The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Favorite Quote (from the film or book)  (Read 256018 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
Re: What is Your Favorite Quote From the Film or Story?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 07:27:13 PM »
there are way too many quotes that I love from this movie.

I will say that I loved the way Ennis would tease Jack.  The comments about the harmonica and rodeo cowboys were great.

Offline aceygirl

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 07:37:07 PM »
Indeed, there are SO many awesome quotes BOTH from the book and from the movie...

But one of the ones that really resonate for me is "If you can't fix it you gotta stand it." That sums up Ennis's philosophy of life for me. It's both admirable and tragic. One the one hand, he's pragmatic, he does what he thinks is necessary to keep himself and Jack safe. He tries to compromise by having the occasional trysts. Better something than nothing for Ennis. His more cautious way of things kept him alive where Jack's idealism and longing eventually killed him (or so it seems). Yet, in the end, nothing ventured, nothing gained for Ennis. He has the memory of Jack and the occasional trysts, but it's just a fraction of what they COULD have had. He stood it, but he never tried to fix it.

And in contrast to that, is Jack's quote "Never enough time, never enough." Jack was not content with the halfway, the "standing it." It just was not enough.

And then there's Cassie's quote: "Girls don't fall in love with fun!" (We might get infatuated or enamored with it, but that's not love!) Certainly that was true of EVERYONE who loved Ennis!

There's a book-only quote which is lovely, where Jack says the sky is so blue you might drown in it....

Oh... lord, I need to see the movie again....

Offline Carl

• Experienced
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 07:41:16 PM »
One of my favorite scenes, is early in the film where Ennis is talking about his brothers and sisters.  After a bit, Jack gives him that famous "look" out of the corner of his eye and Ennis says ..."whut".  Jack says "Friend, that's the most words you said in two weeks."; and Ennis says "that's the most words I've said in a year." Ennis is now ready to share.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 07:46:34 PM by Carl »

kumari

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2006, 08:18:12 PM »
From the short story:
...and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin.

The first time I read this line, my heart actually fluttered as if I was having my first kiss. Wow.

From the film:
This Kurt fella...Does he love you?

So sweet, so perfect. Ennis has learned something from his tremendous loss.

kumari

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2006, 08:25:34 PM »
Just came back from seeing it a third time (played hooky - long lunch hour) and my favorite's Ennis' simple statement from the porch down to the bottom of the stairs after four years apart: "Jack Fuckin' Twist".

There's about 1500 days of longing in those three words.

He actually calls him this a few times in the film and I love it every time.

Offline Stuartwm

• Feet Wet
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 09:00:26 PM »
Jack in the motel:

"Swear to god I didn't know we was goin a get into this again--yeah, I did. Why I'm here. I fuckin knew it. Redlined all the way, couldn't get here fast enough."

stuart, you slut!!   ;)

I prefer to say that I just have a lot of love to give.
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.

Offline Caroline

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2006, 10:04:45 PM »
The way that Ennis says "There ain't no reins on this one" the way that he emotes when he is saying this.. you can see that he has just said it from deep within his soul.. and then Jack reaches over and caresses his face... so devastating and hot too...

I can just imagine that they then went and made love by the fire.. " The sparks flying up with their truths and lies.. not for the first time.. and they rolled down into the dirt. One thing never changed: the brilliant charge of their infrequent couplings was charged by the sense of time flying, never enough time, never enough"
How strong a person is can be measured by what it takes to discourage them.... church sign, Trafalgar Rd, Georgetown, Ont Canada.. 01/30/2006

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2006, 10:55:38 PM »
I knew better than to peek in here. I knew better. *shakes head* I knew this thread would make me cry.

Offline sparky

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 03:32:52 AM »
One of my favorite scenes, is early in the film where Ennis is talking about his brothers and sisters.  After a bit, Jack gives him that famous "look" out of the corner of his eye and Ennis says ..."whut".  Jack says "Friend, that's the most words you said in two weeks."; and Ennis says "that's the most words I've said in a year." Ennis is now ready to share.

When he utters that "whut" in the film and looks at Jack with that little smirk, I swear I totally fall in love with him.

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2006, 04:00:36 AM »
hi sparky...

and in that one word, whut, he is acknowledging that he knows jack cares for him, for he has seen the love in jack's eyes, the adoration in jack's look.

ahhhhhhhh

been there remember that
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 04:17:03 AM by jack »
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline thomastom

• Virgin
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2006, 05:20:02 AM »
I think the line of the film that made my heart jump into my throat more than any other, was not a spoken line but a written one: Ennis' two-word response to the first postcard Jack sends him (suggesting they meet up again): you bet.

Just perfectly encapsulates Ennis' joy and excitement in a way that's 100% in keeping with his monosyllabic character.

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2006, 06:38:33 AM »
Too many to single out just one.  (someone want to start a poll in here???  )

"Never enough time, never enough."

the postcard Ennis sends w/ "You Bet" written on it.

in the book where Ennis feels like he could "paw the white outta the moon."

the dozy embrace scene where Ennis embraces Jack from behind, "You're asleep on your feet just like a horse.  My mom used to say that to me when I was little" and he starts humming a wordless tune from his childhood - a very fragile moment between them.

"lil darlin'" from the book.

ah....too many to name.  too many.
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline carljn

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2006, 07:21:21 AM »
"Jack, I swear --"

I just get chills when I remeber this line. 

Offline amdaz

• Jackoholicus Maximus
  • Obsessed
  • Forever Blue
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2006, 07:31:06 AM »
All of those things you people wrote.
But I love the little things too.
Just like when Ennis fuzz about the tent and Jack playing harmonica.
Ennis said " well if I got lucky that harmonica would have been broken too" and Jack had this HUGE grin on his face.
Again Ennis repeating the complaint about the harmonica after they separated the sheep.
"you gonna drive them away again if you don't stop" and the look of total love and indulgent he gave Jack always takes my breath away.

What a perfect movie.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 08:26:40 AM by amdaz »

Offline Cambridge

• Feet Wet
Four words from the story
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2006, 08:44:43 AM »
Which speak to me of Jack's inate goodness and never-ending hope, in his bittersweet remembrance of their one moment of unalloyed happiness, standing in Ennis' arms by the fire: "Let be. Let be." Jack never gives up on his dreams, and that's why I love him.

Or as another dreamer once wrote about still another, in the closing lines of "The Great Gatsby"

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.