The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Favorite Quote (from the film or book)  (Read 251002 times)

Offline tarheel_david

• Getting Acquainted
Re: What is Your Favorite Quote From the Film or Story?
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2006, 04:16:26 PM »
Like everyone else, I have so many, but here's one from the story that makes me smile everytime:

"Three puppies belonging to one of the blue heelers went in a pack basket, the runt inside Jack's coat, for he loved a little dog."

I love the imagery of this as well as the insight it gives into the kind of person Jack is.

THDavid
"How can you just leave me standing, alone in a world that's so cold? Maybe I'm just too demanding. Maybe I'm just like my father, too bold. Maybe you're just like my mother. She's never satisfied. Why do we scream at each other? This is what it sounds like when doves cry."

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2006, 04:19:09 PM »
I like the two instances of foreplay right before the scene in the story that "andyincolorado" cites:

"Jack broke the seal on a bottle of whiskey, took a long, hot swallow, exhaled forcefully, said, "That's  one a the two things I need right now," capped and tossed it to Ennis."

"The horses nickered in the darkness beyond the fire's circle of light. Ennis put his arm around Jack, pulled him close, said he saw his girls about once a month, Alma Jr, a shy 17 year old with his beanpole length. Francine, a  little live wire. Jack slid his cold hand between Ennis's legs, said he was worried about the boy who was, no doubt about it, dyslexic....etc."

That Jack!...Sucha predator!!... ::)

well THERE you are!  did you get lost or something.  we'd have waited for you, but as you can see...

welcome back,

jack
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline Robert

• Experienced
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2006, 05:37:55 PM »
I love dozens of passages from the story, and some of the ones listed on this thread made my eyes sting:  "...for he loved a little dog,"
for instance.  Yes, of course I had read the story many times, but that little passage just wrung my heart when brought up here.

For me, the most wrenching passage is this one (which is part of one paragraph, and all of another.  It's just after Jack's big speech
about all they'll ever have is Brokeback:

"Ennis stood as if heart-shot, face gray and deep-lined, grimacing, eyes screwed shut, fists clenched, legs caving, hit the ground
on his knees.

"Jesus," said Jack.  "Ennis?"  But before he was out of the truck, trying to guess if it was a heart attack or the overflow of an in-
cendiary rage, Ennis was back on his feet, and somehow, as a coathanger is straightened to open a locked car and then bent again
to its original shape, they torqued things almost to where they had been, for what they'd said was no news.  Nothing ended, nothing
begun, nothing resolved."

And that's what I love mostl--the comparison of their relationship to a coathanger straightened, then bent again to its origianl shape.
Yes, they managed to torque things back, almost, almost to Brokeback.  Just dynamite, I think.

Offline rickpouch

• Expert
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2006, 05:50:43 PM »
"You Know, it could be like this.....just like this.always."
is one of my favorie lines.
And of course, "Jack. I swear.........

sigh

Offline rickpouch

• Expert
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2006, 05:51:47 PM »

sigh

Offline shonuff07

• Experienced
  • " Do I look like I can afford a roping horse ? "
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2006, 06:49:03 PM »

sigh

Yea, both of those kill Rick, both of them........I think it may be because the statements are both so open and hopeful....& that's what we look for in relationships......Hope.

Shonuff
" Do I look like I can afford a roping horse ? "

Offline ottoblom

• Experienced
    • website
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2006, 07:31:32 PM »
I mean, how amazing is it that people are citing lines, whispers, looks, scenes--dozens of them from this movie--remembering them, treasuring them, getting choked up about them . . when you can barely recall one thing from most movies you see an hour after you see them?

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2006, 07:40:03 PM »
if you want me, just whistle.  you know how to whistle don't you steve.. you just put your lips together and blow..

it wasn't that long ago we remembered lines like that.

Offline mountain boy

• Cowpoke
  • Obsessed
  • Thou not speakest thy truest love
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2006, 09:42:35 PM »
I mean, how amazing is it that people are citing lines, whispers, looks, scenes--dozens of them from this movie--remembering them, treasuring them, getting choked up about them . . when you can barely recall one thing from most movies you see an hour after you see them?
If it can't be said with a bbm aphorism, it probably doesn't really need to be said.

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2006, 09:44:37 PM »
If it can't be said with a bbm aphorism, it probably doesn't really need to be said.

now that's what i call a FAN!

Offline mountain boy

• Cowpoke
  • Obsessed
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2006, 09:52:58 PM »
Them boxes a soup are real hard to pack.

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2006, 10:06:27 PM »
you know how to whistle, don't you wayne?  you just put your lips together and blow.

Offline mountain boy

• Cowpoke
  • Obsessed
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2006, 10:11:11 PM »
you know how to whistle, don't you wayne?  you just put your lips together and blow.
Jack, I swear --

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2006, 10:32:47 PM »
Jack, I swear --

game set match

Offline mountain boy

• Cowpoke
  • Obsessed
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2006, 10:34:52 PM »
Jack, I swear --
game set match
Next round's on me Jack! This one I'm printing out for my wall.