The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Overlooked Films--Great films (most of) the world missed  (Read 159198 times)

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
Re: Overlooked Films--Great films (most of) the world missed
« Reply #165 on: June 22, 2006, 09:37:15 AM »
Though I loved the performances in "In the Bedroom", especially Tom Wilkinson, and Marisa Tomei, I,  for some reason, really hated the story ending.  It just rubbed me the way- wrong way.  It sort of soured me on the whole story.  But, I'd bet I'm in the minority on this one.
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #166 on: June 22, 2006, 09:52:45 AM »
Though I loved the performances in "In the Bedroom", especially Tom Wilkinson, and Marisa Tomei, I,  for some reason, really hated the story ending.  It just rubbed me the way- wrong way.  It sort of soured me on the whole story.  But, I'd bet I'm in the minority on this one.

This is why I wanted to see it again. I don't want to give the ending away, but that is not what I would have done.  But he did and that is what he has to live with.  My husband didn't have a problem with it.  I only told him about it, he was actually away on a business trip when I saw it.  I am definitley going to rent it again, so we can see it together.  Movies with such good acting, are few and far between these days. I actually thought Sissy did a really good job as well.

FUNGURL

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
« Reply #167 on: June 22, 2006, 10:05:16 AM »
Lola, I had no quarrel with any of the performances.  Spacek is always good, no matter the role.  Let us know what you think after seeing it again.  I'm curious as to whether your feelings will change...
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #168 on: June 22, 2006, 10:15:41 AM »
Lola, I had no quarrel with any of the performances.  Spacek is always good, no matter the role.  Let us know what you think after seeing it again.  I'm curious as to whether your feelings will change...

I didn't like the end, so I don't think that will change, but I understood it.  The end will often ruin a movie for me.  I really liked Million Dollar Baby, except for the end.  Again I understood the ending, why it had to happen, but didn't mean I had to like it.  :'(

I look at most movies through the eyes of a Parent and as a Parent I would never say what I may or may not be  capable of!  >:( :o :)

FUNGURL

Desecra

« Reply #169 on: June 22, 2006, 10:26:48 AM »
I liked the ending [as much as I can remember - it's a while since I've seen it] because it was morally ambiguous I suppose.  It wasn't neat and easy with a clear message.  There was a lot to think about - including the absolute impossibility of recovering from something like that, whatever you do.  The ending made me uncomfortable, but I like to be challenged sometimes :).

Offline Carissa

• Obsessed
  • Too young. too soon. too loved to be gone.
« Reply #170 on: June 22, 2006, 05:50:35 PM »
One film that I believe deserved much more recognition is "The Deep End" starring Tilda Swinton as a wife and mother who is being blackmailed because of her son's involvement in a death.  She must come up with the cash, somehow, while continuing to do the ordinary things like taking her turn driving the kids to school.  Swinton is fantastic as a woman driven to the edge of despair as she tries desperately to protect her son.  Swinton was nominated for several acting awards, winning one, but the film only did about $8 million at the box office.
That was a great film.  :)

No, you're not. :)  I much preferred "The Deep End" to "In the Bedroom".
Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
- Romeo and Juliet (Juliet at III, ii)

Offline dback

• Obsessed
« Reply #171 on: June 27, 2006, 04:46:00 PM »
I love the scene with Swinton watching her son on video, and the moment where he REALLY starts to look like he's enjoying himself.  If I'm not crazy, wasn't Josh Lucas the slimeball in that?  (I don't have the IMDB open.)

Spacek is especially wonderful in "A Home At The End of the World."  When is the movie where she plays a transgendered person coming out?  (Is it "Southern Comfort?")  I also really like it when she does comedy, like in "Blast From the Past."
"No reins on this one."

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
« Reply #172 on: June 27, 2006, 05:42:51 PM »
Yes, dback, Josh Lucas was the slimeball in "The Deep End".  Spacek and the rest of the cast was loads of fun in "Blast from the Past", though I don't think the film could ever be called great, just thoroughly entertaining.

