The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: LGBTQ related news and issues  (Read 707696 times)

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
Re: is society really as accepting as it claims?
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2007, 05:46:05 PM »
heres how un cool i am and another thread drift, i didnt even know what photoshop was until here. lol. i wish i knew how to do it, me and some smexy sandra would be filling out an album in no time  ;D ;) :-*

back to your regular scheduled thread

don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me?  ;)

FUNGURL

Offline shelber

• skilled at slacking
  • Obsessed
  • had the greatest 2 weeks
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2007, 05:48:48 PM »
heres how un cool i am and another thread drift, i didnt even know what photoshop was until here. lol. i wish i knew how to do it, me and some smexy sandra would be filling out an album in no time  ;D ;) :-*

back to your regular scheduled thread

don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me?  ;)

ahhhh lola i think i may have a weensy teensy bit fallen for ya!!! sandra is hot

but now jeanine is smoldery hawwwwwt, lol put me in the middle and call me a shelly sandwich, lol thanks for the photo!!!  :-*
So I'm going home,
Back to the place where I belong,
And where your love has always been enough for me.~ daughtry

Offline merrobot

• Obsessed
  • Bar Fly
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2007, 05:50:45 PM »
penny what a great reply! thanks  :-*

here is something that i heard my own mother say

she was working and happens to work with a young man that she affectionately calls the flaming faggot, he was talking about him and his boyfriend wanting to adopt. well she came to the house almost sputtering, because how terrible for a child to be adopted by "those people"

which you know didnt really endure me to telling her that her own daughter was in face "one of those people"  :)

Oh, that's a tough one.  I don't know where you are at with telling your mother but I would hope that she would still see you as you, and that if you're "one of those people" then "those people" are probably fabulous after all!  But I know that isn't always the way it goes. 

Alan's mother had a hissy fit when he told her that he was dating me but she thinks I'm great now - time can be a great healer too  :D
"I've more than one membership
to more than one club
and I owe my life to the people that I love"
- Ani DiFranco, In or Out, Living in Clip

Offline Kelpersmek

• Experienced
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2007, 05:54:26 PM »
Actually, I don't keep a lot of my life anonymous and secret and the bits that I do, I do out of fear and shame. 

I don't think that is strictly true.

I think you keep a LOT of your life hidden our of practicality, caution and simply because some things are irrelevant to certain people.  You were the first person I heard use the term "inappropriate self-disclosure".

To me, privacy is important.  You can't disclose things about yourself with all the relevant background very easily.  If for example I was to disclose that in the past month I have built up a huge collection of pictures of legs on my PC, to post into a forum discussing themes surrounding a movie about gay cowboys, I don't most people would understand what that was about.  I'd have to explain first of all the BBM phenomenon, Penny's interest in the forum and community, my own foray into writing and getting to know a few people, the Bar, the Lex hour, the Legs Hour...  and even after all that they might still remain a bit dubious. 

Things only make sense in context, and it can be more effort trying to explain the whole context to people, than simply enjoying the freedom to have private things.  People can only form a relatively simple picture of "who you are" and privacy is a way of filtering out the things you don't want to have to explain to paint a working picture of what sort of person you are.

In yet another way, secrecy is important to keep yourself from harm.  There's a certain owner of winged monkeys who did her damndest to get our physical address: information I am not comfortable with sharing.  I guess that might be classed as "Fear" that some crazy person is going to cause us trouble, but I think merely that it is caution that stops people shring all the details of our private lives. 

Finally some secrets are fun to keep.  Example: 
Secret text: My secret is 'what I am going to be wearing when you stop refreshing this page and come to bed, sweetheart'   ;)

Night night folks!

