The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Rose Garden  (Read 56208 times)

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
Re: The Rose Garden
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2007, 03:19:16 AM »

Both of these photos are of one of my favorite roses:
Rosa alba x 'semi-plena'

A long time ago i ordered it from Wayside Gardens because I was enamoured of the name. Eventually, i killed it by impatiently transplanting the damned thing from a pot after leaving said pot out in a very exposed place during a terrible winter storm which saw it embedded in ice. It started to die back in spring so I pruned it drastically. It lived but then I fretted so much I transplanted it to the garden my buddy and I were making in July. Why? Who knows, it was a completely moronic thing, I should have waited until Sept/Oct. Thus I killed it.

In bloom this damned thing was awesome. I had it in a 15 inch container in front of the house in Brooklyn. The kids on the block used to come and smell it, ask what it was, ask if they could have it, and amazingly enough they steered well away from it while they played ball. And no, I had not yelled at them or anything like that. I asked why they were so carefull of this rose, and 10-12 year old boys said it was so pretty they were afraid they'd break it!!! they meant it too. It is a gorgeous flower, pure white, on a plant with matte grey green foliage which stayed healthy all season. As for the scent it is simply superb.

This and alba maxima are fantastic white roses. unfortunately it blooms but once, but if it's any consolation it has cool hips. Alba roses are an odd bunch, most of them are pink, not white---and the modern hybrids out of Germany are very vibrantly colored indeed, there is a brilliant red which has to be seen to be believed. You can ID the modern hybrids by their foliage, it's absolutely ALBA foliage.

I will post more of this Alba class tomorrow, but for now, I'll add one or 2 other types below....we aren't in school, no reason to be strict!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 03:51:35 AM by brokeback_1 »
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe but nothing could be done about it, & if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2007, 03:28:23 AM »
To backtrack---i found this picture of l'Imperatrice Josephine, the gallica, which was so nice thought I'd add it for you guys.....

There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe but nothing could be done about it, & if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2007, 03:43:53 AM »
I found some very old Hybrid Tea roses online. I saw this one when i was at Kew in what, 98<?> during the worse weather England had in 200 years or something. Miserable year, climactically, which made ME miserable half the time. But Lady Mary Fitzwilliam was not miserable. It was hybridised in 1882. It's still available commercially, too, but you will never find it in your local nursery. Stuff like this has to be ordered by mail, unless you are within driving distance of a good nursery that is!.

But this is a gorgeous rose. If you look at it closely you can see how it differs from the more modern HT roses. It's somewhat plumper, softer and more romantic. Now that's a word which I hesitate to use but the old HT roses deserve it as they ARE quite romantic looking.What you can't see is the healthiness of the plant bearing the flower. [the only modern HT I can think of  which remains spectacularly healthy under all and any conditions is 'Rosalynn Carter'; that is one good rose!] This rose has a healthy shrub, no defoliation, so it is stronger and needs much less fertiliser etc.

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2007, 03:41:27 PM »
For my own curiosity, when did the term "tea rose" come about, and how far back do they go?

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2007, 05:20:14 PM »
The traditional explanation is that they arrived from the east to London on Tea Clippers, and smelled of the other cargo--the tea.

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2007, 05:48:23 PM »
Hadn't heard that, thanks!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2007, 11:46:29 PM »
Another Alba. Princesse de Lamballe is a collector's rose. Exquisite in all ways, from the subtlety of its coloration to the length of its'  flowering[ another once bloomer, 5-6 weeks] to the health of the plant. It will fit anywhere, it's small, 3x3. It has the grey=green alba leaf structure and did I say it's healthy?? Well I'm saying it again. It's a rose which fits well into a perennial border, I know someone who allows a late blooming dwarf clematis to grow through it, thus making the plant do double duty.

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2007, 11:55:24 PM »
This is called 'Crimson Blush'; a fairly new Alba rose dating from 1988. It's  a hybrid actually using the Alba as one of the parents. It's also boasts a drop dead red bloom with excellent flower structure and in the main this plant has good health: towards late August it will look tired on last years wood, but that is also hidden by the NEW growth so it evens out. It can get blackspot on that old wood. By old wood I mean the branches/canes which had blooms. It will throw off a few summer flowers after it's established but not enough to call it a repeat bloomer. This is--yes, to you fritz--a German rose. Some fellow in Holstein< I think> is producing hybrids using the Alba as parent and I don't know why it took so long for someone to do that; the Alba class is a standout in every way possible. I think it was in response to david austin's 'English' roses...only time will tell if THOSE are goin a last! I have a bias against them.

