The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Is society really as accepting as it claims?  (Read 392662 times)

Offline brian

• Obsessed
Re: Is society really as accepting as it claims?
« Reply #3030 on: November 27, 2018, 09:12:07 PM »
Wow, catholic schools have changed since my childhood! That's really nice, Brian.
I have just watched his whole speech. Amazing young man. I was out as a teacher in a Senior Catholic School from 1980 to 1990 but I was outed by a television station. I could not have got up and discussed it in front of the whole school. Some boys came and outed themselves to me and I have received 1 or 2 anonymous emails from boys who told me I helped them by being out.  However how wonderful it would be for a young guy, struggling with knowledge of his sexuality, to hear this young man speak openly to the whole school  and receive a standing ovation from all the boys and teachers.
I taught with De la Salle Brothers and they were supportive but I think the Principals would have preferred I was elsewhere. I met Jesuits at conferences and they always impressed me. The current Pope is a Jesuit.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3031 on: January 29, 2019, 01:27:57 PM »

'Empire' Star Jussie Smollett Beaten in Racist and Homophobic Attack By MAGA Supporters

"Empire" actor Jussie Smollett was attacked in the early morning hours on Tuesday in what Chicago police are calling a possible hate crime. Smollett was attacked by two people "yelling out racial and homophobic slurs" and "poured an unknown chemical substance on the victim," police said.

According to police, one of Smollett's alleged attackers also put a rope around his neck. Both fled the scene. Smollett took himself to Northwestern Hospital and "is in good condition," police told CNN. Later Tuesday, CNN's Don Lemon spoke to Smollett and a mutual friend who was at the hospital with the actor. Smollett confirmed the incident took place. He was shaken and angry that an attack like this could happen. Smollett told CNN he fought back at the attackers.

"Given the severity of the allegations, we are taking this investigation very seriously and treating it as a possible hate crime," the police statement said.

http://www.towleroad.com/2019/01/jussie-smollett-attack/

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #3032 on: February 04, 2019, 02:40:55 PM »
The paper’s owner is religious / Baptist who’s invoking "his right to censor" people out of existence - all just because he disagrees.  Hmm, sounds pretty radical to me?  What ever happens to "love thy neighbor?"  I'll wager the paper does not censor heterosexual death or marriage announcements for people who’ve been married more than once by only printing their first spouse in obituaries or refusing to run a wedding announcement if either in the heterosexual couple has been married more than once. There are plenty to scriptures to counter what that man is doing, and scriptures against divorce as well. Funny, how conveniently they also ignore those when they don't fit their agenda.

Hypocrisy and bigotry are often on prime display by people hiding behind their "religious beliefs."  That is why that agenda is such a dangerous slope - for everyone!  Later, V.

Wow, just wow.  This guy would actually omit this man's husband from his mother's obituary.  I wonder if he would refuse to include the romantic and sexual partner of an unmarried heterosexual person, not that I would agree with that either.  People always use their religious beliefs as an excuse to try and justify their prejudices and its just maddening.  Follow the bad bits and ignore some of the good, that is what religious fundamentalists tend to do.  What this newspaper owner did is not surprising, but it is absurd just the same.  I don't give a flying flip about his or the religious and/or moral views of his readers.  What he did to those men is immoral to me.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #3033 on: February 04, 2019, 02:42:05 PM »
'Empire' Star Jussie Smollett Beaten in Racist and Homophobic Attack By MAGA Supporters

"Empire" actor Jussie Smollett was attacked in the early morning hours on Tuesday in what Chicago police are calling a possible hate crime. Smollett was attacked by two people "yelling out racial and homophobic slurs" and "poured an unknown chemical substance on the victim," police said.

According to police, one of Smollett's alleged attackers also put a rope around his neck. Both fled the scene. Smollett took himself to Northwestern Hospital and "is in good condition," police told CNN. Later Tuesday, CNN's Don Lemon spoke to Smollett and a mutual friend who was at the hospital with the actor. Smollett confirmed the incident took place. He was shaken and angry that an attack like this could happen. Smollett told CNN he fought back at the attackers.

"Given the severity of the allegations, we are taking this investigation very seriously and treating it as a possible hate crime," the police statement said.

http://www.towleroad.com/2019/01/jussie-smollett-attack/

I hope he is doing well after surviving that horrible attack.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #3034 on: February 04, 2019, 06:00:37 PM »

I hope he is doing well after surviving that horrible attack.

He's making public appearances again.