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2007, 05:55:26 PM »
Merrobot my Mother (God love her) never knew any gay people.  But she loved Ellen and she said to me one day "I heard she was a lesbian" I said "yep"  She said "well they must be quite nice"  :D

Shelber now you will have me thinking about Sandra, although I see me more with Sharon Stone.  But I am probably more Kathy Bates type! lol

FUNGURL

Offline merrobot

• Obsessed
  • Bar Fly
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2007, 05:58:29 PM »
Merrobot my Mother (God love her) never knew any gay people.  But she loved Ellen and she said to me one day "I heard she was a lesbian" I said "yep"  She said "well they must be quite nice"  :D

Lol!  Good on your mother, Lola.  My granny read in one of the tabloids that Robbie Williams had said at one of his concerts that he was gay.  Her reaction was (I kid you not) "Now why did he say a thing like that - what woman is going to marry him now?"  ::)
to more than one club

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2007, 06:00:22 PM »
LOL that is funny!   Although he was convincing in Bird Cage.  I am probably the only person in the world who cried at that movie.  :'(

Actually Nathan Lane's character reminded me alot of my Mom! lol

FUNGURL

Offline shelber

• skilled at slacking
  • Obsessed
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2007, 06:03:15 PM »
here you go lola as you were so generous with the sandra photo

as for ellen, when my mom found out she was lesbian she said thats too bad her show was funny ::)

and one more for ya

So I'm going home,

Offline shelber

• skilled at slacking
  • Obsessed
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2007, 06:05:50 PM »

Oh, that's a tough one.  I don't know where you are at with telling your mother but I would hope that she would still see you as you, and that if you're "one of those people" then "those people" are probably fabulous after all!  But I know that isn't always the way it goes. 

Alan's mother had a hissy fit when he told her that he was dating me but she thinks I'm great now - time can be a great healer too  :D

i havent had the deisre to tell her, besides she snoops enough through my stuff that she probably knows already lol
So I'm going home,

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2007, 06:08:40 PM »
Lyle this is not the 50's or the 60's or the 70's, it is 2007!!!!   And the funny thing is, if he had said "hell yea I am gay" you would have believed it.  But he said "he wants to marry a women and have a family"  So you automatically assume that is for publicity.  I think you have to ask yourself why that is??

Yes, it's 2007 but things have not changed all that much IS MY POINT.  If so, Lance Bass and Neil Patrick Harris and T.R. Knight would have come out themselves and not been outed.

In the climate of this country I WOULD believe someone who comes out and says they are gay.  There is absolutely no reason that anyone would do that unless they are.  And it would be on the cover, not the inside.

Yet, there are many people who WON'T come out that ARE gay in 2007!  You seem to think that they will and I have told you about some who will NOT.  Why don't Richard Gere, John Travolta and Sean Hayes own up to their lives?  You know why.  Actors hire professional publicists for a reason.  So, for you to think that everything written in magazines and quoted by celebrities is fact, then you are simply naive.  And you must ask yourself why that is as well. 

Offline merrobot

• Obsessed
  • Bar Fly
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2007, 06:13:53 PM »
i havent had the deisre to tell her, besides she snoops enough through my stuff that she probably knows already lol

I can understand that.  When I was 15 I plastered my walls with kd lang posters but my mother still didn't want to see it! ::)

I'm really enjoying this discussion - thanks for starting this thread!  I have to go to bed now but hopefully there will be some more interesting comments for me to digest over breakfast!  :-*
to more than one club

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
You know the scarey thing about Sharon (looking at those pics) is her and I are the same age! lol

Lyle if you don't know the difference between coming out in 1950 and coming out in 2007, I don't know what to say.  And of course things have changed, OMG are you kidding me?  :-\

Maybe Richard Gere and John Travolta don't come out, because THEY AREN'T gay, there is a thought.

As for Sean Hayes, I don't know what he says.  Personally I always assumed he was gay.    Love him by the way!

And as TR said, he didn't think it was news, and he hoped it was not the most interesting thing about him.........which it isn't.

P.S.  I adore KD Lang, have you seen her lately, she looks sooooooooooo happy!

FUNGURL

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2007, 06:15:55 PM »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2007, 06:22:21 PM »
Lola, have you been processing ANYTHING I have been saying?  I will respond to one thing you wrote.

Maybe Richard Gere and John Travolta don't come out, because THEY AREN'T gay, there is a thought.

The director, John Schlesinger, who is gay, told me about Richard Gere and about his boyfriends on the set of Yanks among other things.  John Travolta has asked my waiter friend out on dates.  If that's not gay then nothing will convince you.  If you choose not to believe it, then you must ask why that is.

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2007, 06:26:12 PM »
Okay Lyle, I slept with Jake last night and he swore to me he is straight, if you don't believe it I have to ask why?   I don't listen to what people say about others, anyone can say anything.

FUNGURL