The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Overlooked Films--Great films (most of) the world missed  (Read 159199 times)

jayiijay

Re: Overlooked Films--Great films (most of) the world missed
« Reply #195 on: July 28, 2006, 02:03:50 PM »
What really gets me is that bigot Ernest Borgnine won actor

But the rats sure got him good in "Willard."  ;D

LOL.  Never saw Willard, it just shot to the top of my list.  thx

Casper

« Reply #196 on: July 28, 2006, 02:23:27 PM »
The version of "Willard" that has Ernest Borgnine in it is the original made in 1971.

Offline quijote

• Expert
« Reply #197 on: July 29, 2006, 08:31:54 PM »
Brad1963,

I tell everyone I know who I think has any feeling whatsoever for movies to see Fearless.  It was unforgettable to me.

The idea that once you have accepted death fully, as happened during the crashing of the plane, that you would have difficulty living in the world after that was a brilliant one.  Most people I know saw the movie and went, "huh?"  It took my breath away.  Lovely.

Offline daannzzz

• Obsessed
« Reply #198 on: July 29, 2006, 09:17:23 PM »
"Fearless" is a movie that I forget about until someone mentions it. It is a stunning (stunning being used literaly here not just a mildy, desciptive term) film and not easy to watch. I am tearing up thinking of parts of it now. I suppose it is one of those movies I, subconciously, don't want to remember.

BRAD1963

« Reply #199 on: July 31, 2006, 02:44:35 PM »
Not many people went to see "Fearless". But when I mention it to those who did I get the same great reponse.  It touches everybody who sees it.

Offline dback

• Obsessed
« Reply #200 on: August 02, 2006, 11:58:10 AM »
I want to put in another plug for "Dominick and Eugene."  If you've never seen it, you're in for quite the emotional experience (have Kleenex handy).  A career-high for Tom Hulce and Ray Liotta, with charming support from Jamie Lee Curtis.
"No reins on this one."

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #201 on: August 02, 2006, 12:01:31 PM »
I want to put in another plug for "Dominick and Eugene."  If you've never seen it, you're in for quite the emotional experience (have Kleenex handy).  A career-high for Tom Hulce and Ray Liotta, with charming support from Jamie Lee Curtis.

I have never seen that.  I will be on the look out for it, I am a big Ray Liotta fan.

FUNGURL

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
« Reply #202 on: August 02, 2006, 02:56:47 PM »
Lola, if you like Ray Liotta (whom I have watched since he was Joey Perini on "Another World" about 30 years ago), then you will LOVE D&E.  A sweet, lovely story of brothers.
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #203 on: August 02, 2006, 04:01:12 PM »
Just love him, Goodfellas, Corrina Corrina, I have liked him in everything!  He was on ER (the TV show) a few seasons ago and was amazing.

I now have this one on my list, don't know how I missed it.

FUNGURL

Offline sinne

• Expert
« Reply #204 on: August 05, 2006, 10:01:19 PM »
I'm watching "Hearburn" with Meryl Streep and Jack Nicholson.  It's one of those films that gets better each time I watch it.  I saw it when it first came out and it didn't do a thing for me, but I've caught all or parts of it on TV over and over and just love it now.  It's just wonderful.  Some of the scenes - like in the hospital when the first baby is born - are absolute perfection.  If you haven't seen it - watch it!
Brokeback Got Me Good

Offline dback

• Obsessed
« Reply #205 on: August 07, 2006, 01:39:16 PM »
That was one of the first movies where I saw that Meryl Streep could really do comedy--during some of her fantasy sequences involving the TV talking to her, she's brilliantly funny.
"No reins on this one."

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #206 on: August 11, 2006, 07:39:36 PM »
Well I am going to add WATER in here.  I can't imagine how I missed this, haven't heard anyone I know speak of it.  And can't imagine how it got passed over at the Oscars.

FUNGURL

jayiijay

« Reply #207 on: August 13, 2006, 06:02:50 PM »
Well I am going to add WATER in here.  I can't imagine how I missed this, haven't heard anyone I know speak of it.  And can't imagine how it got passed over at the Oscars.

