The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Reactions to Brokeback by friends, family & audiences  (Read 337721 times)

lynn

Re: Audience, Friends and Family Reactions to the Movie
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2006, 10:06:17 AM »
As I see it, this forum is for anyone who's interested in BBM and wants to share his or her thoughts and reactions.

Yes, all opinions welcome! We are interested in what our friends and family and audiences in various cities think of this movie and understanding the different reasons people might not like it. It's helpful to temper our expectations knowing that not everyone shares our intense passion.

If there are specific scenes anyone either likes or dislikes, you may also wish to discuss them in more detail in the Main Forum under Dislikes or Movie Scenes.  :)

lynn

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2006, 10:08:35 AM »
I think I agree with you - it is unlikely to win best picture.

Why is that, Charlie?

Offline waynerman

• Experienced
  • Gay Author
    • This Way Madness Lies
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2006, 10:50:39 AM »
I for one do not agree that BBM is unlikely to win best picture. Look at its competitors. Good Night, and Good Luck is an excellent film, but it's just a bit on the cold and clinical side--a movie that people respond to in an intellectual, rather than emotional, way. Same with Munich. These pictures are chilly.

BBM, on the other hand, is a movie that people, including Academy voters, can warm up to. That has led to Oscar success in the past.
Check out my outrageous erotic novel, "My Name Is Rand," published by Suspect Thoughts Press!

Offline Charlie

• Feet Wet
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2006, 11:07:28 AM »
I think I agree with you - it is unlikely to win best picture.

Why is that, Charlie?

I don't know.  I just feel that it won't.  But I would love it if it does.

Offline Tony

• Experienced
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2006, 12:56:48 PM »
I couldn't wait any longer.  I had to go tonight.
Arclight 7:35 PM.  Lines were too long and too slow.  My line wasn't moving.  The computer got broken!  They did reset it.  It was 7:45 PM when I was in front of the ticket counter. The show was soon starting.  Luckly there was another show at 8:10PM.  So, I got tix for that one.  Before the previews started I went to check the board to see if my show sold out.  Well... not only one, but two shows sold out!!! 7:35 and 8:10 !!!  Munich had two sold out too around those times.  Match point had one sold out.

The audience was quite mixed.  40% gay, and half women.  Lots of staight couples.
They reacted to most of funny scenes.  The 4 yrs. later kiss was a shocker.  Lots of sadness when showing Alma's pain.
At the end, when they show the "Deceased" card, people screamed!
During the Ennis/Lureen phone conversation, people was in shocked.  Some people yelled "OMG", "Oh no!", when Ennis is think about Jack's tire iron.  :'(

At the end, I observed people leaving the room and lots were crying, including straigth men.

I checked the board for any other sold outs (the 10's shows).  There were no more sold out by BBM, Munchic or somebody else.

What's going on ????  This is the 5th weekend that BBM is shown here in LA, and still theaters are packed, people react to the movie...  This is insane!

By the way, I just tied my all-time record of viewing the same movie.  :o   I had that record with Titanic.
I will hit the 8th viewing mark soon.... very soon.... :-*

Offline Tony

• Experienced
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2006, 01:02:41 PM »
The young straight audiences was quieter, while the gay audience laughed during the first tent scene (sacrilege) and Alma at the reunion kiss. Not unlike some other reactions posted here.

I'm starting to think that out in the suburbs at a muliplex on a midweek afternoon is the way to go. Mostly seniors, a few couples, and nuts like me. Quiet as a church, for the most part.

I second that.  BTW, brand new member here today .. I'm sure moderators and other members will provide guidance if I run afoul of established protocol. 

As I said in my introduction post, I've seen the film every day since my birthday (12/22), so I'm approaching 20 screenings.  It wasn't until the third or fourth that I finally caught all the dialogue, so much of it being whispered or mumbled.  Beyond that, it's laden with imagery, foreshadowing, and flashbacks, all of which require attention and concentration.  This is best done in a quiet, uncrowded theater with people who know how to behave themselves. 

