The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)  (Read 966082 times)

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
Re: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)
« Reply #465 on: September 19, 2006, 08:38:02 PM »
I read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy this year and it was unputdownable. It features two angel lovers whose gender is supposed to be ambiguous but no one here could imagine them as anything but men.  ;D It will be made into a film by the same production co. that did LoTR and it should be interesting to see who they cast as these angels (who don't wear robes, no siree...)

Offline Castro

• Obsessed
« Reply #466 on: September 19, 2006, 11:16:17 PM »
anyone catch oprah today? she devoted the entire hour to the gay ex-New Jersey governor, and his book, "The Confession."

http://www.amazon.com/Confession-James-E-McGreevey/dp/0060898623/sr=1-1/qid=1158719208/ref=sr_1_1/103-6208555-3536664?ie=UTF8&s=books

Yep; wouldn't have missed it for anything.  I was apprehensive; some excerpts were released early, and one in particular - re First Time with Golan - was cringeworthy, unless you understood that he was describing, in effect, a terribly belated adolescent experience.  And that would be pretty hard for most people, with more ordinary sexual histories, to grasp. 

But I thought, from some of the other quotes, and then from his demeanor today, that he's working doggedly and painfully to be honest, and not self-serving.  It's hard for an agnostic like me not to carp at so much godspeak - but I've known  Irish Catholics a few years older than he, and that ingrained code can be a ferocious burden.

He's sure to be turning up on some of the other talk shows.  I read that today was the release date for the book, and the Oprah interview was his first.  She's done several shows related to homosexuality; I've about decided that she already knows the answers to some of her questions, but is asking them on behalf of her audience, so to speak.

ETA:  And oh, yes: the boyfriend comes across as charming. 
ETA yet again: here's a long excerpt: http://newyorkmetro.com/news/politics/21340/

« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 01:34:50 PM by Castro »

Offline annabel

• Obsessed
« Reply #467 on: September 21, 2006, 05:06:23 AM »
One of the most beautifully written books I have ever read, and I swear I'm going to read it again was "My Antonia" by Willa Cather.  There was a paragraph she wrote in it about the laundry fluttering against the blue sky, I can't remember exactly what it said, but believe it or not, she took something so mundane, and made it seem lyrical.

Offline wkw

• Feet Wet
« Reply #468 on: September 21, 2006, 02:28:10 PM »
   "Fiasco" by Thomas Ricks will be a primary source for future generations trying to understand the Iraq war during the pre war period August 2002 through early 2006. After twenty years reporting on the military for the Wall Street Journal and the Washington Post, Ricks uses many "on the record sources" to indict the leadership which led us into the current quagmire. George W Bush, Paul Wolfowitz and Thommy Franks are heavily criticized but Donald Runsfeld is the man deemed responible for so much that has gone wrong.

"Fiasco" can be a tough read because of the sense of loss; of lives and money and opportunities; but it is well written and should be read by anyone concerned about our country's present and future place in the world.

Bill

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #469 on: September 21, 2006, 03:04:17 PM »
Bill--

THANKS for sharing. I heard the same thing about that book. I do intrend to get it. The thing is that the two newspaper he was from are considered 'Consertative.' So, I feel should be more well rounded and maybe change a few conservative minds.

I just bought 'Passion for Islam' by Caryle Murphy. Read about half of it at the store. It talks about both the Extreemists and those in Islam who are against them. It mostly talks about Muslims in Egypt. So, far its a good read.

Tom

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #470 on: September 22, 2006, 07:17:07 AM »
I haven't read it, but Rupert Everett has a new book out!

Rupert Everett Says "Being Gay Is A Young Man's Game"

September 22, 2006 6:30 a.m. EST

Maira Oliveira - All Headline News Reporter
London, England (BANG) - For the most part, Rupert Everett says being gay after the age of 40 generally means you're history.

The 47-year-old actor, who is openly homosexual, says he is single because young gay men aren't interested in dating someone older than them. But that's not true, if they won't take him, we will!

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7004946079

FUNGURL

Casper

« Reply #471 on: September 22, 2006, 03:39:37 PM »
One of the most beautifully written books I have ever read, and I swear I'm going to read it again was "My Antonia" by Willa Cather.  There was a paragraph she wrote in it about the laundry fluttering against the blue sky, I can't remember exactly what it said, but believe it or not, she took something so mundane, and made it seem lyrical.

Annabel, you brought back memories.  I had to read "My Antonia" when I was in the 10th grade. 

Offline Sharyn

• Obsessed
  • I've this crazy old notion that calls me sometimes
« Reply #472 on: September 23, 2006, 08:33:23 AM »
Hey Everyone...
Been a while since I've posted... but I visit everyday!

