The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Favorite Quote (from the film or book)  (Read 253114 times)

Offline Wayne SF

• Expert
Re: What is Your Favorite Quote From the Film or Story?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2006, 08:57:40 AM »
Hey, how about a vote board like some of the other threads.  Pick a few of the choice quotes and have people vote !! For Example:  It could be like this.  Just like this...always.  Or If you can't fix....or Friend, this is a  bitch of an unsatisfactory situation!!...or... Whaddya waitin' for cowboy?  A Matin' call?...And of course the winner...Jack, I swear...
...he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

Offline wjp58

• Experienced
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2006, 01:38:05 PM »
Story and movie: "I'd have 'em if you'd support 'em."
"There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe..."

Offline PetterG

• Obsessed
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2006, 02:24:15 PM »
'a pretended place where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring'

Laureen says this when she talks to Ennis about BBM.

This in combination with the last scene - Ennis alone, waiting until one day be united...

:'(  :'(  :'(
if you cannot fix it - you've gotta stand it
if you cannot stand it - you gotta fix it

Offline Sarge

• Experienced
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2006, 03:32:23 PM »
'a pretended place where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring'

Laureen says this when she talks to Ennis about BBM.

This in combination with the last scene - Ennis alone, waiting until one day be united

:'(  :'(  :'(
     "Oh the buzzin' of the bees in the cinnamon trees, the soda water fountain; where the whiskey springs and the bluebird sings in the Big Rock Candy Mountain"

Offline ottoblom

• Experienced
    • website
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2006, 04:29:03 PM »
One of the boomerang lines in the film is Ennis looking up into the stars and saying he's thankful, Jack asking for what, and Ennis saying, "you didn't bring that harmonica.  I like the peace and quiet."  It's funny, and touching because we know what Ennis is really thankful for, but it's also kind of tragic because Ennis never really says it and Jack never really hears it . .

Offline mountain boy

• Cowpoke
  • Obsessed
  • Thou not speakest thy truest love
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2006, 05:15:53 PM »
Gun's goin off

:P   :-*   :)

Offline otterlove

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2006, 05:34:42 PM »
I love this forum, just going back over the film in my head, flipping through the story again. If I can't stand it, I've gotta fix it: think I might take in a matinee this afternoon...

Favorites? There are so many memorable lines from both the story and the film. Something about the way country folk talk breaks through the bullshit of city living. The way the characters speak, saying so much with so few words, evoked so well in Annie Proulx's edited-to-within-an-inch-of-its-life story, burns the few words they do utter into the memory. Much about the film is sparse in the same way. There is lushness and fullness, too, in the landscape, the immensity of mountain and sky, rushing water, the power of the two protagonists' love for one another, but so much of the dialogue is really about what is left unsaid. I think this tension is what makes the film so affecting. Ang Lee plays his audience like a goddamn violin! It makes me think of Don Miguel Ruiz's "The Four Agreements," the first of which is "Be impeccable with your word." Ms. Proulx is impeccable with hers in the story, and Ang Lee with his in the film, his "word" being the language of cinema. I can't remember where I read it, some interview, someone recounts how Ang Lee would do Tai Chi in the morning while on set. I love that.

Sorry about the rhapsodizing. This film has really made me think. I start writing and it just comes out helter skelter. Should probably post a formal review, but I've got to see it again!

And then there's the lines when characters just come out and say what they really think, which comes as a kind of relief, given all the secrecy and hand-wringing. Here's one from the story:

The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap. Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts, and Jack said, "Christ, it got a be all that time a yours ahorseback makes it so goddamn good..."

Decidedly understated in the film, in this story of sexual and emotional frustration, this might be the one moment of, to borrow a phrase from cigarette advertising, "Pure Satisfaction"

Call me a hedonist.

"You want a switch?"

Offline otterlove

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2006, 06:00:02 PM »
Tryin not to beat a dead horse to death, but here's a note on my signature:

I love this line of Ennis's for several reasons. The bisexual irony is killer. But more than that, as I think about it, it's also an instance of Ennis's generosity. Here it is in the context of the story:

Jack came lagging in late one afternoon, drank his two bottles of beer cooled in a wet sack on the shady side of the tent, ate two bowls of stew, four of Ennis's stone biscuits, a can of peaches, rolled a smoke, watched the sun drop.

"I'm commutin four hours a day," he said morosely. "Come in for breakfast, go back to the sheep, evenin get em bedded down, come in for supper, go back to the sheep, spend half the night jumpin up and checkin for coyotes. By rights I should be spendin the night here. Aguirre got no right a make me do this."