My home base is the Ritz in Philadelphia, which has had showings from 11:30a to 10:00p.  I've seen at least one at each time, and some interesting trends have come to light: 

a)  For the most part, the straight audiences have demonstrated a surprising level of self-control during the scenes most likely to jolt them.  This is encouraging:  no outbursts, no sneering, no exaggerated groaning, certainly no dramatic walkouts.  None of this was the case in 1982, when half the theater walked out during _Making Love_.  The worst reaction I've noted is inappropriate giggling. 

b)  Beyond their surprising restraint, I believe the majority of the straight audiences "get it."  I say this because of two consistent observations beyond their unexpected composure:  a large number of the men, particularly the younger men, walk out silently, their chins attached to their chests.  This is what guys do when they don't want people to see they're emotional.  Also, the older folks -- my cohort, 45+ -- often cluster outside the theater, babbling on about how wonderful it was.

c)  Philadelphians react, audibly, to all the same scenes others have mentioned:  Alma at the door witnessing The Kiss; turning away from Ennis, in tears, as he runs off with Jack; Aguirre spying the barechested grappling; Jack reading the Riot Act to his asshole of a father in law.

d)  The Returned Postcard:  by this point, the theater is usually stone silent.  When the postcard is revealed, there are often audible gasps and stifled sobs. 

e)  Jack's (imagined?) murder:  by this point, many women seem to be struggling to control their tears.  Single women seem to do better in this regard than women in groups.  In mixed-sex couples, a surprising number of the men are slumped down in their seats, appearing to recoil. 

I must've talked with at least a hundred people (anyone who'll submit themselves to this torture, actually), and there was but one person who didn't like it.  Surprisingly enough, it was a younger (32) gay man, a longtime friend, who thought it was "too long" and lacked continuity.
These are great observations!

Offline Pug

• Jack n Ennis 4 Ever
  • Obsessed
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2006, 01:12:23 PM »
RJC, you may have a point. At work, I just merely explain that I'm not Christian or Jewish but Brokebackian, which is why I need to attend screeings on a regular basis.
Pug
To err is human, to forgive is canine

Offline Tony

• Experienced
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2006, 01:14:10 PM »
I got my 8th viewing yesterday!!!!
It was Sunday first show and the theatre was packed!!!  This is crazy!

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2006, 01:58:55 PM »
I didn't have the emotional impact from the movie that everyone else has had, and I don't think myself an emotional cripple.

it must be having some effect on you or you wouldn't be cominng back and commenting here.  maybe you really haven't figured out where the hook is yet, but it appears to have caught.  i am sure there are more fun and sexy forums with a more age appropriate crowd or less tightly specific subject matter, but you choose to be with us.  why not try puttinig BBM out of your mind for a week or so, and see if you still feel like talking about it.  if you do, i think you might want to read the story and/or see the movie again, and see what it sticks in your craw.

jack
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline Childers

• Virgin
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2006, 02:11:22 PM »
I saw this film in San Francisco the first time and the audience sat in stunned silence.  I just saw it again last night in Las Vegas and the audience reacted in a manner I thought quite ignorant, including laughing when Alma sees them kissing.  Of course, much of the laughter was probably nervous reaction.  The complexity of emotion that runs through her at that one instant was gut wrenching.  It spoke loudly of how we devastate the lives of those we love when we do not live in honesty with each other.

The reason so many straight females LOVE this movie is because it is a "relationship" movie.  The complexities of the relationships, not just between the two men but between the men and their wives, the men and their children, Jack and his father in law, Jack's parents, Ennis's father and siblings, even the relationship of Monroe and Alma when she is a clerk in his store, gets explored with heartfelt emotion, with and/or without words.  It is simply a very compelling love story told brilliantly.  

Offline rjc

• Feet Wet
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2006, 02:19:04 PM »
RJC, you may have a point. At work, I just merely explain that I'm not Christian or Jewish but Brokebackian, which is why I need to attend screeings on a regular basis.
Pug

Thanks for the tip, pug. I'm sure my family and friends will understand my compulsion when I tell them I'm Brokebackian. It's time I came out the closet anyway.

Offline WLAGuy

• Obsessed
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2006, 02:34:07 PM »
I didn't have the emotional impact from the movie that everyone else has had, and I don't think myself an emotional cripple.

it must be having some effect on you or you wouldn't be cominng back and commenting here.  maybe you really haven't figured out where the hook is yet, but it appears to have caught.  i am sure there are more fun and sexy forums with a more age appropriate crowd or less tightly specific subject matter, but you choose to be with us.  why not try puttinig BBM out of your mind for a week or so, and see if you still feel like talking about it.  if you do, i think you might want to read the story and/or see the movie again, and see what it sticks in your craw.

jack

There seems to be a correlation between a viewer's age and the emotional impact BBM has on that person.  My younger friends who have seen the movie thought it was sad, but weren't as devastated by it as I was (or as some of the other people on this board), and I don't think it's because they are emotional cripples (well, maybe one is).  I think it may be because they don't have that first-hand experience with loss, loneliness or a lifetime of regrets that many of us who are older have.  

Offline AvgGuyIA

• Getting Acquainted
  • "Alma? It ain't her fault."
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2006, 02:35:32 PM »
I just returned from seeing Brokeback Mountain for the first time after not expecting it to EVER be shown in Davenport Iowa.

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=144.157

I took some time off from work (Monday) to go see it...cost me a hundred bucks plus $6.50 admission but it was worth it.  When I arrived there was a man sitting in "my spot"...you know...that one seat in the threatre where you're not too high or too low and perfectly centered?  Well this other guy got it, so I sat a couple seats over.  At first, I thought we'd be the only ones in the theatre, but soon a tickle of folks came in and then finally, quite a few for a Monday showing at 12:15PM.

The audience settled into the show very quickly and except for the funny parts (Jack dancin') there was no laughing...thankfully no 'ewwwww'.  I think everyone there was a stunned as me in the beauty and tradegy of this film. 

That's all I can say about it at this time; I'm sure you all understand why  I need somebody to hold me close right now. 

Dave

Offline scot5636

• Experienced
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2006, 03:16:52 PM »
There seems to be a correlation between a viewer's age and the emotional impact BBM has on that person.  My younger friends who have seen the movie thought it was sad, but weren't as devastated by it as I was (or as some of the other people on this board), and I don't think it's because they are emotional cripples (well, maybe one is).  I think it may be because they don't have that first-hand experience with loss, loneliness or a lifetime of regrets that many of us who are older have.  

That's a partial explanation, but it doesn't cover everyone.  My partner and I saw it, and it wiped me out like a bad virus.  He thought it was sad, but got past it pretty quickly.  The difference is, that I've been his first and last for the past 18 years, whereas I had a little history before we met.  I'm not sure that I have a lifetime of regrets, but I certainly have a few.

But the friends that really puzzle me are a couple that's been together for 25 years.  Each of them had substantial histories before they met.  Neither of them liked the movie . . . "it's too slow" . . . "it's too long" . . . "the aging makeup on Jake and Heath is really badly done" etc.  Based on those complaints, it's probably tempting dismiss them as shallow and vapid -- but that's not the case.  They're both very intelligent, well-read, sweet guys.  Maybe, after 25 years, you forget just how painful that kind of loss and loneliness are.  I know I still remember after 18 years.

Offline DGB

• Feet Wet
  • "It could be like this...."
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2006, 04:05:18 PM »
My partner and I had a similar reaction mix.  He was more impressed with Geisha, (but also loves everything oriental to a compulsive level) which I found so predictable I was announcing scenes to myself before they happened.  He likes BBM and recognizes the love and sadness.  But he hasn't been thinking about it like I have (or others here on the forums).
We all have our experiences and our needs.  For a lot of us this film just went so deep into our subconscious that we were not prepared, and now we are having do deal and it hurts.
My thanks to the makers of this film.
"I don't know how to quit you..."  and I hope I never do.