Gee, that's odd, moderator Mary and I discussed Water on July 23rd, and you recently responded to her. 

Water is a great film, also recommend Deepa Mehta's other films in her trilogy Fire and Earth.  It was eligible for last year's Oscars, the Academy deprived it of a nomination, even though it was far superior to mediocre winner Tsotsi.  It won 3 Canadian Genies including Best Actress Seema Biswas, while Lisa Ray won Best Canadian Actress at the Vancouver Film Critics, along with Best Canadian Director Deepa Mehta.  It deserved Best Picture at both.  Considering how well it has done in its primary country of release and is just being discovered in the States (held over in NYC), I don't think it really belongs in the overlooked category quite yet, but it is deserving of positive word-of-mouth about it everywhere.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 11:34:36 PM by jayiijay »

Offline afhickman

• Experienced
« Reply #208 on: August 24, 2006, 09:04:55 PM »
There are some great films here!  I am especially pleased to see "Ossessione" and "Apartment Zero" mentioned.  My candidate for a great unknown film is "The Leather Boys," with Rita Tushingham, Colin Campbell, and the great Dudley Sutton.  It's a black-and-white masterpiece of the kitchen sink school of British filmmaking, although it was directed (in 1963) by a Canadian director, Sidney J. Furie, who is perhaps better known for his action films, like "Iron Eagle" and a host of sequels.  It's a flawless evocation of that period in England just before the Beatles hit it big and London began to swing.  Campbell plays a working class lad who marries Tushingham; however, they are both much too immature to handle marriage, and Campbell finds he relates better to his motorcylce buddy, Sutton, whom he ends up sharing a bed with at his grandmother's after he and Tushingham separate.  The problem is, the Sutton character wants more from the friendship.  It's a classic study in sexual ambivalence, and audiences are still debating what Furie means by the ending.  It's based on the novel by Gillian Freeman, who also wrote "That Cold Day in the Park" (another neglected masterwork, directed by Robert Altman in 1969) and who worked on "Girl on a Motorcycle" (the camp classic with Marianne Faithfull).
The mountain has wings.

Offline sinne

• Expert
« Reply #209 on: August 27, 2006, 06:21:26 PM »
There are some great films here!  I am especially pleased to see "Ossessione" and "Apartment Zero" mentioned.  My candidate for a great unknown film is "The Leather Boys," with Rita Tushingham, Colin Campbell, and the great Dudley Sutton.  It's a black-and-white masterpiece of the kitchen sink school of British filmmaking, although it was directed (in 1963) by a Canadian director, Sidney J. Furie, who is perhaps better known for his action films, like "Iron Eagle" and a host of sequels.  It's a flawless evocation of that period in England just before the Beatles hit it big and London began to swing.  Campbell plays a working class lad who marries Tushingham; however, they are both much too immature to handle marriage, and Campbell finds he relates better to his motorcylce buddy, Sutton, whom he ends up sharing a bed with at his grandmother's after he and Tushingham separate.  The problem is, the Sutton character wants more from the friendship.  It's a classic study in sexual ambivalence, and audiences are still debating what Furie means by the ending.  It's based on the novel by Gillian Freeman, who also wrote "That Cold Day in the Park" (another neglected masterwork, directed by Robert Altman in 1969) and who worked on "Girl on a Motorcycle" (the camp classic with Marianne Faithfull).

Thanks!  "The Leather Boys" sounds really good. Another film I love, that depicts the same era, but was shot later, and which I've recommended on other threads, is "Prick Up Your Ears" about playwright Joe Orton, played by Gary Oldman.  One of my favourite films.  Everyone in it is really good - especially Gary Oldman and Vanessa Redgrave.  I saw "That Cold Day in the Park" years ago and enjoyed it. Speaking of Sandy Dennis, I saw a good film years ago with her in it called, "The Fox" based on the D.H. Lawrence novella.   
Brokeback Got Me Good