The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Our Ad Campaign --CLOSED THREAD  (Read 774092 times)

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
Our Ad Campaign --CLOSED THREAD
« on: March 06, 2006, 06:57:57 PM »
I think most of us went into shock last night when Jack Nicholson read off the wrong name. For a brief moment, I actually thought it was a joke.

I was angry, frustrated and distraught, but comforted, really, to come home to our site to find thousands of you feeling the same feelings, and so many of you looking for a way respond.

Within a few hours we had two good suggestions to start with, and a thread dedicated to discussing them, and less than a day later, we have achieved consensus.

So here's what we're doing:

Two responses: one collective and coordinated but more individual:

1. A newspaper ad
2. An email campaign

This thread concerns #1. A separate thread for the email campaign is here: http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=1732.new#new

WHAT: We are organizing a campaign to place an ad in one or more influential papers, with a positive tone, stating that we believe Brokeback Mountain was the best picture of the year. We will cite the list of major awards we are agreeing with, and briefly state who we are and why this film matters so much to us.

WHO: We need everyone we can to take part in this in some way. For practicality, we will organize a small committee to tackle the planning/logistics and make it happen. I have asked Pete in Portland to chair this group, organize the committee and take the lead in implementing it. Most of you know him as a moderator with a strong background in both community organizing and the film industry. He has been heavily involved in discussions of how to approach this for the past 24 hours, and will make an excellent leader. You will hear more from him in the next post.

WHEN: This needs to happen very soon to be effective. I would like to see the ad placed within a week.

HOW:

PAYPAL LINK FOR THE AD CAMPAIGN:
[/size][/color]

http://www.davecullen.com/brokebackmountain/adcampaign.html

You can donate by credit card without setting up a paypal account.

And if you want to email the donation link to people, send them this:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=dave%40davecullen%2ecom&item_name=Ad%20Campaign%20by%20the%20Brokeback%20Mountain%20Forum&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF&charset=UTF%2d8

--- UPDATE ---

THE FINAL DRAFT AD IS VERSION 10, HERE:

ALWAYS USE THIS LINK TO SEND PEOPLE TO THE FINAL VERSION OF THE AD:
[/color]

http://davecullen.com/brokebackmountain/img/ad-final.jpg

Here is the press release for immediate distribution. Just cut and paste it into the text of your email.

March 9, 2006
For Immediate Release
Contact: John Wells at 917-715-9263 or Linda Andrews at 210-885-4882

Hollywood, California-In an unprecedented show of support for Brokeback Mountain, a website discussion board has spearheaded a campaign to collect donations from around the world to place ads in trade and national publications in support of the movie. In the first 48 hours, the group raised nearly $16,000 from over 400 contributors, and a team of volunteers designed a full page color ad to run in the March 10 Daily Variety.

The ad campaign was started by members at the Ultimate Brokeback Forum as a positive way to deal with their emotions surrounding Brokeback Mountain’s loss for Best Picture at the Academy Awards. Instead of responding in anger, members wanted to find a way to thank the cast and crew of the film and to find a way to highlight Brokeback Mountain’s unprecedented string of Best Picture wins.

The disparate group quickly decided to start an ad campaign, and soon word spread to other sites, and donations started to pour in from around the world. “I think most fans of the film were stunned by the Best Picture surprise, which raised the question of how and why the Academy could have been so out of sync with virtually every other organization that awarded Best Picture honors," site organizer Dave Cullen said in explaining why so many diverse people worldwide were donating to the campaign.

According to industry watchers, no movie has generated this sort of fan response after a loss for Best Picture. Fans are happy their support for Brokeback Mountain is becoming part of industry lore. They hope that others looking for a way to honor Brokeback Mountain as the Best Picture of 2005 will contribute to the campaign, so more ads can run to help raise awareness that the film garnered nearly every Best Picture award bestowed for 2005. “Only one major organization did not name Brokeback Mountain as Best Picture,” says campaign chair Peter Greyson.

In part, this one snub for Best Picture was why those involved with the campaign wanted to send a clear message that Brokeback Mountain was embraced by people around the world as well as highlight their gratitude for the film and remind people of the spirit of the film as expressed by Ang Lee: “[Jack and Ennis] taught all of us who made Brokeback Mountain so much about not just all the gay men and women whose love is denied by society, but just as important, the greatness of love itself.”

The organization spearheading the ad campaign is the Ultimate Brokeback Forum, hosted at davecullen.com/forum. The forum has 2,500 members and in only three months of operation is averaging 12,000 unique visitors each day and over 200,000 page views. For more information you can find them on the web at www.brokeback.davecullen.com

A copy of the ad going into the Daily Variety can be found at: http://davecullen.com/brokebackmountain/img/ad-final.jpg

--- (end of press release) ---

See all the stories written about us here:

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=2005.msg87880#msg87880
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 02:40:20 AM by peteinportland »

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
Re: Our Ad Campaign -- Response to the Best Picture Debacle
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 07:20:17 PM »
WOW! You guys are great! Thanks so much for getting this off the ground so quickly.

Here is what we need:

Copy for the Ad helen has already incorporated everyone's ideas into a great copy. It will be copied and posted here. My feeling is that we continue to discuss it on this thread and make changes. This needs to be complete by tomorrow. Let me know what you think of this.

Graphic Design Team We will need two or three graphic designers to design the ad itself using the copy the group has agreed upon. Any volunteers? Volunteers will need to have designed ads for print media before and understand how to adhere to the specs needed and transmit it to the media selected.

Ad rates We need a volunteer(s) to find out the ad rates for several papers and magazines, so we can decide what media outlet we want to go with.

Donations We will need someone to help track the donations (a separate account will be set up for this) and solicit donations by posting on threads about the campaign

Web design We will be setting up a web page just for this media campaign. We need volunteers to write the copy for this new web page and coordinate with our tech people in setting it up.

Press We will need volunteers to help coordinate notifying the press and our allies as to the printing of this ad. Volunteers should have some experience in coordinating media campaigns. We also need a spokesperson for our combined campaigns.

Please IM me if you want to volunteer. I envision this process taking place as much as possible in this thread, so we can get everyone's feedback as we go. I think this is important for our community here. I want this to be a community project. However, as this is a project of our site final decisions if needed will rest ultimately with Dave Cullen.

THANK YOU ALL!

Offline DanRWentzelJr

• Obsessed
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 07:54:45 PM »
Just putting these here for reference: 

Directors Guild of America Best Director
Writers Guild of America Best Adapted Screenplay

-----------------

The most important papers it seems to be are Hollywood Reporter and Daiily Variety

Offline kw

• Experienced
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 07:55:50 PM »
great job, thank you Dave, Peter & Helen
I actually feel much better after I know we will do something!
I can't sit and see Jack&Ennis' love being killed in front of me and do nothing
won't watch Oscar for the rest of my life

helen_uk

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 07:59:12 PM »
Thank you

Annie Proulx, Larry McMurtry, Diana Ossana, James Schamus, Ang Lee, Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Williams, Anne Hathaway, Randy Quaid, Scott Michael Campbell, David Harbour, Anna Faris, Linda Cardellini, Kate Mara, Roberta Maxwell, Peter McRobbie,  Gustavo Santaolalla, Rodrigo Prieto
and the entire cast and crew

for transforming our lives through the
most honored and awarded film of the year

"Brokeback Mountain"

We agree with those who named
"Brokeback Mountain" the Best Picture of 2005:

British Academy of Film & Television Arts
Golden Globe Awards
Golden Satellite Awards
Independent Spirit Awards
Venice Film Festival
Boston Film Critics
Broadcast Film Critics Association
Cinephile Society
Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics
Florida Film Critics
Internet Entertainment Writers Association
Iowa Film Critics
Las Vegas Film Critics
London Film Critics
Los Angeles Film Critics Association
New York Film Critics Circle
Online Film and Television Association
St. Louis Film Critics
San Francisco Film Critics
Southeastern Film Critics
Utah Film Critics
Vancouver Film Critics

Also

Producers Guild of America: Best Picture
Directors Guild of America: Best Director
Writers Guild of America: Best Adapted Screenplay

"I want to thank ... Ennis and Jack ... they taught all of us who made Brokeback Mountain so much
about not just all the gay men and women whose love is denied by society but, just as important,
the greatness of love itself."   
Ang Lee, Director

We will all live in a better world thanks to Brokeback Mountain.

Paid for by fans of Brokeback Mountain and those at
The Ultimate Brokeback Mountain Forum;
drawn together by this landmark film which will forever move,
heal and inspire people the world over.

www.davecullen.com/brokebackmountain

[/b]

The above is the finished first draft of the ad copy - we finally wrapped it up on P22 of this thread, and I'm posting it here for reference, instead of making everyone search through the thread for it.  Please try not to quote it in any of your posts, as it is extremely large and takes up a lot of space that people have to scroll through to get to any pertinent points you wish to make.  :)  Hope y'all like it.

EDITOR'S NOTE FROM DAVE:

I modified Helen's above note to clarify that this was the finished first draft of the ad copy. It has since been sent to the design team, and the editing team and continues to be revised, as of Tuesday night.[/b]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 11:29:54 PM by Dave Cullen »

Offline DanRWentzelJr

• Obsessed
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 08:00:25 PM »
Why are those two papers considered the most important? Are we talking to the good ol' boys' club or the nation?

Hmm.  If we are trying to reach the industry and the academy, thats where to start.

But, I'm open.  :)

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 08:00:58 PM »
Thanks for letting me in on this. I will respond to PM as quickly as I can. Don't think I am ignoring anyone.

Offline kw

• Experienced
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 08:01:32 PM »
Why are those two papers considered the most important? Are we talking to the good ol' boys' club or the nation?

I guess it depends on how much $$$ we can put together
I'd consider national newspaper
but do keep it to a fan level
so people won't misunderstand that it's Focus Features behind this
The Website is a great idea
even people don't want to donate can express their support
won't watch Oscar for the rest of my life

Offline Mo/sagha

• Experienced
  • o holy day
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 08:02:14 PM »

I hope the graphics team might consider a powerful, simple graphic instantly giving recognition and meaning.

I don't think we should count on there being another venue to express our view of homophobia as we will make one splash and one only with this first ad. So I think the choice of being only nice and being truthful is not an either/or proposition.

I really like the idea of a discreet, powerful graphic that could speak volumes for us with which all the meanings of the viewers imaginations themselves draw reference without need of saying anything, or spelling out our anguish at the motivations of many in the Academy in refusing to even see BBM or to give it a fair viewing. I really love the idea somebody else came up with of the tire iron which I am sure in the coming years will become an emblem of gay rights advocacy. Certainly it should become the graphic of our group.--sagha
SILENCE=TIREIRON

Offline lauren

• Obsessed
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 08:06:15 PM »

I hope the graphics team might consider a powerful, simple graphic instantly giving recognition and meaning.

I don't think we should count on there being another venue to express our view of homophobia as we will make one splash and one only with this first ad. So I think the choice of being only nice and being truthful is not an either/or proposition.

I really like the idea of a discreet, powerful graphic that could speak volumes for us with which all the meanings of the viewers imaginations themselves draw reference without need of saying anything, or spelling out our anguish at the motivations of many in the Academy in refusing to even see BBM or to give it a fair viewing. I really love the idea somebody else came up with of the tire iron which I am sure in the coming years will become an emblem of gay rights advocacy. Certainly it should become the graphic of our group.--sagha

Helen has already developed the ad based on all our thoughts from the previous thread on this topic. She's going to post it here. We decided to do with just text and it's a great ad. Stay tuned.

jayiijay

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 08:07:27 PM »
PETE and DAVE:  Member Archbishop Bruce has already set up a paypal account and collected donations.  You guys should contact him so he can turn over the money he already has to the new account you are creating.  He has also volunteered to continue to act as treasurer if that would help you guys.  Also, please post a central, easy to find spot that tells us where to send the money - not something we have to sort through forums to find, but something on your homepage, perhaps.  Also guys, Bruce told me that some people do not wish to contribute via paypal, so there should be an alternate address provided, perhaps a PO Box can be set up quickly?  On a personal note, I will be out-of-pocket until very late tomorrow, but if you desire or need it, please include me in your organizational efforts as a money person.  If you don't meet on the requisite goal, I would like to do my best to (immediately) cover any shortfall.  My e-mail address is jayiijay@yahoo.com, I will privately send you my cell phone number if you want it.  THANK YOU.

and

HELEN:

Please forgive me.  Not to nitpick, but I would post it like this, immediately below The Producers Guild of America:

Director's Guild of America
Writer's Guild of America (Adaptation)

It's minutia, but again, at least the Director's Guild is deemed a Best Picture prize by the industry, we are including the Guilds for the precedent value of no prior film having won all 3 having lost the Oscar.  If you indicate "best director" and "best adapted screenplay", in a small way it diminishes their value as Best Picture indicators - plus, if we are going to list "pure" Best Director and Screenplay prizes, then heck, you could go back to one of my earlier postings and pick up all the awards in those (and other) categories that Brokeback actually won.  But clearly the majority prefer just Picture, so I agree, leave it at that.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but thinking in movie industry terms, there is a method to the madness.   I promise not to say any more on the subject of the list.  THANKS AGAIN.

RolandC

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 08:07:53 PM »
Someone had an avatar of the photo of Brokeback Mountain but was in the shape of a ribbon like you would see for AIDS or Breast Cancer support networks.

Maybe that graphic should be considered -- short, sweet and to the point.

Offline Pug

• Jack n Ennis 4 Ever
  • Obsessed
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 08:08:08 PM »
I do know tbhat the New York Times is VERY expensive but can find the rates. I wish we could afford to do Variety, the NY Times and the LA Times but that's wishfull thinking.
To err is human, to forgive is canine

Offline Ned

• Feet Wet
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 08:10:41 PM »
Hi, all.  I've read most of both threads, but it's still not 100% clear to me...
   WHO are we "writing" to...
      Brokeback studio, creators, cast, crew?
      the Academy?
      entire film/TV industry?
      media?
      public at large?
   WHAT do we want...
      thank the Brokeback team?
      embarrass the Academy?
      get an audited re-count?
      rescind Crash's Oscar?
      re-award the Oscar to Brokeback?
      require all future voters to see every film?
      overturn the award?
      get people to join the forum/foundation?
Choosing those answers determines the ad content.

Offline intervale

• Experienced
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 08:11:40 PM »
The Golden Globes are the Hollywood Foreign Press Association Awards. 

All main awards are alphabetical - it is fair.  All other awards are also alphabetical following this.

Thanks. Color me brain-dead!  But for accuracy, they're not called the HFPA Awards. Even the HFPA calls them "The Golden Globe Awards."  Since you're listing the organizations, it does make sense to say HFPA, but I'd still put "Golden Globes" first then HFPA next to it, especially if you put this in a paper other than Daily Variety. All I did was scan the list for "Golden Globes" and didn't see it. Like most readers of Daily Variety, I'm lazy and scan it quickly every day.  Sad but it's only show biz!

I would still put the Golden Globes at the top because it's the most prominent.  There is no need to be "fair," everyone knows what the biggest and best known awards are, as you said, the list already breaks it down by "main awards" and others, which is the same thing.

That's 4 cents I've added so far!