The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Favorite Quote (from the film or book)  (Read 258487 times)

Offline Melisande

• Chief Moderator
  • Obsessed
    • LiveJournal
Favorite Quote (from the film or book)
« on: January 09, 2006, 09:34:49 PM »
What is your favorite quote from the film or story? Why?

Thanks AvgGuyIA for suggesting this topic!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 01:09:46 PM by Dave Cullen »
let be, let be

Offline Scott88

• Experienced
Re: What is Your Favorite Quote From the Film or Story?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 09:50:34 PM »
You know, this often changes for me (depending on my mood, I suppose), but I find that I keep going back to this one...

Jack:  "You know, it could be like this...just like this...always."

For me, it's a lyrical statement that encapsulates what this story is about:   love, hope, and the tragedy of missed opportunity. 

Offline Melisande

• Chief Moderator
  • Obsessed
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 10:24:30 PM »
This is my favorite from the story. I'll have to see the movie again to decide on which I like best.  ;D

"I like doin it with women, yeah, but Jesus H., ain't nothin like this. I never had no thoughts a doin it with another guy except I sure wrang it out a hunderd times thinkin about you."

This is Ennis saying this. Showing so much of what he feels to Jack right here. Wrang it out a hunderd times? How many people would admit that to someone? Let themselves be so vulnerable? And the statement of how good it is with Jack. How it's not like that with anyone else. It just tears at my heart, to see him share this with Jack.

Plus, it's hot. And think of what a nice image it gives Jack to take away with him, for when he's wringing it out, thinking of Ennis.     
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 10:41:23 PM by Melisande »
let be, let be

Offline mdpsdca

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 10:45:47 PM »
'What I don't know won't get you hurt"...

Ennis' statement to Jack when,  after Jack has already told him that he has been doing this gal in Texas, mentions about going to Mexico to get relief (suggesting male sex)...Ennis isn't a bit bothered that Jack has been with a woman, but the thought of being with another man is something he cannot compete with or handle...

I think this is the one time in the film when Ennis, in his own remarkable way, is trying to get it through to Jack that he 'loves' him.

Offline andyincolorado

• Experienced
    • Andy's Home Page
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 10:46:43 PM »
This is unquestionably my favorite quote:

JACK
(looks at Ennis)
"Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so bad I can hardly stand it..."

How often I've had this same line as a thought in my head and was unable to speak out to someone I really cared for.
I envied Jack's ability to express himself when he really had to.
"Truth is....sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 11:14:03 PM »
They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected. Riding back in the treacherous, drunken light, he thought he’d never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

it would be so good to have a beloved for whom i had this feeling again.

jack
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline lena

• Experienced
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 09:12:49 AM »
my favorite jack lines (there are SO MANY,and i'm not going to get these perfect cause i'm typing this quickly at work so feel free to provide the exact quotes): "we got a bitch of an unsatisfactory situation here" and "i'm commutin' 4 hours a day"
just so freaking cute!

my favorite ennis line: "if this thing takes over us at the wrong place, and the wrong time..."
such a powerful delivery and so much going on in his eyes.

Offline lauren

• Obsessed
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 09:45:53 AM »

For now anyway, from the film, it's:

Jack: "What do you see up there in heaven?"

Ennis: "I'm sending up a prayer of thanks."

"For What?"

"That you didn't bring that that harmonica" 

"You know it could be like this, just like this, always."   

Offline Stuartwm

• Feet Wet
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 11:40:48 AM »
Jack in the motel:

"Swear to god I didn't know we was goin a get into this again--yeah, I did. Why I'm here. I fuckin knew it. Redlined all the way, couldn't get here fast enough."
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.

Offline Cambridge

• Feet Wet
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 12:51:27 PM »
Just came back from seeing it a third time (played hooky - long lunch hour) and my favorite's Ennis' simple statement from the porch down to the bottom of the stairs after four years apart: "Jack Fuckin' Twist".

There's about 1500 days of longing in those three words.

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 02:35:11 PM »
Jack in the motel:

"Swear to god I didn't know we was goin a get into this again--yeah, I did. Why I'm here. I fuckin knew it. Redlined all the way, couldn't get here fast enough."

stuart, you slut!!   ;)
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline cole4477

• Feet Wet
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 05:56:32 PM »
"we got a bitch of an unsatisfactory situation here"

I love this line, but i think its "What we got here is a god dammed bitch of an unsatisfactory situation"

I also love when Jack says "Sheeit...that's hard" and "Fast or slow..I just like the direction you're headed"

And what about "You shit down, you old son of a bitch...this is my house, this is my child and you are my guest.. you sit down before I knock your ignorant ass into next week."
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 06:11:07 PM by cole4477 »

Offline AvgGuyIA

• Getting Acquainted
  • "Alma? It ain't her fault."
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 06:03:05 PM »
Thank you Melisande for choosing my topic for its own thread.  I've enjoyed reading the previous ones and look forward to others sharing as well.

Well...as you can see in the text block under my name, I chose from the book: "Alma? It ain't her fault."  It's much the same in the movie, but since I've only seen it once, I forget the entire quote from the movie.  Why I chose that line is because it speaks volumes about me and my relationship with Mrs. AvgGuyIA.  You see, I'm Ennis...my wife has been married to meover 30 years.  We have kids all grown and out on their own.  Just me and the wife here now. 

We should be having the time of our lives and should have all along, but something's been holding me back and I have been holding back.  Something's missing in my life and I know it.  But because I've lived with her for so long, I just can't toss this life (bed I've made) away bringing her pain because our marriage has been a farce.  So I choose to continue on and living this lie.  Thankfully, I haven't found my Jack because I don't know if I could handle the pain.  It's bad enough living with regrets, but until the Mrs dies or I do, I don't see any changes in store for me.

This is a very powerful movie and the story speaks to Legions of men and women.

Offline sparky

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 06:55:02 PM »
It's got to be this:

"Jack, much older now, watches the pickup truck, and his other half, fade away into the distance, that dozy embrace solidified in his memory as the single moment of artless, charmed happiness in their separate and difficult lives."

Absolutely breaks my heart.

Offline lightsrays05

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 07:04:17 PM »
it'd be some sweet life.

For me that quote sums up the whole drama of the story...

The unfulfilled dreams. The hopes. The longing.

All in vain...

But looking for the quote I think I found the story available for FREE on the net:

http://www.wesjones.com/brokeback.htm

Have fun!

As much fun as Jack had hoped to have with Ennis, but "it never came to pass"....