006, 11:01:29 AM »
PRIDE & PREJUDICE from last year.  It was perfect on all levels and was ANOTHER FILM THAT WAS BETTER THAN "CRASH"!!!!

Offline sinne

• Expert
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2006, 10:37:51 PM »
sinne, I just have to tell you that I read in Daily Variety a rave review of the stage show, "Hedwig and the Angry Inch," currently at the Roxy Theater in Los Angeles.  Donovan Leitch is praised for his performance as Hedwig. 

Casper - Thanks!  Gee.... I haven't been on this thread in a long time.  It's hard to keep up.  Did you see "Hedwig" with Donovan?  I remember hearing he was going to be playing in it.  L.A. is a long way from where I am, but thanks for letting me know.  If you can post the review, I'd love to see it! 
Brokeback Got Me Good

Offline sinne

• Expert
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2006, 10:44:33 PM »
I keep mentioning this film on various threads so more people will see it - "Hedwig and the Angry Inch".  

Yes! 'Hedwig' is a must see! I was living in Athens, Georgia when it was released, just so happens that was also where director/star John Cameron Mitchell was living at the time, so the movie got a lot of promotion just from word of mouth in the Atlanta/Athens area. I thought it was going to be the next 'Rocky Horror Picture Show'. Highly recommended!

I would also recommend, and I mentioned this somewhere else on here, Ang Lee's first "gay" movie 'The Wedding Banquet'.

Thanks!  Like I just posted to Casper, I haven't been back on this thread in ages.  Wow - that's really cool about JCM living in the same town you were.  I think he's a genius.  His next film - "Shortbus" - is at the Cannes Film Festival in May.  Can't wait to hear more about it.  That's a long break between films.  I saw "The Wedding Banquet" when it was first released but can't remember much about it.  I must watch it again.  Thanks for reminding me.
Brokeback Got Me Good

Offline sinne

• Expert
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2006, 11:29:05 PM »
OK, since I haven't been here in ages, here are some overlooked (or maybe not?) films I highly recommend:

Stevie - Glenda Jackson - about the poet Stevie Smith.  I have watched this many times and love it more and more each time.
Ruby in Paradise - with a very young Ashley Judd, might be her first movie.  Little slice-of-life, very well done.
House of Games - David Mamet.  I recommended it to everyone when I discovered it and everyone loved it. Lots of twists and turns.
Last Night - a great little Canadian film by the always-interesting Don McKellar, and featuring Sandra Oh, who's equisite.
My Life as a Dog - Swedish.  Directed by Lasse Halstrom, before he came to America and went downhill.
Citizen Ruth - black comedy about both sides of the abortion issue.  Laura Dern is always putting it all on the line & successfully.
Rambling Rose - another Laura Dern gem.
Manny & Lo - Scarlett Johannson as a kid in a wonderful story of two motherless girls.
Crumb - documentary about underground cartoonist R. Crumb.  Unforgettable.  (probably not so overlooked...?)
84 Charing Cross Road - based on a lovely little book  - with Anne Bancroft, Anthony Hopkins and Judi Dench - all in top form.
Dirty Pretty Things - our local film society patrons voted this their #2 fav, after "Whale Rider".  Got spontaneous applause in the middle!
Entertaining Mr. Sloane - black comedy by playright Joe Orton.  Not for everyone but I loved it.
The Shop Around the Corner - hopefully not overlooked.  Don't miss it if you've never seen it.  Pauline Kael called it "sheer perfection".

That's all for now....
Brokeback Got Me Good

jayiijay

« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2006, 09:21:24 PM »
SINNE:

Terrific list.  I agree with every film you mentioned that I have seen, and will now make sure I eventually see Last Night and Manny & Lo - so thank you!

Stevie was a 1978 release but somehow the Academy deemed overlooked it.  Then, when it got re-released in 1981, it won Best Actress for Glenda Jackson and Supporting Actress for Mona Washbourne at the New York Film Critics and other groups, but the Academy said too late.  Both women deserved nominations (at least) whether '78 or '81, just more errors.

The Shop Around the Corner was definitely overlooked in 1940, it faced a lot of stiff competition, but it is very highly regarded today.  Rambling Rose got nominations for Laura Dern and mom Diane Ladd (that was a first), but you are right, the movie went nowhere, it deserved better.  Crumb got huge great acclaim but the idiots on the Academy documentary committee did not deem it worthy.  My Life as a Dog got a director nomination for Lasse Hallstrom in '87, but the antiquated Academy rules on Foreign Film rendered it ineligible for a nomination.  Bad.

