The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: First Night in the Tent  (Read 557079 times)

Offline Melisande

• Chief Moderator
  • Obsessed
    • LiveJournal
First Night in the Tent
« on: January 08, 2006, 06:42:46 PM »
Go for it.

Ennis did.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 06:29:13 AM by peteinportland »
let be, let be

knightmare

Re: First Night in the Tent
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 06:45:04 PM »
Ok... my first impression?  Yeah, right.  He just dove in there... wouldn't that hurt?  Or did I miss something?

Offline Scott88

• Experienced
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 06:58:36 PM »
Ennis spit in his hand before "going in", but yeah, it wouldn't have been the most comfortable for Jack. ;)

knightmare

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 07:00:50 PM »
Well, being a slash writer, I realize I'm not the most knowledgeable about the subject, but I am in a far better position, information wise, than most.

And I winced.  So did my movie viewing partner.  Cause spit just don't hack it as a lubricant. 

As far as the emotions there, I liked how almost violent the coupling was.  It was a spur of the moment thing, although I got the impression (and remember, I haven't read the short story yet *pokes Mel*) that Jack had been thinking about it for some time.

Offline Melisande

• Chief Moderator
  • Obsessed
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 07:11:23 PM »
Ow!

It's a little different in the story.
let be, let be

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 07:16:26 PM »
One difference between the book and the film that I noticed and wondered about it;

in the book, I believe Ennis starts out in the tent, but not sharing the bedroll with Jack:

"Too late to go out to them damn sheep," said Ennis, dizzy drunk on all fours one cold hour when the moon had notched past two. ..... "Got you a extra blanket I'll roll up out here and grab forty winks, ride out at first light."

"Freeze your ass off when that fire dies down. Better off sleepin in the tent."

"Doubt I'll feel nothin." But he staggered under canvas, pulled his boots off, snored on the ground cloth for a while, woke Jack with the clacking of his jaw.

"Jesus Christ, quit hammerin and get over here. Bedroll's big enough," said Jack in an irritable sleep-clogged voice. It was big enough, warm enough, and in a little while they deepened their intimacy considerably.

So my take on this scene since first reading it was that once Ennis joined Jack in the warm bed roll, they got pretty up close and personal. So that Jack grabbing his hand was not completely out of the blue.  It was of course handled a bit differently in the film.

never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline Scott88

• Experienced
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 07:30:23 PM »
I think that is a difference, Mary.  And I believe the reason for it because Ennis, as actualized by Ledger and directed by Lee, was even more repressed than the character in Annie's novella.  He was even more inward and detached.  So it would have taken a bold move on Jack's part to awaken in Ennis those feelings of attraction he had worked so hard to suppress.

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 07:44:49 PM »
You know, Mary, I did forget that line from Annie about how they had "deepened their intimacy considerably." That isn't very clear in the tent scene. Nor is it clear before this scene (especially to straight people) how many clues and hints each had been giving to the other and how relaxed they had become with one another. I think Ang played it almost too subtlety here. I wish we had seen them snuggled a bit more. I can see how it happens: there has been this casual, almost unconscious, flirting for weeks; they are both drunk; they are sleeping close to each other and Jack wakes to feel Ennis' body pressed into his, probably even filling his hard dick pressed against him; so, of course, Jack being a bit bold grabs Ennis' hand and puts it on his own dick. Ennis recoils at first, but he knows Jack had felt his hard-on pressing against him, so he gives in to what it is he really wants. That is perfectly understandable.

Lee films it, so one could get the idea Jack is sexually assaulting Ennis to some degree (the Shalit review). But, in reality, Ennis is giving off clues and spooning with him while they sleep. Hmmm. Interesting.

Offline Melisande

• Chief Moderator
  • Obsessed
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 07:52:13 PM »
This scene bothered me the first time I saw it. Coming from a slash background, like km, where we're all about lube and stretching, I was taken aback by the lack of all that. So the second time, I watched for signs of their growing attraction, and they're definitely there - the jokes and laughter, the lingering glances, sharing the whisky, Ennis talking. But I think the scene could have been a little more explicit, as Pete says, about Jack being aware the Ennis was interested before he took his hand.

