The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Reactions to Brokeback by friends, family & audiences  (Read 612480 times)

Offline Luckie Starchild

• Obsessed
Re: Audience, Friends and Family Reactions to the Movie
« Reply #420 on: February 01, 2006, 03:13:44 PM »
I agree with everything I'm hearing. I haven't known T-J for long but it's becoming more and more clear what a close-minded jerk he can be. Straight people do not have the monopoly :-\

He sounds really annoying... I think it's time to kick him to the curb!  :)

Offline aevkc

• Obsessed
  • Alright, sassafras....
« Reply #421 on: February 01, 2006, 03:24:13 PM »
Tobysgirl, maybe it's just my wishful thinking, but I think the with every generation it gets a little better.  I'm 35 and some of the straight guys I know, like my husband, loved BBM and some won't go see it.  But my 16year old cousin, who is female, has seen it twice and almost all of the straight guys in her high school class have seen it and it's not a big deal, they all loved it and there's no shame in admitting they saw it and loved it.  Perhaps I'm looking through rose colored glasses, but I have to believe we are evolving.
Common response to Lost: UGH! I SHAKE MY FIST AT YOU, LOST! (But then I come back for a hug, because who am I kidding?)--Therese O'Dell

"True love is friendship set on fire."--French proverb

"If you're not yelling at your kids, you're not spending enough time with them."--Reese Witherspoon

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #422 on: February 01, 2006, 03:38:36 PM »
sheesh. that sounds just like the Pat Robertson/Jerry Fallwell reactionaries who classify and pre-judge things without knowledge of actual content. if they know one thing about it, they think they know all about it.

Hey Lance, thanks...this is my new quotable quote
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline WLAGuy

• Obsessed
« Reply #423 on: February 01, 2006, 04:39:04 PM »
Hi Everybody!
I got to see the movie in Milan(yes...Italy)with my best friend...
Well I read the novel and already saw some parts of the movie around the internet just to get a general idea,as I usually do.

Since I'm a movie fanatic I always want everything to be perfect,so when I realized that some people were not even able to pronounce the title properly while requesting their tickets I started to get nervous....and thought that someone would eventually screw up my viewing....yes...I'm that fanatic...
Anyway..things went even worse while waiting for the movie to start... everybody was kind of over-exited, they talked too much, laughed out loud and things like that due to (in my opinion) a certain nervous energy....
At a certain point a Lady ,I think she was like 70y-o. shouted "right young boys,time to shut up,we have a movie to see..."...so everybody laughed and clapped hands at her!
Well done!

At this point,when the music started announcing the beginning of the movie,I had to (happily) eat my own words about doubting so much about the audience and taking them reactions for granted.
The theater was completely full and silent and everybody was staring at the screen,not even a sight till the scene when Mr Aguirre saw them with his binocular....at this point half people were so into the movie that they kept saying "noooo,don't look at them" or "oh shit,it happened,they got caught"...some laughter here and there, but it wasn't meant to be a mockery....you know what I mean...

Talking about the audience,I have to admit that It was the best one I have ever seen....in my quite short story of movies fanaticism...
It was so different from any ordinary movie,there were some gay both male and female couples,but mostly straight people in their 30s,I think my friend and I were among the youngest,we're both 25.
The thing that impressed me most was a group of aged people (70-78 years old)who seemed really touched by the movie and it was so cute to see how modern and open-minded some older people can be, some of us have still a lot to learn from them.

High points in terms of audience reaction:
-Aguirre scene
-Alma saw them kissing(here the audience, myself included, laughed nervously and I think everybody knows why,it has already been discussed here)
-Ennis' expression when he has to calm down his little daughters who kept crying like crazy was terrific,everybody was smiling cos you notice even more what he had left behind in BBM.
-Everything concerning that silly Jack Twist....
-Twist reaction with his Father- in -Law

Nobody was crying aloud at the end but there was an overwhelming feeling in the entire theatre,you know,remorse,sadness,pity.
Yes it's just a movie and we shouldn't overreact in silly ways but , like any other kind of movie, be it a masterpiece like this or an anime (just to name a category)if you read between the lines,you can learn extremely important lessons.
Sure that homosexuality is a center point in this movie but its deepest meanings are so universal that apply to anybody.

