The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Fashion Thread  (Read 157874 times)

Casper

Re: The Fashion Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 05:13:05 PM »
Casper, do you have any pictures of your favourite designers' works? I've never heard of any of them (as you might be able to tell from my post, fashion is mostly a source of rants for me... :D)

I'm sorry, but I don't have any pictures.

Casper

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 05:19:37 PM »
I thought of some other designers that I have clothes which I sport:

Perry Ellis - His shirts are dressy but can be worn in the business environment

Geoffrey Beene -  I have a couple of his satin shirts. 

Nordstrom - I own a couple of their shirts. 

Bernini - Italian designer has many shirts with bold stripes.  I own a short sleeve shirt of his.

JHaneBarnes -  expensive but classifies the essence of a gentleman. 

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 11:43:05 PM »
Love the purse!  I can't believe how talented you are to have designed it and made it!  Kudos!

Agreed!  :o

Conny and Martina, I'm also fond of that kind of coats, and the hippie-ish style in general. I don't think it fits me, though - I tend to dress more or less minimalistic. But I enjoy seeing that kind of clothes on others!

Anne Hathaway looks so pretty in The Devil Wears Prada, doesn't she?
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Offline desertrat

• Sunflower
  • Obsessed
  • No angel ;-)
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2006, 02:02:22 AM »
Love the purse!  I can't believe how talented you are to have designed it and made it!  Kudos!

thank you ! i love designing and making things. alas, never enough time, never enough  :D :D
Minds are like parachutes... they both work better when opened.

Offline desertrat

• Sunflower
  • Obsessed
  • No angel ;-)
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2006, 02:03:19 AM »
Anne Hathaway looks so pretty in The Devil Wears Prada, doesn't she?

yes, she did ! i was quite surprised. loved that movie, it was the funniest movie i saw in quite a while...

Casper

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2006, 06:15:21 AM »
For the best dressed male celebrity, I pick George Clooney.

Does anyone else have any other choices?

Offline john john

• Obsessed
  • Ennis, admit it,you're falling in love.
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2006, 09:16:55 AM »
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/john911_2006/00780m.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/john911_2006/00170m.jpg

I've loved Armani fore ever. Looking at these I can see that Heath has to be an Armani fan.
I bought  quite a few of  shirts sweaters and jackets. Although expensive  I always choose 'unspectacular' pieces and realized that I'm still wearing some still, after many years. The quality of fabric and cut are impeccable.

Now that I'm in my fifties I'm having trouble on deciding what 'fashion' trend I can adopt. I'm fit, lean and mean and can wear just about anything I want, but with the white hair I can easily look like an old fag trying to fit in!!!
I've been wearing the 'half low' waist, slimmer jeans (5' zipper instead of the more demanding 4') with success, nobody noticed!
My favorite get up is an adjusted T or polo under a jacket with jeans and black lace up shoes or boots.

I love shoes, always have. I can't afford the shoes I long for. Prada and Armani shoes are among my fantasies. They are outrageously, ridiculously expensive but hey, fantasies are meant to be ridiculous...

Most T shirts these days have prints all over, although I'd love to wear them I can't for fear of ridicule. Same for very pointed shoes or boots.
'Distressed' pants, jeans and jackets I think are stupid.

I'd look ridiculous in anything Jack and Ennis wore, although I'd love to be able to wear Ennis' straw hat.... 

I don't follow fashion, I pick and choose for whatever could possibly suit me without making too much of a statement. I usually choose dark colors with subdued prints, if any.
I aim for sobriety, cut, and washable fabrics. I hate dry cleaning!

I wear 'Eau d'Orange Verte' cologne by Hermès. It's gentle fresh and unpretentious. You must come close to me to realize I'm wearing it.

The whole point for me is to age with dignity without looking obsolete.

I'm still very concerned about how I look. I guess I picked it up from my very dapper dad...

