The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Operarararara -Opera fans, why is it important to us - what about a BBM opera?  (Read 52254 times)

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed

Well you'll have to tell us what you are going to see, I PM'd Jonathan yesterday so he know about this thread  ;)

Our schedule:
Der Rosenkavalier
Don Giovanni
and
Iphegnie en Tauride

Jonathan has loaned me CDs of them all, along with the librettos, so I can figure out what's going on. I've listened to then on my opod as I take my walks but need to sit down and listen with the librettos in front of me. All I need is some uninterrupted quiet time. Anyone have any of that to loan me? ;)

- Lydia

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
Okay, how is this for coincidence?  Today I opened my mail at the library and someone has sent me a ticket for 'Iphigenie En Tauride.'  Now all I have to do is clear my schedule for that day!
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
It's not for Sunday, the 17th is it, Michael? :o If so, Jonathan and I will see you there!  :D

- Lydia

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
It's not for Sunday, the 17th is it, Michael? :o If so, Jonathan and I will see you there!  :D

- Lydia

Yep, it's for Sunday the 17th!  See you there!
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
Hmm... Ennis, suddenly transformed into a tenor, singing e lucevan le stelle. After his tragic suicide by public execution, a Greek tragic chorus of sheep delivers the epilogue. ;D

Puccini, definitely Puccini. The most tragic, and tear producing of them all. And the most beautiful music.

All in my opinion, of course.

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed

I'm just an opera beginner, but even I appreciate the beauty of e lucevan le stelle. The only live performance of it I've heard was by the East VIllage Opera Company, which may be a sacrilege to bring up here among true opera devotees. But I loved it then.

- Lydia
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 05:43:25 PM by KittyHawk »

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
ARRRGGHH!!

i just KNEW phillip glass would come up!

So...you coming to SF for the premier?

http://www.sfopera.com/opera.asp?o=252

And, of course, you could go to Stanford while you're here....

http://events.stanford.edu/events/115/11505/

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
are you suggesting i expand my v iewpoint to incorporate new data  ???  ;)

i still remember glass from the 70's, and even knowing that he has gotten more melodic, i hadn't heard anything to suggest he was other than a "modern" composer.  it is REMOTELY possible my data is dated.  :P  :-*
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
are you suggesting i expand my v iewpoint to incorporate new data  ???  ;)

i still remember glass from the 70's, and even knowing that he has gotten more melodic, i hadn't heard anything to suggest he was other than a "modern" composer.  it is REMOTELY possible my data is dated.  :P  :-*

Why no, Jack - I think BBM means you should data anyone you want.

I saw 'Satyagraha' in the late 80s and quite liked it - and I will be going to this opening as well (as soon as they release tickets for us non-season holders  >:().  I'm very eclectic in my tastes (SURPRISE!) - I like Puccini and Beethoven as well as Glass and Adams (I saw 'Doctor Atomic' and quite liked the staging - although I'd need to hear the music a few more times to make a decision).

Although after seeing 'Satyagraha' I kept singing 'Akhnaten like the real thing, baby' to myself.... ;)

Offline Nax

• The Captain Underpants Enigma
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
  • A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
    • naxfun.com
Hmm... Ennis, suddenly transformed into a tenor, singing e lucevan le stelle. After his tragic suicide by public execution, a Greek tragic chorus of sheep delivers the epilogue. ;D

Puccini, definitely Puccini. The most tragic, and tear producing of them all. And the most beautiful music.

All in my opinion, of course.

I'm with you on this one Lance - has to be Puccini but I see Laureen as a Motzart Queen of the Night figure with a calculator in her hand!

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
i wonder what un bel di would sound like sung by a baritone?

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
and for the record mr flanagan... MY musical tastes are eclectic;  yours are bizarre  :P  ;D

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
i wonder what un bel di would sound like sung by a baritone?

That final note lacks the ethereal pain of a soprano.

Offline Nax

• The Captain Underpants Enigma
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
  • A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
    • naxfun.com
Yeah I don't think a lot of arias translate well between the vocal types. Soprano Coloratura is not an easy feat to achieve for a bass or tenor - Maybe Milo can tell us different.

Offline milomorris

• Expert
  • Strength, Courage, Mastery, and Honor
Yeah I don't think a lot of arias translate well between the vocal types. Soprano Coloratura is not an easy feat to achieve for a bass or tenor - Maybe Milo can tell us different.

Nax is right. There are a number of reasons arias don't translate well between facher (voice types). Primarily, composers write for a specific color/weight of a voice. There are also various characteristics such as agility and squillo that vary between facher. While there are basses who have the agility to execute the rapid coloratura passages of, say, "Una voce poco fa" most do not. Secondarily there is the issue of vocal register. A tenor might be able to sing a bass aria up one octave, but he is likely to encounter register shifts that a bass would not. Again, different registers frequently produce different colors. Sometimes, though, alternate versions of arias--or in the case of WERTHER, and entire role--is written by the composer for more than one fach. WERTHER comes in a tenor version and a baritone version. Likewise, there is a version of Rosina in IL BARBIERE DI SIVIGLIA that was written for lyric soprano just so that Joan Sutherland would sound good singing it. In this case, as with many others, singing the original notes would not work well because the orchestration would tend to cover a lyric soprano, whereas lyric mezzo would be heard just fine.

Getting back to the agility issue, the tenors who can handle all that rapid florid writing are called lyrico lieggiero. Think of guys like Juan Diego Florez or Lawrence Brownlee. They excel in that kind of rep where spinto voices like Pavarotti or Domingo do not fare as well. In the basso fach, things are less specialized. But let's just say that you generally want a basso cantante for agility and pretty "high" notes, and a basso profundo for drama and hefty low notes.

Milo

P.S. I'm a basso cantante in case you're wondering.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.