Oh well....and now the part I enjoy more...the critics...

I'm so so so disappointed about the italian version...God they did some lame changes...
1)They clean up all the dialogs...so forget..."sonofabitch" "fuck" and so on....."jack FUCKING twist" has turned into"Oooh I thought you'd never come" .....please....all the genuine expressions were changed,like Jack's "Yeeeehaaa"was turned into"Ohhh Ennis you're great"...ewww...there are many others but i can't remember all...
2)Ennis was far too poetic and polite....he seemed some guy from Beautiful.....(this was the worst).....They kind of adapted the movie for an Italian audience,but it wasn't really necessary...
3)Twist was a macho,the actor's real voice is closer to a young man,I mean pretty boyish....
4)They totally screwed up the whole "I wish i knew how to quit you" scene.....That was Ridge from Beautiful again....not some messed up sheep guardian with little education.....
5)You couldn't here the soundtrack....maybe it was the theater I dunno..but I could barely hear it....not the main theme but all the other songs.
6)ah yes even "I swear" was performed by Ridge....it wasn't natural like in english...and I say this, since Italians always do a wonderful job when it comes to double movies....So it was strange...

Well I doubt a lot of people saw the English version so without comparisons the movie was well received,so well that at the end everybody clapped hands for 30 seconds...

BTW this is an excellent forum,I'll keep reading your stories,I'm very impressed.

PS:Sorry for the mistakes and for not expressing with the right words what I really want to say but I'm so tired....and so Italian....

What a great report, Clara!  Thanks for posting it.  And your English is just fine (better than some Americans I know).  I had to laugh when you talked about them changing "Jack FUCKING Twist" into"Oooh I thought you'd never come."   :D

RolandC

« Reply #424 on: February 01, 2006, 06:01:42 PM »
I had to laugh when you talked about them changing "Jack FUCKING Twist" into"Oooh I thought you'd never come."   :D

Me too - somehow "Ooooh I thought you'd never come" has a smuttier undertone, doesn't it? ;)

Offline WLAGuy

• Obsessed
« Reply #425 on: February 01, 2006, 06:05:52 PM »

Me too - somehow "Ooooh I thought you'd never come" has a smuttier undertone, doesn't it? ;)

Yeah.  Right line, wrong scene.   :D

Offline trinket

• Mrs. Robinson
  • Obsessed
  • That ain't the point!
« Reply #426 on: February 01, 2006, 06:25:07 PM »

PS:Sorry for the mistakes and for not expressing with the right words what I really want to say but I'm so tired....and so Italian....

Oh my gosh, I so enjoyed your message!!!!!!!!  So interesting to read what is happening around the world like this....I am in USA...state of OHIO.  Is this a great world or what???
Keep posting clara!
JAKE on his roll as 'Dastan' in 'The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time' ~ "The appeal of playing this part for me was feeling that eight-year-old side of myself. . . . . .This was really an opportunity to go to that side of myself which I felt was a little tired of taking myself so seriously."

Offline trinket

• Mrs. Robinson
  • Obsessed
  • That ain't the point!
« Reply #427 on: February 01, 2006, 06:31:51 PM »
So I am thinking I should print up some shirts....mail them out to all you who live in different places.
We can sell them at the EXIT of movie theaters.
The shirts can say......'I watched Brokeback Mountain.....and SURVIVED!'
Here are some more ideas for our family and friends for shirts:
'Brokeback Mountain..experience it for yourself.'

Anyone want to add some shirt ideas?
Maybe I need to put this on a different thread.  I thought about reading THIS ONE though because of our family and friends reactions.
JAKE on his roll as 'Dastan' in 'The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time' ~ "The appeal of playing this part for me was feeling that eight-year-old side of myself. . . . . .This was really an opportunity to go to that side of myself which I felt was a little tired of taking myself so seriously."

Offline Dal

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
  • Skim milk masquerades as cream
« Reply #428 on: February 01, 2006, 07:33:46 PM »
Tobysgirl, maybe it's just my wishful thinking, but I think the with every generation it gets a little better.  I'm 35 and some of the straight guys I know, like my husband, loved BBM and some won't go see it.  But my 16year old cousin, who is female, has seen it twice and almost all of the straight guys in her high school class have seen it and it's not a big deal, they all loved it and there's no shame in admitting they saw it and loved it.  Perhaps I'm looking through rose colored glasses, but I have to believe we are evolving.

That's amazing.  That might be true of a limited number of school in my area, but not, I believe, in working- or lower-class neighborhoods.  Might I ask, what is the "demographic" of your cousin's school?

Dal
Mommy, can I be on the kill list when I gwow up?
Of course honey, any American can -- thanks to President Obama!!

Offline Uclapeterg

• Obsessed
« Reply #429 on: February 01, 2006, 07:34:05 PM »

Yeah.  Right line, wrong scene.   :D

Yea, that should be said when they're at the motel.  ;)

Offline aevkc

• Obsessed
  • Alright, sassafras....
« Reply #430 on: February 01, 2006, 07:44:26 PM »
Dal, she goes to a private high school in Providence, Rhode Island.  So maybe she does live in a different environment from the majority of the world.  I don't know.  But I have to think positively about the world my two small children are going to grow up in or it just makes me too sad.  I was raised in a super-liberal family and so I know that skews my world view, but I still cannot believe how ignorant and just plain mean so many people my age and older are.  So I'm hoping it will only get better for each new generation.  Otherwise, what's the point?  What are we here for if not to learn?
Common response to Lost: UGH! I SHAKE MY FIST AT YOU, LOST! (But then I come back for a hug, because who am I kidding?)--Therese O'Dell

"True love is friendship set on fire."--French proverb

"If you're not yelling at your kids, you're not spending enough time with them."--Reese Witherspoon

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
« Reply #431 on: February 01, 2006, 09:30:27 PM »
 we would project ourselves into that small and lonely trailer, hold Ennis tightly and assure him over and over that he is not alone, that he is loved.
I'm so glad that I 'got it'. :)
RolandC, I, too, wanted to hold Ennis and assure him.  Thank you for "getting it".
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
« Reply #432 on: February 01, 2006, 09:35:50 PM »
Miss Shoes, welcome aboard.  Also, don't feel bad that she didn't "get" it.  I think people like us are more in tune with the issues and how they can affect our lives, even indirectly.  I don't expect everyone I talk to at work to understand BBM.  I compare it to my Lord of the Rings obsession a couple of years back when the trilogy was in full swing.  I'm not sure if that's a good comparison but Rings brought my love of movies back that I haven't had since the Return of the Jedi back in 1983.  Now BBM has brought my appreciation of film making and that a movie doesn't need spectacular cgi effects to win an audience over.
Terry, you too, LOTR?  I watched FOTR 11 times in the theater, TT 12, and ROTK 13 times. My friends thought I was really nuts about that.  But it wasn't the special effects, it was the honest emotion and love among the characters. Something that my friends didn't get then either.  Thank you for understanding.  I thought then that LOTR would be my favorite film(s) ever... til Brokeback.  There is no comparison, is there?
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad

Offline Pug

• Jack n Ennis 4 Ever
  • Obsessed
« Reply #433 on: February 01, 2006, 09:41:49 PM »
A wee but OT but I read at the IMDB that the sheep had to be increased with CGI to increase their numbers and the sky had to be modified.

This film does not let go of me. I am always thinking about it. I believe this film will maintain this tidal wave of emotional response for many years to come.
To err is human, to forgive is canine

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
« Reply #434 on: February 01, 2006, 09:46:41 PM »
suggestion:  tell your "friend" like i told my "friend" that you are not hurting anyone and enjoying yourself.  after all, wasn't that the theme of the movie---live your own life for yourself.
Thank you, karind1 for the reminder.  I do need to live my life for myself.  People who do not understand are the poorer for it.
I'd like to take the opportunity to say thank you to you for your terrific performance in "Imitation of Life".  I love that film, always have.  Your "Sarah Jane" as a child was heartbreaking to me as a child.  I grew up in a blue collar home in Seattle in the 50's.  We weren't supposed to identify with children such as Sarah Jane.  I didn't even know an African-American person til I joined the Air Force.  But every time I watched that movie, my heart broke for your character, as portrayed by you and Susan Kohner (as the grown-up Sarah Jane).  Bless you for providing the world with such an indelible portrait of a suffering child.