Anyway, just caught up with Dave's Frank Rich review in TDS and wanted to piggy back off that by telling you I just finished Frank Rich's 2000 memoir, Ghost Light and it's still with me. He tells the story of growing up in Washington DC circa 1958-1968, split between his divorced-then-remarried parents and finding solace in the boomming theatre industry. He intertwines his love-bordering-obsession with broadway shows into his troubled life at home with a depressed yet lovely and devoted mother and her energetic yet domineering abusive second husband.  Frank is also befriended by Clayton Coots, an indelible character not only in the book but in Frank's life. Clayton is a theatre manager and not only hooks Frank up with tickets to shows but listens to and supports the teenage Frank like no other adult in his life.

I live just outside of DC and I enjoyed reading about the area and city during that time period. Frank touches on the historical and political changes during that time as well. I love reading about personal accounts/experiences of history as it's unfolding... like the election, inauguration, and then assassination of JFK; Frank experienced it all.  I love broadway, but am no way obsessed like Frank, yet I really enjoyed seeing the theatre through his eyes. I also did not experience divorce, but his book is the first real account, for me anyway, of the effect divorce can have on a child.

I highly recommend this book!   :D
I miss you Jackie!

Offline CANSTANDIT

• Obsessed
  • Special Brokeback Victims Unit
« Reply #473 on: September 23, 2006, 07:54:50 PM »
anyone catch oprah today? she devoted the entire hour to the gay ex-New Jersey governor, and his book, "The Confession."

oprah bothered me a little with some of her questions, but i give her major credit for sincerely trying. she's getting there.

and man, she devoted an entire hour in her coveted premiere week to this. it's an important topic. and the book is #16 on amazon now. it was probably in nowhere land yesterday.

i was also very heartened to hear a great deal of her audience applaud for gay marriage at the end. that gave me a big sense of relief. i don't need the whole country behind me, but it sure does feel better to know that some people are.

the book is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Confession-James-E-McGreevey/dp/0060898623/sr=1-1/qid=1158719208/ref=sr_1_1/103-6208555-3536664?ie=UTF8&s=books
I didn't see Oprah, Dave, but the gov has been interviewed by everyone it seems; the one I saw on some generic news show was enlightening to me for the kind of candor he displayed, in describing the dark, out of the light assignations he felt forced into; I found that painful to hear. And his discussion about just knowing he felt 'disassociated'  as early as age  6, knowing something was off.....He is brave to be so frank, in a society still not quite sure enough of it's humanity.

Offline CANSTANDIT

• Obsessed
  • Special Brokeback Victims Unit
« Reply #474 on: September 23, 2006, 07:56:17 PM »
Does anyone remember Mary Renault's The Persian Boy?

I remember it - I read a load of Mary Renault as a teenager.  I loved the books, but I do remember that there seemed to be very little humour [or very little that I found funny, anyway :)].  Did anyone else find that?
I agree...few if any chuckles.

Online dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #475 on: September 25, 2006, 05:57:47 PM »
Hi,
I thought you were mostly talking about fiction/literature here, but I see a few people have mentioned nonfiction books.  So I'll give you one.  I read my mother's copy of this in July (she said "Don't buy it!  I have it!") so I don't have it on hand to refer to, but it was a good read:

'A Crack in the Edge of the World:  America and the Great California Earthquake of 1906' by Simon Winchester.  It was published in hardcover last October but is due in paperback on October 10, 2006.  It alternated chapters about geology, tectonic plates and earthquake science (you did have to keep on plugging through some of those "rocks" chapters  :D ) with chapters on American history, westward migration, the transcontinental railroad, Spanish settlement of California, early San Francisco history, the political corruption in SF at the time of the earthquake, etc.

I heard of it first through the History Book Club, which I am a member of (or was, before BBM/Cullen Forums/our book club here started consuming all of my time).

There was also a novel set in the city of San Francisco during the earthquake, which I read first.  That was called '1906,' by James Dalessandro, and was in paperback at least by last year.  It was an entertaining read.  The characters were mostly fictional, but not all, and some of the same incidents, corruption, fires, etc. that appeared in the novel are also referred to in the history book.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 07:32:34 PM by dejavu »
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline Castro

• Obsessed
« Reply #476 on: September 26, 2006, 10:23:11 AM »

I didn't see Oprah, Dave, but the gov has been interviewed by everyone it seems; the one I saw on some generic news show was enlightening to me for the kind of candor he displayed, in describing the dark, out of the light assignations he felt forced into; I found that painful to hear. And his discussion about just knowing he felt 'disassociated'  as early as age  6, knowing something was off.....He is brave to be so frank, in a society still not quite sure enough of it's humanity.

I was struck by how much McGreevey said in interviews (and in the book too echoes what many have said here about their own lives.  Actually, Cantstandit, you cut him more slack than he does. 

