The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Favorite Quote (from the film or book)  (Read 251005 times)

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
Re: What is Your Favorite Quote From the Film or Story?
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2006, 08:28:40 PM »
Gun's goin off

:P   :-*   :)

I love this one.

Wayne,
didn't you have this somewhere w/ something about 'pounding the ground' too?

I know it's not spoken, but I love Jake pounding the ground.  Very very good.
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline mountain boy

• Cowpoke
  • Obsessed
  • Thou not speakest thy truest love
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2006, 08:35:15 PM »
Gun's goin off

:P   :-*   :)
I love this one.

Wayne,
didn't you have this somewhere w/ something about 'pounding the ground' too?

I know it's not spoken, but I love Jake pounding the ground.  Very very good.
The really great line about pounding was by our own dear Jack! I was ... tasting ... Ang's line about how vigorously Jake got into the scene, and Jack comes out with

- spit and slick you'd pound on the floor too.

:P   :-[   :D  How does this man know me so well?!?!?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 09:48:46 PM by wdj »

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2006, 08:42:38 PM »

The really great line about pounding was by our own dear Jack! I was ... tasting ... Ang's line about how vigorously Jake got into the scene, and Jack comes out with

- Slick and spit and you'd be pounding too.

:P   :-[   :D  How does this man know me so well?!?!?

now we ALL know you that well.

surprisingly, that line works for me too. :P
"And when he shall die,

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline Ntkguy

• Feet Wet
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2006, 08:46:51 PM »
"There were only the two of them on the mountain, flying in the euphoric,bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and the crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below,suspended above ordinary affairs and distant from tame ranch dogs barking in the dark hours".  KInd of makes me think of heaven, and the fact that that first summer Jack and Ennis spent together was probably the closest to heaven that either of them got to.  KInd of ironic though because in the next sentence Annie describes Joe Aguirre watching them with his binoculars hinting that societies disapproving eye doomed their love from the get go.

Offline caristocrat

• Virgin
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2006, 08:51:27 PM »
it is heaven, and where they were was hell.

Offline mountain boy

• Cowpoke
  • Obsessed
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2006, 08:52:47 PM »
... Joe Aguirre watching them with his binoculars hinting that societies disapproving eye doomed their love from the get go.

(sorry for the re-post - these things are hard to make and you don't get many chances to use 'em!)

Offline andyincolorado

• Experienced
    • Andy's Home Page
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2006, 08:55:07 PM »
This description from the story, while not exactly a 'quote' is quite remarkable, describing one of Ennis and Jack's last meetings in May of 1983. As they both talked about their children, they moved closer to each other by the fire...
"Without getting up, Jack threw deadwood on the fire, the sparks flying up with their truths and lies, a few hot points of fire landing on their hands and faces, not for the first time, and they rolled down into the dirt. One thing never changed: the brilliant charge of their infrequent couplings was darkened by the sense of time flying, never enough time, never enough."
"Truth is....sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2006, 09:38:29 PM »
This description from the story, while not exactly a 'quote' is quite remarkable, describing one of Ennis and Jack's last meetings in May of 1983. As they both talked about their children, they moved closer to each other by the fire...
"Without getting up, Jack threw deadwood on the fire, the sparks flying up with their truths and lies, a few hot points of fire landing on their hands and faces, not for the first time, and they rolled down into the dirt. One thing never changed: the brilliant charge of their infrequent couplings was darkened by the sense of time flying, never enough time, never enough."

DAMN that makes me want to get down and do it in the dirt, with grit and spit and stray hair and the carotid smell of that hollow in the neck, and hands flying and beard stubble scratching, teeth banging together drawing lip's blood, ripping at shirt snaps, snatching of belts clean out of the loops, and on and down, exploring and tasting and loving.......

scuse me, gotta go now.
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline mountain boy

• Cowpoke
  • Obsessed
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2006, 09:51:53 PM »
All shoulda just stayed right here forever...

"Time to hit the hay, cowboy. I got a go. Come on, you're sleepin on your feet like a horse," and gave Jack a shake, a push, and went off in the darkness. Jack heard his spurs tremble as he mounted, the words "see you tomorrow," and the horse's shuddering snort, grind of hoof on stone.

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2006, 06:22:25 AM »

DAMN that makes me want to get down and do it in the dirt, with grit and spit and stray hair and the carotid smell of that hollow in the neck, and hands flying and beard stubble scratching, teeth banging together drawing lip's blood, ripping at shirt snaps, snatching of belts clean out of the loops, and on and down, exploring and tasting and loving.......

scuse me, gotta go now.

***tapes shut the care package of more batteries for Jack....***
"And when he shall die,

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline marius

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2006, 07:44:04 AM »
From the short story:
...and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin.

The first time I read this line, my heart actually fluttered as if I was having my first kiss. Wow.

From the film:
This Kurt fella...Does he love you?

So sweet, so perfect. Ennis has learned something from his tremendous loss.

Went to see the movie twice. Thought I went insanely sad. Had to talk to people around me. So I sent out dozens of emails.
Still, the sadness of the story is burned down somewhere in my heart.
Decided to buy the book and read the story.
And when I read "...and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." it actually brought back a smile on my face. That "little darlin" is all it meant to be the most powerful statement of Ennice's love for Jack.
So thanks to bring this up.
As for the film itself, I loved Jack's mom for telling Ennice to come to see her/them(with Twist Sr.) I could have kissed this woman to save me from total breakdown after learning Jack's death.
Can anyone tell me when both in the film and the book, what Ennice meant when he said at the end "...Jack, I swear.." ?
That might give me a sense of release and closure

Offline mountain boy

• Cowpoke
  • Obsessed
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2006, 07:44:37 AM »

scuse me, gotta go now.
Hohhhh yeah rollin with ya buddy!

imennisshesjack

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2006, 07:48:01 AM »
Jack in the motel:

"Swear to god I didn't know we was goin a get into this again--yeah, I did. Why I'm here. I fuckin knew it. Redlined all the way, couldn't get here fast enough."

stuart, you slut!!   ;)

Hey Jack, if Start's a slut, then I guess I am too.  ;)

I think "I wish I knew how to quit you" is pwoerful to me, but as someone else said, Ennis saying "Jack fuckin Twist!" with that big smile on his face just says it all.

Offline mountain boy

• Cowpoke
  • Obsessed
Short fuckin leash
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2006, 09:09:48 AM »
Going by the book: Count the damn few times we been together in twenty years. Measure the fuckin short leash you keep me on, then ask me about Mexico and then tell me you'll kill me for needin it and not hardly never gettin it.

I think in the picture show he says "and then tell me you'll kill me for needin somethin I don't hardly never get," which is also touching.

Offline rabbar

• Experienced
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2006, 03:19:53 PM »
I like the two instances of foreplay right before the scene in the story that "andyincolorado" cites:

"Jack broke the seal on a bottle of whiskey, took a long, hot swallow, exhaled forcefully, said, "That's  one a the two things I need right now," capped and tossed it to Ennis."

"The horses nickered in the darkness beyond the fire's circle of light. Ennis put his arm around Jack, pulled him close, said he saw his girls about once a month, Alma Jr, a shy 17 year old with his beanpole length. Francine, a  little live wire. Jack slid his cold hand between Ennis's legs, said he was worried about the boy who was, no doubt about it, dyslexic....etc."

That Jack!...Sucha predator!!... ::)