The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)  (Read 523814 times)

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
Re: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2006, 01:11:28 PM »
QUEER COWBOYS by Chris Packard.

Hard to find. I bought the hard cover via Amazon which was expensive.

It's similar (but slightly different) than what GLBT writer Jonathan Ned Katz has also written in the past w/ several of his books

This sounds great!  Katz was a real touchstone for me - I loved 'Gay American History'!
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2006, 01:15:45 PM »
I still haven't finished The Year of Magical Thinking.

Not sure if . . .

a. it was started to get a bit repetitious, or

2. just too damn depressing.

For me it was that it was repetitious.  Oddly enough I did the same thing - read about half of it and put it down (which is rare for me).  Admittedly I read 'Running with Scissors' and 'Dry' shortly before this - so I may have just been overdosing on Mr. Burroughs (heh), but I also found something similar to what I've found in later David Sedaris works - sometimes his voice grates on me a bit.  Sort of like a friend that always complains when you see them - it makes visiting with them a chore.
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

Offline Passion

• Cant have enough
  • Obsessed
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2006, 01:34:47 PM »
Here is a list of books from my Bookclub this last year. My top three on the list are Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons---don't let the title frighten you, it is about a group of women and their friendship over a 30 year span---I loved the characters and the lesson is that you really need to trust your friends.  My Sister's Keeper---about a girl that was conceived to help save her sister's life.  Very thought provoking and a roller coaster ride of emotions.  Kiterunner--because it made me feel I was in the middle of Kabul--I usually don't like a lot of descriptions in the books I read but this one really grabbed ahold of me--also very impressed that this was this authors first novel.  All the books were well received by my club. I don't think there is any book on the list that people hated! 

DiVinci Code, Dan Brown   
The 5 People You Meet in Heaven, Mitch Albom   
Angry Housewives Eating BonBons, Lorna Landvik   
Bridget Jones Diary, Helen Fielding   
Lovely Bones, Alice Siebold   
Time Traveller's Wife,Audrey Niffenegger   
Red Tent,Anita Diamant   
Skinny Dip, Carl Haissen 

Lance Armstrong; It's not about the Bike Lance Armstrong/Sally Jenkins 
Confessions of Max Tivoli, Andrew Sean Greer 
#1 Ladies Detective Agency,Alexander McCall Smith 
My Sister's Keeper,Jodi Picoult   
Kiterunner/The 4 Agreements  Khaled Hosseini/Miguel Ruiz
Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd   
The Bride Stripped Bare,Nikki Gemmell 
Middlesex , Jeffrey Eugenides     

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2006, 06:42:24 PM »
And I just have to mention here how happy I am about the Oprah program - she has done a world of good to get people reading.

Thank you all for so many great recommendations.  Speaking of "A Million Little Pieces" - I read recently that Jake G. was wanted for that lead role.  I don't know if that's a done deal or not.  Anyone else see this?

She sure has.

I have a feeling that movie project is going to be on hold--for awhile or forever, after the taint of that scandal.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 07:43:15 PM by Dave Cullen »

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2006, 06:45:38 PM »
I really enjoyed both 'Take the Cannoli' and 'Partly Cloudy Patriot' by Sarah Vowell.  'Take the Cannoli' has a wonderful/heartbreaking essay on the trail of tears entitled "What I See When I Look at the Face on the $20 Bill".  And if you listen to the book on tape of 'Partly Cloudy Patriot' you will get to hear passages read by Seth Green and Conan O'Brien.  I also enjoyed 'Fraud' by Vowell's  (and David Sedaris') 'This American Life' cohort David Rakoff.  And of course David Sedaris is quite a bit of fun too  (particularly his earlier works - 'Naked' and 'Barrel Fever').

I love Sarah on This American Life, but wondered how much it would hold up in print. Haven't given her a real shot, but read 30 pages of Assasins at the bookstore, and it wasn't really working for me.

I recognize the Rakoff name: Is he the guy who did the piece on Mary Poppins' friends setting her up with The Penguin, because they were the only two people they knew engaged in umbrella travel. Fucking brilliant.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2006, 06:47:16 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has read We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lional Shriver?  Here is a description---heard it was a really good book but have not read it.  I thought Dave might have heard about it!
From Publishers Weekly
A number of fictional attempts have been made to portray what might lead a teenager to kill a number of schoolmates or teachers, Columbine style, but Shriver's is the most triumphantly accomplished by far. A gifted journalist as well as the author of seven novels, she brings to her story a keen understanding of the intricacies of marital and parental relationships as well as a narrative pace that is both compelling and thoughtful. Eva Khatchadourian is a smart, skeptical New Yorker whose impulsive marriage to Franklin, a much more conventional person, bears fruit, to her surprise and confessed disquiet, in baby Kevin. From the start Eva is ambivalent about him, never sure if she really wanted a child, and he is balefully hostile toward her; only good-old-boy Franklin, hoping for the best, manages to overlook his son's faults as he grows older, a largely silent, cynical, often malevolent child. The later birth of a sister who is his opposite in every way, deeply affectionate and fragile, does nothing to help, and Eva always suspects his role in an accident that befalls little Celia. The narrative, which leads with quickening and horrifying inevitability to the moment when Kevin massacres seven of his schoolmates and a teacher at his upstate New York high school, is told as a series of letters from Eva to an apparently estranged Franklin, after Kevin has been put in a prison for juvenile offenders. This seems a gimmicky way to tell the story, but is in fact surprisingly effective in its picture of an affectionate couple who are poles apart, and enables Shriver to pull off a huge and crushing shock far into her tale. It's a harrowing, psychologically astute, sometimes even darkly humorous novel, with a clear-eyed, hard-won ending and a tough-minded sense of the difficult, often painful human enterprise.

