The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Reactions to Brokeback by friends, family & audiences  (Read 334474 times)

Offline WLAGuy

• Obsessed
Re: Audience, Friends and Family Reactions to the Movie
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2006, 10:22:58 AM »
Interesting article. I happen to live in Wyoming,and can confirm that there are only 2 theaters showing BBM, in Jackson and Laramie. Hard to believe but true.

I think it's a shame people in Wyoming are taking the story so literally as if it meant that every man is gay. They are not able to see that it is the story of 2 people, a tragic love story, and one of a kind. They feel offended because Wyoming is such a macho state! I know what I'm talking about, it's full of "rough-necks" and that's not always pretty. They are not usually very educated people, they are very territorial, judgmental, and intolerant of anything they don't understand, thus BBM. If you put all this aside, they can also be great generous people, welcoming and hard-working, but that doesn't help us here. So they feel attacked in their maleness, and can't get over it. It's a shame but their reaction is to be expected. They just can't accept the fact that Wyoming, this harsh cowboy state could be home to some gay cowboys. No wonder they feel offended. I say open your eyes, and your heart, see further than your county boundary and know that this tragic story is not total fiction, and that there are people who suffer, who die (M. Shepherd) because of your narrow-mindedness.

I think a large part of the problem is the reporters, who I'm sure start out the conversation with, "So, what do you think about that gay cowboy movie?"  There's a way to phrase questions so you immediately push the listener's buttons, and there's a way to make sure that doesn't happen.  It's much the same as the "leading question" concept in a trial.  The best reporters don't do that, of course, but some boob who's told by his editor "Go out and get a juicy quote from a real Wyoming cowboy" is going to do his best to do just that.  After all, how "juicy" would it be for one of the cowboys being interviewed to calmly say, "I'm going to reserve judgment until I see the movie"?

Offline DGB

• Feet Wet
  • "It could be like this...."
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2006, 10:23:53 AM »
How sad for these people.  Offended by love.  And the thought that sheep and cows are still an issue is offensive to me as a human being.  For God's sake get an education.
"I don't know how to quit you..."  and I hope I never do.

Offline Ella

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2006, 10:27:50 AM »
How sad for these people.  Offended by love.  And the thought that sheep and cows are still an issue is offensive to me as a human being.  For God's sake get an education.

You are so right, it's amazing what education and traveling can do for someone. But here we are, cows vs. sheep, and believe me, it's quite a war in Wyoming, sheep herders are not liked. That does reflect the rest of the mentality...

Offline Hmmmm

• Feet Wet
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2006, 10:37:47 AM »
You are so right, it's amazing what education and traveling can do for someone. But here we are, cows vs. sheep, and believe me, it's quite a war in Wyoming, sheep herders are not liked. That does reflect the rest of the mentality...

None of the people quoted had seen the movie so they don't really know the characters.   As I understand it though there is no question that one who participates in rodeo is considered a cowboy no matter what their day job is.  Heck the name of the professional association is Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association.

BTW I do think we should be careful and be aware that although there are people in Montana that match the depictions in the article there are others that do not.  The depictions may even match a high percentage of the rural population.  Even so it is an error to assume all in the state see things that way.  The same goes for thinking all of Utah thinks the same way.  Likewise a  sizable percentage of red state folks are "blue" and a sizable percentage of blue state folks are "red".

In this day of internet, satellite TV with 200 channels there are many different opinions in any local.  Yes there are clusters but no place is monolithic.  So we need to be careful about stereotyping.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 10:55:25 AM by Hmmmm »
Prejudice is not a family value.

Offline BillN

• Expert
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2006, 11:14:24 AM »

None of the people quoted had seen the movie so they don't really know the characters.   As I understand it though there is no question that one who participates in rodeo is considered a cowboy no matter what their day job is.  Heck the name of the professional association is Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association.

BTW I do think we should be careful and be aware that although there are people in Montana that match the depictions in the article there are others that do not.  The depictions may even match a high percentage of the rural population.  Even so it is an error to assume all in the state see things that way.  The same goes for thinking all of Utah thinks the same way.  Likewise a  sizable percentage of red state folks are "blue" and a sizable percentage of blue state folks are "red".

In this day of internet, satellite TV with 200 channels there are many different opinions in any local.  Yes there are clusters but no place is monolithic.  So we need to be careful about stereotyping.

Hmmm, you are right on the fact that even in the "red" states, there are plenty of "blue" people and vice versa. The red vs blue is an invention of pundints who want to put things into black and white terms, when the real world is all shades of grey in between. Bush got plenty of votes in CA and Kerry in TX, and I wouldn't judge everyone in a state the same way.

