The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Orchid Hothouse - for Orchid lovers and those who appreciate them.  (Read 173317 times)

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
Re: The Orchid Hothouse - for Orchid lovers and those who appreciate them.
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 10:18:55 PM »
Nicky gave this plant to me as a gift last May... the flowers very fragrant in the summer warmth, filling the plant room, noticeable when the door is first opened...

Cattleya Secret Love

Since then it has grown two new growths, both are currently in bud, soon to be blooming again.
i'll beat jackie to it...

secret love...

OHHHH ROB!  :-[ ;) :-*
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 07:38:45 AM »
Thanks Rob!

Seeing these pics of orchids made me think of a friend of mine from high school that I hadn't thought of in many years. Since he hasn't come back to our reunions, I don't know what happened to him. He had apparently moved out of the city well before Katrina. But this discussion has brought back pleasant memories of him telling me about his hobby.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Yogis Boo-Boo
  • Obsessed
  • Ten Year Forum Member. Do I get a pin?
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 08:43:06 AM »
Thanks Rob!

Seeing these pics of orchids made me think of a friend of mine from high school that I hadn't thought of in many years. Since he hasn't come back to our reunions, I don't know what happened to him. He had apparently moved out of the city well before Katrina. But this discussion has brought back pleasant memories of him telling me about his hobby.

I'm glad to help, Fritz...

Orchid growing can become an obsession... the family is the largest of all plant families, with from 30,000 to 100,000 different species, depending on which authority you choose to believe. Many orchids have tiny rather "insignificant" flowers. Some others have bizarre flowers, with strange shapes, colors or fragrances (or odors!). Many are among the most beautiful creatures mother nature has given us!

Each group of orchids has it's fanatics, to hear discussions at orchids society meetings or shows can be very intriguing! :)
Old Brokeback got me good...

Offline Nax

• The Captain Underpants Enigma
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
  • A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
    • naxfun.com
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 08:56:04 AM »
Thanks Rob!

Orchid growing can become an obsession... the family is the largest of all plant families, with from 30,000 to 100,000 different species, depending on which authority you choose to believe. Many orchids have tiny rather "insignificant" flowers. Some others have bizarre flowers, with strange shapes, colors or fragrances (or odors!). Many are among the most beautiful creatures mother nature has given us!

Each group of orchids has it's fanatics, to hear discussions at orchids society meetings or shows can be very intriguing! :)
Lets not forget taste either, Vanilla pods are the seed pods of an orchid.

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Yogis Boo-Boo
  • Obsessed
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 09:47:16 AM »
Thanks Rob!

Lets not forget taste either, Vanilla pods are the seed pods of an orchid.

Yes sir!

Another orchid, Paphiopedilum concolor, the flower itself when dried, smells strongly of maple syrup. I doubt anyone has looked into producing anything from it, though. :)

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 06:59:13 PM »
my ex has been growing them successfully for years and swears the the most important element is humidity. they crave it. in colorado it's very dry so he ran a humidifier constantly, and they liked it. in LA, they're flourishing for him without.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 08:06:14 PM »
Okay orchid lovers is this an orchid?

It is from the conservatory of flowers and seemed to be an epiphyte.  Help?

[does orchid love cause orchitis?]
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2006, 11:59:01 PM »

is that inflamation of one's whale?
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Yogis Boo-Boo
  • Obsessed
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 01:34:56 AM »
Okay orchid lovers is this an orchid?

It is from the conservatory of flowers and seemed to be an epiphyte.  Help?

No Mikey, that is not an orchid. The plant in your photo is a dicot, orchids are related to the grasses, lilies, iris and bananas: they are monocots.

I recognize the plant, though don't recall it's name.

And no, orchid love causes orchid-itis, and those who study this disease are called "orchidologists". Really! ;)

PS: There are many epiphytes out there. From mosses and ferns, to philodendrums and even Christmas cactus,(really, too!).

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 05:11:38 PM »

No Mikey, that is not an orchid. The plant in your photo is a dicot, orchids are related to the grasses, lilies, iris and bananas: they are monocots.

I recognize the plant, though don't recall it's name.

Thanks Rob...I'll take Auntie to the Conservatory when she gets here and get the name of that.

:-*

p.s. - they have vanilla growing in the coservatory
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

Offline phrag3

• Expert
  • I remember.
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 05:43:30 PM »
I have a vanilla plant growing, but know that it will never flower as they take many, many years to do that. But it is an interesting orchid, that grows vine-like, and quite quickly. It is starting to take over one of my plantstands.

To keep up the humidity, I grow my orchids in trays, over water. The Phrags I grow standing in water.

My orchids are in my basement, under lights, both fluorescent and halide.

Dan

Offline phrag3

• Expert
  • I remember.
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 06:00:37 PM »

A paph hybrid unnamed

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Yogis Boo-Boo
  • Obsessed
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006, 06:08:48 PM »

A paph hybrid unnamed

Love the paph, Dan!

I was once in south Florida, in Homestead, I'm thinking. A very large (and popular) grower of (primarily) vanda type hybrids is based there. Took the tour of the place (RF Orchids). Several different species of vanilla were blooming there, all growing along the trunks of tall palm trees...

Offline Nax

• The Captain Underpants Enigma
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
  • A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
    • naxfun.com
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2006, 01:50:08 AM »

A paph hybrid unnamed
O wow, I just love these plants, they always remind me of natures' infinite varieties and divesification - a bit like people really  ;)

Nick_F

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2007, 06:10:01 PM »