The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: First Night in the Tent  (Read 571095 times)

knightmare

Re: First Night in the Tent
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 08:08:47 AM »
This is all true.  What I'm trying to say is someone off the street...just your ordinary person, is going to look at this scene, and at first, only see the violence.

Even coming from the background that I do, I, when I first saw the scene (and my gay friend sitting next to me) saw only the violence.   It's only after reading everyone's comments, who, I think, have seen the movie more than once (and therefore the shock has worn off, or dulled just a touch) that I even thought to see it in another light.

But the regular, average movie goer? Maybe dipping their toes in the 'forbidden' just this first time?  They're gonna see violence.

edited cause apparently, I can't spell late at night
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 06:43:22 PM by knightmare »

Offline mountain boy

• Cowpoke
  • Obsessed
  • Thou not speakest thy truest love
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 01:00:15 PM »
Coming from a slash background, where we're all about lube and stretching...
OMG where is that interview where Heath said he prepared for the sex scenes by stretching!!

Offline Jack Nasty

• Obsessed
  • aka: Tim
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2006, 01:14:58 PM »
we're all about lube and stretching, I was taken aback by the lack of all that.

It is not that unusual to have anal sex without lube especially if the one on bottom really wants it. Back in day spit was the best option going and to some it still is! ;)
FUR IS DEAD! for more inFURmation: http://www.infurmation.com/

Offline mountain boy

• Cowpoke
  • Obsessed
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2006, 01:19:30 PM »
It is not that unusual to have anal sex without lube especially if the one on bottom really wants it. Back in the day spit was the best option going and to some it still is! ;)
Couldn't find your phone number - oops, wrong forum!   :o   :-[

Offline Jack Nasty

• Obsessed
  • aka: Tim
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2006, 02:54:51 PM »
Couldn't find your phone number - oops, wrong forum!   :o   :-[

Now you behave. ;)

In regards to the violence I can say that when I was 14 or 15 my buddy and I had our first "time" together (not all the way mind you) as a result of wrestling and rough housing. We were getting kinda violent until one of us started kissing the other one which lead too... (you get the picture). It was very special but it was very rough. Not exactly Jack and Ennis but kinda close. Ah, another Brokeback moment....
FUR IS DEAD! for more inFURmation: http://www.infurmation.com/

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2006, 06:22:31 PM »
pete...

your first wasn't a travelling salesman was he?  ;)
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline canmark

• Obsessed
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2006, 08:50:22 PM »
This is all true.  What I'm trying to say is someone off the street...just your ordinary person, is going to look at this scene, and at first, only see the violence.

I would agree with you to a point. Certainly the first time I saw BBM (back in September and before having read the story) I was pretty stunned by the scene. I had missed much of the flirtation going on and was quite surprised--and a little disturbed--by the agression, I would call it, not violence. But when I saw the second night scene I was so please--it totally made up for it.

Now, having seen BBM many times I would say that that scene is very important as is. It may be a shock to the senses, but it's very necessary to see it as is, and as it was written. Brokeback is not a fairy tale. It's not about making things nice or perfect or ideal. It's warts and all, and that's what makes it so REAL.
... yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

Offline aceygirl

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2006, 07:44:44 AM »
Another interesting sentence in the book regarding the scene mentions that Ennis is not one to do things halfway (I don't have the book with me and haven't memorized the passage--YET! LOL). So when Jack tries to put Ennis's hand on his cock, Ennis just goes for the whole he-bang. I interpreted that as being that Jack wanted to initiate some heavy petting or less extreme sexual activity, but Ennis just went for it.

Of course it's different in the movie, as someone else said, Heath's interpretation of Ennis is of one more repressed...I love that interpretation, but I also love how in the book it's pretty clear Ennis knows he's got it hard for Jack.

Offline mountain boy

• Cowpoke
  • Obsessed
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2006, 08:27:31 AM »
...Ennis just goes for the whole he-bang...
A welcome and useful new word!!

Offline David

• Experienced
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2006, 02:58:28 PM »
Ennis was drunk and asleep and I'm assuming Jack was drunk also. The short story indicates that Jack was asleep and irritated by Ennis' noises. Something interesting for consideration is that Jack's taking of Ennis' right hand with his (Jack's) right hand (which is why I'm assuming they chose Steve Earle's song "The Devil' Right Hand" for the movie) may have been fairly innocent, since they both were most probably drunk and asleep. It definitely takes Ennis a minute to wake up and process after he slings his hand away from Jack and sits up. I guess, however, Jack does seem more "awake", so maybe Jack wasn't as "out of it" as one might suppose.
The huge sadness of the Northern plains rolled down on him.

Offline evie

• Obsessed
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2006, 03:27:27 PM »
Remember the John Cougar Mellencamp song? Come on baby, make it hurt so good!
Let 'er rip and snort boys

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2006, 05:01:37 PM »

Maybe I'm unique then, b'c I didn't get the violence.  I took it that both young men were [fairly] inexperienced in ANY kind of sex but understood the basic mechanics.  They were both ripped to the tits drunk.  And they were unsophisticated enough that they didn't have the emotional maturity to even express what either one was feeling.  That doesn't make it violent, it makes it awkward and straightforward.
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

kumari

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2006, 08:33:52 PM »

Maybe I'm unique then, b'c I didn't get the violence.  I took it that both young men were [fairly] inexperienced in ANY kind of sex but understood the basic mechanics.  They were both ripped to the tits drunk.  And they were unsophisticated enough that they didn't have the emotional maturity to even express what either one was feeling.  That doesn't make it violent, it makes it awkward and straightforward.

I think part of what made it look/seem violent was the awkwardness as mentioned above. We are not used to seeing love scenes filmed this way. There is no seamless choregraphy; there are sudden bursts and stops and starts and fits and gasps.
I do think that there is something about the scene that makes it look more like a fight than lovemaking, but they are drunk, horny, scared, and 19.

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2006, 09:17:08 PM »
You know, I am not sure I could imagine these two characters in their circumstances doing this any other way the first time. That first night they have to express themselves in a way that will allow them to excuse themselves in the morning (many men have gay sex the first time under the cover of being drunk and cannot allow themselves much, if any, tenderness).

The second night was the time for tenderness, for exploring an unspoken hunger and need. The first night was just to get it out there.

Offline bookgirl

• Feet Wet
    • My Live Journal
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2006, 09:24:14 PM »

But the regular, average movie goer? Maybe dipping their toes in the 'forbidden' just this first time?  They're gonna see violence.

hi knightmare.  

I read your comments and I wanted to respond as a "ordinary person" - that being a straight, early 40's stay home mom of 2.   I'm an avid reader and movie-goer and my interests in these areas usually fall along the lines of murder mysteries, serial killers, political thrillers, etc..  In other words,  stories where violence is part of the theme.  

I've seen BBM 4 times now and it has never occurred to me to classify the first night in the tent as "violent".   What I did see was the powerful and explosive (no pun intended!) way their several weeks of what I would describe as friendship-turned-foreplay finally manifested itself.   It was raw and (somewhat?) unplanned, but that, IMO, was what made that scene so great.  I was, in fact, somewhat (okay a lot) turned on by their encounter.  The intensity of that coupling was breathtaking, much like the one that occurred at their 4yr reunion.  

So, that's my ordinary opinion and feelings about that scene.  Hope it gave you some insight.