Offline DGB

• Feet Wet
  • "It could be like this...."
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2006, 11:26:50 AM »
Hmmmm,

I grew up in rural cow country in the Sierra Foothills of California in the 50s & 60s., I know there are lots of diverse people.  But the strong influence of the old ways and the "right" thinking is strong in rural areas. If you don't fit in you won't survive. They will shun you and drive you out or worse.  It really hasn't changed that much.  You have to have money to have internet and satellite tv, etc.  These people don't.  Just like Ennis who's travels amounted to"a trip around the coffee pot to find the handle".  These people often can"t afford to go any where ever.  We can only hope that something like BBM will reach some and the changes will come. Even if slowly
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 11:29:05 AM by DGB »
"I don't know how to quit you..."  and I hope I never do.

Offline Ella

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2006, 04:35:15 PM »
Yes, but it will take time, how knows how long? And I think this cowboy thing really has to do with a rural area. YOu probably would fing the same reaction in any rural place IN THE WORLD. I am foreign and I can guarantee you that there are many countrymen in my home country who would react the same. I wonder if it has to do with lack of education or exposure to the world.
Here in Wyoming, my hb works with a whole crew of guys that are "red necks". I've met a number of them, yikes... I know not the whole state is like them,  but they are the majority, sorry to tell you this, and they don't have an ounce of softness in them. My hb is not like them, but fits fine because he keeps to himself. That exactly illustrates the survival concept. He doesn't even want to ask them if any have seen BBM, it could really make it hell for him. Sad, isn't it?
So all I see is a general reaction from people who feel threatened, for a number of reasons, and that is simply universal. Only this movie happens to be in Wyoming, and its name inspired from a real place, so the very conservative people of Wyoming react in a very predictable way.

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2006, 06:25:49 PM »
may i suggest a ray of sunshine in this bleak landscape of intolerance and ignorance?

as we know all to well, even ignorant and intolerant people with low incomes who work hard have gay children who are also ignorant, hard working and likely homophobic as hell themselves.  HOWEVER, you can bet that every one of those gay kids will find a way to buy rent or steal a copy of this flick, and they will cry, and cry.  i hope they find us, but they will never be the same.. and maybe, they will use this to break the news.

it is our love letter to extremely rural gays.

jack
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline Ella

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2006, 06:30:11 PM »
Good point, Jack. I hadn't thought of it this way, but you are right. Some of these people who are so intolerant might actually one day even decide to see BBM and change their mind. Fact is, things are changing, awareness is growing amongst all of us, and there is hope for a more tolerant society.

lynn

« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2006, 08:11:40 PM »
Now here's some good news: a report from a Savannah, Georgia TV station on positive reaction by filmgoers. The fact that this was considered worthy of a TV news story reflects the conservative nature of this "Deep South" city.

http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4351404

Offline BillN

• Expert
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2006, 10:39:46 PM »
Now here's some good news: a report from a Savannah, Georgia TV station on positive reaction by filmgoers. The fact that this was considered worthy of a TV news story reflects the conservative nature of this "Deep South" city.

http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4351404

Lynn, Savannah may not be typical of a smaller city in the deep south, many people have moved there as part of the restoration of the historic part of town. It was also the setting for the popular book, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, which had a gay theme as part of the story. What is very surprising is that only a handful of people were in the theartre for the other movies, while BBM had 29.

lynn

« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2006, 04:51:05 AM »
Hmm, thanks for the correction Bill. I'm afraid that was my inner Yankee talking.   :D

Offline Luckie Starchild

• Obsessed
« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2006, 04:07:45 PM »
Hello, this is my first post on this site, and I have a lot to say!
One reaction I wanted to share with you all is about a friend of mine who is the highly emotional kind, cries at just about any movie, or anything in life. She said that she didn't shed a tear at BBM, that the movie did nothing to her as Jack and Ennis failed to convince her of their love, since they were never very loving towards each other. The only thing that stirred her were the sex scene and the kissing scene, and that was it. I was shocked, specially coming from her. She said she didn't know why aside than that she didn't feel anything. She is not homophobic in any way I know.
Have any of you hear people speak like this?
This friend of mine had a similar reaction.  BBM did not move her in the least.  She cried during Braveheart and Lord of the Rings... but BBM was not compelling to her and was not believable. 

Okay, here's my new policy... I am going to hold a grudge against anyone who does not love BBM.  I know I'm crazy but that's the way it's gonna be and no one can stop me, sorry!  :P

Offline Hmmmm

• Feet Wet
« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2006, 10:44:05 AM »
Here is a link to an article on positive reaction in Grand Rapids Michigan.  The article in the paper claims that this is generally considered a conservative part of Michigan.

Brokeback Breaks Norms - Grand Rapids Press
http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grpress/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-1/113716711750370.xml&coll=6

A quote from the article:

"Thousands of Grand Rapids movie-goers flocked to the local opening of "Brokeback Mountain" last weekend, perhaps defying the "conservative Western Michigan" stereotype."

Prejudice is not a family value.

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2006, 10:52:55 AM »
here's an even more astounding quote from that article:

The controversial film, about two star-crossed cowboys in love that has garnered numerous award nominations and is an expected Oscar contender, was the No. 1 film in Grand Rapids, trumping such steady hits as "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" and "King Kong."

whooo eee

jack
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."