Anyway, look for hybrid alba roses in an i-net search.You will find about 15 beauties. Almost all are commercially available in the US.

ACHTUNG!!!!
The Germans are doing a very very good job hybridising these,  and doing it with classic North German efficiency. Those plants WORK.  lolol

« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 12:04:29 AM by brokeback_1 »

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2007, 12:01:33 AM »
Here we have La Belle Amour, one of the many pink alba roses. [It's pretty funny in a way; alba means white, so we are talking about the pink white rose called la Belle Amour lol]
It's beautiful, has quartering which shows it to be 19th century and on a 1-10 scale the scent rates about 7. In other words there are a lot of Alba's more fragrant, most of that class rates a 10. but this one is still very pretty....

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2007, 12:35:27 AM »

I have never seen this alba rose, anywhere, This does not mean it's rare, just that I've never seen it. The name is 'Chloris', it's French and I THINK early 19th century. What i found online said it was a 4x4 foot shrub, it's of course a once bloomer and pink.
By the way, there are a lot of roses to go through and a lot of continual or monthly bloomers. too. I'm just going on a sort of historical yardstick--not a very strict one--when i post. but every one of these is worth having and can do wonders in a perennil border, especially if you make the shrub do double duty and allow a summer/fall blooming vine to grow into the larger shrubs.  They make decent statements all by themselves, the foliage alone distinguishes them from modern roses.

Offline cabin

• Obsessed
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2007, 09:56:37 AM »
Interesting article on Roses for San Antonio in this morning paper and available at the link below (mostly pics for the webpage):

http://www.mysanantonio.com/salife/gardening/stories/MYSA021007.1P.roses.963745.html

I've seen the Fairy and Mutabilis  and they are very nice looking bushes.  Mutabilis especially.   But that's me since I like mostly these single layer petals.

Offline cabin

• Obsessed
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2007, 10:04:44 AM »

Both of these photos are of one of my favorite roses:
Rosa alba x 'semi-plena'

A long time ago i ordered it from Wayside Gardens because I was enamoured of the name. Eventually, i killed it by impatiently transplanting the damned thing from a pot after leaving said pot out in a very exposed place during a terrible winter storm which saw it embedded in ice. It started to die back in spring so I pruned it drastically. It lived but then I fretted so much I transplanted it to the garden my buddy and I were making in July. Why? Who knows, it was a completely moronic thing, I should have waited until Sept/Oct. Thus I killed it.

In bloom this damned thing was awesome. I had it in a 15 inch container in front of the house in Brooklyn. The kids on the block used to come and smell it, ask what it was, ask if they could have it, and amazingly enough they steered well away from it while they played ball. And no, I had not yelled at them or anything like that. I asked why they were so carefull of this rose, and 10-12 year old boys said it was so pretty they were afraid they'd break it!!! they meant it too. It is a gorgeous flower, pure white, on a plant with matte grey green foliage which stayed healthy all season. As for the scent it is simply superb.

This and alba maxima are fantastic white roses. unfortunately it blooms but once, but if it's any consolation it has cool hips. Alba roses are an odd bunch, most of them are pink, not white---and the modern hybrids out of Germany are very vibrantly colored indeed, there is a brilliant red which has to be seen to be believed. You can ID the modern hybrids by their foliage, it's absolutely ALBA foliage.

I will post more of this Alba class tomorrow, but for now, I'll add one or 2 other types below....we aren't in school, no reason to be strict!

It is a beautiful one, indeed.  And thanks for the story regarding the kids being careful playing ball away from it.   Nice while you had it.  Did you ever replace it?

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2007, 11:03:06 AM »
nope

Offline Boris

• The Iceman melteth
  • Obsessed
  • I was just thinkin' out loud.
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2007, 12:27:03 PM »
"A theater is the most important sort of house in the world, because that's where people are shown what they could be if they wanted, and what they'd liked to be if they dared, and what they really are." -Tove Jansson-

Offline annabel

• Obsessed
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2007, 01:57:54 PM »
I saw on TV today these rainbow roses!  They were really, really pretty. Each petal was a different color.