The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)  (Read 966932 times)

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
Re: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)
« Reply #3810 on: December 10, 2017, 12:14:08 PM »
I've had this book for about 4 years but I couldn't get to grips with it after the first
few pages . So.....a few weeks ago I decided to give it another try. The book"Postcards"
written by Annie Proulx. I can't say I found it an easy read. The character" Loyal Blood
buries his dead girl under the rocks of a stone wall. For the next forty years....Loyal is on the run from this terrible crime, leaving him forever incapable aimless of touching another woman and sending him aimlessly across he American West"....so the the back cover says ! Sounds an easy read...but don't be fooled. I tried and to a certain extent...
was successful with reading it....but it just tended to go off at tangent's and left you wondering where you were or where you were supposed to be !!!!
What I have noticed about Annie's writing is she uses a lot of small statements and word like the ones we have heard and read in BBM.
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #3811 on: December 10, 2017, 01:09:53 PM »
If you are interested, our Book Club discussed Postcards beginning in June 2006. You can find the thread in the Book Club Archive.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #3812 on: December 13, 2017, 08:26:39 AM »
As for Call Me By your Name I'm really struggling with the novel. I don't know if its all the billowing shirts and espadrilles but I'm finding it insufferable. The only likeable character is the cook. I certainly hope the movie is better.

Oilgun, hope it’s ok that I’m answering this in Books instead of Gay Cinema.

I’ve said much of this before, but I’m now rereading CMBYN on Kindle and Audible. Of course I can’t unsee the film when reading the book (as in BBM) and now will never know how to detach my visual perception of the story (although the changes of setting and some events are easy for me to process). But in no way can I see it as "insufferable". To me it’s such a vivid evocation of desire, physical and emotional, and the almost enjoyable agony of first love, and of its reverberations in the future.

Peter (FoS), I know you read the book some time ago. Would you be able to say any more about how it felt to you?

ETA (no spoilers)
I do think the Rome section, not in the film, is overlong and doesn’t add much to the story, although the final brief part in New England most certainly does, even if it would be less appropriate at the end of the film.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:42:56 AM by Sara B »

Offline FoS

• Obsessed
« Reply #3813 on: December 13, 2017, 02:14:56 PM »
Call me by your name – and I will call you by mine.

I have had lovers call me by pet-names, and vise-versa, but to adopt each others personalities is, although quite common, also a bit controversial. Cannibalistic. 

As I have already written in the gay movie thread, I like the book as well as the movie so much, that they are competing with BBM in my appreciation.

Of course the two books are very different in style and lenght. Annie P.’s short story being, as we know, sparse, rough and told in third person, where as CMBYN is (mostly) told in first person, as a memoire by Elio, then 17 now 40ish.
And the story he remembers of his first and never forgotten love, is of course rather introspective and full of wandering teenage feelings and emotions, which I can understand can be tiring. But If you let yourself be 17 again and flow on those emotions the story will eventually grip you as something universal. Or at least it did me.

On an other level, André Aciman’s writing is just as unique as that of A.P.’s, although VERY different. His is almost like poetry – sentences which can be read (and reread) not only for their meaning, but also for their ”sound” or music.
(Sorry to say, I would have preferred Timothée C. to have read the audio book, as it is Elio’s story, and T has a more musical voice than Armie H., I find).

Finally, to me the book is foremost about memory.
Memories of things that has changed one's life, things which, although maybe cut short, will never be forgotten.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 01:38:44 AM by FoS »

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #3814 on: December 13, 2017, 03:04:06 PM »
Thanks so much for that, Peter. Yes, Elio's emotions are so intense, and the sensual images in the writing - of colour, heat, scent, texture and sound - all unite to convey his feelings to the reader.

I think Armie Hammer reads it very well, but it does seem quite perverse to have Elio's words conveyed by Oliver. If not Timothée, it would have been better to have chosen someone uninvolved with the acting.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #3815 on: December 27, 2017, 02:08:45 PM »
I'm taking a run at CMBYN.  I've read many positive reviews as well as reviews of the film for where it has opened.   I've also read many reviews on Amazon saying it was just awful. 

Any advice to those who have already read it?   The marginal reviews seem to say the written material is hard to follow.   V.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 03:43:39 PM by gattaca »

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #3816 on: December 27, 2017, 02:29:10 PM »
Look forward to hearing what you think of it, Vincent.

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #3817 on: December 29, 2017, 02:23:33 PM »
I'm taking a run at CMBYN.  I've read many positive reviews as well as reviews of the film for where it has opened.   I've also read many reviews on Amazon saying it was just awful. 

Any advice to those who have already read it?   The marginal reviews seem to say the written material is hard to follow.   V.

I've been struggling through the book for a couple of weeks now. I can't seem to get invested in the characters for some reason. I'm planning on seeing the film tomorrow.
"Yer fond of me lobster aint' ye? I seen it - yer fond of me lobster! Say it! Say it. Say it!" - The Lighthouse.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #3818 on: December 30, 2017, 05:38:35 AM »
Look forward to hearing what you think of it, Vincent.

Oh my, been surfing around and CMBYN film and novel look intense - spoilers in vids which are already getting to me. Be careful.  It may be a while before it opens here sadly.

Clips -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjCNVagh9Tw
Quotes -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjXt9ty-2_o 
Analysis -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTL7vZogm1Y
V.

Online ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #3819 on: January 16, 2018, 02:37:04 AM »

Do we need a special thread for CMBYN? I'm just wondering.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #3820 on: January 16, 2018, 02:46:23 AM »
Ok by me, though I’ve probably already said enough!

Online ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #3821 on: January 16, 2018, 03:17:45 AM »

Well, I decided to start this thread.

Please contribute there - of course it's till in the START YOUR OWN THREAD section, but I'm pretty sure that Chuck or Fritz or Linda might move it to this section.

WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3822 on: February 15, 2018, 07:17:09 PM »
I just read a book called "What Binds Us"  by Larry Benjamin. It is his first novel, and has written the allegorical novella "Vampire Rising", and "Unbroken", a gay novel, which was a 2014 Lambda Literary finalist and a 2014 IPPY Gold Medalist. His second book, "Damaged Angels", a collection of short stories was a 2013 Rainbow Award Runner-Up in the Best Gay Contemporary General Fiction category.

I just finished reading this book today and am still thinking about it and still drying my eyes. I knew nothing about the book or the author, but am so very glad I have discovered him.

This is a book that takes the reader gently through these turbulent years of 1977 to 1989. The three main characters are referred to numerous times as the 'sun', the 'earth', and the 'moon'. This will make sense to you once you get into the characters.

I don't want to say a whole lot about it, as the story needs to be experienced by the reader, drawing you into the lives and experiences of the 3 main characters and all the satellite characters. It is slow to evolve, but well worth sticking to the story as it progresses.

As you may have figured out, it takes place right before and during the height of the AIDS epidemic. It will wrench and tug at your heart, bringing great joy and deep sadness. Have tissues ready. Not many books make me cry, but this one did.

I highly recommend this book if you want a fully fleshed out story that the reader gets really involved in.

I plan on picking up his other books to read.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 07:30:27 PM by killersmom »
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #3823 on: February 16, 2018, 12:53:43 AM »
Thanks, Linda. I’ll definitely be looking into Larry Benjamin.

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3824 on: February 16, 2018, 12:30:44 PM »
Thanks, Linda. I’ll definitely be looking into Larry Benjamin.

I really think you will enjoy it, Sara. I'll let you know when I get the other books.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard