The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Is society really as accepting as it claims?  (Read 379830 times)

Offline lislis

• Expert
Re: Is society really as accepting as it claims?
« Reply #3000 on: March 04, 2017, 08:35:30 PM »
http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/alabama-theater-refuses-show-beauty-beast-because-gay-character-n728856

A classic drive-in theater in northeast Alabama said it was cancelling plans to show Disney's new Beauty & the Beast film, about a girl who falls in love with an animal, because of the film's "homosexual character."

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #3001 on: March 05, 2017, 09:35:45 AM »
Yeapper.. religious sanctioned hatred and bigotry remains alive and very well all over the world today. --> http://time.com/4691035/franklin-graham-beauty-and-the-beast-gay-character/

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #3002 on: March 13, 2017, 10:43:30 PM »
Just some good news. I am an avid reader of Tripadvisor, giving advice for NZ and sometimes other places I have visited as well as seeking advice for my own trips.
 Am currently following Vancouver and a person asked about crowds and traffic in August for Gay Pride Festival. The person comes from Los Angeles, has teenagers but only apparent concern was driving into Vancouver and finding hotel in traffic. The replies were relevant to that request but then one person told  them something like not taking family there on such a day with disgusting alternative lifestyles. I reported the post and Tripadvisor have blocked it. Good for Tripadvisor.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3003 on: March 14, 2017, 09:41:32 AM »
^^^

Good for Tripadvisor, and you, too, Brian!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3004 on: May 02, 2017, 12:46:07 PM »

Politicians:  Still thinking of LGBT people and their issues as political instead of human.

Of course, it's an uphill battle, but it's important that it was done at all:

Members of the House and Senate have just re-introduced the Equality Act!

With 195 cosponsors in the House and 46 in the Senate, the Equality Act would make sure discrimination based on an individual’s sexual orientation or gender identity is illegal under federal law. The bill would also guarantee that discrimination on the basis of sex will no longer be tolerated in federally funded programs and public places.

The patchwork of current protections isn’t enough. It leaves millions in the LGBTQ community subject to uncertainty and potential discrimination that impacts their safety and everyday life. This act – which has gained unprecedented support from major businesses including Apple, Google, Amazon and more than 80 others – grants protections for LGBTQ people in matters of employment, housing, access to public places, federally funded programs, credit, education and even jury service. Bucking a Trump White House, they’re saying no to hatred and discrimination.

If anyone's elected officials put their name on this bill, it might be a good idea to send them a thank you note on their websites!

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #3005 on: May 07, 2017, 03:01:10 PM »
Good news from one of our 2 big supermarket chains.

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/countdowns-transgender-policy-spectacular

Sadly I prefer their opposition for many reasons more to do with the shop layout and products than their employment policies. Hopefully New World supermarkets will follow suit.

Reading the news, I sometimes think I am lucky to live in a different universe here in NZ to the USA.

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #3006 on: February 09, 2018, 10:53:11 PM »
Spark (the largest telco in NZ) has put out the following advertisement for Auckland Gay Pride week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlyl4FMOYn4
One customer sent a message that they were leaving the company to which Spark replied "Bye"
 ;D

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #3007 on: February 10, 2018, 12:04:03 AM »
Nice. Both the ad and the reaction from Spark.
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #3008 on: February 10, 2018, 06:29:50 AM »
Such people are so blinded by religious-induced hate, they cannot see the positive side of that message.  Bye is right and I'm glad he said it...sort of like Howard Schultz told the Starbucks' bigots....  V

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3009 on: February 10, 2018, 10:27:09 AM »

Over the years I've come to the conclusion it isn't necessarily "hate." Their attitudes can lead to hateful
things occurring, but so many people get caught up in the religious dogma that they just can't move away
from it. It's like someone telling them 1+1+1=3, but all their lives they were told 1+2=3. They don't
want to accept that both might be fine.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #3010 on: February 10, 2018, 11:19:43 AM »
Over the years I've come to the conclusion it isn't necessarily "hate." Their attitudes can lead to hateful
things occurring, but so many people get caught up in the religious dogma that they just can't move away
from it. It's like someone telling them 1+1+1=3, but all their lives they were told 1+2=3. They don't
want to accept that both might be fine.

True....but those same people often use their religious dogma to hide behind the hate... just like the Catholics.."we don't hate the sinner but the sin"... that's 100% total BS but it sounds "good..." Have we lost that much "free will" and the ability to think for ourselves... some people would call that a cult?   V.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3011 on: February 11, 2018, 01:31:18 PM »

I don't think we're very far apart when I said their "religious dogma" can lead to hate.
To those affected it feels like hate, but people can twist their logic, religious dogma or
otherwise, all sorts of ways.

My favorite example is during the election when religious people by the droves decided that
Trump was their choice and justified it by saying "sometimes God chooses a flawed person
to deliver his message."

That's when you have to really take a look at these people and condemn that idiocy.

It's like a discussion of DACA people I saw on TV recently. There were several people
in a group that were of the opinion that people came to this country illegally and brought
their children illegally, who are now DACA members, and these people are just of the opinion
that it doesn't matter. DACA members are here illegally and they should be deported. The
group discussion leader brought in some DACA members to tell their stories.  All of these
people who felt they should "still" be deported because they were brought here illegally did
not care that they didn't know any other country but the USA. They didn't care that they had
jobs, were paying taxes, etc. Didn't care that one of them was serving in the military of the
USA. To them it is just that "Rules are Rules and need to be followed or you suffer the consequences.

There are no shades of gray to any of these people and unfortunately that's why religious dogma that
is taught to people is so powerful. They don't think beyond "you are breaking the rules and that's that."

AND YET: Do they see the hypocrisy of their ideas when it comes to what the Republican party is doing
and Donald Trump?  No. They twist themselves into, what you called it, blatant cult (b.s.) status when
they support this cretin.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3012 on: March 16, 2018, 04:27:24 PM »
This just absolutely pisses me off no end!!! I  read it and said to myself "are you fu**ing kidding me??"

Texas Paper Removes Gay Man’s Husband from Mom’s Obituary for ‘Religious and Ethical’ Reasons

A Texas newspaper removed a reference to a gay man’s husband from his mother’s obituary and cited “religious” and “ethical” reasons.

Barry Giles and John Gambill are married and have been together for 31 years. When Giles’ mother died, he submitted an obituary to the local paper, the Olton Enterprise. The paper removed references to Gambill.

http://www.towleroad.com/2018/03/gay-obituary/
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #3013 on: March 16, 2018, 04:33:51 PM »
Grrr.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #3014 on: March 16, 2018, 04:36:18 PM »
What assholes.

If you have a Facebook page and want to express yourself about this, the paper has a FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/The-Olton-Enterprise-312499497003/reviews/