The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)  (Read 969962 times)

Offline Rosewood

• Obsessed
Re: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)
« Reply #360 on: May 21, 2006, 04:11:22 PM »
I took "The Dreyfus Affair" out of my library yesterday and read the whole thing.  I thought it was very interesting and good.

I agree.
This is one of my all time favorite books!
Great love story.
Damned funny too.
Doggy hitman and all.
Touching as hell also.
A married Major Leagues shortstop suddenly finds himself in love with his second baseman.
Eye popping concept.
Written with just the right amount of zest and very little sentimentality.

Very talented author Peter Lefcourt says there's finally some serious interest in filming the book due mainly to the success of BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN.
He's working on the script now.
Good news indeed.
Can't wait to see who they cast as Randy and D.J.

A book I've just finished and loved to pieces is:

Christopher Moore's insane A DIRTY JOB.
The plot: Kind of looney, as all Moore's plots are. All about death and its minions and how to heal a broken heart, run a used clothing store, raise a quirky child, deal with the hounds of hell, all the while working for the Grim Reaper storing the souls of the dear departed. Not to mention, trying to save the world from the obscenely nasty ghouls of hell who are gathering in the San Francisco sewers.
Oh and did I mention the assortment of squirrel people?
Deliriously funny.
Yet at the same time, wonderously touching.
This guy is a national treasure.
If you haven't read him before, you're in for a special treat.
The guy is certifiable.
But in a good way.

Another good read:

THE FORGER by Paul Watkins
An author I've only just discovered. And WOW, what a find.
Where has this guy been?

This book takes place just before and during WWII. When the Germans occupied Paris.
At the time the Nazis were looting European art collections for masterpieces to send back to
Germany.

A young American student and gifted painter, David Halifax, becomes, of necessity, an inspired forger as France is overrrun by the Germans. He is 'recruited' by a mysterious underground group who talk him into forging copies of certain paintings which are then passed on as authentic to the Nazis. This dangerous work is carried on in complete stealth as not only are he and his friends dead men if the forgeries are discovered by the Germans, but they're also in danger from everyday Parisians themselves who assume David and his friends are nothing but dirty collaborators. In reality they're doing their duty to save France's artistic heritage. How they go about their business makes for a splendid, if harrowing, gut wrenching book.

The main thing I loved about THE FORGER is that these guys are not heroes. Far from it. Most of the time they're scared to death. But they do what they have to do - becoming heroes inspite of themselves.

An amazing book.

"Tut, tut, child," said the Duchess.
"Everything's got a moral if only you can find it."
                                                  Lewis Carroll

Offline annabel

• Obsessed
« Reply #361 on: May 23, 2006, 04:34:57 AM »
For total fluff, I really like Sarah Paretsky mysteries.

I just finished "Marley and Me".  Great book for dog lovers.

Offline Carissa

• Obsessed
  • Too young. too soon. too loved to be gone.
« Reply #362 on: May 23, 2006, 08:37:14 PM »
I took "The Dreyfus Affair" out of my library yesterday and read the whole thing.  I thought it was very interesting and good.
I agree.
This is one of my all time favorite books!

[snip]
I'm a huge baseball fan so I loved that aspect of it.  I loved the interaction with Dr. Faud and Randy's wife Susie.  I love when heasek her "what do you really want to do to your husband?" and she answers "I told you.  I want to help him, protect him, put my arms around him and hold him . . "  I got the impression of her that she still loved and cared for her husband at that point.   

Thanks for the suggestion. :)
Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
- Romeo and Juliet (Juliet at III, ii)

Offline Castro

• Obsessed
« Reply #363 on: May 26, 2006, 03:13:11 PM »
Fans of Patricia Nell Warren: this isn't a book yet, though it reads like preliminaries for one - or, better yet, for background notes on a screenplay, which could be really sumptuous.  I mean, gay men, gorgeous costume, and horses!:
http://outsports.com/history/georgevilliers.htm

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #364 on: June 01, 2006, 06:21:07 PM »
For those of you who are going to be joining us in the book club, a quick reminder:

We are now on countdown to discussion - we begin discussing the first quarter of the Postcards by Annie Proulx NEXT WEDNESDAY [6/07/06].
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Daphne and Chloe

« Reply #365 on: June 01, 2006, 06:47:15 PM »
"The Sweeter the Juice" by Shirlee Taylor Haizlip. Copyright 1994. I have recommended this book to quite a few people. It was written by the author for her mother who was a very light skinned black woman who had been abandoned by others in her family because she was just a little too dark and some of them could pass for white. It tells the story of this family and in the end how the author found her mothers sister and other members of the family who had no idea they had black relatives.

I'm white but as a person who has never felt like they fit into this world quite right books about others who are different always appeal to me. For example I thought this was a heartbreaking exerpt from the book: In the south the author's mother Margaret often had to ride in the back seat of the car when her husband and her traveled so it would look like he was chauffeuring his white employer or they could be harassed as the authors father was dark skinned.

