The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Rose Garden  (Read 55717 times)

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
Re: The Rose Garden
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2007, 02:25:50 AM »
very cool annabel!!!

and Jari thanks for the valentine rose....
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe but nothing could be done about it, & if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it

Offline rosa

• Expert
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2007, 01:47:14 AM »
I only just realised that this thread exists....what a great idea, and thanks BB_1 for the information and the lovely pictures.  I totally agree about the old roses - I grow several and they are wonderfully hardy, resilient and easy to grow.  I found a phrase a while ago for my kind of gardening - garden with nature rather than against nature - so my roses only get a prune in the winter if they're getting too straggly, or taking over too much space, and if I can be bothered.........I'm going to have to cut back Souvenir de La Malmaison in the winter, otherwise the guy who comes to read the electricity meter will need a chainsaw to hack his way to the meter box  :D.  But I never spray them with anything, and I only feed them organic fertiliser,  and they are so much more beautiful, and perfumed, and - classy - than the modern hybrids.  I love Fantin Latour, and Albertine, and Marie de Blois, and General Schablikine, and Rosa Mundi.....the David Austin roses are lovely, but I suspect them of being a bit fake - sort of antique reproduction roses......it sounds like snobbery, but since an old rose costs no more than a scentless, violently- coloured, disease-prone plant named after some famous person we already know too much about...why not have the real thing?

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2007, 05:05:42 AM »
Roas i have a bias against the Austen roses. They're good, but yes, they are fake. plus the advertising makes you thing they go and grow everywhere and they dont. Othello is supremely beautiful but I can't be bugged by a r5ose that --at least for me--throws off about 5 blooms a year, it's not worth it. Graham thomas is lovely but shatters very fast. Abraham darby is a cool color on a shrub which defoliates.

Souvenir de la malmaison? Do you have the climbing form?
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe but nothing could be done about it, & if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it

Offline rosa

• Expert
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2007, 11:07:38 PM »
Just got back here - yes, a climber, absolutely prolific flowering but if it rains at the wrong time, the flowers just ball up and rot without opening properly.  However, it's worth it because the flowers are huge and packed with petals, and the perfume is unmatched.  I can smell it coming up the path... and it seems to continue flowering for most of the summer, with fewer blooms,- not just one blast like most of the other old roses.  I do have one Austen rose - "Lucetta"- which does have very pretty flowers and has survived my benevolent neglect for a long time.  It doesn't produce a lot of blooms though, as you say.

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
  • Footsteps in my life....leave memories in my heart
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2007, 07:13:51 PM »
I didn't know this thread existed!!  wow...:)

I'm looking for a name of a rose that grows like a hugh bush,pink in color,and blooms all summer long till frost...the whole bush is just filled with roses.....my mom has this bush and I'm trying to start cuttings ...w/o success........many people have done so,what am I doing wrong? any suggestions?
RICKY MARTIN ,tu eres mi Kiki !

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2007, 08:25:37 PM »
I've been delinquent with this thread, and apologise!

It sounds like New Dawn Nellie, IF it is a really really big shrub. If it's a tall but narrow plant it's p-robably Queen Elisabeth, a floribunda. yes, there are thousands of roses, but unless one is a rose fancier it can be pretty easy at times to name them. Why? The roses in major commerce are relativery few.

Do you have a photo by chance?

My Old Roses did very very well this summer.  They set down roots and added a bit on top as well.

When we were gone for 2 months the modern roses died. The Old Roses simply stopped growing new canes, set down roots instead and survived. I keep promising photos and have yet to upload them....

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2007, 01:08:37 PM »
Thanks Jack...it may be New Dawn...I'll look it up....and nope,no pictures...I should get one though before the season is over...it's still full of roses!!

Nell ;D

Offline CANSTANDIT

• Obsessed
  • Special Brokeback Victims Unit
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2008, 07:55:28 PM »
Supposing anybody reads this, what do you think of the gallica roses?

I thought I'd post examples of different categories one at a time, say gallica today, Damask over the weekend, etc.

Have fun, this can be a very good thread!
I know next to squat about gardening; I did my own weeding and cutting for two years and gave up.
 But this thread is just hypnotic.
 I think the Gallica roses have the most interesting petals=kind of flat and un classically-rosy looking, to me, from the pics.  ;D being someone with very limited knowledge, Is there any particular way that the different petals affect how they bloom or stay? Lovely pics, people, really! Nice thread..
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 08:03:15 PM by CANSTANDIT »

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2008, 03:11:36 PM »
My first rose bush I planted in my front yard in honor of Jackie....the first flower...

I renamed it..."Mi Hermana".....(my sister)

Nellie

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2008, 03:12:41 PM »
Jack...this is the same rose bush I was telling you about...hope it's the same one or similar to my mom's rose bush...

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2008, 10:59:56 AM »
Same rose the next day...

Offline Elevation

• Obsessed
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2008, 04:51:13 AM »
My first rose bush I planted in my front yard in honor of Jackie....the first flower...

I renamed it..."Mi Hermana".....(my sister)

Nellie

Oh that is so sweet, ((((((Nellie)))))))! How lovely.  :-* :'( :-*
Well there's a bridge and there's a river that I still must cross...

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2009, 03:52:16 AM »

just marveling at this pretty photo!

did the roses lose out to the orchids? ;)

and where's the damn daffodil thread? :D

i've yet to see the rainbow rose in person... :(

Roses

by George Eliot

You love the roses - so do I. I wish
The sky would rain down roses, as they rain
From off the shaken bush. Why will it not?
Then all the valley would be pink and white
And soft to tread on. They would fall as light
As feathers, smelling sweet; and it would be
Like sleeping and like waking, all at once!

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2009, 09:57:28 AM »
I have to say that Jackie's rose bush is lovely...growing fast I just can't believe it....more pictures later..;D

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2009, 09:58:54 AM »
I have to say that Jackie's rose bush is lovely...growing fast I just can't believe it....more pictures later..;D