Offline sinne

• Expert
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2006, 10:12:43 PM »
"The Search", 1948, d. Fred Zinnemann.  Montgomery Clift.

For those who get Turner Classic Movies, one of my all-time favorites is on at 12:15 a.m. on Sunday morning (late Saturday night -always confusing, at least to me, LOL).  It is called The Search, with Montgomery Clift in his screen debut (Red River was filmed first but this was released first).  The story is simple, an American GI helps a boy search for his mother in post WW-II Germany - don't want to say anymore about the plot.  Even though the film was acclaimed in its year (Oscar nominations for Best Director, Screenplay, Actor, though not Picture), it is often overlooked today.  See it!  thx

We must be on a bit of a delay with Turner Classics in Canada.  This is just about to start.  I've never seen it but I trust your judgement - thanks for the recommendation!  I'm in the middle of watching Woody Allen's "Match Point" but I'll stop and watch this instead, although I am enjoying it more than I expected.......
Brokeback Got Me Good

Offline sinne

• Expert
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2006, 10:15:34 PM »
SINNE:

Terrific list.  I agree with every film you mentioned that I have seen, and will now make sure I eventually see Last Night and Manny & Lo - so thank you!

Stevie was a 1978 release but somehow the Academy deemed overlooked it.  Then, when it got re-released in 1981, it won Best Actress for Glenda Jackson and Supporting Actress for Mona Washbourne at the New York Film Critics and other groups, but the Academy said too late.  Both women deserved nominations (at least) whether '78 or '81, just more errors.

The Shop Around the Corner was definitely overlooked in 1940, it faced a lot of stiff competition, but it is very highly regarded today.  Rambling Rose got nominations for Laura Dern and mom Diane Ladd (that was a first), but you are right, the movie went nowhere, it deserved better.  Crumb got huge great acclaim but the idiots on the Academy documentary committee did not deem it worthy.  My Life as a Dog got a director nomination for Lasse Hallstrom in '87, but the antiquated Academy rules on Foreign Film rendered it ineligible for a nomination.  Bad.

Thanks for all the info.  You are a real movie buff!!!  Let me know what you think of "Last Night" (be sure to watch it all the way through to the end) and "Manny & Lo".  I could make a lot of these lists and I'm sure you could too!   :D
Brokeback Got Me Good

jayiijay

« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2006, 10:38:24 PM »
SINNE:

I am psyched you are watching The Search!  Really hope you like it, please let everyone know.

I agree re: Match Point, thought it was terrific, one of the best of 2005.  The Golden Globes wisely gave it a Best Picture nomination (along with Brokeback, Good Night & Good Luck, A History of Violence & The Constant Gardner...darn good group... gee, what did they leave out...oh yeah, Pride & Prejudice, but that was nominated for Best Musical or Comedy).  Cannes also loved Match Point.

Offline sinne

• Expert
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2006, 12:12:45 AM »
SINNE:

I am psyched you are watching The Search!  Really hope you like it, please let everyone know.

I agree re: Match Point, thought it was terrific, one of the best of 2005.  The Golden Globes wisely gave it a Best Picture nomination (along with Brokeback, Good Night & Good Luck, A History of Violence & The Constant Gardner...darn good group... gee, what did they leave out...oh yeah, Pride & Prejudice, but that was nominated for Best Musical or Comedy).  Cannes also loved Match Point.

OMG!  I LOVED "The Seach"!!!  Thank-you so much for recommending it.  I'm a mess.  Cried my eyes out.  As a "motherless child" myself, the theme really tore me apart.  It seemed like a foreign film - not American at all.  Makes me realize how American films have really gone downhill over the years eh?  The photography, the "sets" (Germany in ruins) and story were so realistic - almost like a documentary.  What I imagine Rosselini's films were like, though I've never see any - just stills from them.   Don't think I can go back and watch the rest of "Match Point" just now..... will have to finish it tomorrow.  Need to think about "The Search" some more.  God!  Montgomery Clift was gorgeous eh?
Brokeback Got Me Good

jayiijay

« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2006, 01:04:10 PM »
SINNE:

I am ecstatic you loved The Search.  So did I, obviously.  How could anyone not?  Even then the Academy was screwing things up royally, leaving it off the Best Picture list (not to mention Max Ophuls' Letter from an Unknown Woman and the other great Monty Clift film that year, Red River).