By the way, those horizontal stripes can look awfull on any short woman with the slightest excess weight...otherwise she'll look shorter and fatter!!!
Same for men.

Buyer beware. Just my two cents ...

Having to hide your love is denying it.

Casper

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2006, 09:38:27 AM »
Jean, your designer clothes and your designer cologne classify you as a "gentleman extraordinaire."   

I adhere to your quote when you were talking about Prada and Armani shoes:

They are outrageously, ridiculously expensive but hey, fantasies are meant to be ridiculous...

Yes, you get what you pay for.  I, too, have several designer shirts that I have worn for several years because the clothes really hold up to the elements. 

Continued happy shopping, Jean!  :)

Offline desertrat

• Sunflower
  • Obsessed
  • No angel ;-)
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2006, 09:39:32 AM »
armani is great, you are right. a man should own an armani suit once in his life.  ;)

you are right about t-shirts with prints, i wouldn't wear them either if i was a man. it's something for boys and rock stars  ;) what i find immensely sexy on lean men is a tight, long-sleeved t-shirt. i wouldn't worry about age generally when picking clothes. the pieces should just be more classy and a bit more expensive the older one gets. but from the little number of pics you provided so far i don't think you have to be worried about looks  ;)

you're right about the horizontal stripes. though, being short isn't an issue. i'm VERY short but slim so the stripes are ok. i don't look fatter than i do with other patterns. it's just important that the proportions are balanced, especially with the long pullovers etc. that means no long pullovers and skinny jeans for me without high heels... :)

Casper

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2006, 09:41:54 AM »
I don't like the torn jeans look.  I mean, it looks like you are "down and out" when wearing something like that.  Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Offline desertrat

• Sunflower
  • Obsessed
  • No angel ;-)
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2006, 09:45:00 AM »
I don't like the torn jeans look.  I mean, it looks like you are "down and out" when wearing something like that.  Anyway, that's just my opinion.

it depends. blue jeans with a bit of a rugged look on a man...a leather jacket and a motor bike.....

for every other colour it doesn't fit that well. especially if one can see that they are artificially ''aged".

Offline john john

• Obsessed
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2006, 10:02:07 AM »
"i find immensely sexy on lean men is a tight, long-sleeved t-shirt"

I agree! I especially like those inspired by underwear, with the slit and buttons at the neck. American Apparel makes a nice one (wearing it now)

I find that I'm stuck between sizes when I buy shirts and sweaters. My shoulders are to wide for medium, I then have to wear large but then the sleeves and body are too long! Story of my life...

Yes Casper, and torn and printed stuff is very expensive for a down and out look! What a paradox.

As for 'gentleman extraordinaire' thanks, but I suspect that my hair, more than my clothes, does a lot of the work for me...

Offline desertrat

• Sunflower
  • Obsessed
  • No angel ;-)
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2006, 10:30:34 AM »
"i find immensely sexy on lean men is a tight, long-sleeved t-shirt"

I agree! I especially like those inspired by underwear, with the slit and buttons at the neck. American Apparel makes a nice one (wearing it now)

ooohhh yes ! *swoon*

I find that I'm stuck between sizes when I buy shirts and sweaters. My shoulders are to wide for medium, I then have to wear large but then the sleeves and body are too long! Story of my life...

you have something in common with my man...either he is too short for his broad shoulders or his shoulders are to broad for him  ;) i usually shorten the sleeves and the body a bit (his luck that i'm good at sewing  ;))

Casper

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2006, 11:20:21 AM »
Regarding Prada's men's shirts, I find it nearly impossible to find a size comparable to 15" neck 32/33 sleeve. I wish there would be more of a selection for guys who wear small and medium sizes.

Offline john john

• Obsessed
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2006, 11:29:44 AM »
you have something in common with my man...either he is too short for his broad shoulders or his shoulders are to broad for him  ;) i usually shorten the sleeves and the body a bit (his luck that i'm good at sewing  ;))

I am not alone, yeah!!!!!!!!