The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Poll

What period of gay history would you like to discuss first?

The fifties and sixties - before Stonewall
9 (50%)
Early Gay Liberation 1969 - 1975
2 (11.1%)
Political awakening 1975 - 1981
0 (0%)
The onset of AIDS 1981 - 1996
6 (33.3%)
Post Protease Inhibitors 1996 - Present
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: February 24, 2007, 01:59:08 AM

Author Topic: Gay History -- How We Got Here  (Read 311015 times)

Offline brian

• Obsessed
Re: Gay History -- How We Got Here
« Reply #1560 on: March 04, 2018, 08:48:02 PM »
I knew Peter De Waal and Bon (Peter Bonsall-Boone) well. I was sorry to read that Peter died recently, sadly am fairly sure before the gay marriage vote. I probably knew by sight some of the other names you mention. I was very lucky not to be caught up in the arrests of that first Sydney Gay Rights Parade in 1978. I had attended a homosexual rights conference that weekend when the decision was made to protest in a march. Permission had been granted but the police retracted the permission and that led to the arrests. Thankfully I chickened out and did not go as, if I had been arrested, it would have been the end of my career as a high school teacher (especially as I was teaching in a Catholic school but even State school teachers lost their jobs in those days).  I did feel awful though.
The cry was "out of the bars and into the streets" It was common knowledge that we were safe in the bars because the owners were paying the police but once out the door we had to be very careful. Even in 1980 I would drop holding hands with my partner as we went out the door.
In 1979 I did take part in the parade and there was no trouble with the police. Eventually it was moved from winter to the Sydney summer and became the Gay Mardi Gras  and now 40 years later, there is a police contingent in the parade. However even by about 1980/81 I remember taking part (I hired a matador's costume, not sure why :D) and having students come up to me. There was no surprise for them as I had been outed on National TV news in 1979 sitting in a gay rights meeting but, of course, I was not actually breaking the law by doing that. In 2015, the NSW State Parliament issued an apology as did the major newspaper who had printed the names of those arrested. I wrote an article in my blog at that time
http://brianaralph.blogspot.co.nz/2016/02/apology-to-78ers.html  and there is an interview with Peter and Bon posted there.
I have just been reading some of the earlier posts about the decriminalisation in England. When I first went to London in 1974, I remember thinking "I am legal" although I now know it was not as good as it seemed. We were not legal in NSW until 1984.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #1561 on: March 04, 2018, 09:37:27 PM »
I knew Peter De Waal and Bon (Peter Bonsall-Boone) well. I was sorry to read that Peter died recently, sadly am fairly sure before the gay marriage vote.

Yes unfortunately it was before the vote.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #1563 on: October 11, 2018, 11:48:25 AM »
That is wonderful.  I felt so privileged to attend the Cathedral for a Eucharist in 2014. The preacher was a transexual priest and Bishop Gene Robinson presided. He was kind enough to say he remembered me from when I spoke to him at a meeting (2009?) in my then church in Sydney. He and his then partner (husband?) stayed with a prominent lay assistant of our church. They had been at the Eucharist earlier but, although our church would have loved to have him take a part in the service, it would have brought down the wrath of the Archbishop of Sydney on our heads.
I particularly love the comment by Matthew's mother.
“We’ve given much thought to Matt’s final resting place, and we found the Washington National Cathedral is an ideal choice, as Matt loved the Episcopal church and felt welcomed by his church in Wyoming,”

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #1564 on: October 11, 2018, 05:07:36 PM »
Thanks for sharing that, Fritz!  I hadn't heard about it!

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1565 on: October 11, 2018, 07:04:47 PM »
Yes, fantastic news!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline heavenonearth

• Loyal HEATHEN
  • Obsessed
  • A Star is Born 1979-2008
« Reply #1566 on: October 16, 2018, 09:49:56 AM »
I just watched this amazing talk by Anne Hathaway on FB. I wanted to post somewhere and thought this might be the best thread. If it is not, please let me know and I will move it. I hope the link works, I took it off FB. I tried finding it online but was unsuccessful.

Anne Hathaway, you rock!

https://www.facebook.com/NowThisNews/videos/1876173112511347/

I would like to add that it becomes clearer with time as to why the four main leads in BBM were the ones chosen. They are a powerhouse behind the movie's message. There are no coincidences.
I know a love that will never grow old.