No, but I quoted that review in my book proposal. hahaha. (seriously.)

Been thinking I should have a look.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2006, 06:48:17 PM »
Here's one I didn't read 'lately' but it surely fits into the whole economic picture of what was going on in BBM:   'Nickel and Dimed: on (not) getting by in America'.  Very interesting picture of what people on the bleeding edge of the economy go through to survive.

I didn't read the book, but did read her piece in Harpers. (Excerpt? Or maybe it was the predessor to the book project.) Either way, I liked it a lot.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2006, 06:50:56 PM »
Not read lately, but one of my all-time favorites, is The Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett. A beautiful book. Magical, really. I've read all of her books, and they're good, but this one is the standout.

I've heard good things about this.

For magical realism fans, any of you tried Jose Saramago? Porteguese guy, not well known here, but won the nobel. I started with The Stone Raft. Liked it a lot.

And not sure this really fits that genre, but Barry Yourgrau's Wearing Dad's Head is one of my all-time favorites.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2006, 06:51:44 PM »
Has anybody read Norah Vincent's book about posing as a male? I just saw her being interviewed on the Colbert Report, and she was fabulous. What a cute dyke! The NYT Book Review was pretty glowing, too. I want to read this book, but I tend to wait until things get to paperback.

No, but she was very amusing on Colbert. And Salon also did a cover story on it.

(Just catching way up on this thread. Can you tell?)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 06:54:22 PM by Dave Cullen »

Offline Sharyn

• Obsessed
  • I've this crazy old notion that calls me sometimes
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2006, 07:28:18 PM »

[/quote

Thank you all for so many great recommendations.  Speaking of "A Million Little Pieces" - I read recently that Jake G. was wanted for that lead role.  I don't know if that's a done deal or not.  Anyone else see this?

I read this too-- but on the iheartjake.com boards and am not sure how reliable that sourse is...  I'd love to see him in that role...

I am currently reading Million Little Pieces and highly recommend it-- regardless of whether or not he stretched the truth

Other recommendations:  (great featured thread Father Dave!)

The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman-- I couldn't put it down this summer

All the President's Men--by Bob Woodward-- I'm 29 years old, and now live in DC. I ate the story of the revealed Deep Throat and enjoyed this oldie. Even liked it better than the movie even though the movie has Rober Redford

Brokeback Mountain of course-- which surprised me ONLY because I am not much of a fan of Annie's style-- I couldn't finish The Shipping News...

Into Quick Mindless Reads?

STEPHANIE PLUM SERIES by Janet Evanovich-- Zany, Hilarious... Not great literature but definitely a beach read!

I miss you Jackie!

Offline LL is inspired

• Feet Wet
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2006, 07:45:27 PM »
Forgive me if this was already addressed--it's a response to a few pages back about Million Little Pieces--the movie. 

"Before the Smoking Gun revealed his fabrications, Frey announced that the film version of his book was being coproduced by Brad Pitt and directed by Mark Romanek.

He listed Ryan Gosling, Tobey Maguire, Orlando Bloom, Josh Hartnett and Jake Gyllenhaal as just a few of the actors in contention to portray him."

The link:
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,18261,00.html

Warner Brothers have put the plans on hold, however, for now, given the revelations of fabications.

LL
"Better off sleepin' in the tent."

Offline hybrid

• Feet Wet
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2006, 07:46:32 PM »
I am just finishing up Lionel Trilling's biography of Matthew Arnold. A demanding book, but extremely thought provoking and broad ranging, it functions as a sort of intellectual history of the formulation of Modernism. So many of the issues Arnold and the other members of the Victorian intelligentsia were dealing with such as the place of religion in society, the relationship between science and religion, the question of what constitutes a just society in a culture dominated by a middle-class business ethic, are all the same issues that we are still struggling with. I have to say that the level of the public discourse in the anglo saxon world hasn't really improved - those Victorians, even the journalists, could sure write circles around the commentator class of today's media.

sskater

« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2006, 08:16:01 PM »
Hello Dave :-* and of course all you folks. I have started "As I lay dying" by W. Faulkner. Whn I read the first few pages I knew it was a book I would enjoy...
Another book I started, "Hidden messages in Water" by Japanese author, Masaru Emoto. He talks about water as being "the life of nature" and "substance is vibration"(quantum Mechanics).

Offline Timothy

• Experienced
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2006, 08:24:48 PM »
I just picked up The Man Who Knew Too Much by David Leavitt.  It a biography of Alan Turing.  I'm only in the first chapter but so far it's interesting.

sskater

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2006, 08:26:11 PM »
small typo: The life FORCE of nature". Hint to all: drink water ::) :-*