The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)  (Read 523719 times)

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
Re: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)
« Reply #3870 on: October 08, 2018, 02:20:04 AM »
^^^^^
You guys got me interested in Gale's other works.  The titles have not been real grabbers so they have languished on my kindle queue.

OK... In TNWY, how does that story compare to MIAOS?  Are the characters as likeable as Michael and Thomas or Adam and Steve? 
V.   

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #3871 on: October 08, 2018, 05:02:52 AM »
^^^^^
You guys got me interested in Gale's other works.  The titles have not been real grabbers so they have languished on my kindle queue.

OK... In TNWY, how does that story compare to MIAOS?  Are the characters as likeable as Michael and Thomas or Adam and Steve? 
V.   

I haven't had a chance to see MIAOS yet. There are a number of likeable characters in TNWY- the protagonist Eustace, his very likeable older gay mentor Louis and his partner, accompanist Ebrahim, his cello teacher Carla, his private schoolmate Vernon, Vernon's father and a group of straight working-class schoolmates at the comprehensive school, one of his exes, his old cellist friend Naomi, his new romantic interest, Theo and one character who quite surprisingly turns out to be admirably likeable when push comes to shove in the latter part of the book.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #3872 on: October 08, 2018, 05:34:11 AM »
Agreed! It’s all told from Eustace’s POV, partly his life from childhood, partly his present situation. I’m really trying not to give spoilers, but it’s a lot less overshadowed by tragedy than either MIAOS or A Place Called Winter, even though an outline of the plot might make you think otherwise! An optimistic book.
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #3873 on: October 08, 2018, 09:03:12 AM »
Agreed! It’s all told from Eustace’s POV, partly his life from childhood, partly his present situation. I’m really trying not to give spoilers, but it’s a lot less overshadowed by tragedy than either MIAOS or A Place Called Winter, even though an outline of the plot might make you think otherwise! An optimistic book.

It certainly concludes on a pleasurably and not unrealistically optimistic note !