"You want a switch?" said Ennis. "I wouldn't mind herdin. I wouldn't mind sleepin out there."

This offer changes the conditions of their relationship and allows it to unfold in a new direction. It's one of the many examples of Ennis's generous and pragmatic nature, contrasted with Jack's self-seeking opportunism and idealism.
"You want a switch?"

Offline shonuff07

• Experienced
  • " Do I look like I can afford a roping horse ? "
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2006, 07:04:56 PM »

" It could be like this. Just like this , Always . "

( didn't happen, so )

" Jack...( buttoning Jack's shirt up as if Jack was still in it, so lovingly....tears welling up....) , I swear.... "

( killer ).

4Sho
" Do I look like I can afford a roping horse ? "

kumari

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2006, 07:33:44 PM »
Gun's goin off

:P   :-*   :)

Hee, hee.
This line is my guilty pleasure in the book, like a J.Lo song or funnel cake.
Not really that good for you, but dammit, it tastes good!

kumari

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2006, 07:38:19 PM »
Tryin not to beat a dead horse to death, but here's a note on my signature:

I love this line of Ennis's for several reasons. The bisexual irony is killer. But more than that, as I think about it, it's also an instance of Ennis's generosity. Here it is in the context of the story:

Jack came lagging in late one afternoon, drank his two bottles of beer cooled in a wet sack on the shady side of the tent, ate two bowls of stew, four of Ennis's stone biscuits, a can of peaches, rolled a smoke, watched the sun drop.

"I'm commutin four hours a day," he said morosely. "Come in for breakfast, go back to the sheep, evenin get em bedded down, come in for supper, go back to the sheep, spend half the night jumpin up and checkin for coyotes. By rights I should be spendin the night here. Aguirre got no right a make me do this."

"You want a switch?" said Ennis. "I wouldn't mind herdin. I wouldn't mind sleepin out there."

This offer changes the conditions of their relationship and allows it to unfold in a new direction. It's one of the many examples of Ennis's generous and pragmatic nature, contrasted with Jack's self-seeking opportunism and idealism.

yin-yang, black hat-white hat, loquacious-laconic: there are so many examples of how they complement each other, thanx for pointing out more.

Offline caristocrat

• Virgin
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2006, 07:56:26 PM »
new to these forums, and sought it out because i am so haunted by this movie.

anyway - on topic re quote, ennis something along the lines of "it's because of you that i'm nothing, i'm nowhere".  jayzus keyrist, the pain and unbelievable anguish.  for me, this really brought home the true destruction that ennis felt.

many people have de-politicized this movie, but i think they're wrong and/or "incorrectly" motivated (i.e. this can't be a success if it's "only" a gay movie - it can be both).  the story works because it is a brilliant tale of forbidden love on a universal level, BUT it pounds it home because it strikes a contemporary socioliogical chord.  which is why the above quote is my favorite - it most vividly illustrates how homophobia destroys human lives on a profound and complete level.  it's so mind numbingly sad that it, well, numbs me.  AND it also applies to the women in the movie - they are devasted by the same forces.

whoah.  what a movie.  and i don't normally get like this!

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2006, 08:10:38 PM »
while there are so many great quotes in the movie and the book, my current favourite is the one shown in my current signature. in response to Alma Junior's telling him he needs more furniture in his trailer, Ennis says:
''A man who's got nuthin don't need nuthin.''

not only is it true, it also shows that Ennis now lives outside the 'normal' expectations and demands of society, as do i.
before Jack died, Ennis tried to be normal. and because he did, he's now got nuthin.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 08:14:00 PM by Lance »

Offline shonuff07

• Experienced
  • " Do I look like I can afford a roping horse ? "
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2006, 08:17:45 PM »
                    Hey.....Haunted,
that's the word I've been toting around as the description for it........good movie....3/4th's thru the lines were cool & subtle....then the ending somehow brings all the previously uttered lines back to haunt you.
Like a Ton of Bricks ( I can't stop saying that either.......) all these lines are weightier once it's over.
                                                "  This one ain't got no reigns on it either "

" Do I look like I can afford a roping horse ? "

Offline DeeGilles

• Experienced
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2006, 08:24:22 PM »
Not exactly a quote, per se, but I love the way Jack and Ennis refer to each other as 'Friend'.  Really sounds like a term of endearment coming from their mouths. 

And also "this is a bitch of an unsatisfactory situation".  Cuz it is.
I wish I knew how to quit ya.