The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)  (Read 961925 times)

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
Re: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)
« Reply #3900 on: May 02, 2019, 11:14:17 AM »
Looks great, Ingy, but I have the same problem as Sara!

Go ahead, both of you, you won't regret it.  :)   It's marvellous.

WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3901 on: May 02, 2019, 11:14:52 AM »

In French, in the original, it was a totally overwhelming experience. I couldn't stop - and I didn't want it to stop.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3902 on: May 02, 2019, 11:29:07 AM »
I saw a podcast yesterday covering Dustin Lance Black's latest efforts, "Mama’s Boy: A Story from Our Americas". It looks and sounds really good. I am going to read it.

Google Books:
A gay man and his disabled, homophobic mother bond despite their differences in this sometimes overwrought, sometimes luminous memoir. Black, the Oscar-winning screenwriter of Milk, centers his life story on his mother, Anne, a Louisiana share-cropper’s daughter whose legs were paralyzed by polio when she was two; thanks to her dogged work ethic and stoicism, she defied doctors’ predictions by learning to walk on crutches and bearing three children, weathered abusive husbands, and became a laboratory supervisor. Black’s emotional attachment to his mother was deep, but their membership in the Mormon Church made him hide his homosexuality from her; going on to film school, Hollywood, and marriage-equality activism, he worried that the gulf between him and his conservative clan might be unbridgeable. Black devotes much space to tremulous fretting over over his blue-on-red coming-out saga, but the results are not very dramatic: his family—even the Texarkana Baptist branch—takes the revelation well, and Anne, despite a few previous homophobic comments, is soon socializing with his gay friends. (Black’s bigger problem is with gay moderates who wanted to slow-walk the marriage movement.) But the book shines in its portrait of the vibrant, indomitable Anne trudging determinedly over every obstacle, and in intimate scenes of everyday family heartaches and triumphs against the odds.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3903 on: May 02, 2019, 01:38:42 PM »
In French, in the original, it was a totally overwhelming experience. I couldn't stop - and I didn't want it to stop.

Well, it's still not available in English. Should I read it in German? I wish I could do it in French!

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3904 on: May 02, 2019, 01:44:45 PM »

The German translation should be pretty good, since the translator is an excellent writer himself.
WISE UP

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #3905 on: May 02, 2019, 06:35:44 PM »
The German translation should be pretty good, since the translator is an excellent writer himself.

I just ordered it from Amazon / kindle in English and sprung for the Audible version so I can listen to it during my morning workout.  V.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #3906 on: May 02, 2019, 06:37:46 PM »
I saw a podcast yesterday covering Dustin Lance Black's latest efforts, "Mama’s Boy: A Story from Our Americas". It looks and sounds really good. I am going to read it.

Please let us know what you think!!  V.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3907 on: May 03, 2019, 01:31:34 AM »
I just ordered it from Amazon / kindle in English and sprung for the Audible version so I can listen to it during my morning workout.  V.

Oh, good!
WISE UP

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #3908 on: May 03, 2019, 01:45:00 AM »
Seems not to be available in English on Amazon UK till September.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3909 on: May 03, 2019, 02:29:57 AM »

I know. But you could put it on your wish read list. Or I can remind you.  ;)
WISE UP

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3910 on: May 03, 2019, 02:30:23 AM »

It's pretty easy in French, btw. You might want to give it a try.
WISE UP

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3911 on: May 03, 2019, 06:03:19 AM »
Please let us know what you think!!  V.

Will do, Vincent.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #3912 on: May 09, 2019, 05:43:50 PM »
I just finished "Lie with Me".  It was well written but not as complex as CMBYN... which would be an unfair comparison. 

Spoilers on:
When I got to the end, all I could think of is part of MIAOS.  I guess I'm a bit jaded from that one too.  I enjoyed "Lie with Me" and it can be a quick read.  It's not in your face explicit either.   I enjoyed it. 

Spoilers off:

I'm interested in reading what others think too.
Thanks for the recommendation.  V. 

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #3913 on: May 09, 2019, 11:04:33 PM »
This year I have been reading novels by John Boyne. I had bought and read 'The heart's invisible furies' last year. I gave it to my sister to read when she came over for my operation and she read it in about 2 days. (it takes me weeks to read a novel). We both saw 'The boy in the striped pyjamas' when I still lived in Sydney. Apparently 'The heart's invisible furies' was his first 'gay' novel. I have borrowed from the library 'A ladder to the skies' which he discusses in the interview below and was written since and has gay characters and includes one of the most conniving characters I have ever read in a novel. Uriah Heep is an angel in comparison  ;D
I also read 'This house is haunted' Gothic novels are not my thing and most recently 'The thief of time' which I thought rather ridiculous.
I was surprised last week to read he is coming to Dunedin to speak at our Writer's festival then disappointed to find he will be speaking tomorrow when I have tickets for the symphony.
Anyway have just found an interview on Breakfast TV this morning. Hope you can view it. The interviewer is not the best but beautiful Dunedin Harbour is in the background.
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/author-boy-in-striped-pyjamas-new-zealand-aucklands-writers-festival
I will need to look out for his latest book about a transgender teenager.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3914 on: May 15, 2019, 03:07:18 PM »

MIAOS?
WISE UP