The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Is society really as accepting as it claims?  (Read 355705 times)

Offline lislis

• Expert
Re: Is society really as accepting as it claims?
« Reply #3000 on: March 04, 2017, 08:35:30 PM »
http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/alabama-theater-refuses-show-beauty-beast-because-gay-character-n728856

A classic drive-in theater in northeast Alabama said it was cancelling plans to show Disney's new Beauty & the Beast film, about a girl who falls in love with an animal, because of the film's "homosexual character."

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #3001 on: March 05, 2017, 09:35:45 AM »
Yeapper.. religious sanctioned hatred and bigotry remains alive and very well all over the world today. --> http://time.com/4691035/franklin-graham-beauty-and-the-beast-gay-character/

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #3002 on: March 13, 2017, 10:43:30 PM »
Just some good news. I am an avid reader of Tripadvisor, giving advice for NZ and sometimes other places I have visited as well as seeking advice for my own trips.
 Am currently following Vancouver and a person asked about crowds and traffic in August for Gay Pride Festival. The person comes from Los Angeles, has teenagers but only apparent concern was driving into Vancouver and finding hotel in traffic. The replies were relevant to that request but then one person told  them something like not taking family there on such a day with disgusting alternative lifestyles. I reported the post and Tripadvisor have blocked it. Good for Tripadvisor.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3003 on: March 14, 2017, 09:41:32 AM »
^^^

Good for Tripadvisor, and you, too, Brian!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3004 on: May 02, 2017, 12:46:07 PM »

Politicians:  Still thinking of LGBT people and their issues as political instead of human.

Of course, it's an uphill battle, but it's important that it was done at all:

Members of the House and Senate have just re-introduced the Equality Act!

With 195 cosponsors in the House and 46 in the Senate, the Equality Act would make sure discrimination based on an individual’s sexual orientation or gender identity is illegal under federal law. The bill would also guarantee that discrimination on the basis of sex will no longer be tolerated in federally funded programs and public places.

The patchwork of current protections isn’t enough. It leaves millions in the LGBTQ community subject to uncertainty and potential discrimination that impacts their safety and everyday life. This act – which has gained unprecedented support from major businesses including Apple, Google, Amazon and more than 80 others – grants protections for LGBTQ people in matters of employment, housing, access to public places, federally funded programs, credit, education and even jury service. Bucking a Trump White House, they’re saying no to hatred and discrimination.

If anyone's elected officials put their name on this bill, it might be a good idea to send them a thank you note on their websites!

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #3005 on: May 07, 2017, 03:01:10 PM »
Good news from one of our 2 big supermarket chains.

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/countdowns-transgender-policy-spectacular

Sadly I prefer their opposition for many reasons more to do with the shop layout and products than their employment policies. Hopefully New World supermarkets will follow suit.

Reading the news, I sometimes think I am lucky to live in a different universe here in NZ to the USA.