Modifying my own post because I left out - showing Ennis' interest doesn't help with the ouch factor and neither does seeing their attraction grow, but I found it easier to buy the second time I saw it. And I like the roughness and passion.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 07:59:49 PM by Melisande »
let be, let be

Offline Scott88

• Experienced
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 07:54:56 PM »
Lee films it, so one could get the idea Jack is sexually assaulting Ennis to some degree (the Shalit review).

But even if a viewer doesn't pick up on the (many) subtle clues about the growing attraction, this is a view which is debunked about 5 seconds later when Ennis freely reciprocates and makes clear he HAS been suppressing an attraction to Jack.

I understand your point about the subtelty, Pete, I just found the Shalit review so idiosyncratic and bizarre that I don't feel it merits much deference. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 08:02:23 PM by Scott88 »

Offline verkeerd

• Experienced
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 08:03:49 PM »
Great discussion, everyone! I'm new here but am so happy to see that tons of people love the film as much as I do! I read in an interview with Ang Lee where he complimented Jake's acting in that first tent scene -- Lee said he saw a "private moment" there, in the way that Jake "pounds" (see below). I remember earlier in a discussion somewhere most people seemed to say they don't buy Jake's reaction in this lube-deprived encounter. I must admit, I thought the scene was too sudden and abrupt when I first watched the film but on second viewing (maybe because now I'm prepared for that moment), it seems to work just fine -- I feel like all those bonding moments outside for days between the boys have been one long foreplay and Jack's gesture in the tent is simply natural, inevitable -- not at all "predatory" as some seem to see it. I find Ang's observations (remember he saw this at absolute close quarters) that the actors seem "beside themselves" very touching! Anyhow -- just wonder if anyone agrees with Ang's take on Jake's acting here.

Ang Lee: I remember at one point in the first lovemaking scene in the tent, I remember thinking, ‘This is brave,’ particularly of Jake. The way he pounds. You see in the dark…but I see very clear right in front of my eyes, the detail, and it was very close with a hand-held camera. The whole scene was in one shot. So many times you see beautiful lovemaking scenes with a lot of exposure or an awkward lovemaking scene, but I think it’s very rare that you see it private. And that’s what we were shooting for with this story. And I think you see some private moment there [with] actors kind of beside themselves. I think, as actors are, they are pretty brave.
from http://movies.about.com/od/brokebackmountain/a/brokeback120605.htm
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 09:03:23 PM by verkeerd »

Offline rick

• Feet Wet
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 08:39:58 PM »
"celluloid heroes never feel any pain & celluloid heroes never really die."

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 08:53:53 PM »
You know, to be very personal, it just hit me that my first time to bottom (as a scared teenager) we only used spit for lube (what did rural boys know about lube and condoms in the early eighties?) and everything was okay. So, I guess this is not that farfetched, especially considering it is 1963 during this scene. Spit and some precum work okay. My first time with that act also was not very tender or romantic, but much more like the tent scene. (Again, sorry if this is TMI, but we are going right there in this discussion, so I thought I'd offer some perspective.)

knightmare

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 09:06:46 PM »
You know, to be very personal, it just hit me that my first time to bottom (as a scared teenager) we only used spit for lube (what did rural boys know about lube and condoms in the early eighties?) and everything was okay. So, I guess this is not that farfetched, especially considering it is 1963 during this scene. Spit and some precum work okay. My first time with that act also was not very tender or romantic, but much more like the tent scene. (Again, sorry if this is TMI, but we are going right there in this discussion, so I thought I'd offer some perspective.)

It's only TMI if you feel that way ;)  As far as that, I only mention it, because it shocked me. As Mel said, we slashers spend time making sure we write the prep, so to see it without it was stunning.  Not bad, per se, but stunning.  'Course, I got it easier than Mel, all I got to do is have my charas wave a wand. 

I think that first scene is rather violent to someone who doesn't get the nuances, and who doesn't understand anal sex.  Not everyone understands how that works, male or female. 

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 05:24:30 AM »
I think we're all past TMI here. 

And let's just reverse the roles here for a second and see where this goes...how many women have had a not-quite-lubricated vaginal encounter?  It's not necessarily that bad - especially if there's been alcohol consumed and/or if there is some periphery of attraction.  I am well aware that we're dealing with different physiologies and different sexual processes here, but if there is interest in the partner or in the situation, I think things will tend to progress nicely...
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com