I like your analogy to the post-war films of Rossellini (not to mention Luchino Visconti), it does seem like director Fred Zinnemann was going for that feeling, and succeeded.  My favorite Rosselini is Open City, and I also like Paisan.  I am not a big fan of the highly acclaimed Voyage to Italy, and unfortunately have yet to see The Rise of Louis XIV.  Also, check out La Terra Trema by Visconti, it is amazing.  So is his 1963 The Leopard, but very different.  I think all are available on netflix, which I am not sure is available in Canada, but there is definitely a netflix equivalent, I occasionally get junk mail from them even though I am not eligible to use them.  If you do a google search no doubt you'll find them.

thx

Offline sinne

• Expert
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2006, 03:16:44 PM »
SINNE:

I am ecstatic you loved The Search.  So did I, obviously.  How could anyone not?  Even then the Academy was screwing things up royally, leaving it off the Best Picture list (not to mention Max Ophuls' Letter from an Unknown Woman and the other great Monty Clift film that year, Red River).

I like your analogy to the post-war films of Rossellini (not to mention Luchino Visconti), it does seem like director Fred Zinnemann was going for that feeling, and succeeded.  My favorite Rosselini is Open City, and I also like Paisan.  I am not a big fan of the highly acclaimed Voyage to Italy, and unfortunately have yet to see The Rise of Louis XIV.  Also, check out La Terra Trema by Visconti, it is amazing.  So is his 1963 The Leopard, but very different.  I think all are available on netflix, which I am not sure is available in Canada, but there is definitely a netflix equivalent, I occasionally get junk mail from them even though I am not eligible to use them.  If you do a google search no doubt you'll find them.

thx

Oh yes - there's Netlflix or the equivalent in Canada.  I don't even want to start.  I am buying DVDs for my own collection and most of them are still in cellophane!  Too busy watching BBM or on this forum!  Perhaps I'll unhook my cable sometime and join, but I just started getting Turner Classics and I am loving it!  Keep the recommendations coming though - for future reference!  Thanks!
Brokeback Got Me Good

Offline sunspot

• Obsessed
  • Stay behind my aura!
    • The gun is good!
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2006, 12:05:47 AM »
Here's another vote for Citizen Ruth.  I saw it - must have been almost 10 years ago - during its initial run.  Haven't seen it since.  Remember a huge chunk of the film, and that seldom happens.  Think about the film often, probably once every month or two.  Highly recommended.  Laura Dern kicks all kinds of *ss!
"We are all hopelessly oppressed cowards
Of some duality
And restless multiplicity"
 - Joni Mitchell, "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter"

Offline dback

• Obsessed
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2006, 12:49:33 AM »
"Citizen Ruth" is FEARLESS, as is Laura Dern--her character is actually a serious pain in the butt, and very unlikable, but Dern plays her truthfully.  And the script pillories both sides of the issue.

I did, however, used to wonder at one point if Alexander Payne had some mysogeny going on towards women, as almost every one of his films has one who's either grotesque or on a destructive tear. (Dern and others in "Citizen Ruth," Reese Witherspoon and Matthew Broderick's wife and potential mistress in "Election," Kathy Bates and Hope Davis in "About Schmidt," and Sandra Oh in "Sideways"; Virginia Madsen played the warmest female character he's ever had.)
"No reins on this one."

Casper

« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2006, 12:02:42 PM »
"The Magdalene Sisters"  (2002)
Directed by Peter Mullan
Winner of Best Picture at the Venice Film Festival

This movie is based on a real institution that existed in Ireland and run by the Catholic Church.  Any girl who was viewed as "immoral" could be sent to one of the Magdalene laundries.  All it took was for a family member to visit a priest and arrangements would then be made to drag the girl to one of these rigid institutions.  The girls were humiliated and made to feel like scum of the earth and coerced to work 7 days a week in the laundries run by the strict Sisters.  Three of the girls decided that enough was enough and escaped to tell their horror stories to the Irish Government.  The Government listened and the Magdalene laundries were finally banished in 1996.

I like when a movie can move persons, especially a government, to change.  These Magdalene laundries were a disgrace and an embarrassment to the Catholic Church and the bravery of these 3 escapees led to their closure.

Offline Carissa

• Obsessed
  • Too young. too soon. too loved to be gone.
« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2006, 12:24:11 PM »
Add my vote for "Citizen Ruth". :)  I haven't seen it in a number of years but always remember how it portrayed the extremists of that debate.

"The Magdalene Sisters"  (2002)
Directed by Peter Mullan
Winner of Best Picture at the Venice Film Festival
That movie was very good but it so disturbed me that it went on until the mid-90s.  Nora-Jane Noone was exceptional. 

Interesting factoid, the director Peter Mullan is now starring in "On a Clear Day" as Frank, the chap who swims the English Channel. :D
Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
- Romeo and Juliet (Juliet at III, ii)