The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Opening Scenes  (Read 191875 times)

Offline Cowboysnkisses

• Obsessed
Re: Scene: Opening Scene
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2006, 10:20:39 AM »

As for the "earlier today I was castrating a calf" and how that fits the parallel between the scenes

I posted this in the Ennis and Cassie Scenes, and since this is a point about parallelism you've raised in both, I'm posting it here as well.

Well, Pete, in that bar scene with Ennis and Jack, they're both talking about their childhoods.  Although it doesn't become fully evident until later just how gruesome an experience it was for both, they were both males with yearnings for other males who were shown in no uncertain terms that such feelings were regarded by those around them (including most importantly their fathers) as incompatible with masculinity.  One need only think of the emasculating effect such experience can have on the developing gay male psyche to have a figurative analogy with "castrating calves."
Now we know why Oscar is not anatomically correct.

The Cosmos: If Ernest Borgnine had a brain, he wouldn't use it.

helen_uk

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2006, 04:02:03 PM »
Somone posted elsewhere about it being more or less love at first sight for Ennis and Jack.  It made me think of the scene where he and Jack go to the bar just after meeting and where Ennis asks for a light.  He must've had his own, as he was smoking before Jack pulled up in his truck, so he didn't actually need the light.  Even at that early stage he wanted, probably subconsciously, to feel a connection with Jack.  And, of course, his falling into step with Jack as they walk to the bar.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 04:12:26 PM by helen_uk »

Offline ellye

• Obsessed
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2006, 04:25:31 PM »
Somone posted elsewhere about it being more or less love at first sight for Ennis and Jack.  It made me think of the scene where he and Jack go to the bar just after meeting and where Ennis asks for a light.  He must've had his own, as he was smoking before Jack pulled up in his truck, so he didn't actually need the light.  Even at that early stage he wanted, probably subconsciously, to feel a connection with Jack.  And, of course, his falling into step with Jack as they walk to the bar.

The way they eye each other up outside the trailer (Jack a lot more obvious than Ennis!) and specially the glances across at each other when Acquirre is on the phone, (again, Jack more obvious than Ennis)  set the scene like nothing else spoken could, and that, of course, is just before they go to the bar.  :)

Offline BestLoveStory

• Feet Wet
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2006, 11:00:47 PM »

WOW! I'm SO HAPPY you brought up this observation! It just warms my heart when all these little things pop up!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 11:47:57 PM by peteinportland »

Offline bb

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2006, 11:42:57 PM »

sorry...I couldn't resist - oh yes, he's carefully watching Jack out of the corner of his eye.  I can't imagine Ennis stealing glances like this unless there's an attraction already. 

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2006, 11:54:59 PM »

I never caught onto the lighter observation. I always wondered why it was there! Of course Ennis has his own lighter if he were already smoking. Very nice. I hate loose ends in Ang's scenes because I know there are none. Is nothing on accident with this man (and Larry and Diana)?

Another interesting note about the bar scene that I notice every time now. When Jack starts talking to Ennis and tells him about the lightning storm (BTW--why a lightning storm and why is it the first thing Jack talks about to Ennis?) Ennis looks at Jack as if he has just stepped off a space ship. Anyone else remember this? What is that look for? What is Ennis thinking? It may be "nobody EVER talks to me, so why is this guy," but I dunno. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 02:27:48 AM by peteinportland »

Offline SquallCloud

• Austin and Jake Fan
  • Obsessed
  • We did the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
    • Bedroom Behavior: The Friction In Their Jeans (My Fic)
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2006, 12:05:17 AM »
Thank you for the lighter observation!

Why does Jack know the word "asphyxiate"?

Also, I love love love "Sheeit, that's hard."

Offline BestLoveStory

• Feet Wet
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2006, 12:16:37 AM »

sorry...I couldn't resist - oh yes, he's carefully watching Jack out of the corner of his eye. I can't imagine Ennis stealing glances like this unless there's an attraction already.

I absolutley LOVE the way Ennis sneakily looks at Jack in the opening scenes. He looks so confused, curious, and cute!

Another interesting note about the bar scene that I notice every time now. When Jack starts talking to Ennis and tells him about the lightning storm (BTW--why a lightning storm and why is the the first thing Jack says to Ennis?) Ennis looks at Jack as if he just stepped off a space ship. Anyone else remember this? What is that look for? What is Ennis thinking. It may be "nobody EVER talks to me, so why is this guy" but I dunno. Any thoughts?

When I went and saw it I actually DID notice this and it confused me. Now that I think about it more and since I've analyzed the characters and scenes more to me I agree and think that the confused look ment: "Why would this guy that just met me be talking to me/want to talk to me?"
Thanks for bringing it up!  ;D

Offline ellye

• Obsessed
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2006, 02:52:12 AM »

I never caught onto the lighter observation. I always wondered why it was there! Of course Ennis has his own lighter if he were already smoking. Very nice. I hate loose ends in Ang's scenes because I know there are none. Is nothing on accident with this man (and Larry and Diana)?