Offline johnk

• Expert
  • Jack, I swear...
« Reply #173 on: June 30, 2006, 11:21:40 PM »

Oh gosh, totally understand, it was disturbing, but I thought this was such a good film!.  I'm sure you've heard the rumours about Tomei's Oscar.  IMHO this film really deserved a little more attention but it came out too early in the year so...
"The truth is...sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
« Reply #174 on: July 01, 2006, 12:13:07 AM »
Johnk, I think those rumors about Tomei's Oscar are sadly misplaced.  She did an excellent job in a comedic role, the type of role that is often overlooked.  This does not, in any way, diminish the other nominees that year, and maybe she did not deserve the Oscar, but to say that she got it cause Jack Palance read her name by mistake is just wrong.  Her work in "In The Bedroom" proves her excellence as an actor, IMHO.

Offline dback

• Obsessed
« Reply #175 on: July 05, 2006, 04:07:02 PM »
Tomei has given acclaimed performances in the theater in things like Tony Kushner's "Slavs!" as well.  A lot of the bitterness towards her stems from the diva attitude she took on immediately after winning the Oscar (when she was doing things like "Only You" and "Untamed Heart")--she's freely admitted since then that she had let the win go to her head, and apologized for her behavior.  The nomination for "In the Bedroom" was largely seen as Hollywood accepting her apology/humility, and recognizing (again) her genuine talent.  (Shades of Vanessa Redgrave's nominations for "The Bostonians" and "Howard's End" years after she alienated a lot of people via her acceptance speech for "Julia" by referencing her documentary "The Palestinians" and "Zionist hoodlums.")

And you have to admit, some of her lines from "My Cousin Vinny" are now comedy classics:

"The two a yewts--what's a yewt?"

"Your honor, I would like to classify Miss Vito as a hostile witness" "You think I'm hostile now?  Wait till tonight."

"No reins on this one."

Offline johnk

• Expert
  • Jack, I swear...
« Reply #176 on: July 06, 2006, 10:16:57 PM »
Johnk, I think those rumors about Tomei's Oscar are sadly misplaced.  She did an excellent job in a comedic role, the type of role that is often overlooked.  This does not, in any way, diminish the other nominees that year, and maybe she did not deserve the Oscar, but to say that she got it cause Jack Palance read her name by mistake is just wrong.  Her work in "In The Bedroom" proves her excellence as an actor, IMHO.

I agree - AMPAS rarely acknowledges comedic performances.  In retrospect they were correct (I hate to say they were correct about anything!).  Tomei's win over Joan Plowright and Vanessa Redgrave was as startling as Judy Holiday's over Bette Davis and Gloria Swanson in 1950. 
"The truth is...sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline graylockV

• Obsessed
  • Klaatu barada nikto
« Reply #177 on: July 07, 2006, 12:48:25 PM »
It might not rank as a "great film," but seeing Stanley Tucci on TV promoting The Devil Wears Prada reminded me of how much I enjoyed the movie he made about ten years ago with Tony Shaloub, i.e., Big Night.

To me, it was just one of those small gems.  A movie with a lot of thoughtfulness about family ties, and about what is really important in life, but which didn't get too preachy.
Beulah, peel me a grape.

Casper

« Reply #178 on: July 07, 2006, 03:01:01 PM »
"Swimming With Sharks" starring Kevin Spacey and Frank Whaley

I like this film because who hasn't delighted in revengeful thoughts of tying up the boss you just can't stand to a chair and having him beg for mercy? This movie is a dark comedy and has an ending that justifies the underdog.

Incindentally, the haunting piano score will linger in your mind for days.

jayiijay

« Reply #179 on: July 07, 2006, 11:54:15 PM »

I agree - AMPAS rarely acknowledges comedic performances.  In retrospect they were correct (I hate to say they were correct about anything!).  Tomei's win over Joan Plowright and Vanessa Redgrave was as startling as Judy Holiday's over Bette Davis and Gloria Swanson in 1950. 

Hi JohnK.  I disagree.  Tomei was fun in Vinny, but the favorite and deserving winner should have been Judy Davis for her great brittle comic performance in Woody Allen's Husbands and Wives.  Miranda Richardson in Damage was considered the next closest competitor, partly because she was in other films that year as well, including Enchanted April with the sentimental possibility Joan Plowright.  Anyhow, Tomei was good but the role was not that difficult and the performance not that original.  Judy Davis' character in Husbands was then, and remain, unique.