I would highly recommend this book. It has been several years since I read it but it's on my to read again list.

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #366 on: June 05, 2006, 07:49:52 PM »
 During the last month, I decided to read some McMurtry. Remembering how i loved the tv production some years back of "Lonesome Dove," i was blown away by this book.  It is very long, but well worth the read if you like westerns. McMurtry won the Pulitizer.  BTW, some of his characters used the phrase, "I swear." throughout the book.

Also, read "Ned and Zeke" co-authored by McMurtry and Diana Ossana somewhere in the
'90s. This was the story of two Cherokee warriers post civil war whose parents, relatives had been part of relocation of the Indians to a new reservation during The Trail of Tears.

Wound up the month with a re-read of "The Power and the Glory" by Graham Greene. Intense and moving.

Oh well, had to get into practice for our book club; i also like to read!

Started "Postcards."  Looking forward to the discussons!
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #367 on: June 15, 2006, 11:17:35 PM »
i'm watching john updike on charlie rose.

i have seen so many interviews with this guy over the years, always so unimpressive. i don't know what it is about him, he seems to see . . . nothing.

i read Rabbit Run years ago and found it incredibly fake. and the writing bland. one day i've sworn to try some of his again. maybe i missed something.

right now he's talking out his ass about arabs and islam. i don't know where he got his ideas, but they don't match any people that i met in the middle east.

his Terrorist book seems like kind of a desperate grab for relevance.

i have always found him kind of sad. and annoying.

but maybe someday i'll discover something i missed completely and change my mind. i don't know.

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #368 on: June 15, 2006, 11:23:26 PM »
I've never been able to really get into John Updike books either

Philip Roth on the other hand; I love - I saw a review of his new book and look forward to reading it (someday when I have some time to read)

Has anyone read his new book Everyman?
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #369 on: June 16, 2006, 12:55:19 AM »
Both Updike and Roth were featured heavily on the 25 best books of the last 25 years in the N.Y. Times.

I haven't read any Philip Roth in a very long time, but liked him when I did.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline nova

• Experienced
« Reply #370 on: June 16, 2006, 05:07:11 AM »

Has anyone read any Tim Winton?  I picked up "Dirt Music" yesterday after reading that it's going to be made into a film starring Heath Ledger and Rachel Weisz.  I've seen quite a quite a bit of critical acclaim for his writing.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #371 on: June 16, 2006, 07:02:45 AM »
Playitagain, am busy reading in the moment "Arts and Letters" by Edmund White (articles collection). Wonderful essays, clever, full of gossip, smart, gay, cynical, precise. A great read.
Recommand the texts on YSL, Deneuve, Geffen, Elton John...
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline playitagain

• Sweet Life
  • Obsessed
  • just sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #372 on: June 16, 2006, 11:08:44 AM »
Playitagain, am busy reading in the moment "Arts and Letters" by Edmund White (articles collection). Wonderful essays, clever, full of gossip, smart, gay, cynical, precise. A great read.
Recommand the texts on YSL, Deneuve, Geffen, Elton John...

I have read Arts and Letters, yes, ate it up.  I can re-read White, even though oddly bored by much modern essay and novel.  When I get around to it I'll put together an E White library for myself.  Love EW for making holy all that lives - despite how some of his friends trust him not, because he'll say anything.

Love the guy! 

Thinking of Deneuve because I just wrote a birthday poem to a friend rhyming Deneuve and ouevre.  Yeah, I'll bet.  (I WOULD love to speak in a thousand tongues but am apparently hopelessly mired in "american, the language even cats and dogs can understand" (Marianne Moore) 

pia

« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 04:44:30 PM by playitagain »
"Why so serious?"

Offline playitagain

• Sweet Life
  • Obsessed
  • just sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #373 on: June 16, 2006, 11:12:11 AM »

i have always found him kind of sad. and annoying.

but maybe someday i'll discover something i missed completely and change my mind. i don't know.

I lov'd his first book, Poorhouse Fair, but nothing after that.  Esp annoyed - yeah that's a good description of my own response - by his recent art criticism which I think is presumptious and intensely disliked his book about the wife of an abstract expressionist painter, this also presumptious. 

"Why so serious?"

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #374 on: June 16, 2006, 12:07:59 PM »
Both Updike and Roth were featured heavily on the 25 best books of the last 25 years in the N.Y. Times.

yeah, that list was infuriating. and when i saw two of the voters on charlie rose, i knew why. more on that later.

i was thrilled to see three jewels on it, though: jesus' son, housekeeping and the things they carried.

(i never finished the latter, but the first essay in it is jaw-dropping. and seeing it on the list reminded me that i really should read the rest. i'm reading it now, along with "blink."