Another interesting note about the bar scene that I notice every time now. When Jack starts talking to Ennis and tells him about the lightning storm (BTW--why a lightning storm and why is it the first thing Jack talks about to Ennis?) Ennis looks at Jack as if he has just stepped off a space ship. Anyone else remember this? What is that look for? What is Ennis thinking? It may be "nobody EVER talks to me, so why is this guy," but I dunno. Any thoughts?

I thought that look was just his shocked reaction to hearing 40 odd sheep were killed the previous year. Cos I think he repeats the number.

And talking about this not being his first year, was probably the simplest way to start a conversation with someone he's about to work with this year. Specially with someone as talkative as Ennis!  ;D I mean he even introduced himself with just one name, to be as brief as possible, before Jack prompted him to give his surname as well.

Also, although it's not in the film, the trailer has that line of Jack's about as they'll be working together they might as start drinking together ... so it was Jack's idea to go for a drink (no surprise there!)  and Ennis presumably knew Jack would be talking to him so I don't think he was surprised at BEING talked to. No, I think the look was just about the sheep.

And yes, I wondered about the lighter as well, seeing as Ennis wasn't smoking when he got out of the lorry, but he was when he was stood against the trailer and knocking a cigarette out (leaving the end he took out in the bar) so he obviously lit it somehow with something he had.

Offline Markus

• Getting Acquainted
Re: Opening Scene
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2006, 10:38:30 AM »
  Now, when I see Ennis clutching his crumpled paper bag in these two scenes, I am moved to tears.  There's something so sad and lonely about the way he clutches that bag.

100% agree. Seeing Ennis outside the Trailer in the opening scene, his paper bag next to him just moves me to tears as well, I can't really point my finger on why, but it definately has a certain sadness.

Offline valkyrie

• Experienced
  • I know for sure that love is coming....
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2006, 01:42:51 PM »
Hi, could anyone tell me where I can find this trailer?

Offline levans645

• Obsessed
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2006, 01:53:32 PM »
Hi, could anyone tell me where I can find this trailer?
go to brokebackmountain.com
Heath Ledger:

“It's not a disease. It's not contagious. They should understand that it's a story of pure love.
They don't have to be a hero. They don't have to be brave like us.
I guess a little bit of maturity is being asked for because society has been immature in the past. That's about it.”

Offline cythera4

• Expert
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2006, 02:25:10 PM »

sorry...I couldn't resist - oh yes, he's carefully watching Jack out of the corner of his eye.  I can't imagine Ennis stealing glances like this unless there's an attraction already. 

This moment (Ennis surreptitously glancing at Jack with a dawning attraction) is echoed several times: in Aguirre's trailer, when Jack first leaves for higher ground, and later when Ennis is washing out a pot and glances up to spot Jack on the mountainside. There is definitely a spark there, no question. And Ang Lee is such a genius to know that, in this context, gay love has to be expressed this way--in furtive glances and tentative gestures. He captures so much without the characters speaking a word.

Offline bookgirl

• Feet Wet
    • My Live Journal
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2006, 03:00:59 PM »
  Now, when I see Ennis clutching his crumpled paper bag in these two scenes, I am moved to tears.  There's something so sad and lonely about the way he clutches that bag.

100% agree. Seeing Ennis outside the Trailer in the opening scene, his paper bag next to him just moves me to tears as well, I can't really point my finger on why, but it definitely has a certain sadness.

I feel the same way about Ennis and his paper bag (s).   

1963:   Here's a 19 year old boy reporting to work, where he'll spend the next ~3 months in the mountains, and the only possessions he takes with him fit in a folded-over paper bag.   Everything he has at that moment fits in that small bag.

1983:   When he leaves the Twist farm with the entwined, bloodied shirts in the folded-over paper bag, we realize that after 20 years, all Ennis has left fits in a folded-over paper bag.

Heartbreaking.

Offline cythera4

• Expert
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2006, 03:14:04 PM »
I feel the same way about Ennis and his paper bag (s).   

1963:   Here's a 19 year old boy reporting to work, where he'll spend the next ~3 months in the mountains, and the only possessions he takes with him fit in a folded-over paper bag.   Everything he has at that moment fits in that small bag.

1983:   When he leaves the Twist farm with the entwined, bloodied shirts in the folded-over paper bag, we realize that after 20 years, all Ennis has left fits in a folded-over paper bag.

Heartbreaking.

So true, so true. Very perceptive. A paper bag and a trailer in the opening scene, and at the end. That's it. That, and a hole in his heart forever.