The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: First Night in the Tent  (Read 571017 times)

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
Re: First Night in the Tent
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2006, 06:58:03 AM »

The first night was just to get it out there.

The first night was just to get it IN there.

:o
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline scot5636

• Experienced
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2006, 11:32:35 AM »
To me, this scene is the clearest indication that Jack is already completely in love with Ennis.  Remember, Jack has been checking Ennis out since he was shaving in his truck mirror outside Aguirre's office.  I know from painful experience ( which, I'm sure everyone here can validate) that it is possible to fall secretly in love with someone who doesn't flirt with you, actually gives you no encouragement at all. The shaving scene shows that Jack had an immediate attraction to Ennis.  They're thrown together, alone, no one else to talk with.  It's easy for me to see how Jack's initial attraction, under those circumstances, would have quickly developed into much deeper feelings. 

So, when we get to the first tent scene, I don't think it's at all unbelieveable or out of character that Jack would willingly give himself over to Ennis that way -- regardless of the pain or discomfort.  Jack makes the bold grab, having sensed that Ennis is possibly receptive, but probably without expecting that Ennis would take it in that direction.  When Ennis does flip him around, and it's clear what he wants, I think Jack makes a very considered decision --- he loves this guy, and if that's what it takes to bring him along, he's willing to do it.  It's just another example of Jack comforting Ennis.  In their physical relationship, Jack is always the one comforting Ennis.  This is just the most carnal and physical example of the comfort Jack provides.

Offline lauren

• Obsessed
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2006, 03:59:27 PM »
This is all true.  What I'm trying to say is someone off the street...just your ordinary person, is going to look at this scene, and at first, only see the violence.

Maybe I'm unique then, b'c I didn't get the violence.  I took it that both young men were [fairly] inexperienced in ANY kind of sex but understood the basic mechanics.  They were both ripped to the tits drunk.  And they were unsophisticated enough that they didn't have the emotional maturity to even express what either one was feeling.  That doesn't make it violent, it makes it awkward and straightforward.

I agree. I felt the same way about it not being violent. I never saw it this way. I didn't think they were necessarily completely drunk at that point since it seemed some hours had passed before Jack reaches his hand over (tht shot of the moon after Ennis crawls in....)

imennisshesjack

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2006, 04:42:26 PM »

That's my girl!!
You are such a whore. :P

Offline shipwrecked

• Feet Wet
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2006, 05:37:49 PM »
"The first night was just to get it IN there."

Hey I'mjackshe'sennis -- i love your posts.

shipwrecked.

kumari

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2006, 07:10:56 PM »

That's my girl!!

Get a room!  :D

Offline David

• Experienced
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2006, 08:12:17 PM »
I'm unsure which thread to post this in, so I'll try here. I really enjoyed the scenes right after their first night in the tent. When they woke up the next morning and Ennis is getting ready to ride off, the look on Jack's face after saying, "Beans for supper," speaks volumes: This whole affair is not going to end well. Ennis riding on the mountain ridge with dark clouds overhead and the discovery of the gutted sheep also send the message: This is not going to end well. Fantastic imagery and foreshadowing.

During one viewing with some nearby straight couples in the audience, the men were scoffing/snickering at the first encounter in the tent. They quickly got the message "the morning after" when they saw that, although Ennis and Jack had a 'good time' in the tent the night before, this whole thing was not going to work out alright. They shut up after that.
The huge sadness of the Northern plains rolled down on him.

Offline canmark

• Obsessed
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2006, 08:24:01 PM »
Re: the "violence" aspect, I was thinking about the sex scene in "A History of Violence," SPOILER, between Viggo Mortensen and Maria Bello. It starts out kind of violently (they are having a fight) and turns into them making love on the staircase (ouch!). I found it a bit disturbing and it made me uncomfortable. The first night in the tent may do that for some people, too, which is not such a bad thing.

I very much liked the morning after, with Jack sleeping blissfully, but Ennis waking up very wary. Ennis doesn't speak to Jack at all, and Jack looks a bit worried by this. It's amazing how Ennis's silences speak volumes. 
... yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2006, 08:38:32 PM »

Hey shipwrecked!  I'm a little twisted.   ;D  Sometimes my sense of humour gets the better of my good judgement.
Share more of your thoughts and welcome aboard!

H.
"And when he shall die,

Carol8159@yahoo.com

imennisshesjack

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2006, 07:25:01 AM »

That's my girl!!

Get a room!  :D

LOL @ Kumari.
Can we get a pup tent instead, one that doesn't smell of cat piss or worse? ;)

Offline shipwrecked

• Feet Wet
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2006, 01:57:25 PM »

Hey shipwrecked!  I'm a little twisted.   ;D  Sometimes my sense of humour gets the better of my good judgement.
Share more of your thoughts and welcome aboard!

H.

I just tried to post and i don't think it worked.   so i'll try to remember what i said.  I'm probably a little twisted too.  but not as funny.  Anyway, my thoughts on the first night in the tent are that it was rough, fast, and startling, but i didn't find it violent.  i found it, to my surprise, kinda...um...hot.  No woman i know except on this board feels that way.  I'm wondering how i found this place in cyberspace, and where am i? 

It has been three weeks since i first saw this movie and i find it has changed something fundamental inside me.  how can a mere movie do this?  it has been very painful for me, but i think it's probably a good thing.  i sure hope so anyway.

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2006, 02:53:07 PM »
I'm not sure I am doing this right, but here goes...Every one seems to be concentrating on Jacks motivation...lets not forget all the looks that Ennis gives Jack through out the first part of the film...the look when the horse almost throws him when they are getting the sheep...the look when it happens again on the mountain...the look when Ennis sees Jack way up on the mountain...you can tell Ennis is traveling on very different ground with this guy...he has opened a door that was bolted shut for years...when Jack makes the first move, the tent scene is one of the most realistically awkward, franticly impromptu sex scenes ever filmed...Ennis has had the feeling...lets not forget the line." You may be a sinner, but I haven't yet had the opportunity"...thats flirting at its most glorious.
"maybe you should get outa there...move someplace different...maybe Texas."

dudnkink

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2006, 10:51:53 PM »
You know, to be very personal, it just hit me that my first time to bottom (as a scared teenager) we only used spit for lube (what did rural boys know about lube and condoms in the early eighties?) and everything was okay. So, I guess this is not that farfetched, especially considering it is 1963 during this scene. Spit and some precum work okay. My first time with that act also was not very tender or romantic, but much more like the tent scene. (Again, sorry if this is TMI, but we are going right there in this discussion, so I thought I'd offer some perspective.)

;D Thank you for sharing your intimate story w/us.  No sarcasm there.  I mean it.  But what is TMI? 
I had to start reading this post regarding the love scenes in the tent, because I was sobbing over the posts going over Jack and Ennis' last time together.   :-[  I'm extremely haunted by this movie almost a week now.  Anyway- when Ennis "took" Jack in the tent that first night; (Hoo doggie!  I still get palpitations over this), I leaned over to my friend Gail and said, "What, no lubricant?"  And I'm a gay woman who has never had "that kind of sex."  So what do I know. 

Offline mountain boy

• Cowpoke
  • Obsessed
  • Thou not speakest thy truest love
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2006, 11:21:54 PM »
;D Thank you for sharing your intimate story w/us.  No sarcasm there.  I mean it.  But what is TMI? 
I had to start reading this post regarding the love scenes in the tent, because I was sobbing over the posts going over Jack and Ennis' last time together.   :-[  I'm extremely haunted by this movie almost a week now.  Anyway- when Ennis "took" Jack in the tent that first night; (Hoo doggie!  I still get palpitations over this), I leaned over to my friend Gail and said, "What, no lubricant?"  And I'm a gay woman who has never had "that kind of sex."  So what do I know. 
TMI=too much information

Yeah, a little lube might help, but these guys were in love, and before 1981, that was all that mattered.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 11:26:20 PM by wdj »

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2006, 05:32:16 AM »
I'm not sure I am doing this right, but here goes...Every one seems to be concentrating on Jacks motivation...lets not forget all the looks that Ennis gives Jack through out the first part of the film...the look when the horse almost throws him when they are getting the sheep...the look when it happens again on the mountain...the look when Ennis sees Jack way up on the mountain...you can tell Ennis is traveling on very different ground with this guy...he has opened a door that was bolted shut for years...when Jack makes the first move, the tent scene is one of the most realistically awkward, franticly impromptu sex scenes ever filmed...Ennis has had the feeling...lets not forget the line." You may be a sinner, but I haven't yet had the opportunity"...thats flirting at its most glorious.

You've done well, young grashopper!  You've brought a fairly fresh perspective to this thread!!!  Ennis did his fair share of "flirting" with Jack.  I hadn't really looked at it that way.  There were furtive glances and running jokes and so on.  But there's a fine line between friendship/comraderie and sexual partners.  Okay not so much a fine line as a gaping chasm.  Were their silent glares outside Agguire's trailer flirting or were they sizing up each other as summer co-workers?  Were the playful jibes back and forth about the skittish mare and the bad harmonica music and such teasing remarks to flirt? Or just to play "punch on the arm?"  It's hard to say for sure, given Ennis' stoic demeanor.  BUT when he pulled away from Jack's crotch, he did respond by turning Jack over, so maybe it was truly flirting.  IF that is the case, then I'll have to pay attention at this weekend's viewing (I'm bad!  5th time!) as there was a whole lot more flirting on Ennis' part......
"And when he shall die,

Carol8159@yahoo.com