A few days ago I posted some excerpts from his interview with Larry King.  Here:
The transcript of Larry King's interview with McGreevey is up now...
King asked him about his experiences with women; McGreevey said that sure, they were pleasurable. He went on, in response to a followup question:

MCGREEVEY:  I mean like I not only didn't choose [homosexuality], I fought it every step of the way and, yes, I mean [straight sex is] pleasurable in that moment and it's pleasurable because frankly you take all these images from television, from reading about this is supposed to be pleasurable.But at some level there is like you know in your heart and your soul and your body that that's not -- that's not you. I'm not reacting to a woman the way my buddies did. I'm not reacting to girls. I mean I know that I'm gay.

Several times the issue of lying to oneself came up:

KING: Walking down the aisle first marriage. You feel "I shouldn't be doing this"?
MCGREEVEY: No. No. I wanted to do this. I wanted to get married. This is a beautiful woman, a great ceremony, a loving family. I got this thing beat.

There was also a moment oddly reminiscent of Ennis and Jack, when he spoke of his disastrous affair with Cipel
:

MCGREEVEY: Oh, yes. The crazy thing is we never discussed being gay. We never talked about it.
KING: It just happened one night?
MCGREEVEY: It happened but then even when you continue it, it's just like, you know, you're not admitting.
KING: You never said "I'm gay, you're gay" either?
MCGREEVEY: No.
KING: Never used the word?
MCGREEVEY: No, you never use the word. The word is something that's, you know...
KING: But you had relations?
MCGREEVEY: Oh, yes.

Offline dback

• Obsessed
« Reply #477 on: September 27, 2006, 11:43:28 AM »
Man, this is a tough one for me.

The guy messed up two marriages, and had two daughters, to prove his masculinity and heterosexuality.  He compromised his position by putting his male lover in a Homeland Security role for which he was probably unsuited.  Said lover claims that their relationship was about power, control, and harassment.  (Taken with a grain of salt, but still.)  Numerous people in his administration indicted for corruption.  He walks blithely away, meets an adorable Australian rich guy with a killer smile (who bears a passing resemblance to the lover who threw him over!), they move to a gorgeous house in the 'burbs, he gets a bestseller and an Advocate cover, and it's all Happily Ever After--aside from his shellshocked and betrayed wife, his administration left with a stain and in a shambles, etc.  (Not to mention all the gay teenagers and people who wanted to get married that he screwed over to preserve his reputation.)

And yet, seeing him on Larry King more than "The View" or "Oprah" (though Rosie was incredibly kind and gracious to him on "The View," helping him fend off some of Elizabeth's sharper jabs), when he was openly weeping as he recounted his life up till this point, I felt an incrediible wave of tenderness towards him.  I imagine growing up a nice Irish-Catholic boy in Jersey in the late sixties/early seventies must have been incredibly hard for him, especially as he seemed to suffer from the common gay man's syndrome of Best Little Boy In The World.  I want nothing for him but peace and happiness and true love since he's been denied all of them for so long.

However, I will be monitoring him very carefully over the next several years, and seeing if his compassionate, contrite rhetoric actually matches his deeds--working on behalf of gay teens, AIDS sufferers, marriage rights, non-discrimination, etc. will go a long way towards repairing his image for me as a narcissist who screwed up almost everything he touched for his own gain.  (After all, I bash George Bush for exhibiting the same qualities, but without the being-in-the-closet angle--although maybe you could compare McGreevy's coming out process to Bush's overcoming alcoholism and embracing religion, but that doesn't seem to have made him (Bush) any less of a lazy, smug, self-serving, incompetent jerkoff.  The same standard will hold for McGreevy.)  I don't plan on buying his book--he certainly doesn't seem to be hurting for money--but I would like to read it someday.

Ennis and Jack had their self-loathing issues and shock waves that reverberated through their families, but they were never in positions of authority and power.  Unfairly or no, such people who ask for the reins of power are held to a different standard.  (Quoth Cliff Robertson in "Spider-Man": "With great power comes great responsibility.")  I hope McGreevy uses his newfound power and responsibility wisely.
"No reins on this one."

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #478 on: September 27, 2006, 12:36:07 PM »
Hello all...first time in here ;D

I just watched the movie 'Home at the end of the world' and saw in the credits that it was based on a book. So, anyone wanna stick their head out and recommend or not??
Andy.
the shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #479 on: September 27, 2006, 01:51:54 PM »
Hello all...first time in here ;D

I just watched the movie 'Home at the end of the world' and saw in the credits that it was based on a book. So, anyone wanna stick their head out and recommend or not??
Andy.

Andy, I haven't read it, but Michael Cunningham is a very well received author.  He's the author of 'The Hours' (for which he wrote the Pulitzer Prize) as well as 'Home At The End of the World'.

I've just looked through various databases for reviews and when it came out (long before the film) Library Journal said "This well-written book has lots of good dialog and will appeal to readers who want something other than the tried and true bestseller"

If you read it let us know what you think - and welcome to this thread! 
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper