The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Reactions to Brokeback by friends, family & audiences  (Read 612469 times)

Offline Tony

• Experienced
Re: Audience, Friends and Family Reactions to the Movie
« Reply #435 on: February 01, 2006, 09:46:42 PM »
BTW this is an excellent forum,I'll keep reading your stories,I'm very impressed.

PS:Sorry for the mistakes and for not expressing with the right words what I really want to say but I'm so tired....and so Italian....
I was very impressed by your complete recap!

Offline brokebackLJ

• Expert
  • never give up on the good times
« Reply #436 on: February 01, 2006, 10:05:10 PM »
Dal, she goes to a private high school in Providence, Rhode Island.  So maybe she does live in a different environment from the majority of the world.  I don't know.  But I have to think positively about the world my two small children are going to grow up in or it just makes me too sad.  I was raised in a super-liberal family and so I know that skews my world view, but I still cannot believe how ignorant and just plain mean so many people my age and older are.  So I'm hoping it will only get better for each new generation.  Otherwise, what's the point?  What are we here for if not to learn?

I'm originally from Rhode Island. Which school? Lasalle?

Offline BillN

• Expert
« Reply #437 on: February 01, 2006, 10:08:48 PM »
BTW this is an excellent forum,I'll keep reading your stories,I'm very impressed.

PS:Sorry for the mistakes and for not expressing with the right words what I really want to say but I'm so tired....and so Italian....
I was very impressed by your complete recap!

Clara, welcome and I enjoyed your post. We seem to be getting more people from your area of the world as the movie opens up in new places and it is great to hear the favorable reactions. You might find us to be a little over the top in loving BBM, but you will be among friends while here.

Offline Carissa

• Obsessed
  • Too young. too soon. too loved to be gone.
« Reply #438 on: February 01, 2006, 10:47:17 PM »
Terry, you too, LOTR?  I watched FOTR 11 times in the theater, TT 12, and ROTK 13 times. My friends thought I was really nuts about that.  But it wasn't the special effects, it was the honest emotion and love among the characters. Something that my friends didn't get then either.  Thank you for understanding.  I thought then that LOTR would be my favorite film(s) ever... til Brokeback.  There is no comparison, is there?
Count me in too! ;)  Excellent description of the true LOTR, love, loyalty and friendship.
Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
- Romeo and Juliet (Juliet at III, ii)

Offline mynamesclara

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #439 on: February 02, 2006, 07:42:07 AM »

Me too - somehow "Ooooh I thought you'd never come" has a smuttier undertone, doesn't it? ;)

Yeah.  Right line, wrong scene.   :D

Oh man....I didn't even think about the "other" meaning of that sentence... 8)..but I swear he said that! :D

Anyway... Thanks everybody for the kind words! I really appreciated it!

Btw:I have some friends (both straight and gay) who told me the movie sucked(but really bad)...Is it possible?!Can someone help them or something?hehehe....
Seriously I know they're smart guys and not stupid at all....but is it possible to really laught at a movie like this?and dislike it so much?I don't get it...
I'm jealous of my own tastes in general,but since I suggested them to go and see it I felt irritated and a bit hurt...

Offline aevkc

• Obsessed
  • Alright, sassafras....
« Reply #440 on: February 02, 2006, 08:08:14 AM »
Brokeback LJ, she goes to Moses Brown. 
Common response to Lost: UGH! I SHAKE MY FIST AT YOU, LOST! (But then I come back for a hug, because who am I kidding?)--Therese O'Dell

"True love is friendship set on fire."--French proverb

"If you're not yelling at your kids, you're not spending enough time with them."--Reese Witherspoon

Offline graylockV

• Obsessed
  • Klaatu barada nikto
« Reply #441 on: February 02, 2006, 08:23:19 AM »

Me too - somehow "Ooooh I thought you'd never come" has a smuttier undertone, doesn't it? ;)

Yeah.  Right line, wrong scene.   :D

Oh man....I didn't even think about the "other" meaning of that sentence... 8)..but I swear he said that! :D

Anyway... Thanks everybody for the kind words! I really appreciated it!

Btw:I have some friends (both straight and gay) who told me the movie sucked(but really bad)...Is it possible?!Can someone help them or something?hehehe....
Seriously I know they're smart guys and not stupid at all....but is it possible to really laught at a movie like this?and dislike it so much?I don't get it...
I'm jealous of my own tastes in general,but since I suggested them to go and see it I felt irritated and a bit hurt...

Hello Clara.

Many people do not like films that are too real.  They prefer fantasy films - escapism.  There is nothing wrong with that per se.  Brokeback Mountain requires the audience to FEEL something for the characters and their situation.  It is difficult for some people to identify with loss and tragedy, especially, but not necessarily, because the characters in Brokeback are in a same-sex relationship.  Finally, because it is essentially a film with a simple plot and a tremendous amount of character focus, BBM tells its story at a slow pace.  In the first 30 minutes we are watching two men falling in love.  The story requires that their relationship develop in a realistic way, so the pace is slow.  Some viewers want things to happen too fast.

The producer (Diana Ossana) and director (Ang Lee) have both stated in interviews that BBM is not a movie that everyone will appreciate.

So I would not be too upset with those people who just don't "get it."

Thank you for your wonderful post about reaction in Italy.
Beulah, peel me a grape.

Offline mynamesclara

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #442 on: February 02, 2006, 11:03:16 AM »
Thank you very much!

Yes you get the point,I second everything you've said.
I'm not really upset with them, it just came as a surprise because they're people who has no issues at all with homosexuality being (some of them)gay themselves,or very open minded guys, it's just that they focused only on the technical aspect of the movie....it was too slow,I didn't like the actor, dialogs were stupid,their make-up and so on...and didn't even mention the inner meanings, but this is just a way to get to know better the people you hung out with.

When my mum talks about the movie(she's 60),and she laughs a bit nervously and says ...ah the movie of those "good-looking" guys, well I can understand that and there are no problems.
But when this silly humor comes from young,smart people it makes me wonder.... not cos they didn't like the movie, which I couldn't care less,but because they avoided a more serious dialog that a movie like this can offer...

So  I also realize how difficult it must be for those who REALLY suffer because they have to deal with parents,friends,or relatives who are completely unprepared to deal with their personal choices which are not necessarily related to their sexuality.

Luckily I just have to deal with some friends with awful tastes.....(joking)...
 ;)

Offline clarabell

• Expert
« Reply #443 on: February 02, 2006, 11:09:03 AM »
Mynamesclara,

I am interested if people who initially didn't like the movie, later on change their minds or find that they continue to think about it over time.  How the movie slowly unfolds in my head has been key.  Has anyone heard that people change their minds as they continue to think about BBM?
Clarabell ???
"Because, wherever your heart is, that is where you'll find your treasure." Paulo Coelho from The Alchemist

Offline Luckie Starchild

• Obsessed
« Reply #444 on: February 02, 2006, 11:18:48 AM »
Brokeback LJ, she goes to Moses Brown. 

Moses Brown is Quaker so it makes sense to me that they would tend to be open-minded.  (I'm from Providence too.)

Offline Luckie Starchild

• Obsessed
« Reply #445 on: February 02, 2006, 11:25:34 AM »
I'd like to take the opportunity to say thank you to you for your terrific performance in "Imitation of Life".  I love that film, always have.  Your "Sarah Jane" as a child was heartbreaking to me as a child.  I grew up in a blue collar home in Seattle in the 50's.  We weren't supposed to identify with children such as Sarah Jane.  I didn't even know an African-American person til I joined the Air Force.  But every time I watched that movie, my heart broke for your character, as portrayed by you and Susan Kohner (as the grown-up Sarah Jane).  Bless you for providing the world with such an indelible portrait of a suffering child.

The person who played Sarah Jane as a child in "Imitation of Life" is here?  :o  OMG, I love that movie... it's probably my second favorite film (after BBM)!!!

Offline mynamesclara

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #446 on: February 02, 2006, 12:11:37 PM »
Mynamesclara,

I am interested if people who initially didn't like the movie, later on change their minds or find that they continue to think about it over time.  How the movie slowly unfolds in my head has been key.  Has anyone heard that people change their minds as they continue to think about BBM?
Clarabell ???

Oh well not the ones I know....they still call it "pathetic"....but...at a certain point,who cares!We don't have to convince anybody...
 ;)

Offline Pug

• Jack n Ennis 4 Ever
  • Obsessed
« Reply #447 on: February 02, 2006, 06:23:41 PM »
The person who played Sarah Jane as a child in "Imitation of Life" is here?    OMG, I love that movie... it's probably my second favorite film (after BBM)!!!

I definitely love the Douglas Sirk re-make of "Imitation of Life." great film...I have the DVD. This is another highly emotionally charged film that at the time took a very strong stand bringing prejudice into the forfront. It is a wonderful movie with spellbinding performances.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 08:41:30 PM by Pug »
To err is human, to forgive is canine

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
« Reply #448 on: February 02, 2006, 06:28:07 PM »
I'd like to take the opportunity to say thank you to you for your terrific performance in "Imitation of Life".  I love that film, always have.  Your "Sarah Jane" as a child was heartbreaking to me as a child.  I grew up in a blue collar home in Seattle in the 50's.  We weren't supposed to identify with children such as Sarah Jane.  I didn't even know an African-American person til I joined the Air Force.  But every time I watched that movie, my heart broke for your character, as portrayed by you and Susan Kohner (as the grown-up Sarah Jane).  Bless you for providing the world with such an indelible portrait of a suffering child.

The person who played Sarah Jane as a child in "Imitation of Life" is here?  :o  OMG, I love that movie... it's probably my second favorite film (after BBM)!!!
She posts as karind1.
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline Kealiikoa

• Getting Acquainted
  • Keep smilin'
« Reply #449 on: February 02, 2006, 08:02:56 PM »
[(I'm from Providence too.)

Me too..Aloha!