The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Orchid Hothouse - for Orchid lovers and those who appreciate them.  (Read 173315 times)

Nick_F

Re: The Orchid Hothouse - for Orchid lovers and those who appreciate them.
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2007, 06:10:44 PM »

Nick_F

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2007, 06:11:21 PM »

Nick_F

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2007, 06:11:51 PM »

Offline Nax

• The Captain Underpants Enigma
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
  • A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
    • naxfun.com

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Yogis Boo-Boo
  • Obsessed
  • Ten Year Forum Member. Do I get a pin?
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2007, 12:06:30 PM »

Oh! this is just stunning!!!!!

It's Encyclia cochleata, Neil, this one a seedling I bought a number of years ago in Orlando, Florida. The species is a native of south Florida and throughout tropical America.

Very fragrant as well, of honey, sort of! Belongs to the same "tribe" as the cattleyas do...
Old Brokeback got me good...

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2007, 01:53:53 AM »
Hi everybody! I've been enjoying reading here and looking at the pictures (my favourite so far is the Encyclia cochleata). I wouldn't call myself an orchid enthusiast, but I own five plants and like them very much. Never treated them that specially, though...most of them are Phalaenopsis which, I've heard, aren't that demanding. While they blossom, I keep them in the living room, otherwise they're in the bedroom which is on the same side of the house so they get the same amount of sunlight. It might not be ideal, but it's worked so far...as you can see below, our view really needs improvement  :D

With apologies in advance that I'm not the best photographer around, here are the two that are blossoming right now:

Can anybody tell me what this one is called? I think the other one is a Phalaenopsis, but this one is different, isn't it? And are the brown spots on the leaves (not on the flower, I know they're supposed to be there  :D) a problem?

I also have a rescued stray. Somebody put an orchid on the stairs of our house, probably it had been a gift but the owner got bored with it when the flowers fell off. I waited a week, then wrote a note that I'd taken it in case the owner actually meant it to adorn the staircase, and now it's about to blossom so I'll soon see what the flowers look like!

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Yogis Boo-Boo
  • Obsessed
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2007, 11:59:02 AM »
Can anybody tell me what this one is called? I think the other one is a Phalaenopsis, but this one is different, isn't it? And are the brown spots on the leaves (not on the flower, I know they're supposed to be there  :D) a problem?

I also have a rescued stray. Somebody put an orchid on the stairs of our house, probably it had been a gift but the owner got bored with it when the flowers fell off. I waited a week, then wrote a note that I'd taken it in case the owner actually meant it to adorn the staircase, and now it's about to blossom so I'll soon see what the flowers look like!

Hi Laurentia,

Brown spots on old already flowered growths (leads) are pretty common, and normally not a lot to worry about unless they are soft and damp, if that's the case, it's probably a fungal or bacterial infection. Most just cut the infected area (the leaf) off. If the spots are dry I'd say that there's little to be concerned about, and you can leave them as are.

The plant, by the way, appears to be a hybrid between miltonia and oncidium, probably some odontoglossom thrown in it's parentage as well. Did you bring in into bloom yourself? Any problem with folded (accordian shaped) leaves? If not, congratulations! Mine frequently do, due to humidity levels too low, typically.

Keep up the good work! :)

Rob

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2007, 12:06:47 AM »
Thanks, Rob! The spots are dry, it's good to know they're nothing to worry about. Like most of my plants, this one was a present from relatives and this is the third time it blooms in the two years or so that I've had it. No folded leaves so far on any of my orchids, so I'm happy!
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Yogis Boo-Boo
  • Obsessed
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2007, 01:45:14 PM »
Thanks, Rob! The spots are dry, it's good to know they're nothing to worry about. Like most of my plants, this one was a present from relatives and this is the third time it blooms in the two years or so that I've had it. No folded leaves so far on any of my orchids, so I'm happy!

Is it fragrant? Looks like it might be...

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2007, 01:04:00 AM »
No, none of my orchids are fragrant, sadly. Or maybe it's just as well, since my Chris and I are both allergic. I once accidentally fell asleep in the same room as a bunch of lilies, and it took the best part of the following day for me to recover from the sneezing, itching, and snivelling... :P

Offline phrag3

• Expert
  • I remember.
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2007, 11:26:19 AM »

Second bloom on my un-named Paph.

Offline phrag3

• Expert
  • I remember.
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2007, 11:28:38 AM »

Paph insigne

Offline phrag3

• Expert
  • I remember.
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2007, 11:30:18 AM »

Paph pinocchio x bellatulum

Not a ver good photo as the bloom is so white it reflects too much light.

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Yogis Boo-Boo
  • Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2007, 02:47:21 PM »

Paph insigne
Very nice, Dan! I've not had a lot of luck blooming P. insigne in the house. I used to have lots of
P. spicerianum, P. gratrixianum, and other close relatives that would bloom very easily under my conditions, probably natives of warmer regions, I'm thinking.

Do you have any P. henryanum or P. barbigerum? They're very good in the house!

See you Tuesday!

Offline phrag3

• Expert
  • I remember.
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2007, 03:35:13 PM »
Rob,

No I don't, but Paph. villosum just opened up, so I'll have to take a picture.

I generally have not had much luck with my paphs blooming, but this fall/winter, for some reason, almost every plant has bloomed. As well as many of my phrags.

Don't know what I'm doing, but I'm not complaining.

Dan